Author Topic: What pissed you off today?  (Read 124591 times)

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
Re: What pissed you off today?
« Reply #315 on: December 31, 2019, 01:39:51 PM »
Hackers pissed me off today. Someone got a hold of my wife's debit card info and drained our checking account today through something called Coinbase.

Several phone calls have now happened. My wife is at the bank. We have to call the police and file a report. Meanwhile, I have no money until this is resolved. Well, at least until Friday. Of course, I also have an auto-pay bill that plans to pay out tomorrow. Trying to figure out how to get that sorted out.

I hate people that do this, I really do. Completely ruined my vibe for New Year's. I'm staggeringly pissed.
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #316 on: December 31, 2019, 01:41:28 PM »
That fucking blows.

We have basically stopped using our Debit card.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #317 on: December 31, 2019, 01:44:00 PM »
That sucks for sure, Prof. Peart.  I hope that gets straightened out as quickly and smoothly as possible.

I have never used a debit card.  Credit card or cash only. 

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #318 on: December 31, 2019, 01:46:19 PM »
I'm so sorry.  Man, those are the type of people I want to see suffer a slow, torturous death.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #319 on: December 31, 2019, 03:20:54 PM »
Why even get out of the car?

Totally acknowledging the fact that I wasn't there, this was my question as well. Life is full of unnecessary confrontations. Seldom does anyone say "I am so glad I escalated that benign situation by raising it to the level of a confrontation."
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #320 on: December 31, 2019, 03:42:47 PM »
and now what's p*ssing me off are some of these responses.  Walk a mile in my shoes............

The cop should have run up to her to find out just WTW was wrong with that idiot, not berated me for somehow stopping two feet short of running over a pedestrian. 
...going along with Dragon Attack's Queen thread has been like taking a free class in Queen knowledge. Where else are you gonna find info like that?!

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #321 on: December 31, 2019, 04:23:24 PM »
I'm so sorry.  Man, those are the type of people I want to see suffer a slow, torturous death.

Thanks for the sentiments everyone. This quote is what I was truly thinking, but didn't say. It is right on point.
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #322 on: December 31, 2019, 04:35:27 PM »
DragonAttack, I think Chino and I were coming at it from a point of safety. That gal could have been a violent lunatic, she could have had a knife or other weapon. You wouldn't have known and getting out of your car put yourself unnecessarily in danger, with nothing really to gain. I can assure you we have all been in a similar situation on the roadways. I hit a guy on a bike once in the company van with my passenger-side mirror. I thought I veered in to him but he was on the sidewalk and I didn't hit the curb. I talked to a guy who saw it all and he said the bicycle guy steered in to me and would have gone in to the street if I wasn't there. I was terrified thinking I could have killed a guy for the next couple days all because a dude couldn't control his bike.

As to the part with the cop, yeah sounds like an overreaction, and a dialogue where you could have presented your story would have benefited the encounter greatly.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline Herrick

• Hello Mangs
« Reply #323 on: December 31, 2019, 09:51:47 PM »
The wife and I were doing some simple finalized shopping for a small group to visit here tonight.

On our way home on a 30MPH street this morning, a total nutjob female suddenly darted in front of our car and was screaming.  I have no idea if she was out of her element, waited way to late to cross the boulevard, or was trying to commit suicide, with our vehicle being her exit device.  We came to a halt about two feet from her, and I jumped out of my vehicle yelling and wondering WTF was her problem.  A county cop was nearby.  He got out of his vehicle, grabbed me, and then started to yell and chastise ME for yelling at her!!!   And then threatened us, without ever going up to that individual to find out what HER problem was.

We've known every Precinct captain over the past seven years, the county commanders, etc....because we are 'big shots' in a way with the county police and our elected officials.  But, WE were threatened for 'harrassing' some nut who was lucky that I have great peripheral vision.  Yes, I have his badge number, the car number, and will be talking with Captain Chemelli and Commander Hyatt tomorrow. 

Glad that the last day of the year did not result in a fatality at 'my hands'.

Why even get out of the car? People fuck up. No one got hurt. Let it go and carry on with your life. I don't blame the cop.

Sounds like the cop just saw a man screaming at a woman. I doubt the cop will get in trouble...unless trouble is made for him I guess.
DISPLAY thy Breasts, My Julia!

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #324 on: January 01, 2020, 04:24:23 AM »
The wife and I were doing some simple finalized shopping for a small group to visit here tonight.

On our way home on a 30MPH street this morning, a total nutjob female suddenly darted in front of our car and was screaming.  I have no idea if she was out of her element, waited way to late to cross the boulevard, or was trying to commit suicide, with our vehicle being her exit device.  We came to a halt about two feet from her, and I jumped out of my vehicle yelling and wondering WTF was her problem.  A county cop was nearby.  He got out of his vehicle, grabbed me, and then started to yell and chastise ME for yelling at her!!!   And then threatened us, without ever going up to that individual to find out what HER problem was.

We've known every Precinct captain over the past seven years, the county commanders, etc....because we are 'big shots' in a way with the county police and our elected officials.  But, WE were threatened for 'harrassing' some nut who was lucky that I have great peripheral vision.  Yes, I have his badge number, the car number, and will be talking with Captain Chemelli and Commander Hyatt tomorrow. 

Glad that the last day of the year did not result in a fatality at 'my hands'.

It's a miracle she lived and no one died.  I guess it's by the grace of God that everyone survived.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #325 on: January 01, 2020, 04:25:23 AM »

This.

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #326 on: January 01, 2020, 08:42:07 AM »
and now what's p*ssing me off are some of these responses.  Walk a mile in my shoes............

Oh c'mon man. I sit in 350 miles of traffic every week. I've seen everything there is to see on the road. Getting out of your car and escalating a scene, especially when there was no accident involved, is just foolish and unnecessary.

And then threatened us, without ever going up to that individual to find out what HER problem was.

If the cop didn't see the incident play out, what do you expect? He's sees a man in public out in the middle of the road, berating and screaming at someone with no damage to either car. Walk a mile in the cop's shoes............

We've known every Precinct captain over the past seven years, the county commanders, etc....because we are 'big shots' in a way with the county police and our elected officials.

Seems a little entitled to me, like you expected some sort of immunity for your actions based on your connections. You could just have easily endangered others with your display of rage.

Buy a dashcam.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2020, 08:49:21 AM by Chino »

Offline Herrick

• Hello Mangs
« Reply #327 on: January 01, 2020, 09:01:35 AM »
If the cop didn't see the incident play out, what do you expect? He's sees a man in public out in the middle of the road, berating and screaming at someone with no damage to either car. Walk a mile in the cop's shoes............

She was a pedestrian.
DISPLAY thy Breasts, My Julia!

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #328 on: January 01, 2020, 10:06:53 AM »
Woke up to a phone call (voice mail) asking if I'll come in and cover a shift... As someone called out SICK at one of our accounts.

I feel bad because if I don't drive down to cover it, our field supervisor will wind up having to work a double shift to cover it.

Here's my reasoning why I won't do it.

A: The person called out sick. On a holiday.  I've gotten shit the last 2 times I tried to call in sick (I had 2 sick days I couldn't use and were just lost at midnight)

2: Yes it's holiday pay, but if I take this shift, I'll be pulled off of another shift later in the week. So while I'll still be getting time and a half, I'll lose out on the extra money I should be getting.

C: I was told last minute (okay 2 day notice) that instead of being off NYE evening, I was being sent to cover a post until midnight. So I rang in New Years Eve while working. When I actually had plans.

I'm technically not off tomorrow because I have to bring my work car in for tires, oil change, etc . That's going to be a 2-3 hour ordeal.

E: I got home at 1:00 AM and got to bed at almost 3. You called me at 8:30 AM. I'm going back to bed.

I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #329 on: January 01, 2020, 12:53:26 PM »
Good for you, Jay.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #330 on: January 01, 2020, 03:08:53 PM »
Woke up to a phone call (voice mail) asking if I'll come in and cover a shift... As someone called out SICK at one of our accounts.

I feel bad because if I don't drive down to cover it, our field supervisor will wind up having to work a double shift to cover it.

Here's my reasoning why I won't do it.

A: The person called out sick. On a holiday.  I've gotten shit the last 2 times I tried to call in sick (I had 2 sick days I couldn't use and were just lost at midnight)

2: Yes it's holiday pay, but if I take this shift, I'll be pulled off of another shift later in the week. So while I'll still be getting time and a half, I'll lose out on the extra money I should be getting.

C: I was told last minute (okay 2 day notice) that instead of being off NYE evening, I was being sent to cover a post until midnight. So I rang in New Years Eve while working. When I actually had plans.

I'm technically not off tomorrow because I have to bring my work car in for tires, oil change, etc . That's going to be a 2-3 hour ordeal.

E: I got home at 1:00 AM and got to bed at almost 3. You called me at 8:30 AM. I'm going back to bed.

That's the Supervisors job to do those extra covers when shit goes down and there's no fill ins.

Offline JayOctavarium

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #331 on: January 01, 2020, 04:23:27 PM »
Yes, but we only have 1 field supervisor at the moment. Usually 2. I am technically not a field supervisor, but am trained on 7 of our accounts. Usually he gets stuck covering before I do. He's no stranger to being on the clock for 16-20 hours at a time. He just can't physically be in 2 or 3 places at once.

Still, give me my damn day off.
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #332 on: January 01, 2020, 04:24:18 PM »
I especially don't like where you have to give the hours back later in the week.

Offline JayOctavarium

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #333 on: January 01, 2020, 04:27:18 PM »
I especially don't like where you have to give the hours back later in the week.

Since I am at a higher pay rate than others, she (the girl whom does the scheduling who's entire focus is on cutting OT) will do everything she can to save the company money. When honestly... what's a few dollars when you look at the big picture? Especially since everything was filled (meaning no client had a hole in their coverage, coverage that they pay for hourly per their contract). That was my opinion when I was running my own account.

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #334 on: January 01, 2020, 04:30:59 PM »

Yeah, I don't agree with that either.

Yes, but we only have 1 field supervisor at the moment. Usually 2. I am technically not a field supervisor, but am trained on 7 of our accounts. Usually he gets stuck covering before I do. He's no stranger to being on the clock for 16-20 hours at a time. He just can't physically be in 2 or 3 places at once.

Still, give me my damn day off.

I see why you'd feel bad, but does the buck stop with him?  Maybe he needs to express concerns higher.

Since I am at a higher pay rate than others, she (the girl whom does the scheduling who's entire focus is on cutting OT) will do everything she can to save the company money. When honestly... what's a few dollars when you look at the big picture? Especially since everything was filled (meaning no client had a hole in their coverage, coverage that they pay for hourly per their contract). That was my opinion when I was running my own account.

Bugger them mate.  I bet she's getting paid extra though.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #335 on: January 01, 2020, 04:45:38 PM »
Jay, I'm a supervisor and have done so much free shit for years to try and save the company money.  Over the last 12 months, I've finally realised that it doesn't mean shit.  They value me as much as some fuckass that's been there 5 minutes and doesn't add any value to the company.  I'm in local government so it may be different but I've built a rod for my own back over the years with the amount of work I do and I demand to get paid extra now.

Trying to save the company money only made my boss look good (which he takes credit for all my work) and the only reason he bullied us into not putting in overtime was to meet his KPI's to get his yearly bonus.  He use to say if we put in too much overtime it would put our program and business into jeopardy and could potentially lose our jobs.  I'm a smart guy but couldn't believe I fell for this for so long.  I guess this prick is lucky I'm a workaholic and have morals and standards but he is looking good because of my work, and my teams work.  He gets paid double what I do and if he does overtime, he fucking gets paid.

Fuck them Jay and don't feel bad.  There's always more going on behind the scenes in most cases.  Especially people trying to save the company money.  It's for their own gain, not the company.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2020, 07:44:44 PM by wolfking »

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #336 on: January 01, 2020, 06:12:45 PM »
One of my managers about 5 years ago used to text me pictures of shit I didn't get done. When I finally had enough, I told him the next time he does that, I am blocking him, and I will charge him an hour to read any text he sends me while I'm off the clock.

You have my number as a courtesy. I don't mind answering a question, but don't use it to bust my balls.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #337 on: January 01, 2020, 06:19:25 PM »
One of my managers about 5 years ago used to text me pictures of shit I didn't get done. When I finally had enough, I told him the next time he does that, I am blocking him, and I will charge him an hour to read any text he sends me while I'm off the clock.

You have my number as a courtesy. I don't mind answering a question, but don't use it to bust my balls.

What a weak cunt.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #338 on: January 01, 2020, 06:22:36 PM »

What a weak cunt.

Yeah, I had just worked a 9 hour day sick as a fucking dog, and I did it to set up a huge seasonal display. I left a shelf leaning up against the wall. Are you kidding me. I told him in the time it took to take the picture nd text me, he could've just supported his team and taken care of it.

Shit that's not the half of it. As I told you offline, I used to do that job. I fucking aired him out after that. What a fucking disgrace. I used to page him to the front end when it got busy just to piss him off. He'd be up hiding under his desk. pathetic.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #339 on: January 02, 2020, 04:53:23 AM »
I hate when people - because they have the "title" of being your manager - feel they are superior and more knowledgable than you.  I've worked for a few people who didn't know 1/2 of what I knew about the job, and where I could have just as easily been their manager.  Some people need to learn a little humility, as well as understand what makes a good *leader*.  Fortunately, I have a humble boss right now - I could do his job in a heartbeat, but I don't need the shit that he has to deal with.  He appreciates the fuck out of everything our team does.

First time in a LONG time I've had that.  But yeah.... I've been through all that shit with ass-clown, arrogant, shit-for-brains bosses.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #340 on: January 02, 2020, 07:03:19 AM »
That's all true, and I've been there too, for sure.   But there's also the other side; at least you two seem to understand that bosses often have a different responsibility list, and different metrics.   There are a LOT of people that are all like "F my boss, man, I could way do his/her job so much better than they can!" then you dig in and realize that they have zero clue what their bosses obligations/deliverables really are.   If they are a boss, they by definition they have staffing issues, they have review responsibility, they have roll-up (for numbers) responsibility...

Bosses are not EXCLUSIVELY around to make your job easier; they are around to meet their metrics.   GOOD bosses will make every effort to do both, and will be honest and forthright (and will contribute themselves) when they cannot. 

I'm not at all suggesting that anyone here is wrong or out of line in their criticism of bosses - first, how would I know I don't work for or with them, and second, even if I was to guess what it's like, it doesn't sound like it - but to sort of provide the alternate view.   

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #341 on: January 02, 2020, 07:36:14 AM »
I kinda disagree with some of that Bill.  A good/great boss will A) align the goals of their staff to support their own goals/measurements, and then B) do everything possible to allow their staff to succeed... which in turn means they succeed.  Yes, bosses have different responsibilities, and have things such as you suggest.  In the end, if a boss is successful / meets their goals on the backs of (or at the expense of) their staff, they are a great employee but a horrible fucking boss.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #342 on: January 02, 2020, 07:50:56 AM »
I kinda disagree with some of that Bill.  A good/great boss will A) align the goals of their staff to support their own goals/measurements, and then B) do everything possible to allow their staff to succeed... which in turn means they succeed.  Yes, bosses have different responsibilities, and have things such as you suggest.  In the end, if a boss is successful / meets their goals on the backs of (or at the expense of) their staff, they are a great employee but a horrible fucking boss.

I don't disagree with that; but "alignment" doesn't mean they are the same.  There's a point at which the tasks morph from the issue at hand - making widgets, selling gizmos, whatever - to managing the business of making widgets, selling gizmos, whatever, and that is the point about which I am talking.     

EVERY business has areas where the metrics conflict.  My entire function often works at odds from the business in that way; I've worked at one company that entirely pulled my function out of the operation in order to preserve that conflict for benefit.  Sales guys want to SELL PRODUCT.  Things like cash flows and - god forbid - terms and conditions/contracts slow that shit right down.   So now there is conflict.   Chad the Sales Guy is all "I have an opportunity here!" and Bill the Contracts Guy is all "but we have to manage risk!" and Chad's all "But the sale! They've said NO EXCEPTIONS to their terms and conditions!" and Bill's all "well then you have to price the risk or negotiate better terms, but we can't bet the company on this one order!" and Chad's all  "but without orders there IS no company, and besides, that's NEVER going to happen!" and Bill's like "but it just happened out in California four years ago to our competitor" and Chad's all...

So the manager has to manage.    The sales guy can't be all "fucking manager; hasn't sold a gizmo in 35 years; I could SO do his job" and the contracts guy can't be all "fucking manager; all he cares about is his sales numbers; this company is going to be in the shitter in a year and a half; I could SO do his job".   

My management style is not very confrontational or antagonistic - I go for buy-in, and as the business attorney, I make sure that I have a good relationship with the Customer Directors (the lead sales people) - but that's not always easy. 

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #343 on: January 02, 2020, 09:50:21 AM »
I kind of like the "lead by example" persona of a manager.  That means getting your hands dirty when necessary. 

I lead a 12 person data center team at my previous job, while I felt some of my reports would be annoyed I would be at my desk doing work while they were maybe doing something physical or tedious in the data center, but that's not really my problem for having some poor idea of what their boss should be doing.  However, when the work would pile up or the team would be struggling, I'd have no issue dropping my individual responsibilities and helping out, showing the team how to do things and leading by example of what they should follow. 

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #344 on: January 02, 2020, 02:58:41 PM »
That's all true, and I've been there too, for sure.   But there's also the other side; at least you two seem to understand that bosses often have a different responsibility list, and different metrics.   There are a LOT of people that are all like "F my boss, man, I could way do his/her job so much better than they can!" then you dig in and realize that they have zero clue what their bosses obligations/deliverables really are.   If they are a boss, they by definition they have staffing issues, they have review responsibility, they have roll-up (for numbers) responsibility...

Bosses are not EXCLUSIVELY around to make your job easier; they are around to meet their metrics.   GOOD bosses will make every effort to do both, and will be honest and forthright (and will contribute themselves) when they cannot. 

I'm not at all suggesting that anyone here is wrong or out of line in their criticism of bosses - first, how would I know I don't work for or with them, and second, even if I was to guess what it's like, it doesn't sound like it - but to sort of provide the alternate view.

I've tried to understand all of that from my boss.  Saying that, the boss I speak of is my boss' moss, but my boss is more on my level and the boss above them is the one the buck stops with.  I've tried for years to see the side of what he does and try and get a bit of a more optimistic view to try and curb my negative viewpoint.  The problem is, it always comes back to him being an absolute liar, leech, backstabber and a boss that wouldn't have a damn clue who most of his staff are and what goes on from a day to day point of view.

I don't expect him to have an in and out knowledge of day to day operations because as you say Bill, he has different roles and criteria to meet.  But when the boss gets caught out as a liar over and over, takes 2 hour lunch breaks, tells the staff about how much he drank on the weekend and which sports team he is going to bet on, yet if those staff are doing something wrong and he sees it, won't say anything and tells me to tell them off, get fucked.  He also crumbles under pressure, and when the heat is on, doesn't back us up and throws us under the bus to save his on skin. 

I get what your saying when people go off half cocked and really have no idea on the underlying responsibilities or pressure a boss can be under but my particular boss I've worked with for 7 years now and in all that time, he hasn't helped me one bit.  I simply don't need him to do my job, yet he fucking needs me.  The only one thing I've learnt from this guy is what NOT to do as a manager.  I've learnt so much watching him that it's made me stronger, a better supervisor, made me create a better culture within my team and simply affirmed how I run things and go about my duties and people management.  Saying that, being so invested he simply takes advantage of my work ethic and as I said, reaps the benefits.

I kind of like the "lead by example" persona of a manager.  That means getting your hands dirty when necessary. 

I lead a 12 person data center team at my previous job, while I felt some of my reports would be annoyed I would be at my desk doing work while they were maybe doing something physical or tedious in the data center, but that's not really my problem for having some poor idea of what their boss should be doing.  However, when the work would pile up or the team would be struggling, I'd have no issue dropping my individual responsibilities and helping out, showing the team how to do things and leading by example of what they should follow. 

Yeah, it can really be that simple.  Creating that culture that you are a manager are no better than their staff and you would go out of their way simply goes a long way in getting the productivity and respect back.  There's nothing worse than a boss telling people to do things yet, if they had to step in and do it themselves, they'd be fucked.  Yes, this is not expected of some managers because as Bill said, they would have different things to fulfill, but being seen to be all in goes a long way.  Just don't get suckered in by staff taking advantage of that.  Don't let it get to a point where it's like they think if they don't do it, you'll come and clean up after them.  I've been there too and that's just as bad.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #345 on: January 02, 2020, 03:06:39 PM »

I think you can look at that two ways.  Bosses NEED their staff to succeed.  It's up to the staff fulfilling the duties to decide if they do it for their boss out of respect or just because it's their job, or sometimes both.  It's also up to the boss how he repays the staff for getting the job done for them. 

If they are using and abusing their staff to get the job done and taking the credit, then yes good employee, awful boss.  It's up to the boss to delegate effectively yet get the productivity out of the workers but as you said helping and doing whatever they can to get the staff to achieve the deliverable.  And in turn getting the staff to work FOR THEM, and sharing the success.

I once spoke to the highest manager above the boss I'm talking about and expressed my concerns.  He sees nothing of what goes on and any info about our program comes only from the boss, so obviously his view on everything is completely fucked.  He once told me that this guy 'meets all of his expectations of a manager.'  No matter what I said, he wouldn't listen, he met his targets and meets all expectations.  Absolute cunt is pissing on everyone below him and we think he's a piece of shit but no problem mate.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #346 on: January 03, 2020, 09:08:51 AM »
The problem is, it always comes back to him being an absolute liar, leech, backstabber

Well, almost everything I've said goes right out the window with that.   I get it, people be people, but there's a modicum of trust and transparency that has to be present for all this to work.  you don't have to love your co-workers, you don't have to even like them, but there's got to be a level of reality involved.  I'm a big fan of Jack Welch in that way:  attack the problem not the person, and see the world the way it is, not the way you want it to be.  I don't really care about credit - I've had plenty of instances where someone else got credit for my hard work over the years; I've never done it consciously, but I'm sure somewhere down the line someone is crediting me for something that someone else actually did - but you've got to be nominally pulling in the same direction.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #347 on: January 03, 2020, 10:45:25 AM »
  I don't really care about credit - I've had plenty of instances where someone else got credit for my hard work over the years;

Good point.

;D

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #348 on: January 05, 2020, 02:29:20 AM »
The problem is, it always comes back to him being an absolute liar, leech, backstabber

Well, almost everything I've said goes right out the window with that.   I get it, people be people, but there's a modicum of trust and transparency that has to be present for all this to work.  you don't have to love your co-workers, you don't have to even like them, but there's got to be a level of reality involved.  I'm a big fan of Jack Welch in that way:  attack the problem not the person, and see the world the way it is, not the way you want it to be.  I don't really care about credit - I've had plenty of instances where someone else got credit for my hard work over the years; I've never done it consciously, but I'm sure somewhere down the line someone is crediting me for something that someone else actually did - but you've got to be nominally pulling in the same direction.

That's exactly the issue Bill.  My boss blatantly doesn't give a fuck and goes out of his way to avoid and ignore everything possible, and when you have some sort of interaction he's passive agressive and defensive.  I've tried to be transparent and open and he said he was going to do the same but that cleary doesn't happen.  That's when all respect is lost and only a big 'fuck you' is left to be said.  No matter what with the things he's done, even if he tried to change, I'm done. 

And same with credit.  If I was worried about credit, I would have been gone 10 years ago, but when all goes well, it's all his doing.  When shit goes wrong, it's my team and my fault.

Offline JayOctavarium

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #349 on: January 08, 2020, 08:23:32 AM »
So

My company had a bunch accounts that are all high end apartments in Marina Del Rey. A couple of the accounts had us making coffee for tenants every morning (prepping a bunch of those big industrial coffee dispensers). This particular site that ive been stuck at consists of 6 of those giant 2 gallon dispensers (5 reg and 1 decaf) and 1 gallon dispensers of hot water for tea. Simple enough. Process takes an hour and a half, as you have to wheel them out and up an elevator 2 at a time.

Coffee is "served" at 7... So I start brewing at 530 ish, and start set up at 630, and usually am done a few minutes before 7.

650 comes along. I have all but 2 coffee dispensers and 1 water dispenser set up. Dude stops me and asks where the decaf is. I tell him it brewing and should be out within 10 minutes.  Apparently that wasn't good enough and he started giving me shit. I explained that I usually try to get Decaf out sooner, but in this case the decaf was the last dispenser I could get to (they are all filled with fresh water every night after cleaning, and I with my wrist issues have to dump each one. Takes time... And I'm not going to play musical dispensers to get to it- obviously I didn't say that to him...)

It's like.... Come on. You're getting free coffee. All you can drink free fresh brewed coffee. Technically you're not even supposed to touch it till 7 AM. Give me a goddamn break..

So I go back down to the little room where we brew the coffee... And decide to fill the last hot water dispenser while the last 2 coffees are brewing. It's just a little tap you turn on and off manually and hold the container underneath while you fill. Well... I completely spaced out while filling (I'm running on like 3 hours of sleep in the last 28+ hours) and move the container. Thus spilling boiling water on my hand and all over my shirt and boots. Luckily I reacted fast enough that I didn't burn myself too badly...

I load it all up and take it up stairs to where the coffee is served. Dude is standing there waiting, and I had to shoo him away as he wasn't even going to let me set it up before he tried to get his coffee. I toss it up, put the drip tray down, mumbled "have a great night" (again... I'm fucking tired) and went back downstairs. Normally I'd make everything look neat and tidy up there... But you know what? Fuck it. And fuck that dude and his decaf. :JayOctavarium:

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"