Author Topic: Interview with Hugh Syme  (Read 1631 times)

Offline Setlist Scotty

Interview with Hugh Syme
« on: May 31, 2019, 02:06:33 PM »
However you feel about his artwork, it has been the visual aspect of many albums we all have been interested, of course including several DT albums. Just saw that there was an interview with his released, which includes discussion about the artwork for Distance Over Time and Octavarium, besides plenty of Rush talk and other bands. Enjoy!

https://www.vibemachinemedia.com/VibeMachineMedia3/Hugh-Syme-(Rush%2C-Dream-Theater%2C-Megadeth%2C-Aerosmith)
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Online Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: Interview with Hugh Syme
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2019, 02:09:38 PM »
"Religion poisons everything” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline JLa

« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2019, 02:25:36 PM »

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2019, 03:08:36 PM »
Waiting for someone to find the source(s) for all the quotes he lifted from other people.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline Max Kuehnau

• Emotionless Brainiac
  • Doomed to be a man this world forgot
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2019, 03:39:52 AM »
"Youthenasia". "Octovarian". Expert research :D
I liked the interview though, seriously.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2019, 12:50:02 PM by Max Kuehnau »
"All my natural instincts are begging me to stop
But somehow I carry on, heading for the top
A physical absurdity, a tremendous mental game
Helping me understand exactly who I am"

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2019, 01:24:08 PM »
However you feel about his artwork, it has been the visual aspect of many albums we all have been interested, of course including several DT albums. Just saw that there was an interview with his released, which includes discussion about the artwork for Distance Over Time and Octavarium, besides plenty of Rush talk and other bands. Enjoy!

https://www.vibemachinemedia.com/VibeMachineMedia3/Hugh-Syme-(Rush%2C-Dream-Theater%2C-Megadeth%2C-Aerosmith)

Thanks Scotty.   I can probably count on one had the amount of audio/video interviews I've come across with Hugh Syme.

Can't say I pay much attention to his art outside of Rush and Dream Theater but I did know about his corporate work, didn't know about the huge volume of that corporate work though, but I guess it makes sense if you want to pay the bills.

Offline Mebert78

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2019, 10:28:07 AM »
Wow, he came right out and accused the New York Times of plagarism with regard to the Distance Over Time artwork. 
An unofficial online community for fans of keyboardist Kevin Moore (ex-Dream Theater, Chroma Key, OSI):

Offline Fritzinger

« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2019, 11:21:27 AM »
Seriously? He complains about people ripping off his stuff? Bold move.
any rock can be made to roll

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2019, 12:03:29 PM »
You need to include the last ) for the URL to work.

Try this:

Neither link worked. I tried four times and had to close out the whole DT forum page each time, and reload again.   :facepalm:
Now I feel like listening to Load and Reload by Metallica, but I don't think that will help much either..
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2019, 12:39:04 PM »
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2019, 03:24:23 PM »
His real last name is Janus.   :rollin
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White