Author Topic: 2009 Prog Nation poster  (Read 1529 times)

Offline NM156

2009 Prog Nation poster
« on: May 07, 2019, 08:21:15 AM »
I picked this up from my local record store back in the day. I remember being excited because I’m also a huge Pain of Salvation fan. Unfortunately that lineup fell through, and I recall a band called “three” and Scale the Summit being on the bill.
I’ve had this poster framed in my music room ever since.

Can anyone speculate the rarity of it, and recommend a place to offer it?
I’d really like to see it go to a fan.https://www.flickr.com/photos/169948048@N03/46880223355/in/dateposted-public/

Offline Setlist Scotty

Re: 2009 Prog Nation poster
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2019, 12:15:19 PM »
Actually it was Bigelf and Scale the Summit that replaced Pain of Salvation and Beardfish on the North American leg of Prog Nation 2009 - the band Three was the opening band on the previous Prog Nation tour in 2008.

As for how rare it is, I don't know for certain, but it is probably somewhat rare given the fact that PoS and BF ended up not being on the tour. All posters sold during the tour would have had Bigelf and StS listed. In terms of where to offer it (I assume you mean to sell it), eBay is always there. However, you might consider announcing that it is for sale on different message boards like this one, and see if any one is interested. Regarding pricing, I haven't a clue - probably best to list it as "best offer" and take it from there. If no one offers you a price that you think is reasonable, you can try selling it on eBay or just continue to hang on to it.
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline Grizz

« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2019, 07:22:52 PM »
It might not as rare as you might think, Scotty. I believe my ticket says Pain of Salvation and Beardfish, and I feel like the lineup change was announced late at the time. It's certainly possible that a decent amount of stuff got printed with the wrong bands. Maybe that was part of why the tour did poorly financially.
"I raised the baby, I changed the baby's diapers.  Whenever the baby had projectile diarrhea, I was there in the line of fire.  I even got a little in my mouth!  I sacrificed so much for my baby.  Now my baby hates me and thinks Mike Mangini is its real father!"

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2019, 09:25:45 AM »
It might not as rare as you might think, Scotty. I believe my ticket says Pain of Salvation and Beardfish, and I feel like the lineup change was announced late at the time. It's certainly possible that a decent amount of stuff got printed with the wrong bands. Maybe that was part of why the tour did poorly financially.
It may not be that rare, but I'm fairly sure it's somewhat rare. The lineup change happened 1 month before the start of that part of the tour. (http://www.mikeportnoy.com/forum/m2346174.aspx) There would still have been enough time to print new posters to sell at the shows. In fact, I remember MP sending me the artwork for a new "ad mat" containing the revised line up of bands to include in the BCaSL tourbook. I can't remember when the tourbook was printed, but I'm guessing at least 2 weeks before the start of the tour to allow enough time for them to be shipped for the first gig.

As for why the tour did poorly financially, it wasn't because of the lineup change. It was because they were carrying 3 other bands on the bill that they had to pay and cover their costs (transportation, catering, etc.), as well as tours in general not generating as much income as normal that particular year.
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.