Author Topic: Katt's Top 50 Albums v. I bless the rains down in Africa [#1]  (Read 68407 times)

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: Katt's Top 50 Albums v. Heaven's closed and Hell's sold out [#3]
« Reply #1155 on: August 05, 2019, 09:12:01 AM »
If memory serves correct the only song on this album that I really liked was Broken and you have almost every other track in your best  :biggrin:   I think this was the first of theirs that I tried too.    I guess SA just never really clicked with me like they do with some...........Stratovarius over SA every time for me :)
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1156 on: August 05, 2019, 09:21:02 AM »
I never listened to this one.  I have Ecliptica and Silence and then got Unia and never came back to the band well until your top 50.  Just put the first track on and its pretty good.  I don't think I'm going to fall in love with this band or anything, but it seems like this might have been an album I missed in my discovery 10 years ago since I got the first two and then got the recent one at the time (Unia). 

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1157 on: August 05, 2019, 11:12:41 AM »
Not to bag on this band or album, but I listened to a couple of the songs that were linked, and they kind of epitomize why I don't generally gravitate toward power metal.  There is some obvious, undeniable talent and musicianship.  But there are also a lot of power metal tropes that, to me, feel ubiquitous and overused in the genre (for example, the use of only one of two possible drum beats, both featuring double bass at approximately 8 million BPS). 
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #1158 on: August 05, 2019, 11:13:21 AM »
Story of the thread, join the club. But this album has more than 2 drum beats
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1159 on: August 05, 2019, 11:18:41 AM »
I'm exaggerating, of course.  But you get the idea.  I'm just saying why it doesn't click for me, that's all. 
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline romdrums

« Reply #1160 on: August 05, 2019, 11:25:38 AM »
Katt, I've never been so interested in reading a thread about bands I have little to no interest in.  I mean that with respect. :tup 
Though we live in trying times, we're the ones who have to try. -Neil Peart, 1952-2020.

There is a fundamental difference between filtered facts and firehosed opinions. -Stadler.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1161 on: August 05, 2019, 11:28:29 AM »
 :biggrin: Glad to entertain. Only two to go! Probably very easy to predict, too.
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1162 on: August 05, 2019, 11:31:06 AM »
 :lol

It's definitely been an entertaining ride reading/listening through this

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1163 on: August 05, 2019, 11:33:28 AM »
Katt, I've never been so interested in reading a thread about bands I have little to no interest in.  I mean that with respect. :tup 

This.  And as a result, I have at least given several of these albums a try, even if the end result has often been "no thanks; not for me."

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1164 on: August 05, 2019, 11:36:24 AM »
That's all I can ask, is that if people care enough, to give the songs a try (even if they're not the ones I linked). But I especially hope people do that for something that's entirely out of their wheelhouse, like, say, Enya, or Kings of Leon. I certainly don't expect them to click with many people, but it's the effort spent trying out something new and unfamiliar or even uncomfortable that is the fascinating thing about these threads (top (whatever) lists, roulettes, etc.).

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1165 on: August 05, 2019, 11:38:55 AM »
I know I didn't like everything posted, but there's a few bands I actually did like and want to check out more.  Then there's just plenty I gave a shot and weren't bad but nothing to make me want to dig further.  It's still cool to just listen to something else even if only one song just to experiment and see what else is out there, plus I know you, Katt, have pretty similar tastes to myself so I figured there's some middle ground here and there was for sure. 

Offline gazinwales

« Reply #1166 on: August 05, 2019, 02:03:17 PM »
As much as I love old Sonata, the first 4 albums are close to a perfect quartet of power metal albums in my collection.
But I probably wouldn't put WHG at the top, though it does have some very strong material, it also has some filler.
The love affair with SA would end soon after Unia, and now I have no interest in them at all.

Offline Ruba

« Reply #1167 on: August 05, 2019, 02:39:03 PM »
You'll probably hate me for saying this Katt, but both Stratovarius and Sonata are performing on a same day this month in my hometown.

I'm not a big fan of power metal but out of those two, Strato's probably more of my thing.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1168 on: August 05, 2019, 02:40:45 PM »
You'll probably hate me for saying this Katt, but both Stratovarius and Sonata are performing on a same day this month in my hometown.

I'm not a big fan of power metal but out of those two, Strato's probably more of my thing.

Truthfully... I don't care about seeing Sonata Arctica live anymore. Their live shows are a bit dreadful these days ("pants" is what the Brits would say, yeah?) and I strongly dislike the sets they play now. But Stratovarius? Mad jelly. It's been 10 years since they came over here...

Offline Ruba

« Reply #1169 on: August 05, 2019, 02:48:54 PM »
Hopefully they'll drag their asses over to Illinois (?) next time they'll tour US then, about time!

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1170 on: August 05, 2019, 02:49:34 PM »
Kamelot, Sonata Arctica, and Battle Beast one week after ProgPower, going to be an awesome show.  I'll be amping up my listening to SA that week I'd imagine, as well as Battle Beast (I still haven't gotten their new album).   

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1171 on: August 05, 2019, 02:53:03 PM »
Hah! You're good, Ruba, Illinois indeed. I don't expect them back anytime soon, maaaybe for another ProgPower... sigh.

@cram - I'm still on the fence about going to that show. I saw that tour last year except when it was with Delain and not SA, but Battle Beast would be the most fun set of the night imo, and I'm not all that crazy about them even though the show is a lot of fun. That single they put out turned me off of paying attention to the new record too. I guess we'll see how much money I have to play with after PP  :lol

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1172 on: August 05, 2019, 02:56:36 PM »
I always wanted Battle Beast when I was a kid.  I remember one of my friends had one, and I was jealous.  I think there were actually two versions, where one had a little trap door on his back that you could stick He-Man's legs into so he could ride, and then another one without.  Or was Battle Beast for Skeletor?  Now that I think about it, I don't remember for sure.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2019, 03:04:24 PM by bosk1 »

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1173 on: August 05, 2019, 03:00:53 PM »
 :lol

Also wasn't a big fan of the new single so held off on the album, until the time comes, but I do agree, they were AWESOME live.  I didn't know them at all when I saw the same show as you, and they blew me away.  I saw the same tour again in Denver on a work trip and was more into them for that show to enjoy it even more.  Also, they had a crazy loud and into it crowd for them in Denver.  I think they will be really good to see again this year, also coming off ProgPower I'm sure I'll be itching for a little more.

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #1174 on: August 05, 2019, 03:47:59 PM »
I gave the Kings of Leon album and thought it was decent, but not exactly gripping for the mood I was in. This Sonata Arctica is probably not quite right either, if past experience is anything to go by.
Quote from: black_floyd
Oh seneca, how you've warmed my heart this evening.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1175 on: August 05, 2019, 07:23:32 PM »
I just listened to some songs off this record and, yup, still all killer no filler. :metardica:

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1176 on: August 05, 2019, 11:24:54 PM »
I'll defend Michael here, this is a wonderful and underrated album.  The style is slightly changing on this one, but I love the darker power metal tone of this album.

The opener is one of the best and definitely most underappreciated songs.  Broken and Victoria's Secret are two of my favs also. 
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1177 on: August 06, 2019, 06:09:24 AM »
See, Kade knows what's up.

Offline twosuitsluke

• Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
« Reply #1178 on: August 06, 2019, 10:50:21 AM »
I mean I like SA but Ecliptica and Silence is where it's at for me. I have had Winterhearts Guild, on various mp3 players, for at least 12 years, however I couldn't name on song off it. It was just never very interesting to me and I couldn't get into it!

For the sake of this thread I'll listen tonight, it's been years since I have it a spin.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
Katt's Top 50 Albums v. Where have all the years gone? [#2]
« Reply #1179 on: August 06, 2019, 01:54:33 PM »
STRATOVARIUS
EPISODE
Melodic Power Metal

released April 22nd, 1996 via T&T Records

1. Father Time [5:02]
2. Will The Sun Rise? [5:06]
3. Eternity [6:56]
4. Episode (instrumental) [2:01]
5. Speed of Light [3:03]
6. Uncertainty [5:59]
7. Season of Change [6:57]
8. Stratosphere (instrumental) [4:52]
9. Babylon [7:09]
10. Tomorrow [4:52]
11. Night Time Eclipse [7:58]
12. Forever [3:06]
13. When the Night Meets the Day* [5:30]

*Japanese bonus track

EPISODE is

Timo Tolkki (Guitars / Backing vocals)
Timo Kotipelto (Lead vocals)
Jari Kainulainen (Bass)
Jens Johansson (Keyboards)
Jörg Michael (Drums)

WITH

Kimmo Blom (Backing vocals)
Marko Vaara (Backing vocals)
Richard Johnsson (Backing vocals)
Pasi Puolakka (Flute on 12)

Ya’ll know what it is.

I identify a lot with Timo Tolkki’s lyricism, particularly in the late 90s Stratovarius material, and the opening song “Father Time” not only resonates with me on a very deep level, but I think everything about it, from the instrumentation to its philosophical lyrical theme, encapsulates the very essence of power metal. It’s about reflection of life and love and individuality and this fierce inner strength in every individual, fueled by sheer determination and willpower to accomplish what you set your mind to. Staying optimistic in the face of adversity. The lyrics do talk about this directly, but the music itself paints this musical landscape with loud, thunderous double bass drumming and mighty snares; lightning-fast guitar shredding, keyboard leads that complement the guitar theatrics perfectly, and a singer whose full-bodied, rich high notes split the sky like a siren to punctuate each verse and chorus. I am 150% all about that super positive optimistic outlook on life set to a backdrop of super loud and super fast music. Happiness can be very metal, it’s all about how you channel that energy.

And half the time the album isn’t even that fast. It’s varied as hell. Fast tracks: Father Time, Will The Sun Rise?, Speed of Light, Stratosphere (the first half), Tomorrow. That’s it. Eternity is a mid-tempo rocker. Episode is an instrumental prelude to Speed of Light. Uncertainty is a mid-tempo rocker, Season of Change is a brooding, mysterious rumination on appreciating life. Babylon stomps at a very slow pace for a metal song, but contains one of the album’s best moments when Kotipelto’s voice rises impossibly high, and Jens Johansson’s lead solo comes in on the same note Kotipelto reaches, which gives me chills every single time. Night Time Eclipse and When the Night Meets the Day are more mid-tempo rockers with catchy riffs and vocals, and Forever is a heartbreaking ballad about Tolkki’s late father.

And that’s part of why I find it a landmark power metal album. It DOESN’T lean entirely on high vocals and super fast playing. Less than half the album is that, actually. What makes this power metal is in its lyrical themes and its attention to how the guitars and drums and vocals are used to create a metal-sounding song even when the tempo isn’t 160+ BPM.

In Summary: I could go on and on but I'll stop here. I don't expect anyone to share my love for this record, but this album was the start of what is largely considered Stratovarius's golden period, and for the next few years they'd continue to put out classic album after classic album without fail. This is the greatest metal record of all time in my opinion and it’s not even close. This is an album that was literally lifechanging for me. Timo and Jens were the perfect guitar-keyboard duo. Jens keeps up with Timo at all times, never letting up, and even matches him note for note in the instrumental “Stratosphere.” The particular blend and layering of keyboard and guitar leads is something I crave in all power metal. Tolkki wrote 99% of this album himself and so I credit him for my fascination with writing power metal. He was the perfect power metal songwriter and guitarist and in every single way he and the music he wrote have had a big impact on me personally. Best. Metal. Album. EVER. :2metal:

Katt’s Favorites: Father Time, Will The Sun Rise?, Eternity, Speed of Light, Season of Change, Forever

Listen to “Episode” by Stratovarius on Spotify

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
Re: Katt's Top 50 Albums v. Where have all the years gone? [#2]
« Reply #1180 on: August 06, 2019, 02:02:08 PM »
Katt’s Favorites: Father Time, Will The Sun Rise?

:|  Listening...

Okay, these are actually pretty good!  :2metal:

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
« Reply #1181 on: August 06, 2019, 02:10:48 PM »
#1 is Edguy again please i gotta make another meme

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1182 on: August 06, 2019, 02:18:01 PM »
#1 is Edguy again please i gotta make another meme

you shall be more disappointed than nana's goats on harvest day, ed boi

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #1183 on: August 06, 2019, 02:50:16 PM »
See, Episode was one of my first exposure's to Strat (along with Fright Night), and I was wholly unimpressed.  Maybe my ears weren't ready.

I'll put it onto the Katt playlist - to be played on September 8th.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1184 on: August 06, 2019, 02:51:10 PM »
Is September 8h National Cheesey Metal Day?
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1185 on: August 06, 2019, 02:52:05 PM »
See, Episode was one of my first exposure's to Strat (along with Fright Night), and I was wholly unimpressed.  Maybe my ears weren't ready.

I'll put it onto the Katt playlist - to be played on September 8th.

Fright Night is the Rocky Dennis of Strato's catalog. Episode is Margot Robbie.  :lol

Offline emtee

« Reply #1186 on: August 06, 2019, 03:53:04 PM »
Katt, have you ever listened to Yngwie Malmsteen--live In Leningrad?
If not, based upon your tastes, you might be in for a nice surprise.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1187 on: August 06, 2019, 03:57:22 PM »
Katt, have you ever listened to Yngwie Malmsteen--live In Leningrad?
If not, based upon your tastes, you might be in for a nice surprise.

Holy crap, emtee, I haven't seen you in a hot minute! How are you? It's great to see you, seriously. I haven't heard that particular live album but I'm not a big Yngwie fan. I prefer his songs with vocals but I can't think off the top of my head of any that I love. I'll keep that album in mind though!

Offline emtee

« Reply #1188 on: August 06, 2019, 04:02:36 PM »
Joe Lynn Turner is the vocalist on it and honestly, It's one of my favorite
live albums. Check it out.

All is well! Great new job, 3 novels published. Life is good!

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1189 on: August 06, 2019, 04:11:11 PM »
Live in Leningrad is brilliant, as is Episode.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.