Author Topic: Katt's Top 50 Albums v. I bless the rains down in Africa [#1]  (Read 67889 times)

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: Katt's Top 50 Albums v. We are the seven, judgment of heaven [#42]
« Reply #210 on: June 10, 2019, 12:20:27 PM »
Perhaps it's because I got 'in' to Avantasia via The Wicked Trilogy, but I just find the two TMO albums to be really good, but not exactly wow-worthy.  There are some fantastic tunes in there for sure, but overall I still place both of them behind the three Avantasia albums that followed them - yes, even Angel of Babylon (but not by much).

Yea I didn't get into Avantasia until way later so the first two albums definitely feel different, but also just kind of aren't as good as what came after.  Solid albums for sure, just not consistent enough for me to rank them any higher than the bottom of Avantasia's discography.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #211 on: June 10, 2019, 12:57:07 PM »
I am a staunch defender and advocate of the Golden Years Of Power Metal, which were propelled chiefly in my mind by the likes of (early) Avantasia and Edguy, Rhapsody, Stratovarius, Sonata Arctica, and Blind Guardian, more or less. Back in the day, when there was no Scarecrow, when Avantasia was on indefinite hiatus, man, there was VERY little in the minds of myself and the power metal communities I was in that was on the level of Metal Opera II. It's showing its age now... but damn is it special to me.

Note: Moonglow actually beat out Iced Earth for a position on this list. Sorry, IE. Something Wicked almost made it to #50.
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #212 on: June 10, 2019, 01:03:18 PM »
Yea, I can totally see that.  If I had been a fan at that time, those albums would probably be regarded much higher

Offline Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
« Reply #213 on: June 10, 2019, 01:03:40 PM »
I think Part 1 of the Metal Operas is the better of the two. Part 2 is still really good though.

And my favorite Avantasia record is still The Scarecrow.
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #214 on: June 10, 2019, 01:06:25 PM »
I'm also pretty young by this forum's average (no offense  :lol) so of course my age surely colors my impression of those years. I was like 12 when I started really digging into power metal. That was 16 years ago! Spent a lot of time growing up with Pt. II. Pt. I rules. If I did a top 100...
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #215 on: June 10, 2019, 01:10:10 PM »
damn, I definitely didn't know what power metal was at 12, I was still just listening to what was on the radio although just starting to find my own path, but yea, those albums that I loved around that age, I still love today and would probably turn some heads if I did a top 50 because they would land somewhere around them (this was mostly punk/ska music for me).

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #216 on: June 10, 2019, 01:15:23 PM »
Listened to Infinite and Poetry for the Poisoned.  Enjoy'd the latter more than the former, but Infinite was a good listen.  I suppose hearing it without the buildup of the run of albums before it (talking about PftP here) allows me to appreciate it for what it is, and not with any pre-conceived notions or expectations.  This is one Kamelot album that I haven't actually purchased, so I think I'll add it to my library.  Ooohhh... $10, and iTunes is selling a bonus Live at Wacken 2010 disc along with it.  Cha-ching :fistpump:

Yay  :biggrin:

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #217 on: June 10, 2019, 01:40:20 PM »
Yea, I can totally see that.  If I had been a fan at that time, those albums would probably be regarded much higher

Ditto.

damn, I definitely didn't know what power metal was at 12, I was still just listening to what was on the radio although just starting to find my own path

Ditto.  Wasn't until I was 14 that I got myself converted to real music.  And I can TOTALLY relate to the fact that music we discovered in our most influential years (ie, teens) still resonates.  My Top 50 has albums like Dr. Feelgood, Whitesnake, Skid Row, Appetite for Destruction, Slippery When Wet, Hysteria.  Things that aren't exactly in my wheelhouse nowadays, if not for being ingrained in my musical DNA.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #218 on: June 10, 2019, 01:49:51 PM »
The changing of tastes is inevitabre!!!

Offline twosuitsluke

• Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
« Reply #219 on: June 10, 2019, 02:33:59 PM »
Man, I didn't get into power metal until the mid 2000's. Even then I listened to a limited number of bands (mainly Sonata Arctica, Hammerfall, Helloween and DragonForce). This is making me want to give some of these other albums a go. I'm familiar with most of the bands here and have listened to albums by Avantasia, Stratovarius and Kamelot, just not any of the actual albums listed.

I'm following along and adding stuff to my Spotify playlists. It may take me a number of months before I get around to some of these but dammit Katt, you've got me curious as to what power metal gems I missed out on!

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
« Reply #220 on: June 10, 2019, 02:35:35 PM »
At 14 I was listening to dream theater, nowadays I only listen to brutal blackened deathcore grind and think anything less heavy than that isn't real music so I understand

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #221 on: June 10, 2019, 02:54:41 PM »
Man, I didn't get into power metal until the mid 2000's. Even then I listened to a limited number of bands (mainly Sonata Arctica, Hammerfall, Helloween and DragonForce). This is making me want to give some of these other albums a go. I'm familiar with most of the bands here and have listened to albums by Avantasia, Stratovarius and Kamelot, just not any of the actual albums listed.

I'm following along and adding stuff to my Spotify playlists. It may take me a number of months before I get around to some of these but dammit Katt, you've got me curious as to what power metal gems I missed out on!

This makes me happy! Take your time. :metardica:

Dragonforce absolutely dominated my musical life from 2004 to 2010. I'd say outside of Stratovarius they had the most mammoth impact on my taste. I used to listen to all 3 early albums at least once a day, every day, for months on end. MONTHS.

EDIT: I think I'll start adding Spotify links to the albums from now on, for ease of access.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2019, 03:09:16 PM by Kattelox »

Offline twosuitsluke

• Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
« Reply #222 on: June 10, 2019, 03:11:50 PM »
Looking forward to seeing my fave (Sonic Firestorm) featured later then.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #223 on: June 10, 2019, 03:13:14 PM »
I used to listen to all 3 early albums at least once a day, every day,

Which ironically can be achieved by only listening one song.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #224 on: June 10, 2019, 03:19:43 PM »
Haven't heard that one before!!  :neverusethis:

Offline King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• I find your lack of filtered water disturbing
  • DTF.org Member
  • Together we can rule the ocean as father and son
« Reply #225 on: June 10, 2019, 05:22:37 PM »
Ditto.  Wasn't until I was 14 that I got myself converted to real music.  And I can TOTALLY relate to the fact that music we discovered in our most influential years (ie, teens) still resonates.  My Top 50 has albums like Dr. Feelgood, Whitesnake, Skid Row, Appetite for Destruction, Slippery When Wet, Hysteria.  Things that aren't exactly in my wheelhouse nowadays, if not for being ingrained in my musical DNA.
To be fair, Whitesnake, Slippery When Wet, and Hysteria are all fantastic albums.
aka Puppies_On_Acid
I peed next to Ian Mosley and Mark Kelly
Derek Sherinian probably stands 10 feet away from the urinal, shoots from downtown, and announces loudly that he's making history.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #226 on: June 10, 2019, 05:24:55 PM »
Hysteria blows.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #227 on: June 10, 2019, 05:39:38 PM »
Those are all great albums

• DTF.org Member
aka Puppies_On_Acid
Derek Sherinian probably stands 10 feet away from the urinal, shoots from downtown, and announces loudly that he's making history.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #229 on: June 10, 2019, 07:08:09 PM »
It's terrible. I know. It's me. But it might be one of the most disappointing albums I've ever heard. We waited so long for that album.

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #230 on: June 10, 2019, 07:20:57 PM »
It's terrible. I know. It's me. But it might be one of the most disappointing albums I've ever heard. We waited so long for that album.
I'll admit that it was no where near as good as the albums that preceded it. And there are a few clunkers, but overall it's an enjoyable album.
aka Puppies_On_Acid

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #231 on: June 10, 2019, 07:22:37 PM »
I found it so frustrating. Like, what happened to Def Leppard. It's a different band. I'm not saying there aren't some decent tunes on it (there aren't..), The B sides were so much better.

It is just overproduced studio crap.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #232 on: June 10, 2019, 08:14:14 PM »
So...back to the countdown..

The Metal Opera Part II is a great album. I love The Seven Angels, especially the back and forth between DeFeis and Kiske in the early verses. Might be my favorite Avantasia passage.

Chalice Of Agony!! :metal

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #233 on: June 10, 2019, 08:32:01 PM »
Hysteria blows.
:nono:

Oh don’t worry, I knew that was coming. Nowadays, I’d sooner reach for Pyromania, but Hysteria was the one that had the bigger impact on me. And if not for Love Bites, it would be a 5* album.
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #234 on: June 10, 2019, 08:46:24 PM »
To me, the only "real" Def Leppard song on Hysteria is Gods Of War.

In a vacuum, I like the title track, Love And Affection, and Run Riot. But I hardly consider them Def Leppard songs. At least not the Def Leppard I grew up with.

The studio gadgetry is such a turn off.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #235 on: June 10, 2019, 08:56:04 PM »
Well, I mean... they only had 9 hands to work with.  :lol

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #236 on: June 10, 2019, 08:57:56 PM »
Yeah, how dare a band not write and record the exact same style of album throughout their career. :p

Hysteria was either the first or second CD I bought with my own money for my own stereo I also bought with my own money. I was familiar with the hits from H&D/Pyromania but not as full albums. A couple of the Hysteria singles were out by this time and I loved it. I didn't weigh my love for it in the context of their other albums. It was just a damn fine album from start to finish.

And yeah, Avantasia is a band I've been trying to listen to more of since my own Roulette.

"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #237 on: June 10, 2019, 09:01:56 PM »
You guys are excused for buying Hysteria as young lads with your lawn mowing allowance. :lol

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #238 on: June 10, 2019, 09:07:24 PM »
Uh, hello... I delivered newspapers. You know, those pieces of paper that your generation still gets all your news from. 
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #239 on: June 10, 2019, 09:10:27 PM »
I delivered papers from September of 1983 to September of 1984. That paper route paid for my first concert, ironically Def Leppard, and so many albums. I think I bough 1 or 2 a week for most of that year.

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #240 on: June 10, 2019, 11:22:46 PM »
Listened to Moonglow again. I give it a 6/10

I'm giving Shambala another listen.
aka Puppies_On_Acid

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #241 on: June 11, 2019, 05:15:59 AM »
Great pick.  I prefer part 1, but part 2 isn't far behind.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #242 on: June 11, 2019, 08:11:46 AM »
I found it so frustrating. Like, what happened to Def Leppard. It's a different band. I'm not saying there aren't some decent tunes on it (there aren't..), The B sides were so much better.

It is just overproduced studio crap.

I have a man-crush on TAC right now.  High 'n' Dry was - at the time - about the perfect album.  Ten songs, no f*****g around, even the ballad had some balls to it.    Pyromania was... well...  okay, it's good, but there were one or two songs that maybe the chicks liked a little too much.   But there was still some balls (we all knew it was Steve Clark holding down the fort!)   And then... the arms wheels fell off and everything changed.   The first singles here in the States were Animal and Women, and neither one had the urgency or the immediacy of "Let It Go" or "Billy's Got A Gun".   And then it got worse:  "Hysteria", "Love Bites"...  and back then, it wasn't "CDs" or "downloads", it was 7" singles, and I remember being at college and flipping over "Animal" and listening to "I Wanna Be Your Hero" or flipping over "Women" and hearing "Tear It Down" (not the same version as on Adrenalize) then later, the b-side "Ring Of Fire", and thinking "who was the brainiac that left THESE off the record??

I don't think Hysteria "blows", but at the time it was a huge left turn (make that sound of a record needle being pulled off the record right about now) and for a guy that was bigger into Priest, Maiden, Ozzy, Rainbow, Rush...   yeah. 

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #243 on: June 11, 2019, 08:19:15 AM »
The good songs on Hysteria: Rocket, Animal, Love Bites, Pour Some Sugar On Me, Armageddon It, Hysteria (Animal RULES!)

The good songs on Pyromania: Photograph, Foolin', Rock of Ages

Hysteria wins easily. One of the few 80s albums I grew up with! My mom had both of those on cassette. I remember not liking Leppard as a little kid because they were "too heavy"  :rollin No wonder I grew up to like Aquaria. I bet if I was born in the 70s I would've been a diehard Leppard fan. I just DO NOT get what they've been doing since those days, though. Very weird direction they've gone.

Also Tobias Sammet wrote the best Def Leppard song Def Leppard never wrote: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3SVLBZyOO4w (I think it's about one of their roadies who loves DL... lol)

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #244 on: June 11, 2019, 08:29:47 AM »
I'm not arguing with you Katt; I've come to really like Hysteria.  But at the time it was such a jarring blow.   You've got to remember, too, Hysteria came out in August of 1987.  Guess what was released LITERALLY just two weeks before?

(And honestly, Leppard recreates that record live about as well as any band can; they get a lot of shit for perhaps... "augmenting" their sound, but I saw them on the Kiss/Def Leppard tour a couple years ago from like the 15th row, and frankly, other than the transition from the intro-tape of "Won't Get Fooled Again" to them playing it live, there was no vocal/guitar/drum funny business (they did pipe in some of the sound effects).