Author Topic: Katt's Top 50 Albums v. I bless the rains down in Africa [#1]  (Read 68441 times)

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
great, great album.

Sorry but I'm with pg on Disappear.  If there is one song I've skipped more than any other from DT it is that one.

What's it like to be crazy? :P
Just wanted say something on the Dragonforce before we move on, but that 80's breadown instrumental section in Prepare for War I think it is is fucking out of this world!

Yes it is!

Sonic Firestorm - has at least 3 different back covers, the one posted here, the cardboard sleeve promo and Japan retail all differ slightly.
ZP live, saw them a few times, he never was noticeably below album standard.
Besides when you go to see DF in concert I think most of us are primary going to see Herman and Sam run around onstage shredding and having fun.

Yeah, Sam and Herman are certainly the big draws. ZP was really good live early on but he dipped pretty badly during the tour for Inhuman Rampage which pushed them past their limits and for too long to boot. ZP totally shot his voice by the last tour with the band/he stopped trying. But he could occasionally hit the high notes and they sounded amazing. I really liked the last tour he did when they played bits of Disciples of Babylon and Fields of Despair and Where Dragons Rule. I heard they warmed up during soundcheck a couple times with Cry of the Brave but it was never performed. I wish I had a chance to see more SF songs live though. Only Fields, Soldiers, and Fury, multiple times for the last two. They just refuse to play anything but the staples from the old stuff which sucks... even back in the day they did that.
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline gazinwales

@Kattelox, I am more surprised at some omissions than some of the actual titles on your list.
Given your love for (symphonic) power metal, I was thinking that Therion, Nightwish, Epica would have got at least one album in so far?

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
@Kattelox, I am more surprised at some omissions than some of the actual titles on your list.
Given your love for (symphonic) power metal, I was thinking that Therion, Nightwish, Epica would have got at least one album in so far?

I'm admittedly picky in my tastes. Therion - not a fan at all. Nightwish, I'm a fan and I've seen them live and own all their albums, and Dark Passion Play was originally on the list before I solidified it. I also love Oceanborn. Generally Nightwish is good stuff, but I have my gripes with a lot of the behind the scenes stuff. Epica, I've met them and seen them live; I have Design Your Universe (and a few others) signed by them, and the initial print of Requiem For The Indifferent that's missing vocals on the last track. I don't like everything they've done though, and a lot of it sounds very samey and self derivative and they're especially guilty of formulaic symphonic writing imo which is why I can't put Design Your Universe on here (my favorite Epica album). But I do think they're great musicians and the stuff I do like I think is excellent. An ex girlfriend of mine was a massive Nightwish and Epica fan and turned me onto both of them. Blah blah blah  :biggrin: :lol
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.

Offline gazinwales

Fair enough I have weird tastes too, eg I can't stand Neal Morse's voice on anything but Transatlantic.
But given your love for Rhapsody, I was thinking that you'd include (at least one of) master Luca's solo albums?

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
Fair enough I have weird tastes too, eg I can't stand Neal Morse's voice on anything but Transatlantic.
But given your love for Rhapsody, I was thinking that you'd include (at least one of) master Luca's solo albums?

Nope. To be honest, for all the love I have for Rhapsody, I don't like Luca's solo albums or Dreamquest nearly as much. There are some great songs on there but altogether they aren't even close to top 50 level for me. As for Luca Turilli's Rhapsody... I think Ascending to Infinity rocks. Fantastic album, a bit much at times, but I think it has a couple weak tracks and it's not top 50 level. Prometheus is a poor album, a victim of Luca's modern tendency to throw as much as he possibly can into every moment of every song. Turilli/Lione Rhapsody kind of continues that trend. It's still enjoyable, but not top 50.

In my physical collection alone, not counting a single digital download, I have 480 CDs. That's a lot to filter through...

Offline gazinwales

I love Luca's outside of Rhapsody albums, the first two are in my book are pretty good.
I am closing in on 3000 CD's, so doing a top 50 would be near impossible, plus I don't have the time or desire to do anything like you have done.
So well done for doing this, much appreciated.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
I love Luca's outside of Rhapsody albums, the first two are in my book are pretty good.
I am closing in on 3000 CD's, so doing a top 50 would be near impossible, plus I don't have the time or desire to do anything like you have done.

I'd LOVE to see a top 50 from you mate.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline gazinwales

If you'd asked me 2 months ago before I had surgery on my ankle, I might have finished a list by now, instead I've been at home for almost 8 weeks playing The Division 2 on my XB1...
Plus I am about to move from Sydney down to Nowra, so I'll keep it in mind and slow time put together a top 50.
Expect a shit load of bands from Finland and Sweden, oh and a few from Germany.
I will limit myself to only one album from each band/artist though, that way I'll have to be quite strict with myself.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
If you'd asked me 2 months ago before I had surgery on my ankle, I might have finished a list by now, instead I've been at home for almost 8 weeks playing The Division 2 on my XB1...
Plus I am about to move from Sydney down to Nowra, so I'll keep it in mind and slow time put together a top 50.
Expect a shit load of bands from Finland and Sweden, oh and a few from Germany.
I will limit myself to only one album from each band/artist though, that way I'll have to be quite strict with myself.

Shit, that's no good mate.  I know what surgery on a foot/ankle is like, keeps you out of action for a bit, very frustrating.  Hopefully all recovered now though.  Yeah, I reckon you'd have some awesome obscure stuff in there.  Definitely keep it in mind.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
I'm so far behind on this thread, but just wanted to say I'm with Jon regarding Disappear. Pass ... every single time. Does nothing for me. As for the title track, it's hard to listen to the studio version when we have Score - especially Overture.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns

Yeah me too!!
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni

Yeah me too!!

Same here! Stoked for it.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face

I'm well over 2000 and I feel the same way. There is just no way I could do this. Heck, I don't know that I can even name a number one. A top 5 would probably give me an ulcer. The indecision would kill me.
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Professor, you can only have 50 of those 2000 CDs for the rest of your life. Which ones are they?

would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Yeah, great way to put it Tim.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
I did it  ;D

For me the key was making it one album per band - I also had an honourable mention under each so it might've been a DTF Best 100  :angel:
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline gazinwales

Gentlemen and Ladies, thank you for the encouragement, I have already started on a provisional list.
One album only per band, so far I am up to 64 bands, with only half having a specific album selected.
It's going to take a while...

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
I'm looking forward to reading it! :)

Offline King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• I find your lack of filtered water disturbing
  • DTF.org Member
  • Together we can rule the ocean as father and son
Gentlemen and Ladies, thank you for the encouragement, I have already started on a provisional list.
One album only per band, so far I am up to 64 bands, with only half having a specific album selected.
I'm expecting Moonsorrow to be on it.... :leaveseyes:
aka Puppies_On_Acid
I peed next to Ian Mosley and Mark Kelly
Derek Sherinian probably stands 10 feet away from the urinal, shoots from downtown, and announces loudly that he's making history.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni

:metal

Offline gazinwales

So am I!
But which one I have no idea as I love them all, dearly  :angel:

Offline King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• I find your lack of filtered water disturbing
  • DTF.org Member
  • Together we can rule the ocean as father and son

So am I!
But which one I have no idea as I love them all, dearly  :angel:
My favorite (as everyone knows by now) is Verisakeet, but V is pretty much on the same level. Then there's Kivenkantaja, Voimasta ja kunniasta, and Varjoina kuljemme kuolleiden maassa which are all really close too. Suden Uni and Jumalten aika are both good, but (in my opinion) don't come close to any of the others. Then there's the Tulimyrsky "EP" which is amazing, but I'm not sure it should count in a top 50 album list....maybe... :corn
aka Puppies_On_Acid
I peed next to Ian Mosley and Mark Kelly
Derek Sherinian probably stands 10 feet away from the urinal, shoots from downtown, and announces loudly that he's making history.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
Not sure if I'll have #6 up today or not - still suffering from food poisoning so I'm not sure if I'll get anything done. I think Puppies will like it a lot though...

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
I'm so far behind on this thread, but just wanted to say I'm with Jon regarding Disappear. Pass ... every single time. Does nothing for me.

+1. Not sure why people like this song so much.

Not sure if I'll have #6 up today or not - still suffering from food poisoning so I'm not sure if I'll get anything done. I think Puppies will like it a lot though...

That sucks! Hope you get better soon
When Ginobili gets hot, I get hot in my pants. 

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
I'm so far behind on this thread, but just wanted to say I'm with Jon regarding Disappear. Pass ... every single time. Does nothing for me.

+1. Not sure why people like this song so much.
some of us have emotions  :'(

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
Six Degrees is still my favorite DT, and like Bosky it would place near the top of all time, by anyone!

As for Disappear, I don't understand how music lovers can't see the brilliance of the keyboard and guitar interaction on this song. It has such a twisted-lullaby-on-a-broken-music-box vibe that is incredibly visceral. Coupled with the heart breaking lyrics and JLB's performance. MP's subdued and slightly off kilter drumming...just brilliant!
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
Six Degrees is still my favorite DT, and like Bosky it would place near the top of all time, by anyone!

As for Disappear, I don't understand how music lovers can't see the brilliance of the keyboard and guitar interaction on this song. It has such a twisted-lullaby-on-a-broken-music-box vibe that is incredibly visceral. Coupled with the heart breaking lyrics and JLB's performance. MP's subdued and slightly off kilter drumming...just brilliant!

All of this... it's a tremendous, heartwrenching tune. One of DT's finest ballads, and James knocks it out of the park with his singing.

"So I'm moving on
I'll never forget
As you lay there and watched me
Accepting the end
I knew you were scared
You were strong, I was trying
I gave you my hand
I said it's okay
Letting go, time to leave here
And I'll carry on the best that I can
Without you here beside me
Let him come and take you home"

How anyone can say that's among DT's worst songs confounds me.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
As for Disappear, I don't understand how music lovers can't see the brilliance of the keyboard and guitar interaction on this song. It has such a twisted-lullaby-on-a-broken-music-box vibe that is incredibly visceral.

If by visceral you mean mundane and drab, then I'm with you 100%!

@ Katt... I never said it among their worst, just that it does nothing for me.  It's not bad, but when the bar is as high as it is with DT's catalogue (The Astonishing and James current vocal range notwithstanding), I just tend to pass over it.
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
But it would be nice if they played Disappear live instead of the multitude of songs where James just says "fuck it" and gives up all attempts at proper enunciation and hitting the notes.  :lol

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
But it would be nice if they played Disappear live instead of the multitude of songs where James just says "fuck it" and gives up all attempts at proper enunciation and hitting the notes.  :lol

I'm sure he could do as much damage with Disappear just as much as any other tune.   :lol

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns

I agree. It's really amazing.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns

Offline gazinwales

My favorite (as everyone knows by now) is Verisakeet, but V is pretty much on the same level. Then there's Kivenkantaja, Voimasta ja kunniasta, and Varjoina kuljemme kuolleiden maassa which are all really close too. Suden Uni and Jumalten aika are both good, but (in my opinion) don't come close to any of the others. Then there's the Tulimyrsky "EP" which is amazing, but I'm not sure it should count in a top 50 album list....maybe... :corn

Verisakeet is a very strong contender for top spot, contains my fave Moonsorrow song 'Jotunheim'.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
Katt's Top 50 Albums v. All of our shadows are ashes against the grain [#6]
« Reply #1083 on: July 30, 2019, 08:01:31 AM »
AGALLOCH
ASHES AGAINST THE GRAIN
Atmospheric Folk-Doom Metal

released August 8th, 2006 via The End Records

1. Limbs [9:51]
2. Falling Snow [9:38]
3. This White Mountain On Which You Will Die (instrumental) [1:39]
4. Fire Above, Ice Below [10:29]
5. Not Unlike The Waves [9:16]
6. Our Fortress Is Burning… I (instrumental) [5:25]
7. Our Fortress Is Burning… II: Bloodbirds [6:21]
8. Our Fortress Is Burning… III: The Grain (instrumental) [7:10]
9. Scars of the Shattered Sky (Our Fortress Has Burned To The Ground) (instrumental)* [19:27]

*bonus track only available to an exclusive vinyl edition of the album

ASHES AGAINST THE GRAIN is

John Haughm (Vocals / Guitars / Drums on 2 and 5)
Don Anderson (Guitars)
Jason William Walton (Bass)
Chris Greene (Drums)

*tbh I don’t know if this is the same lineup so I hope it is

WITH

Ronn Chick (Piano on 1, 6 / Ebow on 4)

Ashes Against The Grain is one of the best records I have ever heard. In the almost 13 years I’ve been listening to this album, I still haven’t heard anything like it (Gallowbraid excluded).

There is an angst about this record. Ashes… is like a lamentation on nature. Its brooding atmosphere is thick with the loneliness of a snowy, secluded forest, each reverb-coated chord strummed fluid as water and cold as the winter wind itself. I think John Haughm’s vocals add something quite special to this album, as his “harsh” vocals are my favorite kind – more like a ragged whisper, he sounds like what I imagine an ancient, mighty tree spirit would sound like, crackling and popping like old bark, and adds a certain texture to the music that is impossible to ignore. And when he sings cleanly, like in “Falling Snow,” it is a voice of warmth and beauty, a stark contrast to the grim delivery used elsewhere. “Limbs” is almost 10 minutes long, and yet it has only 8 lines of vocals, singing fantastic poetry:

The texture of the soul is a liquid that casts a vermillion flood
From a wound carved as an oath; it fills the river bank, a sanguine fog
These arms were meant to be lost – hacked, severed, and forgotten
The texture of time is a whisper that echoes across the flood
Its hymn resonates from tree to tree, through every sullen bough it sings
These boughs were said to be lost – torn, unearthed and broken
Earth to flesh, flesh to wood, cast these limbs into the water
Flesh to wood, wood to stone, cast this stone into the water

Unlike a lot of bands, the songs on this album don’t feel long to me. Where other bands have lengthy pieces that seem to meander and lose the plot and sound like multiple songs pieced together like a patchwork of musical ideas – Symphony X, Opeth, plenty of less obvious names as well – Agalloch takes an idea, runs with it, and intelligently elaborates on it until the song seemingly figures out the conclusion all on its own. “Not Unlike The Waves” is a remarkable tune with a watery riff that ebbs and flows like the tide; beautiful warm vocals hang gently on open vowels to create an angelic harmony that is quickly intruded on by demonic growls screaming the Icelandic word for crepuscular rays (Sólstafir).

Along with John Haughm’s vocals, the guitars are the true stars of this record. It doesn’t matter what they’re playing, whether it’s heavy or soft or distorted or clean, they are captivating. The tones are perfect, the harmonies effective, the very sound of the strings being plucked is almost therapeutic to listen to, particularly because the rest of the band tends to drop out during these sections (notably in “Limbs,” “Fire Above, Ice Below,” and “Not Unlike The Waves”) which only emphasizes the guitar that much more. I’ve used the word “watery” here to describe the strummed chords and that’s the perfect word. Other times, such as the main riff in “Limbs” the guitars take on a powerful, earthy sound with a lot of weight behind each pick and strum.

It also took me a couple years, but “The Grain” is a masterpiece. Nothing but ambience and noise but if you listen closely you can hear in the pulsing sounds when the guitar is being played to create the haunting soundscape.

I picture the same scene every time I play this album: nightfall on a wood somewhere out west, where the trees grow so high they pierce the skies and their canopies are unseen. What little of the sky that can be seen is a dark blue, and growing darker. The trees shiver as a cold wind passes through. After some time, there comes a soft glow in the distance, which slowly grows and brightens. It’s accompanied by low groans and sickening snaps, and in time, flames overtake the forest. Birds scatter; some escape, and some succumb to the destruction, falling like snow from fire above to ice below.

In Summary: The Mantle is overrated. Fight me. Ashes is not only one of the best albums I’ve ever heard, it’s one of the best pieces of art I can think of in general.

Katt’s Favorites: Limbs, Falling Snow, Fire Above, Ice Below, Not Unlike The Waves, Our Fortress Is Burning… II: Bloodbirds

Listen to “Ashes Against The Grain” by Agalloch on Spotify

Offline Tomislav95

One of my favorite albums ever :hefdaddy
...the years just pass like trains
I wave but they don't slow down...