Author Topic: What pissed you off today?  (Read 124575 times)

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: What pissed you off today?
« Reply #420 on: January 28, 2020, 11:51:10 PM »
I feel like his success will/should allow you to step back a little. I know you've talked about how hard and how much you work. Maybe the guy's a Class A dick. Stay positive.

That is the plan, but it's hard letting go of stuff. 

However, I got another stupid agressive email asking a question and adding ideas on a topic he obviously knows nothing about.  I emailed him back saying, I'm coming to see you tomorrow and perhaps a weekly meeting is in order and I can share my knowledge and he can ask questions and as things come up we can work them out together.  Putting it back on him really.  Going to find out what his deal is and if he's a dick, set him straight and tell him how it is.  My boss is happy with this and even may come in on the meeting.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #421 on: January 29, 2020, 05:31:24 AM »
In setting him straight, I'd reinforce the fact that it's for the betterment of you both, not a 'power-trip' that *you* are on.  Think about it if you're in his shoes.... your hired into a new job and expected to handle certain responsibilities.  Then the fucker that's been around for 10+ years who knows how shit gets done and how it's always gotten done, keeps getting up in your shit.

I'm not suggesting this is what you are doing, or how things actually are unfolding - but it very well could be how he perceives things are unfolding.  Focus on the outcomes that you (both) want, and offer constructive guidance/counsel on how he can best participate to achieve those outcomes.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #422 on: January 29, 2020, 06:44:17 AM »
Have you actually met him yet?  Is it possible you are just reading into his written words a bit too much?  Face to face meetings definitely help for these things.  That's how you'll really get to know him and understand who he is.  I wonder if he got a different impression on the job and the reason why he says things like "his team" but if the guy is ultimately on a power trip and you ultimately want to relinquish some responsibilities, maybe it's best to help him accomplish both your goals.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #423 on: January 29, 2020, 12:43:34 PM »
In setting him straight, I'd reinforce the fact that it's for the betterment of you both, not a 'power-trip' that *you* are on.  Think about it if you're in his shoes.... your hired into a new job and expected to handle certain responsibilities.  Then the fucker that's been around for 10+ years who knows how shit gets done and how it's always gotten done, keeps getting up in your shit.

I'm not suggesting this is what you are doing, or how things actually are unfolding - but it very well could be how he perceives things are unfolding.  Focus on the outcomes that you (both) want, and offer constructive guidance/counsel on how he can best participate to achieve those outcomes.

I've thought that.  And being true to myself, there probably is an element of me being territorial.  I'm not on a power trip, I don't care if he takes over and takes some pressure off, however I believe strongly in collaboration and just general respect and courtesy.  Just going ahead and doing what he thinks without consulting in turn makes more work and everything harder.  Not to mention inconsistencies with information the staff are given and info on processes and procedures.  But, if I was in his shoes and I come in and take over from somehow that's been there so long, I'd be open with them, ask them how things are done and how they like them done.  If I feel the need to start to change some things, that would come with time.  I wrote in my email yesterday that we have no issue if he wasnt to change some things to suit him, but knowing how they operate in the first hand and the reasons why they are how they are would probably be a good idea instead of just trying to piss on the gound and claim his territory for the sake of it.

Have you actually met him yet?  Is it possible you are just reading into his written words a bit too much?  Face to face meetings definitely help for these things.  That's how you'll really get to know him and understand who he is.  I wonder if he got a different impression on the job and the reason why he says things like "his team" but if the guy is ultimately on a power trip and you ultimately want to relinquish some responsibilities, maybe it's best to help him accomplish both your goals.

Yeah, his first day I spent an hour just having a general chat.  It was me asking all the questions and inititiating the conversation.  He had no questions for me, didn't ask about my history experience and nothing about the job.  Also had a couple of backhanded comments on the way things were done on a couple of things and questioned why this and that were done as it wasn't right.  Wasn't a great start.

I will see how this morning goes.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #424 on: January 29, 2020, 05:31:25 PM »
Ah yea the guy sounds like he has a terrible attitude, terrible way to start a new job by talking down to people. 

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #425 on: January 29, 2020, 07:46:49 PM »
Had a catch up this morning.  He is very set in his ways.  He wasn't agressive and listened to everything we had to say but could tell he was looking at me at times like he didn't like what I was saying.  It was civil and hopefully a good outcome at the end.  We recommended that learning the job first is important before wanting to change.  We are all up for change but there's time, and we are in a busy period so now is not really the best time. 

I told him, I'm not a controlling person but I'm here for support and we are to work together.  I did tell him I've dedicated my life to this job for a long long time so while I'm happy for him to take charge once he's confortable, I'm still going to be involved.

Staff rang me about an issue on Saturday and he said he didn't understand why they didn't ring him.  I looked at him and said, 'you've been here 4 days mate.'  So by looking at past history he's been in a lot of job for short periods of time so I think building rapports and working and developing staff may be something he hasn't had a lot of dealing with.  But to expect staff to ring him after 4 days as opposed to myself who is a piece of old antique furniture was strange to me.  I don't think he really knows what he's in for, but I'm taking upon myself to take charge and guide hiim that way if things don't work out he can never say he didn't get trained or support.  He was also asking staff about verious operations which is fine to a degree, but I said don't avoid me, I'm pretty easy going and will help you if you show respect and work with me.  There's no 'me' or 'my staff' we are a team, and that's the way I work.  He did say with some things he's very black and white and by the book.  We will clash there, I'm hands on and deal with things in front of me and realise while yes guidelines are black and white, sometimes things just don't work like that.  I like bending the rules and doing what I need to do at times to operate and get shit done when I need to.  Unless it's totally unsafe or unreasonable, I'm not going to sacrifice service or my staff.  He disagreed with that, but we'll see, maybe a balance will work out.

At least I tackled this head on within 2 days.  happy I didn't stew and get more bitter.  I take my job seriously but not enough now to make myself sick with stress and anger.  it seems his communication and language is a bit slack and my boss said it comes across a little harsh and he needs to tone it down and format and write emails a bit more eloquently and formally.  I thought email writing was quite a common sense thing in a corporation until at least you've got familiar relationships.

Time will tell now.  One day at a time.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #426 on: January 29, 2020, 08:18:43 PM »
Sounds good, Kade!

I thought email writing was quite a common sense thing in a corporation until at least you've got familiar relationships.

Yeah, you'd think so, but every business has their own culture. He just may be familiar with wording things a certain way.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #427 on: January 29, 2020, 08:36:30 PM »
Sounds good, Kade!

I thought email writing was quite a common sense thing in a corporation until at least you've got familiar relationships.

Yeah, you'd think so, but every business has their own culture. He just may be familiar with wording things a certain way.

Yeah, seems I think where he's worked previously there was significantly less people so that may be why.  The local government corporation I work there is distinct email etiquette.  I'm pretty casual but this I understand.  Things can get conscrewed any way you like with the way you write.

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #428 on: January 31, 2020, 02:23:09 PM »
Man, do I want to rant about our current work situation but I just came home from work (it's midnight here) and have to get up in 5 hours to go to work again tomorrow on Saturday and perhaps on Sunday too depending on how much I'll be able to do tomorrow. These hours are unpaid too but I'll be able to take these hours off later in February and the only reason I agreed to it is that my birthday is in February and it'd be nice to have some days off during that time.

The rant may still be coming tomorrow but for now I'm just livid that the girl who was supposed to help me with this work (only just employed, fresh from the university, but instantly given the position I had to work for about four years) spent the whole week doing jackshit after I gave her examples of what she needed to do and showed her through the process of doing it, and when she was leaving the office at fucking 4 PM she had the nerve to wish me a great weekend knowing full well I'm going to be at work for probably the whole weekend.

I'm off to get some sleep.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #429 on: January 31, 2020, 02:27:22 PM »
That's annoying and I hate the short turnarounds for work at times, get some sleep

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #430 on: January 31, 2020, 06:12:14 PM »
Man, do I want to rant about our current work situation but I just came home from work (it's midnight here) and have to get up in 5 hours to go to work again tomorrow on Saturday and perhaps on Sunday too depending on how much I'll be able to do tomorrow. These hours are unpaid too but I'll be able to take these hours off later in February and the only reason I agreed to it is that my birthday is in February and it'd be nice to have some days off during that time.

The rant may still be coming tomorrow but for now I'm just livid that the girl who was supposed to help me with this work (only just employed, fresh from the university, but instantly given the position I had to work for about four years) spent the whole week doing jackshit after I gave her examples of what she needed to do and showed her through the process of doing it, and when she was leaving the office at fucking 4 PM she had the nerve to wish me a great weekend knowing full well I'm going to be at work for probably the whole weekend.

I'm off to get some sleep.

Let it flow Ruslan, let it flow.

It's a bitter taste when you work hard to get a position and then someone walks in based on them answering a few questions well in an interview and instantly gets paid the same as you. I know that's the way it is and it's out of one's control but man it can be a real kick in the nuts.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #431 on: January 31, 2020, 06:17:29 PM »
The guy I was ranting about is being a real asshat.  Had that meeting to try and get some common ground but it's clear he has power issues and just thinks his way is the only way.  He just has that air of arrogance that he thinks he's better than everyone else, plain and simple.  Also telling staff that he knows how to manage and run everything and he wants to run them alone and his way.  Haha, fuck off mate, you met your match, I'd give him full control if he wasn't such a cunt and would learn the processes before wanting to think his way is better than anyone elses.  He's the person that will just disagree with you for the sake of it.

It's also funny how he saying shit to staff.  Does he not realise it's going to get back to me?  I know what goes on everywhere and what people are saying.  Interesting times ahead.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #432 on: January 31, 2020, 06:56:14 PM »
Fuck that guy, excuse my language, but when you start a job even if you are in a position of power, you should enter with respect of those who are there and show them the respect that you would want from them.  Arrogance doesn't help anything.  Guy could be smart and have great ideas and ambition to do a great job but when you start off rubbing everyone the wrong way, it really doesn't help anything and puts you in a bad spot right from the get go. 

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #433 on: January 31, 2020, 09:36:02 PM »
The guy I was ranting about is being a real asshat.  Had that meeting to try and get some common ground but it's clear he has power issues and just thinks his way is the only way.  He just has that air of arrogance that he thinks he's better than everyone else, plain and simple.  Also telling staff that he knows how to manage and run everything and he wants to run them alone and his way.  Haha, fuck off mate, you met your match, I'd give him full control if he wasn't such a cunt and would learn the processes before wanting to think his way is better than anyone elses.  He's the person that will just disagree with you for the sake of it.

It's also funny how he saying shit to staff.  Does he not realise it's going to get back to me?  I know what goes on everywhere and what people are saying.  Interesting times ahead.

I was a bit skeptical at first when I read your first rant but yeah, sounds like a real asshat. :lol

The girl from my rant is on a lower payroll than me but it's still a position where it's expected from you to know the things she was tasked to do.

It's 7.30 AM, just had a morning coffee and life's not that bad actually. No one else is in the office yet too, which is great, can put some metal on while I'm at it.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #434 on: February 01, 2020, 02:28:18 AM »
Fuck that guy, excuse my language, but when you start a job even if you are in a position of power, you should enter with respect of those who are there and show them the respect that you would want from them.  Arrogance doesn't help anything.  Guy could be smart and have great ideas and ambition to do a great job but when you start off rubbing everyone the wrong way, it really doesn't help anything and puts you in a bad spot right from the get go.

Perfectly said mate, agree with every word.

I was a bit skeptical at first when I read your first rant but yeah, sounds like a real asshat. :lol

The girl from my rant is on a lower payroll than me but it's still a position where it's expected from you to know the things she was tasked to do.

It's 7.30 AM, just had a morning coffee and life's not that bad actually. No one else is in the office yet too, which is great, can put some metal on while I'm at it.

Skeptical about one of my rants..........no, I don't believe that?!  :o

Yeah, I keep looking at myself and trying to put myself in his shoes but my gut instincts are usually right.  I wish they weren't.  Gonna take this guy day by day.  The way this guy has started is just the exact opposite of how I would be I believe so it's hard to see his side really.  He has also come in and picked fault at just about everything.  Questioning me why things are how they are.  Thing is, most of those things are out of ny control and I work with what I have.  He also sent an email to the staff saying a few strange things but said he wouldn't be talking with the staff about generic issues like sport and weather.  He doesn't even want to get to know the staff yet wants them to work.

Unfortunately, it seems his people management is very poor.  Can see him trying to be a tyrant and some staff already saying WTF is with this guy.  He also which was weird, last Saturday there was an issue and I went in and resolved it.  He said in the meeting that he wasn't communicated to that there was an issue and I went in.  He also said the staff should have called him.  I replied with, 'dude, you've been here 4 days.'  Right there I learnt a lot about him.

For your situation, even people getting paid less still makes you work harder than you should, and that sucks.  More and more people are in roles these days where they really don't know their craft.  It's frustrating.  Having the office to yourself is also one of the best things ever mate.

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #435 on: February 01, 2020, 08:26:25 AM »
I just found something new work related that had me somewhere between annoyed and pissed off. Our days go from midnight to 1159pm.  I got my schedule for this week (one of my last 2), and I could swear she's fucking with me. Scheduled Monday night 11pm-730a. Off Tue. Then Wed morning 145a-945a. Then off Thur, Fri TBD and then a 5.5 hour shift on Saturday.

If you look at it... Tue really isn't a day off. Originally the tentative schedule had me on 11p-730a on Mon and Tue nights then off Thur and Fri. Now I either work on Fri and get my (almost) 40 hours (37.5), but only have one day off, or don't work Fri and get.. 29.5?

I wouldn't be peeved if it wasn't for the fact that it was changed last minute before publishing the schedule.
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #436 on: February 01, 2020, 11:51:22 AM »

My first impression from your post was that maybe guy just wasn't acquainted with how things are done in your company and was perhaps a bit over-enthusiastic at the beginning. Also your "I'm the easiest guy to work with, also here's my 500 words rant about that fucker, fuck off mate" didn't help the case :lol I'm fairly convinced he's an ass now though, the "why didn't they call me" when he was there for only four days sealed the deal.

Thankfully won't have to work tomorrow, did a shitload of stuff today and I think we're going to meet the deadline after all. By the way Kade, was just heading home now and saw the small Movenpick chocolate icecream tubs were on discount in a grocery store so I instantly thought about you and bought one. I'm about to try it I think, hopefully it's good!

edit: damn, it's indeed really good.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2020, 12:27:19 PM by Evermind »

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #437 on: February 01, 2020, 12:49:20 PM »

My first impression from your post was that maybe guy just wasn't acquainted with how things are done in your company and was perhaps a bit over-enthusiastic at the beginning. Also your "I'm the easiest guy to work with, also here's my 500 words rant about that fucker, fuck off mate" didn't help the case :lol I'm fairly convinced he's an ass now though, the "why didn't they call me" when he was there for only four days sealed the deal.

Thankfully won't have to work tomorrow, did a shitload of stuff today and I think we're going to meet the deadline after all. By the way Kade, was just heading home now and saw the small Movenpick chocolate icecream tubs were on discount in a grocery store so I instantly thought about you and bought one. I'm about to try it I think, hopefully it's good!

edit: damn, it's indeed really good.

That line was being sarcastic.  I just realised I put in the wrong smiley.  I meant this one  ;D

Of course everyone should be skeptical of my rants hahahaha. I really am easy to get along with, I just expect courtesy, respect and common sense from people.  I guess I ask too nuch sometimes.

Enjoy your day off and yep amazing ice cream haha.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #438 on: February 02, 2020, 03:18:56 AM »
I just found something new work related that had me somewhere between annoyed and pissed off. Our days go from midnight to 1159pm.  I got my schedule for this week (one of my last 2), and I could swear she's fucking with me. Scheduled Monday night 11pm-730a. Off Tue. Then Wed morning 145a-945a. Then off Thur, Fri TBD and then a 5.5 hour shift on Saturday.

If you look at it... Tue really isn't a day off. Originally the tentative schedule had me on 11p-730a on Mon and Tue nights then off Thur and Fri. Now I either work on Fri and get my (almost) 40 hours (37.5), but only have one day off, or don't work Fri and get.. 29.5?

I wouldn't be peeved if it wasn't for the fact that it was changed last minute before publishing the schedule.

How did you know it was changed when it wasn't published?  Things do happen to change rosters at the death.  Happens to me most fortnights, mainly with staff doing sneaky late availability changes.  Also, would you technically not call Monday off since starting at 11pm?  Also, you get Sunday off?  You also have from 9:45am Wednesday until Friday some time off?  That's seems like a substantial break I would think.  It's hard to follow these night hours crossing over days.

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #439 on: February 02, 2020, 12:28:40 PM »
Amazon

All of the hype for the live release of Ayreon's Electric Castle got me thinking about the anniversary edition that came out with the remixed audio. I had never bothered to look into it until recently. Went to Amazon and found the release from Music Theories and started reading the reviews. Lots of people praising the remix and what have you. I had a gift card so I ordered it.

It arrived today and I immediately started realizing something was wrong. Quickly realized this was just a repackage of the original. Normally, I would eat it and move on, but as I get older I am getting a little more ornery. I opened a return request and called out the entry at the site that based on all of the reviews under it, it appeared to be the remix. Figured it's worth a shot.

I have since discovered that the Earbook seems to be the only way to get a physical copy of the remix. Laser CD had it so I ordered it from them. Turned out I had $25 in credit there which cut the price in half.

I do admit that some of the blame is on me for not doing my normal due diligence. I've had a rough few weeks so I am not at the top of my game.
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #440 on: February 02, 2020, 04:44:18 PM »

How did you know it was changed when it wasn't published?  Things do happen to change rosters at the death.  Happens to me most fortnights, mainly with staff doing sneaky late availability changes.  Also, would you technically not call Monday off since starting at 11pm?  Also, you get Sunday off?  You also have from 9:45am Wednesday until Friday some time off?  That's seems like a substantial break I would think.  It's hard to follow these night hours crossing over days.

I'm one of the few people who can see the schedule when she's working on it before it's published. That's due to originally I was supposed to be able to help with the schedule, and make changes if shit went down (even doing it in her place if it came down to it).

Short version, I was tentatively scheduled for for something, and then she pulled me (a full time employee) off and put someone on who is a part time employee. It's an unwritten rule, you take from full time employees to give to part time. Especially when the part time is getting what they are normally scheduled.  The schedule was sitting there like that for several days then  changed literally a few hours before she finally published it.

I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #441 on: February 02, 2020, 06:08:39 PM »

That's too bad. But always stay cool, man.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #442 on: February 03, 2020, 04:49:58 AM »

That's too bad. But always stay cool, man.

Yeah man.  Watching all my words and thinking before each interaction.  There is so many ways that I could be portrayed as not helping and controlling but even today this guy is simply short on common sense and simply can't think outside the box. 

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #443 on: February 03, 2020, 08:29:29 AM »
Man, I can't catch a break. Amazon, again, and this time it is really their fault.

I ordered the new album from Deathwihite, Grave Image. It arrived today. Well, what arrived was an empty shipping envelope. Had to do a chat because there is no way to handle a return on nothing. The chat person was great, but the album is now backordered 1 to 4 weeks.

My streak of luck continues.
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #444 on: February 03, 2020, 01:00:28 PM »
Man, I can't catch a break. Amazon, again, and this time it is really their fault.

I ordered the new album from Deathwihite, Grave Image. It arrived today. Well, what arrived was an empty shipping envelope. Had to do a chat because there is no way to handle a return on nothing. The chat person was great, but the album is now backordered 1 to 4 weeks.

Lol what the hell?  They are deadset taking the piss out of you mate.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #445 on: February 03, 2020, 01:18:04 PM »

On the plus side that album is really good, so, good choice :)
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #446 on: February 03, 2020, 01:39:22 PM »

On the plus side that album is really good, so, good choice :)

I'm sure it is and I was looking forward to it today. I have a lot of running around to do after work and I planned on listening to it then. I do have an Auto-rip for it. I might have to force myself to download it, but I prefer to do my initial listening via CD before going compressed.

Offline black_biff_stadler

• 6th place finalist at New Orleans Skullet Fest 2010
  • DT.net Member
  • blackwater_floyd, get it?
« Reply #447 on: February 07, 2020, 02:03:33 PM »
I need some advice before I blow my fucking top. I recently worked at some mom'n'pop restaurant. It was only for a week and was four short shifts totaling what I believe is about 18 hours. Server wage is as low as $2.13 an hour in Louisiana so that would make my hourly come to about $38 before taxes. Since the first two shifts were training where I couldn't receive tips, I think I might legally have to be paid $7.25 an hour for those 9 hours since that's national minimum wage which I think I'd be entitled to since server wage is usually only legal when tips are also present. If so, then my pre-tax hourly wages should've been a little over $80.

On my first shift where I got tips, I had two credit card tips which would've been held for the check since the only money we got to walk with on a daily basis was cash tips. Those were collectively about $22. My fourth and final shift involved the entire wait staff splitting the tips earned from two private parties which had booked the entire restaurant for that evening. I'd heard that one of them had a prearranged total of $6000. So even if they'd only tipped 15% that would've been $900 to split among the 9 or 10 servers/bartenders working that night before even counting the other party.

Not even counting the other party and using $2.13/hour as my pay rate for all 18 hours worked, my pre-tax earnings should've been at least $38 ($2.13 x 18 hours) + $90 = $128. Even taxing that at 25% (more than I've been taxed at any table waiting job), I should still have at least $95.

If we use the more realistic pay rate of $7.25/hour for the training period and assume the other party was at least $2000 (very likely more than that, in reality) and still use the meager 15% gratuity figure, we get $84 (hourly wages) + $90 (party #1) + $30 (party #2) = $204. Taxing that at 25%, we're left with $153.

Wanna know how much my direct deposit was for all of this? $32. Thirty two dollars. While their little shithole restaurant does appear to be run incompetently enough that I could entertain the notion that they just fucked up when doing payroll, I also have enough experience working for shady-ass, fly by night mom'n'pops to know that they're probably just stealing from me because I only worked there for a week and they think they can get away with it due to it being difficult for me to prove what they did.

So, my reason for making this post is to ask y'all how I should handle this? Do I need to record a phone call with them? Do I do something else? I had to move back in with my parents who live over an hour away from where that restaurant is so confronting them in person would be very inconvenient and I'm probably gonna be living here at least six months so the in-person approach just isn't practical.
Users who've sigged me (Join today!): LCArenas, Jakartabassplayer, LeeHarveyKennedy, Global Laziness, Portrucci, obscure, FlyingBIZKIT, alirocker08, senecadawg2, DebraKadabra, JayOctavarium, Cedar redaC, (almost) bout to crash, ? (the forum member, not the fucking punctuation mark), Zeltar, lonestar, ASacrificedSon

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #448 on: February 07, 2020, 02:13:43 PM »
Did you get any paperwork documenting the hours, the rate and any withholdings?  Did your shifts span one or two pay periods? 

Not licensed in Louisiana, and am not giving you legal advice, but find out whether Louisiana is a one-party or two-party consent state before you tape anyone.  Not sure where that gets you anyway, but still.  The harsh reality is, unless it's a real mistake that they're willing to correct, you're probably going to spend $100 to get $10.  There's always Yelp, though (not joking, and not mocking you). 

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #449 on: February 07, 2020, 02:15:29 PM »
Send a courteous email asking for a breakdown of where the money is.  You avoid wiretapping charges and you have a paper trail.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

• DT.net Member
« Reply #450 on: February 07, 2020, 02:22:23 PM »
Thanks Stad and Bart :tup I can try to request a paper check, I suppose. It was just one pay period so there's no chance that I got confused and am looking for money that just hasn't generated a check yet (I assume that's what you were attempting to troubleshoot with that question.)

Re: one- or two-party

https://recordinglaw.com/louisiana-recording-laws/

Louisiana recording law stipulates that it is a one party consent state.  In Louisiana it is a criminal offense to use any device to record communications whether it’s wire, oral or electronic without the consent of at least one person taking part in the communication.

This means that in Louisiana, you are legally allowed to record a conversation you take part in.
Users who've sigged me (Join today!): LCArenas, Jakartabassplayer, LeeHarveyKennedy, Global Laziness, Portrucci, obscure, FlyingBIZKIT, alirocker08, senecadawg2, DebraKadabra, JayOctavarium, Cedar redaC, (almost) bout to crash, ? (the forum member, not the fucking punctuation mark), Zeltar, lonestar, ASacrificedSon

• DT.net Member
« Reply #451 on: February 07, 2020, 02:24:14 PM »
Also, here's the rest of what that page said just in case y'all didn't have time to click on it:

La. Rev. Stat. § 15:1303 – You are able to record any conversations that you are party to in Louisiana unless a criminal or tortious purpose exists.  Breaking this law, either by recording or disclosing the contents of a private communication without consent can carry a fine of between 2 and 10 years.

La. Rev. Stat. § 15:1312 – If you are a victim of recording crime then you may claim civil damages.  These damages are $100 for each day of violation up to a total of $1000 as well as any litigation costs, attorney fees, and punitive damages.

La. Rev. Stat. § 14:283 – If any type of hidden camera is used for  ‘lewd or lascivious purpose’ then it is considered illegal.

Brown v. Brown, 877 So.2d 1228 (La. Ct. App. 2004) – In this case it was upheld that a wifes secretly recorded phone calls of her husband on her own telephone were not illegally intercepted, regardless of the intention for the use of these recordings, as she was party to the conversation.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #452 on: February 07, 2020, 04:26:42 PM »
Coming home to see your Power is out. Grrrr.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

• DT.net Member
« Reply #453 on: February 07, 2020, 05:18:36 PM »
Right at the start of your weekend too. Sorry man. I feel like this is at least the third time I've seen you mention a power outage in your area in the last 6 months. How often do y'all lose power out there?

Offline Northern Lion

• Defender of Liberty
« Reply #454 on: February 07, 2020, 06:41:39 PM »
Coming home to see your Power is out. Grrrr.

That's the worst.  I hope it comes back on for you soon.  And I hope you at least have a source of heat.
"You call it facial hair, I call it awesomeness escaping through my face"