Author Topic: What pissed you off today?  (Read 132189 times)

MetalJunkie and 9 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: What pissed you off today?
« Reply #2660 on: January 22, 2024, 04:24:20 PM »
I kind of agree, but these are little girls.  It's kind of hard to have the tough love feel for this.

I was being a little over the top haha, but yeah it would be hard when they are right there looking at you.  Still, I wouldn't feel obliged if I didn't want them.  Although if the price is fair and offers some value in relation to the regular supermarket ones, I'll listen.

I mean, girl scout cookies are usually really fucking good so theres that  :lol  I don't know anything about pricing though, can't recall the last time I personally bought any.

We don't really have the cookies thing over here.  All the fundraising the kids do are with your regular chocolate bars, so you always know what you're getting.  I think people are more inclined to buy too.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #2661 on: January 22, 2024, 05:43:59 PM »
A polite "no thank you" works well enough for me.

(Boy Scouts get a stern NO!)

At the end of the day, this is fine, but I get it, sometimes people feel bad or pressured based on the seller being young girls, often asking very nice and kindly.  Kind of hard to say no honestly, but an excuse is a lot easier.  Or complete avoidance, but even harder if you know the kids.
In my experience an honest and polite answer has always gotten an equally honest and polite reply.

No thanks, kiddo.
OK, thank you.

The only time I've ever gotten anything other than an "OK, thank you" the kid made me laugh enough that I would have bought a box had I any cash on me. (She told me they go great with beer and smokes after seeing what I was walking out with.) I honestly can't wrap my head around feeling pressured by them.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2662 on: January 22, 2024, 05:50:39 PM »

The only time I've ever gotten anything other than an "OK, thank you" the kid made me laugh enough that I would have bought a box had I any cash on me. (She told me they go great with beer and smokes after seeing what I was walking out with.) I honestly can't wrap my head around feeling pressured by them.

:lol

That's a brilliant child!
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2663 on: January 22, 2024, 06:04:43 PM »
A polite "no thank you" works well enough for me.

(Boy Scouts get a stern NO!)

At the end of the day, this is fine, but I get it, sometimes people feel bad or pressured based on the seller being young girls, often asking very nice and kindly.  Kind of hard to say no honestly, but an excuse is a lot easier.  Or complete avoidance, but even harder if you know the kids.
In my experience an honest and polite answer has always gotten an equally honest and polite reply.

No thanks, kiddo.
OK, thank you.

Future sales woman extraordinaire right there.

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #2664 on: January 22, 2024, 06:11:28 PM »
Thanks guys, I forgot that I need to get my plug her $40 tomorrow.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2665 on: January 22, 2024, 06:43:38 PM »
I forgot that I need to get my plug her $40 tomorrow.

This is a Kingshmegpost.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #2666 on: January 22, 2024, 06:46:18 PM »
I approve. 
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #2667 on: January 22, 2024, 07:25:38 PM »
Honored

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #2668 on: January 23, 2024, 07:25:29 AM »
I honestly can't wrap my head around feeling pressured by them.
Me either.  I just don't get it.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2669 on: January 23, 2024, 04:41:20 PM »

People are just softcocks mate.  ;D

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #2670 on: January 24, 2024, 06:48:25 AM »

I know for me, it's not "pressure" per se.  I don't feel "pressured" in the hard sell sense of the word.  I do sometimes feel bad I can't help the world, though. I try to put myself in their shoes, and sometimes that results in the feeling of "you make all this money, but you can't spare $3.50 for a box of Do-Si-Do's?" and the truth is I probably could, but where do you draw the line? 

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #2671 on: January 24, 2024, 07:39:28 AM »

I know for me, it's not "pressure" per se.  I don't feel "pressured" in the hard sell sense of the word.  I do sometimes feel bad I can't help the world, though. I try to put myself in their shoes, and sometimes that results in the feeling of "you make all this money, but you can't spare $3.50 for a box of Do-Si-Do's?" and the truth is I probably could, but where do you draw the line?
Wherever the fuck you want to.

They aren't begging because they are homeless.  They are raising funds for their organization, and they will raise them whether you contribute or not.  So the only thing that matters is, do you want the cookies or not?  If so, stop and get some, and if not, don't.   *shrugs*
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2672 on: January 24, 2024, 07:58:13 AM »

Wherever the fuck you want to.

They aren't begging because they are homeless.  They are raising funds for their organization, and they will raise them whether you contribute or not.  So the only thing that matters is, do you want the cookies or not?  If so, stop and get some, and if not, don't.   *shrugs*

No, you're right.  I just feel bad.  I'm a feeler. 

Wait... uh... let me rephrase that.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2673 on: January 24, 2024, 08:08:59 AM »
I think the conflict comes in that you not only want to help, but you feel kind of obligation...like you were out there fundraising with your own kids yourself, so you know what the parents are going through.

It kind of sucks because a lot of stores are making "canning" even harder, as are a lot of workplaces.

Personally, I hated when the school or some organization put my kids in a position where they had to fundraise and made it a competition among them.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2674 on: January 24, 2024, 09:01:14 AM »
If you can't understand why people crumble when little girls look you in the eye and ask for help, then there might not be a heart in your body.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #2675 on: January 24, 2024, 09:21:24 AM »
If you can't understand why people crumble when little girls look you in the eye and ask for help, then there might not be a heart in your body.
Look, I'm not a monster. Seriously, if one of them gave me the hard sell there's a very good chance I crumble, too. I've just never associated this with needing help. They've never really seemed to care all that much. Maybe it is crucial and I'm just ignorant, but I never got the impression that if the kids didn't sell enough cookies that the GSA would toss them out on their asses. In truth it always seems like the fundraising is just an excuse to goof off with their friends (which is great, that was me at their age).
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2676 on: January 24, 2024, 09:30:40 AM »
Look, I'm not a monster. Seriously, if one of them gave me the hard sell there's a very good chance I crumble, too. I've just never associated this with needing help. They've never really seemed to care all that much. Maybe it is crucial and I'm just ignorant, but I never got the impression that if the kids didn't sell enough cookies that the GSA would toss them out on their asses. In truth it always seems like the fundraising is just an excuse to goof off with their friends (which is great, that was me at their age).

I know you aren't, but it's not about how I feel if they need help, it's just the fact it's children asking and they obviously don't know any better so for them, it is asking for help. 

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #2677 on: January 24, 2024, 12:06:56 PM »
I'm not heartless, I just already raised two kids and I'm immune to that shit. 

Offline chknptpie

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #2678 on: January 24, 2024, 12:30:07 PM »
I think its been mentioned here before... but the reply all is driving me crazy today. I have 2 separate email strings right now with this.
1 - there is no need to send a mass email about your last day leaving the company. We don't care.. I've never even met you.
2 - there is no reason to respond back to ALL. WE DONT CARE that you enjoyed working with them.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2679 on: January 24, 2024, 12:33:27 PM »
I think its been mentioned here before... but the reply all is driving me crazy today. I have 2 separate email strings right now with this.
1 - there is no need to send a mass email about your last day leaving the company. We don't care.. I've never even met you.
2 - there is no reason to respond back to ALL. WE DONT CARE that you enjoyed working with them.

With you 100%.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #2680 on: January 24, 2024, 12:55:47 PM »
My version of that is people who send group messages with an iPhone, and every other iPhone defaults to "reply to all." Ignoring email is a whole lot easier than ignoring your phone. I don't need to be in the loop with every single person who may or may not attend a birthday or funeral. Seriously, how could anybody think setting that as a default was a good idea? Jobs was a fucking sadist.
E.F. Benson

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #2681 on: January 24, 2024, 12:56:38 PM »
I really hate "Reply All" motherfuckers.

That should only be used in specific select circumstances.

Offline Awaken

« Reply #2682 on: January 24, 2024, 12:57:55 PM »

With you 100%.

Adding to this:
3 - random people responding to all pleading with everyone on distribution to PLEASE STOP REPLYING TO ALL EVERYONE

lol.  Every.  Single.  Time. 

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #2683 on: January 24, 2024, 12:59:25 PM »

With you 100%.

Adding to this:
3 - random people responding to all pleading with everyone on distribution to PLEASE STOP REPLYING TO ALL EVERYONE

PLEASE STOP

ALL

Offline chknptpie

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #2684 on: January 24, 2024, 01:07:22 PM »

With you 100%.

Adding to this:

THANKFULLY I haven't seen that one yet, but definitely a great add to the list lol

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #2685 on: January 25, 2024, 09:28:53 AM »
My sump pump.

Went into the kitchen to take my morning meds and was confused by a loud buzzing. Tried to figure out what was making the noise and realized it had to be the sump pump in the crawl space. Empty the closet, pull the access panel and go down there. Pump is stuck on. Due to how it was installed there is not much I can do to troubleshoot. It has a lid on it and to get full access to the hole you have to remove the drain pipe.

My Dad and I have talked about trying to proactively replace this but never got around to it. Called him to let him know what was going on and he had wisdom beyond my years. Get a long extension cord. I have a very long industrial strength cord on it's own reel. Ran it down there and had my wife test plugging it in in the kitchen. Works perfectly. My back is saved. Waiting on a call from the plumber now. At least I can get emptying it on my own.

EDIT: and after the third manual emptying via the extension cord it has started working correctly again. Still going to have the plumber take a look. I'm sure I need to get it replaced.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2024, 10:52:46 AM by ProfessorPeart »
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2686 on: January 25, 2024, 01:51:39 PM »
Well, the company I work for laid off my chain of higher command.  My boss's boss, and my boss's boss's boss both got let go this morning.  Two guys I've worked under for 10 years.  Really sucks.  Not surprising considering our new work overlords have been cutting down the company since being acquired, but the first time it has really impacted me.  A cost cutting exercise to cut management and re-org. Sucks and I'm sure my time is counting down as well.  No immediate fear, my boss says 3 years he thinks he can guarantee for sure, but after that, who knows.  Definitely killed my motivation right now though.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #2687 on: January 25, 2024, 02:08:35 PM »
Well, the company I work for laid off my chain of higher command.  My boss's boss, and my boss's boss's boss both got let go this morning.  Two guys I've worked under for 10 years.  Really sucks.  Not surprising considering our new work overlords have been cutting down the company since being acquired, but the first time it has really impacted me.  A cost cutting exercise to cut management and re-org. Sucks and I'm sure my time is counting down as well.  No immediate fear, my boss says 3 years he thinks he can guarantee for sure, but after that, who knows.  Definitely killed my motivation right now though.
I suspect you'll want to move on before they actually force the issue. What you'll probably find is that the people who took over probably don't know what they're doing, and they're going to make lots of decisions that don't make sense to you. Particularly when it comes to cutting costs. Things that sound cheaper on paper often aren't, and it's the guys with experience that understand these things. Yet the new people will refuse to hear of such things because they're certain their way is right. It can be pretty frustrating.

Haven't had to deal with this personally, but I've seen it happen with plenty of vendors (who almost always become ex-vendors because of that very phenomenon).
E.F. Benson

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2688 on: January 25, 2024, 02:19:05 PM »
I suspect you'll want to move on before they actually force the issue. What you'll probably find is that the people who took over probably don't know what they're doing, and they're going to make lots of decisions that don't make sense to you. Particularly when it comes to cutting costs. Things that sound cheaper on paper often aren't, and it's the guys with experience that understand these things. Yet the new people will refuse to hear of such things because they're certain their way is right. It can be pretty frustrating.

Haven't had to deal with this personally, but I've seen it happen with plenty of vendors (who almost always become ex-vendors because of that very phenomenon).

Yeah, I get what you are saying.  My boss also said it could be in our best interest to start looking.  I've been saying for awhile now that I should be looking and haven't been, I'm lazy af.  But this is a clear sign to get my head out of my ass.  What's crazy, this company has record profits and is still squeezing every penny.  It honestly makes me not even work here. I've been feeling that for a bit since the buyout, but it's a prestigious company.  A company that people typically want to work for, and yet, everything I've ever read abot this company seems to be completely opposite to my experience.  I'm still earning very valuable shares so there's a motive to stay.  Also, there's a large part of me that would be totally cool getting laid off.  I'd probably get 10 months severance package to fuck off and find a new job.  I actually think that may be nice as it'll force my lazy ass and give me the time to work on finding a new job.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2689 on: January 25, 2024, 04:23:23 PM »

From someone that has gone through pretty much this exact situation over the last 2 years, Barto is 100% correct Marc.  It obviously depends how invested you are yourself in the company and your work, but when this happened, change in management who had no fucking idea what they were doing and I just watched things dismantle infront of me while I had become powerless.

The last two years has been the worst two years of my life.  There's obviously other influences but Barto is right, nine times out of ten, these situations tend to go in directions that you will never understand.  Start looking and get on the front foot.  Definitely DON'T let it get to the point where they have to finally make the decision for you.  It's hard as fuck, trust me, but start thinking one step ahead.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2690 on: January 25, 2024, 04:25:47 PM »

Yeah, I get what you are saying.  My boss also said it could be in our best interest to start looking.  I've been saying for awhile now that I should be looking and haven't been, I'm lazy af.  But this is a clear sign to get my head out of my ass.  What's crazy, this company has record profits and is still squeezing every penny.  It honestly makes me not even work here. I've been feeling that for a bit since the buyout, but it's a prestigious company.  A company that people typically want to work for, and yet, everything I've ever read abot this company seems to be completely opposite to my experience.  I'm still earning very valuable shares so there's a motive to stay.  Also, there's a large part of me that would be totally cool getting laid off.  I'd probably get 10 months severance package to fuck off and find a new job.  I actually think that may be nice as it'll force my lazy ass and give me the time to work on finding a new job.

If you can deal with things changing and work with it in the interim and you think a severance package would be better for you, than certainly hang in there and asses the situation as you go along, just be prepared to jump before they push you.  Also, keep your nose completely clean.  You seem like that type anyway but you don't want them to FIND ways to fuck you off earlier or have anything on you that could taint your reputation going into another role.  Yes, this shit happens, trust me.

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #2691 on: January 25, 2024, 06:59:53 PM »
I know the profession I chose to get a degree in. I like it most days. Not much regrets.

But teaching teenagers is sometimes a very big drain, and today was such a day. Didn't help to have a meeting before school, lunch duty, and I helped a colleague get her class covered during my planning period. But the kids are definitely pushing every envelope when I just want to help them get through the stuff they need before they test big in May.

It'll get better but fuck, take a chill pill, kids.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2692 on: January 25, 2024, 07:04:18 PM »
I know the profession I chose to get a degree in. I like it most days. Not much regrets.

But teaching teenagers is sometimes a very big drain, and today was such a day. Didn't help to have a meeting before school, lunch duty, and I helped a colleague get her class covered during my planning period. But the kids are definitely pushing every envelope when I just want to help them get through the stuff they need before they test big in May.

It'll get better but fuck, take a chill pill, kids.

I feel bad for teachers.  Parents blame them. kids blame them. And the administration will not back them.

There's been nothing in the last 35 years to make your job easier. EVERYTHING makes it more difficult.

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #2693 on: January 25, 2024, 07:06:42 PM »
Amen. I love my principal, but he recently said he is not changing anything about he does discipline. Which felt like a bit of a punch to the gut because the behaviors at my school are only worsening. Luckily I am a big guy and sometimes that is enough to scare the kids (their words, not mine).

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2694 on: January 25, 2024, 07:08:17 PM »
Amen. I love my principal, but he recently said he is not changing anything about he does discipline. Which felt like a bit of a punch to the gut because the behaviors at my school are only worsening. Luckily I am a big guy and sometimes that is enough to scare the kids (their words, not mine).

All you need to do is scare the wrong kid with the wrong parent, and just watch how your principal disciplines...