Author Topic: What pissed you off today?  (Read 125271 times)

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
Re: What pissed you off today?
« Reply #700 on: July 05, 2020, 06:59:49 AM »
Chad, is Chad your given name or is it Charles? I know people named Charles will go by Chad sometimes.

I'm 100% Chad
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #701 on: July 05, 2020, 07:02:10 AM »
Obviously! :lol
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #702 on: July 05, 2020, 07:05:51 AM »
Chad, is Chad your given name or is it Charles? I know people named Charles will go by Chad sometimes.

I'm 100% Chad

Such a man's man.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #703 on: July 05, 2020, 07:51:50 PM »
Not necessarily today...

but the fact that my I called the manager a week ago from the insurance agency that laid me off in March, to ask about my job, since he said once things get back to normal ish, I'd have a job.  He didn't answer my call, I left a long voice mail basically saying "Hey lemme know if I have a job still", and he hasn't called me back. Just tell me to go fuck off already damnit. 
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline Northern Lion

• Defender of Liberty
« Reply #704 on: July 05, 2020, 08:12:48 PM »
Not necessarily today...

but the fact that my I called the manager a week ago from the insurance agency that laid me off in March, to ask about my job, since he said once things get back to normal ish, I'd have a job.  He didn't answer my call, I left a long voice mail basically saying "Hey lemme know if I have a job still", and he hasn't called me back. Just tell me to go fuck off already damnit.

That really really sucks man, I'm sorry.  It looks like you got your answer though.  Just in the wussiest way possible.
"You call it facial hair, I call it awesomeness escaping through my face"

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #705 on: July 05, 2020, 08:14:19 PM »
Not necessarily today...

That really really sucks man, I'm sorry.  It looks like you got your answer though.  Just in the wussiest way possible.

I'll probably try to contact him again this week. Maybe just an email, while I start looking.  I totally understand all of the reasons to NOT bring  me back, but at least tell me.
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #706 on: July 06, 2020, 07:46:15 AM »
Fucking TV shows that I start to get in to when they first drop, but then the goddamn network doesn't renew them.  At least a 1/2 dozen shows over the past few years I've gotten invested in, only to be left at the alter - and usually on a medium-to-large sized cliffhanger.  :getoffmylawn:

Just makes me only want to invest my time with existing shows that already have multiple seasons - or revisit shows I already watched years ago that were absolutely fantastic (eg, Fringe).

DUDE!   It's at the point that it's a running joke between my wife and I.  She'll actually tell me: "Honey, don't watch this; I don't want it to be cancelled".   Drives me CRAZY.   

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #707 on: July 28, 2020, 06:13:15 PM »
I have no idea where to put this. This seems like the best place.

Warning: Graphic language, hateful text, and potentially political ramblings.

So this happened in my neighborhood. On a good day I could throw a baseball and with a solid roll it would land in their driveway.

https://www.heraldnet.com/news/officers-find-19-million-worth-of-fentanyl-in-lynnwood-home/

Investigators also reportedly found around 808 grams of heroin, 12 grams of methamphetamine, $14,000 in cash, and equipment that suggested the couple had planned to package and sell the drugs. The man and woman were arrested by the Snohomish Regional Drug Task Force.

“The amount of fentanyl powder that (the couple) possessed at their residence has the capability to cause the death of about 700,000 citizens,” he wrote.

“(He) was in possession of about 1,900 grams of fentanyl powder in order to produce counterfeit pills,” the officer wrote. “The amount of fentanyl powder present at arrest could produce about 1.9 million counterfeit pills with a street value of at least $19 million.”

Jesus Fucking Christ. I was outside playing with my kids and their neighbor friends when the cops tossed their house. It was a lovely Saturday afternoon. Little did we know what filth lived a few houses down (they were renters; and according to the owner and other sources I've read, she was not involved in this in any manner).

I cannot put my thoughts in to words right now. $19M in dope that could kill upwards of 3/4 a million people? All in a middle-class neighborhood filled with families of all cultures, races, and backgrounds, with little kids, just trying to live their lives happily as best they can. I waffle on the death penalty, and realize I am close to this situation personally, but I'd love for these two to ride Old Sparky. And without the sponge being soaked. This scum deserves no place on this planet.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #708 on: July 28, 2020, 06:19:52 PM »
Wow Chris, that's incredible.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #709 on: July 28, 2020, 06:26:33 PM »
Wow, that's crazy and just shows how little we all know about people so close to us.  But that fentanyl is very dangerous from my understanding.  That guy should be charged with attempted murder.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #710 on: July 28, 2020, 06:38:44 PM »
The 38-year-old man was arrested for investigation of three different counts of drug manufacturing with intent to deliver, along with three counts of unlawful possession of a firearm. He has been convicted of previous felonies, including first-degree robbery and possession of a controlled substance with intent to deliver, court papers show.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #711 on: July 30, 2020, 09:49:17 AM »
My HOA. Man, I hate HOA's.

I received a letter today from them citing me for a violation for not having my driveway sealcoated.

I had my driveway professionally sealcoated 2 weeks ago today. It still looks good as new.  >:(

We are a tiny community and the HOA management office is 15 minutes away. How can you not check again before sending something that you clearly flagged several weeks ago and only now got around to sending? Just stupid and a waste of HOA money.
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #712 on: July 30, 2020, 09:59:45 AM »
That's why I would never buy a home in a community.  Not that I would let our play look like hell but the thought of other neighbors being able to control my yard sounds aggravating.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #713 on: July 30, 2020, 10:20:26 AM »
I get the purpose of HOAs (trying to keep any one property from dragging down the value of everyone else's property due to poor upkeep and creating a unified feel of the neighborhood), but they can be a bit over the top much of the time. The only time I dealt with one was when we owned a townhome. Makes more sense in that situation since the homes were literally attached to each other. Doesn't make much sense in a neighborhood of single family homes.

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #714 on: July 30, 2020, 10:22:05 AM »
That's why I would never buy a home in a community.  Not that I would let our play look like hell but the thought of other neighbors being able to control my yard sounds aggravating.

This is my first house and I was naive to what an HOA was. Had I known then what I know now, I would never have moved here. HOA's are an abomination. A group of holier than thou neighbors who have the right to tell me what I can and cannot do with my property. It sows discontent and makes people dislike each other. I cannot begin to tell you the arguments that have erupted between people here over how to use HOA funds.

Not to mention that last fall my roof sprung a leak. My contractor had to jump through a ton of hoops and we had to submit paperwork to get approval on putting black asphalt shingles on our roof. Really? Took them over 3 weeks to grant approval. My contractor was so pissed he physically visited the HOA office to read them the riot act. They approved and then sent another letter asking for a bunch more insurance and paperwork from him. Just an unpleasant experience.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2020, 10:57:43 AM by ProfessorPeart »
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #715 on: July 30, 2020, 10:26:42 AM »
Curious... what legal jurisdiction does an HOA actually have.  If you had just gone and done what you wanted with the roof, what recourse does an HOA have against you?  Serious question, as I've never been part of an HOA.
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #716 on: July 30, 2020, 11:00:23 AM »
Curious... what legal jurisdiction does an HOA actually have.  If you had just gone and done what you wanted with the roof, what recourse does an HOA have against you?  Serious question, as I've never been part of an HOA.

They can fine me, take me to court over violating by-laws, place a lien on the house if I don't pay fines. It's like I am a tenet paying rent. It's awful.

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #717 on: July 30, 2020, 11:13:08 AM »
It's basically contract law.  You've signed the HOA agreement (most likely) when you bought the house.  I have two experiences with HOAs, and while I have nothing quite so egregious as the Prof., neither was a glorious experience.

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #718 on: July 30, 2020, 11:18:56 AM »
I was elected as one of three HOA trustees and it’s just brutal. I’m all for making sure people maintain their property but some of these bi laws are just silly. I ignore a ton of stuff I see and thankfully don’t have Facebook to see/read the comments from people on our subdivision page. It’s hilarious to me that adults can’t just talk to their neighbors if they have a problem.....they want us to do it.

The management company we have that runs our finances and sends out violation letters and what not is a joke as well.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #719 on: July 30, 2020, 11:51:18 AM »
It's basically contract law.  You've signed the HOA agreement (most likely) when you bought the house.  I have two experiences with HOAs, and while I have nothing quite so egregious as the Prof., neither was a glorious experience.

So, they don't have any true governmental powers like a municipal government has, but the HOA contract gives them the ability to take legal action?  And that then offers them the ability to fine you, and place a lien against your house!?!?!  That's fucked up.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #720 on: July 30, 2020, 12:06:57 PM »
Chad, I have friends that have bought house in these types of neighborhoods and to each one I've told them they are nuts.

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #721 on: July 30, 2020, 01:35:16 PM »

So, they don't have any true governmental powers like a municipal government has, but the HOA contract gives them the ability to take legal action?  And that then offers them the ability to fine you, and place a lien against your house!?!?!  That's fucked up.

Not to mention that we pay them for the 'right' to control what we do. It's as backwards as something can get. Have to pay my dues twice a year or face the consequences. I hate it. Should've educated myself. It's on me for the one time I don't obsessively investigate something.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #722 on: July 30, 2020, 02:23:42 PM »
Again, I'm genuinely curious.  What make a person buying in to a street/neighbourhood obligated to join the HOA?  I mean, is  the HOA agreement attached to the purchase agreement of the house/property?  Do they show up on the day you move in "hey neighbour, welcome.  Would you mind putting your John Henry on this document?  Press hard, there's three copies."?

If the former, I'd tell the home sellers to go pound sand.
If the latter, I'd treat the clown at my door the same as I would a Jehovah's Witness.  Thanks, I've got my own beliefs *close door*.

Wouldn't an HOA have a detrimental impact on property values via potential reduced demand?

I mean, I get it for condo and townhouse complexes, where common areas are funded and maintained, and for 'gated' communities where people actually want certain conditions of living to be upheld throughout the community.  But as a general proposition .... why the hell?

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #723 on: July 30, 2020, 02:53:10 PM »
You can't buy the house unless you agree to the terms Chad.  That's why I never looked into those new developments because most had them.  It's a plague here.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #724 on: July 30, 2020, 02:56:51 PM »
There's an area of our town just like that. My parents live on the corner of a block right outside of it. That entire area of town is SUPER nice but it's also pretty much only obtainable for wealthy people (lawyers, doctors and such live down there). But the HOA just sounds like a major pain in the ass, they get on you if your grass is just a little bit over their acceptable limit, which means people are out there cutting their grass sometimes twice a week. Stuff like that would drive me insane, I don't care how nice the house is, GTFO policing my yard  :lol But I guess some people don't mind it...
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #725 on: July 30, 2020, 06:41:10 PM »
I hate to play the role of HOA DEFENDER but I feel like they can be similar to an ump in a ballgame. If things go well, you aren't even aware of them; if things go poorly, you hate them with all your might.

I mean, I get it for condo and townhouse complexes, where common areas are funded and maintained, and for 'gated' communities where people actually want certain conditions of living to be upheld throughout the community.   

This is important. So for us, we our detached homes, but we share a private road and stormwater facilities. When that road needs maintenance or the stormwater drains need to be cleaned, there needs to be a mechanism for it to be paid for.

Again, I'm genuinely curious.  What make a person buying in to a street/neighbourhood obligated to join the HOA?  I mean, is  the HOA agreement attached to the purchase agreement of the house/property? 

Yes it is, you will acknowledge you have received a copy of the CC&Rs and agree to abide by them as part of your signing.

Wouldn't an HOA have a detrimental impact on property values via potential reduced demand?

Possibly, but also if there were requirements for everyone to maintain a certain standard of care for their property, that would have a positive effect on house values.

A couple recent examples here.... there was a new renter who was parking their van on their front lawn. The CC&Rs prohibit that, so I mentioned it to him, and he kindly apologized and doesn't do it anymore. People should be able to park wherever they want on their property, but the developer decided that it would be best for the community if people didn't do that. Using your comment about house values, seeing a bunch of vans parked on front lawns could have an adverse effect on a potential buyer.

Another... a homeowner in the back corner replaced their front lawn grass with field turf. This is not allowed, but their house is in the back corner, and it looks nicer than it ever did before, so we decided to let this one slide.

I feel bad reading all these horror stories. I think HOAs can be beneficial to all when handled appropriately.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #726 on: July 30, 2020, 07:33:03 PM »
Fair points Chris. I appreciate the perspectives. I think an HOA would be a literal show stopper, at least in my current stage of life. I see the pros, but having a private entity / neighborhood collective have complete oversight on what I can/cannot do with my own property and house?? Nuh uh.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #727 on: July 30, 2020, 07:42:29 PM »
Except I don't want a ref in my daily life. Lol

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #728 on: July 30, 2020, 07:52:03 PM »
But you're married..

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #729 on: July 30, 2020, 08:07:22 PM »
She's a bully, not a ref. :lol

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #730 on: July 30, 2020, 08:50:47 PM »
Fair points Chris. I appreciate the perspectives. I think an HOA would be a literal show stopper, at least in my current stage of life. I see the pros, but having a private entity / neighborhood collective have complete oversight on what I can/cannot do with my own property and house?? Nuh uh.

I think you are overestimating the level of "oversight." Of course it varies from one HOA to the next. Some people here go a little crazy with the fireworks on July 04, and a couple homeowners asked me if there was anything we could do about it. I told them that there was not, as there was nothing in any documents about lighting off fireworks. They could have brought up the line item about "quiet and reasonable enjoyment" (basically "don't be a dick and make a raucous racket in the wee hours in the morning") and maybe they would have had a point. But I wouldn't have enforced it (and not solely because I am one of those who enjoys the fireworks).

In the 3+ years I've been HOA president, I've had to address 1) the guy parking his van on his front lawn mentioned above 2) telling a couple families it was ok to have an AC unit installed in their home 3) clarify for a homeowner if there were any requirements or specifications if they wanted to build a fence on their property, and 4) tell someone he couldn't permanently have a pop-up canopy in his driveway. To the best of my knowledge, that has been the extent of the issues I've faced.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #731 on: July 31, 2020, 04:47:16 AM »
The drug-house notwithstanding. :P :lol  Hey, all of that sounds reasonably reasonable.  And for every good HOA there is, sounds like there are at least 1 or 3 nightmare ones.

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #732 on: July 31, 2020, 08:18:45 AM »
Again, I'm genuinely curious.  What make a person buying in to a street/neighbourhood obligated to join the HOA?  I mean, is  the HOA agreement attached to the purchase agreement of the house/property?  Do they show up on the day you move in "hey neighbour, welcome.  Would you mind putting your John Henry on this document?  Press hard, there's three copies."?

If the former, I'd tell the home sellers to go pound sand.
If the latter, I'd treat the clown at my door the same as I would a Jehovah's Witness.  Thanks, I've got my own beliefs *close door*.

I mean, I get it for condo and townhouse complexes, where common areas are funded and maintained, and for 'gated' communities where people actually want certain conditions of living to be upheld throughout the community.  But as a general proposition .... why the hell?

EDIT: Ninja'd, sort of, by Chris. 

The HOAs I've been part of were a contingency of the sale.   There was a choice, but the choice was "buy the house"/"don't buy the house".   And remember, we're talking about the evils now.  There are SOME good things.  If there is a community center, perhaps, or a pool, you get the benefit without any of the hassle.   In some cases, snow removal (for sidewalks and what not) is taken care of.   Lawn mowing and shrubbery for common areas or connective areas (meaning, the spaces between my property line and the next, occupied property line).   Uniformity; the neighbor across the street cannot erect a gaudy wall without approval, or excessively (in some cases, not at all) erect "Trump in 2020!" signs.   In one case, there was also insurance purchased by the HOA for things that were out of coverage to traditional homeowners as well.  In duplex/condo situations, that extends to building insurance and things like roof and septic/utility repair.   

I can't speak to up here, but in Georgia and North Carolina - where farms are more prevalent, and the odds of a Chevy 325 hemi engine showing up in someone's front yard are also higher - HOAs can (especially if tied to a community center/common area benefits) improve property values. 

(Sidebar: in Georgia, there was a running joke in the neighborhood; someone started putting 10 or 15 pink flamingos out in the middle of the night on a selected lawn.   It was patently against the HOA code, but it turned into a fun little gag.  On any given Saturday/Sunday, you could wake up to a gaggle of plastic flamingos on your lawn.  It happened to me once, and I put them in my garage, and a day or so later, "George" (I don't know why the quotes; that WAS his name) stopped by and said "if you need help getting rid of those flamingos, let me know.  I know just the place..."   About a week or so later, he and I and another dude were erecting them on another lawn.   I don't really know the point other than a) to fuck with the HOA reps, and b) build a little cameraderie.   It was a nice feeling, actually, to know that someone trusted us to be a part of the community and not go all "citizens arrest! citizens arrest!"). 

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #733 on: July 31, 2020, 08:28:34 AM »
As for fireworks, though... I love a good fireworks display as much as the next guy, but we're having a rash of that up here.   It's bad enough on the 4th, and the weekends surrounding the date, but at least I can expect it.  We seem to get fireworks any weekend night that is decent and no rain, and I've had enough.  I have three dogs and they are as stupid as they come.    One is a 20 lb dachshund, and if he hears a firework OR either of the other two dogs, he immediately starts barking and jumps down to run to the door.  So every firework explosion is joined by a "bark... <thump> (becuase he's a fat sausage)... bark bark bark!"   The other two are stupid, so they hear him react and figure something's up, so THEY start barking.  One is a little 4 lb chihuahua (or "chiwalla" as my step son calls her) and so her bark is an annoying yap that responds to the dachshund.   But then, the dachshund, not exactly being Inspector Clouseau, figures, uh, someone else must be up, and has to start another round of barking.  It can literally go on for half an hour FOR EACH FIREWORK EVENT.   

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #734 on: July 31, 2020, 08:56:00 AM »
Yeah, my choice is to never deal with an F'ing committee for my house.  No thank you.

Like that commercial with the lady cutting the mailbox down because it is 2 inches to high.  I would punch her and her husband out.