Author Topic: What pissed you off today?  (Read 123033 times)

Offline Harmony

Re: What pissed you off today?
« Reply #1820 on: May 05, 2023, 09:04:11 AM »
The fucking healthcare system in this country can pound sand.

I had my annual exam yesterday.  New nurse practitioner.  I liked her, she came with good recommendations.  I told her up front that I'm not a fan of medication/pharmaceuticals and that I'd recently lost 30 pounds and plan to lose another 20 more in the next year.  All fine, she said nothing about my weight.

Labs came back.  My fasting glucose was a tiny bit high but my A1C is normal (yay).  I'm definitely Vit D deficient so I'm totally on board with bumping this up through supplementation.  No problem and I wasn't surprised.

Side bar - You should all get your Vit D checked.  Seriously.  Nobody is getting enough Vit D from the sun.

So the bad news was that my LDL cholesterol was high.  Total cholesterol was slightly high.  Triglycerides normal.  HDL normal.  Her recommendation?  Medication, lose weight, eat less saturated fat.  I'm doing these last 2 things and I'm making great progress.  Why are you wanting me to take more time off from work to come in a consult on medication?  I'm not going on a statin.  Statins can cause weight gain and fuck with your blood glucose.  No way.  How about I just continue on with my progress and I come back in and we recheck my blood at the end of summer?

Because coming in to talk about medication that I'm not willing to take is going to mean they can bill my insurance again.  She won't even discuss this over email or phone because this is clinic policy.  I have to come in for an appointment.  And not just one appointment, they want me to come in on the Vit D thing too.  Separately.

I'm not doing that.  I guess I should be happy she didn't tell me to eat 1200 calories a day and cut out carbs.   ::)

Just another member of Gaia's intramural baseball squad

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #1821 on: May 05, 2023, 09:44:18 AM »
The fucking healthcare system in this country can pound sand.

I had my annual exam yesterday.  New nurse practitioner.  I liked her, she came with good recommendations.  I told her up front that I'm not a fan of medication/pharmaceuticals and that I'd recently lost 30 pounds and plan to lose another 20 more in the next year. All fine, she said nothing about my weight.

Labs came back.  My fasting glucose was a tiny bit high but my A1C is normal (yay).  I'm definitely Vit D deficient so I'm totally on board with bumping this up through supplementation.  No problem and I wasn't surprised.

Side bar - You should all get your Vit D checked.  Seriously.  Nobody is getting enough Vit D from the sun.

So the bad news was that my LDL cholesterol was high.  Total cholesterol was slightly high.  Triglycerides normal.  HDL normal.  Her recommendation?  Medication, lose weight, eat less saturated fat.  I'm doing these last 2 things and I'm making great progress.  Why are you wanting me to take more time off from work to come in a consult on medication?  I'm not going on a statin.  Statins can cause weight gain and fuck with your blood glucose.  No way.  How about I just continue on with my progress and I come back in and we recheck my blood at the end of summer?

Because coming in to talk about medication that I'm not willing to take is going to mean they can bill my insurance again.  She won't even discuss this over email or phone because this is clinic policy.  I have to come in for an appointment.  And not just one appointment, they want me to come in on the Vit D thing too.  Separately.

I'm not doing that.  I guess I should be happy she didn't tell me to eat 1200 calories a day and cut out carbs.   ::)

Assuming that's voluntary and not a result of something bad, congratulations.  Good work!  :)
« Last Edit: May 05, 2023, 10:48:19 AM by Stadler »

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #1822 on: May 05, 2023, 09:52:32 AM »
I've switched one doctor and marginalized another because they want me coming in too often. I don't mind simply saying no, but they'd stop refilling my prescriptions if I didn't come in often enough. In one case that included not refilling my immunosuppressants, and I need those to live. Pushing specific meds, including statins also pisses me off. At least try and look like you're not getting kickbacks on the damn stuff.

I share your disinterest in statins. At the same time I'm not at all convinced that diet and lifestyle actually matter insofar as your cholesterol numbers go. I'll be curious to hear if your numbers actually get any better. Lifestyle changed did dick for mine.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #1823 on: May 05, 2023, 10:00:24 AM »
I am quite anti-medication for me personally. No tylenol even. Nothing.

Some time early last year I went to a new pcp and they did their regular tests and said my cholesterol was pretty high but to check back in a few months. Due to various work/insurance reasons, I did not do that. So then some time last year I made contact with a distant cousin on my dad's side through 23&Me. I have no real info on my dad other than what my mom remembers. They broke up before I was born. So I don't know much about his health. When I talked to her (cousin), she said my dad and his brothers have MAJOR heart problems. So I made a cardiologist appointment to stay ahead of things. Told me to get on statins. I said no. I don't do meds. He also looked at my blood work from last year and said it was alarming. Said diet/exercise would not yield much for me. I stuck to my guns and he did the blood panels again.

Now, I am not a super healthy person, but I'm far from very unhealthy. Life long vegetarian. Don't smoke. Don't drink. No drugs. I don't love cheese, I don't do much in the way of deep fried foods, etc. And over the course of the year between my two blood panels, I got married. So I spent it trying to lose weight, exercise more, eat better etc.

The result? My cholesterol numbers were dangerously high. They had skyrocketed even from last years. So after a lot of personal introspection and such, I decided to go on the statins. All of the evidence seemed to suggest that my issues were genetic and no amount of diet/exercise would have done enough to get me to healthy numbers, and as a newly married man, I'd kind of like to live a bit longer.

Hardest decision I've made and I hate those pills every time I take one. Which is every day. For the rest of my life.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #1824 on: May 05, 2023, 10:07:19 AM »
I had high blood pressure and my heart wasn't pumping correctly.  I've had to take medication.  Also, I've had blood clots multiple times so I have to be on blood thinners the rest of my life.  They've been able to lower the amount I take with the weight loss so far.  I was 437 last February.  I'm down to 319 as of this morning. Goal is to get to 220.  I feel so much better.  Changed all of my eating habits.  Had to.  I do miss cake and ice cream but I'm so full with little to eat with having the gastric bypass surgery that it doesn't matter anymore. 
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #1825 on: May 05, 2023, 10:19:56 AM »
I have a genetic issue that also makes getting my cholesterol and triglycerides under control without meds pretty much a no-go. Your triglycerides are supposed to be under 150, I think. 20 years ago when I was having some major health issues it was discovered that my triglycerides were over 1600. My doctor was surprised I was even standing in front of him. My cholesterol was also high but not anywhere as worrying as the triglycerides. I started see a dietician and drastically changed my diet and even at my best, I could not get them even under 500. Turns out Dad had the same issue. I've been on fenofibric acid and a statin ever since then.

Even now, I don't eat all that terribly or in excess and I am fatter than I should ever be. I was skinny up until my early 20's and then just packed on the pounds and I eat better now that I ever have in my life. Sucks really.
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #1826 on: May 05, 2023, 11:14:32 AM »
Nothing so far, but later on I have to drive...so yeah.  Being pissed off behind the wheel can be counted on for sure because dudes on ludes should not drive.  :lol
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline chknptpie

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1827 on: May 05, 2023, 12:31:36 PM »
I had irrational anger today at rice... fucking rice. It just kept flying everywhere which I tried to reheat and eat it. I think I need a nap.

Offline Harmony

« Reply #1828 on: May 05, 2023, 01:09:47 PM »
Assuming that's voluntary and not a result of something bad, congratulations.  Good work!  :)

Thanks - and it is definitely voluntary.  I feel like I've finally cracked the code.  I wish I had figured it out sooner, but no sense dwelling on the past.  Diet culture really did a number on me for most of my life.  It feels great to give all that bullshit up and just work on mastering the basics.  And seeing results.

I've switched one doctor and marginalized another because they want me coming in too often. I don't mind simply saying no, but they'd stop refilling my prescriptions if I didn't come in often enough. In one case that included not refilling my immunosuppressants, and I need those to live. Pushing specific meds, including statins also pisses me off. At least try and look like you're not getting kickbacks on the damn stuff.

I share your disinterest in statins. At the same time I'm not at all convinced that diet and lifestyle actually matter insofar as your cholesterol numbers go. I'll be curious to hear if your numbers actually get any better. Lifestyle changed did dick for mine.

Thanks for the input.  It does sort of feel like a scam (doctor's pushing certain drugs) though I'm certain statins save lives.  And it may be that I will have to give them a whirl.  I just think I should at the very least be given 6 months to try and see if I can make a difference without drugs.  I really resent that pharmaceuticals are the default, especially when you have a patient making positive changes.  Of course, being a new patient she probably doesn't see that.  But I did tell her and I would've hoped she had listened to me.

Some time early last year I went to a new pcp and they did their regular tests and said my cholesterol was pretty high but to check back in a few months. Due to various work/insurance reasons, I did not do that. So then some time last year I made contact with a distant cousin on my dad's side through 23&Me. I have no real info on my dad other than what my mom remembers. They broke up before I was born. So I don't know much about his health. When I talked to her (cousin), she said my dad and his brothers have MAJOR heart problems. So I made a cardiologist appointment to stay ahead of things. Told me to get on statins. I said no. I don't do meds. He also looked at my blood work from last year and said it was alarming. Said diet/exercise would not yield much for me. I stuck to my guns and he did the blood panels again.

Now, I am not a super healthy person, but I'm far from very unhealthy. Life long vegetarian. Don't smoke. Don't drink. No drugs. I don't love cheese, I don't do much in the way of deep fried foods, etc. And over the course of the year between my two blood panels, I got married. So I spent it trying to lose weight, exercise more, eat better etc.

The result? My cholesterol numbers were dangerously high. They had skyrocketed even from last years. So after a lot of personal introspection and such, I decided to go on the statins. All of the evidence seemed to suggest that my issues were genetic and no amount of diet/exercise would have done enough to get me to healthy numbers, and as a newly married man, I'd kind of like to live a bit longer.

Hardest decision I've made and I hate those pills every time I take one. Which is every day. For the rest of my life.

Thanks for writing this out.  I do understand genetics can come into play and we can do fuck-all about that.

These are personal questions so don't feel obligated to answer them but....how are you feeling on the statins?  Any side effects?  Are you seeing results?  How often are you having to follow up with your PCP?

Were all of your cholesterol numbers high?  I mean I'm looking at very normal HDL and triglyceride numbers in my results.  That has to count for something.  If I was looking at elevations across the board, I'm sure I'd feel differently.  I wouldn't be happy - but I'd see it more as red-flag territory for sure.

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #1829 on: May 05, 2023, 01:29:57 PM »

These are personal questions so don't feel obligated to answer them but....how are you feeling on the statins?  Any side effects?  Are you seeing results?  How often are you having to follow up with your PCP?

Were all of your cholesterol numbers high?  I mean I'm looking at very normal HDL and triglyceride numbers in my results.  That has to count for something.  If I was looking at elevations across the board, I'm sure I'd feel differently.  I wouldn't be happy - but I'd see it more as red-flag territory for sure.

So, this is all new, so I don't have a ton of answers.

I hate the statins on a philosophical basis. I, and no shame in admitting this, cried like a baby when I took my first pill. That's just a me thing since it's medication. I've since just adapted but hate them. Side effects were muscle cramping for a few days but have subsided and no other side effects I can notice.

No results yet. I'm almost 3 months on them and have my first follow up in a week and a half. Hoping it'll be good.

My overall cholesterol was dangerously high, so were my LDL levels.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1830 on: May 05, 2023, 01:32:55 PM »
I had irrational anger today at rice... fucking rice. It just kept flying everywhere which I tried to reheat and eat it. I think I need a nap.

My wife has the same anger toward rice except its about cooking it.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #1831 on: May 05, 2023, 03:03:24 PM »

Thanks - and it is definitely voluntary.  I feel like I've finally cracked the code.  I wish I had figured it out sooner, but no sense dwelling on the past.  Diet culture really did a number on me for most of my life.  It feels great to give all that bullshit up and just work on mastering the basics.  And seeing results.
I lost 28 pounds during the plague, which was a good time to go about it. When someone asked (and my doctor of 12 or so years did not) I'd tell them I'd discovered an old diet that people had forgotten about. It's called the Don't Eat so Fucking Much diet. I honestly didn't find it all that hard. It took very few lifestyle changes, and was mostly just a matter of paying attention.

That said, I have gained half of it back since life resumed to normal, so I might not know WTF I'm talking about.

Thanks for the input.  It does sort of feel like a scam (doctor's pushing certain drugs) though I'm certain statins save lives.  And it may be that I will have to give them a whirl.  I just think I should at the very least be given 6 months to try and see if I can make a difference without drugs.  I really resent that pharmaceuticals are the default, especially when you have a patient making positive changes.  Of course, being a new patient she probably doesn't see that.  But I did tell her and I would've hoped she had listened to me.

Everybody lies, or so I've heard. Doctors that actually listen to patients are increasingly uncommon, IMO. I do have a couple, though. From my experience it tends to be the PAs that actually pay attention to you and try to help you. I'm sure statins do help a lot of people. I just don't feel the need for them, myself. My numbers are borderline (like exactly, always within +/- 2 of the line), and the likelihood is that the kidney will bump me off before the cholesterol will. I don't honestly know anybody that's been able to bring theirs down naturally (I really wonder if it's a myth that people can). In Adami's case I'd take them and not think twice about it, though (even though I definitely get his stance on taking meds--I'm a tough it out kind of guy, myself).

For me it was BP medication, which was super-critical in my case, and like the statins I know they really do save lives. My previous doctor was amendment about what he prescribed though, despite several objections on my part. I'm on generics now and doing just fine. I don't see any need that I had to be on the expensive brand name stuff he'd prescribe. Not to mention that one of them was making me fucking insane.

And to be fair, I don't think he (or any other doctors, necessarily) was on the take. I used kickbacks facetiously. I do think smokin hot pharmaceutical reps, golf junkets, and catered lunches everyday do have a way of convincing them that new and shiny is necessarily the way to go, though.

I hate the statins on a philosophical basis. I, and no shame in admitting this, cried like a baby when I took my first pill. That's just a me thing since it's medication. I've since just adapted but hate them. Side effects were muscle cramping for a few days but have subsided and no other side effects I can notice.

No results yet. I'm almost 3 months on them and have my first follow up in a week and a half. Hoping it'll be good.

My overall cholesterol was dangerously high, so were my LDL levels.
It very likely will be. The things really do work. I took them for a couple of years (quit after the transplant) and they did bring my numbers down. They went right back up to my normal baseline afterward.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1832 on: May 06, 2023, 07:30:03 AM »

I listened to a fantastic podcast about cholesterol as mine was creeping up and the sciences seems to point to genetics being the biggest contributing factor of cholesterol.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1833 on: May 06, 2023, 07:36:32 AM »
At some point, your body may need help. It's ok. It's what it's there for. If my pancreas worked, I wouldn't need insulin.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline PetFish

« Reply #1834 on: May 06, 2023, 06:16:42 PM »
Whenever you need medication that's over-the-counter, always look for the generics cuz they cost waaaaaaaaaay less.

diphenhydramine = Benadryl = Nytol/ZZquil
... one generic = two brand names that are for "different" things

dimenhydrinate = Gravol
... ask for a bottle from behind the counter and you'll get 10x more for the same price as Gravol from the shelf)

I'm a hospital pharmacy tech and you guys would go postal if you knew how much we pay for generic drugs vs what brand names cost at retail... even the brand names we carry are crazy.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1835 on: May 06, 2023, 06:51:03 PM »
At some point, your body may need help. It's ok. It's what it's there for. If my pancreas worked, I wouldn't need insulin.

This is something I know I'll struggle with later in life. I don't take any painkillers of any kind.  Don't keep up with flu shots or any vaccines, even things like decongestants and things of the kind I just don't take.  It's like I have an ego thing against any form of medication.  So I know when the day comes where it's necessary, it may be a struggle, but hopefully I'll know at that point I'm taking it for a damn good reason and because it's completely necessary.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #1836 on: May 07, 2023, 07:14:28 AM »
I had high blood pressure and my heart wasn't pumping correctly.  I've had to take medication.  Also, I've had blood clots multiple times so I have to be on blood thinners the rest of my life.  They've been able to lower the amount I take with the weight loss so far.  I was 437 last February.  I'm down to 319 as of this morning. Goal is to get to 220.  I feel so much better.  Changed all of my eating habits.  Had to.  I do miss cake and ice cream but I'm so full with little to eat with having the gastric bypass surgery that it doesn't matter anymore.

This belongs in the what made you happy thread.  Awesome dude.  I can't wait to tell you "you're half the man you used to be"... in a literal and complimentary way!
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1837 on: May 07, 2023, 07:21:41 AM »

This belongs in the what made you happy thread.  Awesome dude.  I can't wait to tell you "you're half the man you used to be"... in a literal and complimentary way!

I didn't see this post. Amazing Joe!
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1838 on: May 07, 2023, 07:42:27 AM »
Thanks guys!  More to go!

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1839 on: May 07, 2023, 05:44:16 PM »
Yes, incredible accomplishment Joe, keep it up.  :tup
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1840 on: May 07, 2023, 06:09:14 PM »
Nice work. Joe!

:tup :tup

Offline Harmony

« Reply #1841 on: May 09, 2023, 01:47:33 PM »

If you feel comfortable doing so, I hope you'll post the results.

I lost 28 pounds during the plague, which was a good time to go about it. When someone asked (and my doctor of 12 or so years did not) I'd tell them I'd discovered an old diet that people had forgotten about. It's called the Don't Eat so Fucking Much diet. I honestly didn't find it all that hard. It took very few lifestyle changes, and was mostly just a matter of paying attention.

That said, I have gained half of it back since life resumed to normal, so I might not know WTF I'm talking about.

I think it is normal to slip back into old habits.  The *DESFM diet you speak of could also be somewhat of a set up.  For many people, restriction over time can lead to binging behavior.  That was something I was doing.  1500 calories Monday through Friday.  By the time Friday night rolled around I entered the 'fuck it' zone which lasted 2.5 days.  I'm eating more calories now that I ever have on any 'diet' and this has led to much less binging out of hunger and desperation for delicious food.  I was at about 2100 calories until my vacation.  Now I'm in a mini cut down to 1900.  (I'm sort of joking - that's not really a cut.)  Of course paying attention to protein with every meal and fruits/veggies really helps too.  But really what I've learned is consistency is key but NOT perfection.  I'm consistent probably 85% - gotta leave room for eating out and special events.

I do think smokin hot pharmaceutical reps, golf junkets, and catered lunches everyday do have a way of convincing them that new and shiny is necessarily the way to go, though.

Agreed.  And this shit happens on the regular.  It is not unlike special interest groups donating to politicians.  I'm all for healthcare providers being given information and research studies around pharmaceuticals and devices and treatments - but there should never be any gifting involved there, IMO.

I listened to a fantastic podcast about cholesterol as mine was creeping up and the sciences seems to point to genetics being the biggest contributing factor of cholesterol.

If you can recall the podcast, I'd be interested in it.

I've actually been doing some digging on how cholesterol breakdowns are calculated by the lab.  I've been wondering how my LDL can be high and yet my triglycerides and HDL can be so great.  I stumbled on some info that for people who have low triglycerides could wind up with LDL values that are over-stated if the lab uses the Friedewald equation.  Apparently there is a way to order a specific test for LDL that is more accurate in that regard.  I just have a feeling that if I ask my NP what method the lab uses to calculate the numbers, she'd have zero clue.   :P

Sorry, I meant to comment on this amazing progress before.  I know it has not been an easy road but your progress is phenomenal and you should be very proud of yourself.  WTG!!

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1842 on: May 09, 2023, 05:44:41 PM »
Thank you. Still at it. I want to hit my goal by next February. 

Offline lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #1843 on: May 10, 2023, 08:49:58 AM »
Anxiety is kicking my ass and pissing me off right now. Things have been really, really great in my marriage for the last few months. Partly due to hard work and party due to life just being great right now. So of course my anxiety is making me think I'm going to screw it up somehow and I'm over analyzing everything. Ugh... so annoying.

Offline Harmony

« Reply #1844 on: May 10, 2023, 08:56:04 AM »
Anxiety is a bitch I know well.  I'm sorry you are going through that.

I know for me, focusing on exercise and adequate sleep are hugely helpful.  Also - I recently found out that I am extremely Vit D deficient (most people in the USA are, even if you get sun) and that this can exacerbate anxiety.  Might want to get your level checked if you haven't already. 

Hang in there. 

Offline lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #1845 on: May 10, 2023, 09:02:52 AM »
Anxiety is a bitch I know well.  I'm sorry you are going through that.

I know for me, focusing on exercise and adequate sleep are hugely helpful.  Also - I recently found out that I am extremely Vit D deficient (most people in the USA are, even if you get sun) and that this can exacerbate anxiety.  Might want to get your level checked if you haven't already. 

Hang in there. 
Sleep and exercise are big ones, yeah. I have a tendency to be unable to fall back asleep in the middle of the night if I'm going through a high anxiety period of time, so that just doubles down and makes things worse.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #1846 on: May 11, 2023, 07:31:25 AM »
I do think smokin hot pharmaceutical reps, golf junkets, and catered lunches everyday do have a way of convincing them that new and shiny is necessarily the way to go, though.

Agreed.  And this shit happens on the regular.  It is not unlike special interest groups donating to politicians.  I'm all for healthcare providers being given information and research studies around pharmaceuticals and devices and treatments - but there should never be any gifting involved there, IMO.

It's that - and I agree on the gifting - but there's another element:  when I was a kid, fancy glitzy musical commercials like "O-o-o-oZEMPIC!" didn't exist.  It's one of the more brilliant marketing moves of all time - along with bottling water and selling for a unit price higher than gasoline in some instances - to have pharmaceuticals marketed directly to the patient, creating an alternate market force against the doctor.  Especially smaller community doctors; who wants to feel left out?  Who wants their patients to think they are out of the loop?   What patient wants to think their doctor isn't at the cutting edge, or that their care isn't the latest and greatest? 

Our healthcare is expensive, but it's a myth that any one entity is necessarily making "obscene profits" (I hate that phrase almost as much as I hate a rusty catheter); more is lost in the transactional aspect of our healthcare.   So doctors - again, especially smaller community doctors - aren't swimming in cash, they can't always afford to tell patients "if you think you can get better care elsewhere, it's a free country".   It's easier to prescribe the medicine and be done with it.

Sorry, I meant to comment on this amazing progress before.  I know it has not been an easy road but your progress is phenomenal and you should be very proud of yourself.  WTG!!

Seconded.   Almost didn't recognize you in that picture with Nick (and I'm not kidding)!!!

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #1847 on: May 11, 2023, 07:34:32 AM »
Woke up with a head full of snot and what is apparently a pulled muscle in my back.  I was fine when I went to bed last night.

#OldManProblems
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Online gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #1848 on: May 11, 2023, 07:42:36 AM »
Woke up with a head full of snot and what is apparently a pulled muscle in my back.  I was fine when I went to bed last night.

#OldManProblems

The adventures of aging..... :lol    Love the periodic wake up to a random pulled muscle days. Those are the best.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #1849 on: May 11, 2023, 07:43:45 AM »

#OldManProblems

The adventures of aging..... :lol    Love the periodic wake up to a random pulled muscle days. Those are the best.
It's pissing me off more than the congestion.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Online gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #1850 on: May 11, 2023, 07:47:04 AM »

#OldManProblems

It's pissing me off more than the congestion.

At least the congestion you'd be able to use some over the counter medication if you chose to. Pulled muscles freaking suck...especially random ones where you have no idea how it  happened or why?
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1851 on: May 11, 2023, 08:04:48 AM »
I went to bed last night worrying about a new boot I have to wear with my achilles issue on my left foot and forgot to wear my C-Pap mask last night. Woke up at 12:30 am and figured that out.

Damn old age.

Offline Harmony

« Reply #1852 on: May 11, 2023, 08:09:53 AM »
Please be careful with the boot and make sure you have time out of the boot to move your leg and foot.

My sister died of a pulmonary embolism not long after having foot surgery and had been keeping her foot in a boot.  That makes one ripe for a DVT.  We don't know for certain it was the boot (she had also had sinus surgery) but there is plenty of research that shows immobility increases risk of DVT.  Even something as mild as being on a plane for relatively short time can increase risk. 

Achilles issue suck ass though.  Hope it feels better soon.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1853 on: May 11, 2023, 08:26:10 AM »
I've had blood clots in my lungs so I'm on blood thinners the rest imof my life. (Eliquis)

I'm only wearing it to bed. Not durring the times I'm awake.

Offline Glasser

« Reply #1854 on: May 11, 2023, 01:08:57 PM »
This thread is giving me health anxiety. I won't even sit through a baseball game without taking a stroll around the house with this clot talk.  :facepalm: