Author Topic: What pissed you off today?  (Read 124506 times)

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
Re: What pissed you off today?
« Reply #210 on: November 22, 2019, 07:52:54 AM »
:lol

I live for three things: roulettes, Orbert band updates and regular Kade rants about his job (and occasionally about Geoff Tate)

Not sure if that helps, but I'm expected to be at work tomorrow (Saturday) at 7 A.M. :lol Hopefully you have your weekend off, man.

HAHA, nice shout out.  And for the record, me too! (though it needs more photos).

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #211 on: November 22, 2019, 08:38:54 AM »
This was actually yesterday but it still ticked me off.

Was driving to a meeting on a stretch of Highway across the river in Illinois that isn't maintained particularly well....and I noticed the car in front of me swiftly swerve to miss something in the road....leaving me little time to do so myself. I mean, I did see it in time but for whatever reason (probably old age) I didn't deem it as dangerous as I should have I guess and by the time I realized I should try to miss this chunk of whatever....well....I drilled it....dead center.

I have a Chevy Malibu so it doesn't sit too high off the ground. This think ROCKED my car....huge noise and jostled it. I immediately turned my radio down to listen for anything out of the ordinary. Nothing. But, about twenty seconds later my RPM gauge was jumping from 3 to 6....back and forth from high to low....then, I lost power of acceleration....engine was on and making noise but I was not going anywhere.

I had to make my way over two lanes with no power....then thankfully, there was an off ramp that I coasted down. I then opened my insurance App....clicked roadside assistance and waited for the tow truck.

Stepped out of the car and noticed that I might have had a leak somewhere  :lol

Got it to the shop and put it on a lift...and saw this: First a cracked transmission housing.

Then a heavily damaged oil pan with a hole in it

Then I think he said this connection had something to do with a catalytic converter?

All in all the guy told me yesterday that without really digging into yet...judging from the visible damage he'd guess I'm at $5-6k worth of damage. He then was asking how many miles I had on the car....how old...etc etc  He was just saying that he's guessing the insurance company will just total it. I'll have to wait and see what the adjuster says.

So....I'm more ticked off at myself than anything for being an idiot and not reacting faster.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #212 on: November 22, 2019, 08:42:40 AM »
Well, you know what they say, go big or go home... but holy shit dude!
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #213 on: November 22, 2019, 08:48:23 AM »

I don't always have car issues.....but when I do I make sure to tear the entire undercarriage apart    :lol

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #214 on: November 22, 2019, 08:52:43 AM »
:lol

I live for three things: roulettes, Orbert band updates and regular Kade rants about his job (and occasionally about Geoff Tate)

Not sure if that helps, but I'm expected to be at work tomorrow (Saturday) at 7 A.M. :lol Hopefully you have your weekend off, man.

HAHA, nice shout out.  And for the record, me too! (though it needs more photos).

Of the singers. Not necessarily of Orbert.  ;D
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline vtgrad

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #215 on: November 22, 2019, 09:00:18 AM »

I don't always have car issues.....but when I do I make sure to tear the entire undercarriage apart    :lol

Wow...

In the transmission photo... is that dark area (in the center of the light beam) that looks like a sock-puppet a shadow or is that the actual crack?  What the hell was it that you hit?
"Let us hear the conclusion of the whole matter; Fear God, and keep his commandments: for this is the whole duty of man."  Ecclesiastes 12:13

Now with Twitler taking a high end steak of this caliber and insulting the cow that died for it by having it well done just shows zero respect for the product, which falls right in line with the amount of respect he shows for pretty much everything else.- Lonestar

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #216 on: November 22, 2019, 09:51:51 AM »

At least you are joking about it, damn that sucks and Id be so mad at myself too, but I've totally done similar (where you misjudge what you are about to run over).

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #217 on: November 22, 2019, 10:04:43 AM »

Wow...

In the transmission photo... is that dark area (in the center of the light beam) that looks like a sock-puppet a shadow or is that the actual crack?  What the hell was it that you hit?

That’s the crack! I know. It’s huge. Honestly the thing I hit did not look all that threatening. It wasn’t a ‘big’ piece of debris. But it must have been steel or something.

Offline Northern Lion

• Defender of Liberty
« Reply #218 on: November 22, 2019, 02:54:52 PM »
Holy cow man!  What a story.  Thank goodness for car insurance I guess?

I'm also guessing you missed your meeting?
"You call it facial hair, I call it awesomeness escaping through my face"

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #219 on: November 22, 2019, 03:36:24 PM »
Holy cow man!  What a story.  Thank goodness for car insurance I guess?

I'm also guessing you missed your meeting?

Yeah. I missed the meeting. I called the guy running it and told him the info I had for the group so I still got my job done I guess.

Worse case I’m out my deductible of $500. But, my boss told me today that since I was technically working he thinks that he can get the company to reimburse me that cost as well.

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #220 on: November 22, 2019, 04:45:17 PM »
Worthless employees are the bane of my work existence right now.  Dude at this account I am working at (Not running- just working as a working bee here) has a history of calling out, using bullshit excuses (family dying, etc), and has been caught lying at least once. Well he contacted me to ask if I'd swap shifts with him this weekend so he could go to a concert tonight. I told him I couldn't, as It would have me getting off at 11pm and coming back in at 7am. It's a 1.5-2 hour drive each way. No way am I going to do that.

I let the person who handles the scheduling know, just in case he tried to use a BS excuse again.

And now it looks like they are appeasing him and giving him the day off. Causing overtime. Which I have been lectured about by this chick time and time again that if someone's shift can't be filled w out OT, they're SOL.

Fun shit. I can't wait to be out of this shithole and actually doing what I am supposed to be doing and not just used as a glorified filler.

This was actually yesterday but it still ticked me off.
*SNIP*

What year Malibu?
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #221 on: November 22, 2019, 06:48:06 PM »
2015 Malibu.

Offline PetFish

« Reply #222 on: November 22, 2019, 07:50:56 PM »
2015 Malibu.

Did you ever go back and find out what hellspawn caused this insane damage?

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #223 on: November 22, 2019, 08:33:09 PM »
2015 Malibu.

Did you ever go back and find out what hellspawn caused this insane damage?

No. But I’ll have to drive the same route Sunday as my youngest has a hockey game near where it happened. Maybe it’ll be there still. Maybe not.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #224 on: November 22, 2019, 09:15:03 PM »
Seasonal work with a 95% casual  staff roster is brutal.  No wonder the hairs are falling out of my head by the hour.

Well that right there explains it. You couldn't pay me enough to do your job.

Oh I know mate.  I put these frustrations across all the time to the higher powers but nothing changes.  Mainly cause I work my guts out for 80 hour weeks and keep shit moving.  I get paid well but the better off you get financially, the harder it gets.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #225 on: November 22, 2019, 09:17:20 PM »
Some cunt called in sick again today.  This current roster is this assholes last.

Offline JayOctavarium

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #226 on: November 22, 2019, 09:47:08 PM »
Some cunt called in sick again today.  This current roster is this assholes last.

:corn
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #227 on: November 23, 2019, 09:24:52 AM »
Seasonal work with a 95% casual  staff roster is brutal.  No wonder the hairs are falling out of my head by the hour.

Oh I know mate.  I put these frustrations across all the time to the higher powers but nothing changes.  Mainly cause I work my guts out for 80 hour weeks and keep shit moving.  I get paid well but the better off you get financially, the harder it gets.

I feel the same way about my job at times, I have to go above and beyond to get things done and since they do get done, management doesn't see the need to add more people.... as I continue to break my back.  I feel it man, as I get better off financially I don't want to keep breaking my back.  Sadly, I'm really not sure the grass is any greener somewhere else, I've got some great perks that I don't want to lose so I will just keep breaking my back.

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #228 on: November 23, 2019, 09:34:52 AM »
One thing I've learned is typically the more money, the more stress from the Job. There was a recent structural change at my job, lots of people were let go and the ones that were left were promoted. My old boss got a promotion with a massive pay increase and someone who I know from another department got a promotion and is now my new boss.

These two guys have had massive salary increases, like $50k+ more a year but the amount they work now is insane.

What I'm getting it as they have proven that they can take on a lot of work so the expectation is they will continue to provide that level or work. I'm in the same boat, I was recently promoted to this new position I had been trying for but I'm starting to think if it was the smart thing to do. I'm doing 80% of what I used to plus a whole new set of responsibilities. The perks are great, I get paid more than I ever thought I'd make and I can afford things I've always wanted like a new gaming PC, new guitar, vacations etc. I can't enjoy any of it. I get home, eat whatever takes the least amount of time to make, play with the dogs then sit at my new gaming rig hitting F5 on DTF because I cannot put any mental effort into even playing a video game.

Sorry this post kind of flew off the rails there :lol

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #229 on: November 23, 2019, 09:57:20 AM »
Yea, no doubt about that.  I'm all about finding the happy medium.  I don't need to be rich, but I want to be comfortable and I also don't want to be so worked that I can't enjoy what I'm working for.  Sometimes I feel like I found that sweet spot and others like this week make me rethink wtf am I doing  :lol

Offline JayOctavarium

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #230 on: November 23, 2019, 04:11:52 PM »
One thing I've learned is typically the more money, the more stress from the Job. There was a recent structural change at my job, lots of people were let go and the ones that were left were promoted. My old boss got a promotion with a massive pay increase and someone who I know from another department got a promotion and is now my new boss.

These two guys have had massive salary increases, like $50k+ more a year but the amount they work now is insane.

What I'm getting it as they have proven that they can take on a lot of work so the expectation is they will continue to provide that level or work. I'm in the same boat, I was recently promoted to this new position I had been trying for but I'm starting to think if it was the smart thing to do. I'm doing 80% of what I used to plus a whole new set of responsibilities. The perks are great, I get paid more than I ever thought I'd make and I can afford things I've always wanted like a new gaming PC, new guitar, vacations etc. I can't enjoy any of it. I get home, eat whatever takes the least amount of time to make, play with the dogs then sit at my new gaming rig hitting F5 on DTF because I cannot put any mental effort into even playing a video game.

I get this. We recently picked up an Xbox One (finally), and Pokemon SW/SH just came out... Have had the Xbox 2 weeks now and literally played 2 rounds of PUBG, and I have gotten maybe 4 hours in on Pokemon. I'm always just too busy, or too tired to enjoy these newfound "toys" lol

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #231 on: November 24, 2019, 05:28:30 AM »

I feel the same way about my job at times, I have to go above and beyond to get things done and since they do get done, management doesn't see the need to add more people.... as I continue to break my back.  I feel it man, as I get better off financially I don't want to keep breaking my back.  Sadly, I'm really not sure the grass is any greener somewhere else, I've got some great perks that I don't want to lose so I will just keep breaking my back.

Fuck man, this is me word for word, it's amazing.  I came to the realisation a few months ago that I've made a rod for my own back.  The current workload I have is my own fault because I've done it for 10 fucking years.  I'm the idiot, not them.  As you say though mate, the security and perks make it hard to jump off the cliff though.  But how can we do what we do forever, that's the question.  How much money will I have before I say enough is enough.  I fear that will never come though no matter how well off I am.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #232 on: November 24, 2019, 05:33:21 AM »

I debate the more responsibility the more money.  I guess it depends where you are.  Typically yes but my boss gets paid double what I do and I have double rhe responsibility.  It is what it is and as I said it's my own fault for not speaking up or complaining for 10 years.

I hear you though mate.  I can afford whatever I want but too but the hours I do, can't even find time to spend money.  Lucky to be able to get a week off once a year too.  Even then it's hard to fully be away.  My work is my life.  I know no other way.  80 hour weeks are nothing anymore.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #233 on: November 24, 2019, 09:01:38 AM »
I'm loathe to criticize you or your position, as I clearly don't know anything about it.  But I know in my experience, it's largely a true-ism.  There are always exceptions, of course, but not all "responsibilities" are equal.  I don't hold "informational" responsibilities the same as "personnel" responsibilities, for example.  As much as I'd love to say it is so, none of the decisions I make on a daily basis, and none of the tasks I do on a daily basis (that is, none of the information I pass on to others in the organization) can in the space of eight hours wipe out 10,000 jobs.    ONE PRESS RELEASE from Elon Musk can do that.  It's an unpopular position to take, because the exceptions are so widely publicized, and there are so many prominent people in the news (i.e. politicians) whose agenda runs counter to that premise, but CEOs - actually, C-suite employees - are not interchangeable with middle- and lower management from the standpoint of "responsibility".  That's not at all to say that the rest of the organization is useless or expendable, or that there aren't exceptions on every level, but the actual day-to-day of the job is something that doesn't get talked about much these days. 

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #234 on: November 24, 2019, 09:39:33 AM »
It's funny, you know. I have people like Kade at my workplace. Clocking in 80+ hours a week, thinking everyone is an asshole, leaving work at 11 P.M. and all. We have good relationship because I'm never the one to shy away from responsibility and I'm usually a guy who can work weekends for some task that would otherwise be unsolved and we'll be screwed.

So I'm there whenever they need me, but I'm still usually doing only 40 hours a week and only occasionally I agree to do overtime. I refused a few times and people stopped pestering me to do it. I kinda feel if I agreed every time, I would've been receiving way more money, and would've been promoted probably, but honestly I'm fine with my ~40 hours a week (considering that my commute takes away 3 hours from each day). I get enough money to get by and even travel a couple times a year. And if there's something that requires our immediate attention, I'm there if you need me. Also if you notify me in advance. No, I won't be able to work this Saturday if you approach me on Friday, because you know, I have already made some plans with friends and no, I won't cancel them, my friends are also people who are relying on me. If you approach me on Tuesday though and it's critical? Sure, I will be there.

Screw the people not showing up though. We had a couple of students at our place who were only working like Tuesdays and Fridays and they skipped half of these with no notice. They're fired now but fuck was I irritated.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #235 on: November 24, 2019, 09:44:33 AM »

Screw the people not showing up though. We had a couple of students at our place who were only working like Tuesdays and Fridays and they skipped half of these with no notice. They're fired now but fuck was I irritated.

We have some issues with that at my place as well. Students showing up or leaving whenever they want. Or lying to call out. They seem oblivious about this behavior as well. Unfortunately, my manager is a spineless airhead and none of them will every be fired.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #236 on: November 24, 2019, 06:14:39 PM »
I'm loathe to criticize you or your position, as I clearly don't know anything about it.  But I know in my experience, it's largely a true-ism.  There are always exceptions, of course, but not all "responsibilities" are equal.  I don't hold "informational" responsibilities the same as "personnel" responsibilities, for example.  As much as I'd love to say it is so, none of the decisions I make on a daily basis, and none of the tasks I do on a daily basis (that is, none of the information I pass on to others in the organization) can in the space of eight hours wipe out 10,000 jobs.    ONE PRESS RELEASE from Elon Musk can do that.  It's an unpopular position to take, because the exceptions are so widely publicized, and there are so many prominent people in the news (i.e. politicians) whose agenda runs counter to that premise, but CEOs - actually, C-suite employees - are not interchangeable with middle- and lower management from the standpoint of "responsibility".  That's not at all to say that the rest of the organization is useless or expendable, or that there aren't exceptions on every level, but the actual day-to-day of the job is something that doesn't get talked about much these days.

I'm in that middle type of management that has more of a day to day responsibility.  Every organisation is different but do agree with what you say on a whole.  I'm not one to get offended.  I agree my level is somewhat forgotten about.  The people above me rely on me more than I rely on them.  Saying that my viewpoint is pretty jaded lol.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #237 on: November 24, 2019, 06:18:35 PM »

We have some issues with that at my place as well. Students showing up or leaving whenever they want. Or lying to call out. They seem oblivious about this behavior as well. Unfortunately, my manager is a spineless airhead and none of them will every be fired.

I don't understand the managers that are so week they find it hard to fire people.  I guess the world we live in people have more rights than ever and it's getting harder to let people go, but paying people for bullshit productivity and unreliability is a joke.

Offline Northern Lion

• Defender of Liberty
« Reply #238 on: November 25, 2019, 10:00:18 AM »

I don't understand the managers that are so week they find it hard to fire people.  I guess the world we live in people have more rights than ever and it's getting harder to let people go, but paying people for bullshit productivity and unreliability is a joke.

Where I work, it's almost impossible for the managers to fire people.  Too much government regulation.  I worked as a manager for a little while and if I didn't take meticulous records of behavior to build a case and crossed every t and dotted every i, then the union would have me for lunch when I gave out any disciplinary action.  The worst I could do to an employee is have them demoted or moved to another area.  But firing? Forget it.

In all my time there, I have only seen one person get fired and it took YEARS of meticulous records by multiple managers.
"You call it facial hair, I call it awesomeness escaping through my face"

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #239 on: November 25, 2019, 10:18:01 AM »

Local laws can get in the way with this.  My dutch coworker was absolutely terrible.  Worked the bare minimum and always did things wrong.  Caused outages as well.  Couldn't properly communicate things (not a language barrier, he was actually British, and the Dutch speak good English anyway but this is because he didn't know what he was doing) and consistently wasn't there when we needed him.  And yet, we couldn't fire him.  My boss basically pressured him to look for another job with constant poor reviews and he finally did after HR got involved to give him "notice" and he had a full year under that notice to show performance results.  What a joke.  Guy should have gotten canned a long time ago and if he was in the US, he would have as we have given the boot to better workers than him.  I definitely think he mooched off the company, but what can you do when laws hold you back?

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #240 on: November 25, 2019, 11:44:03 AM »
I'm in local government too so I understand.  I guess since I work with a lot of casuals it's a bit different.  Even casiluals get rights over here after 12 months and/or they have had steady hours for a period of time.

I did see one manager get witch hunted and almost got fired and had substantiated complaints.  They were bullshit complaints and they even had witnesses to disprove but they kept substantiating them.  They had to pay thousands of dollard in legal representation to keep their job.

My comment was more along the lines of how some managers are too scared and weak to talk to underperforming staff so they just walk all over them.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #241 on: November 25, 2019, 02:51:39 PM »
Wasn't today, but over the weekend: me and my two best friends were moving furniture all weekend (one of 'em bought a nice house and we were moving stuff from the old place into the new). But his wife, who me and the other friend already just can't stand because she suuuucks, was making things worse trying to commandeer the operation and chastising two of us for taking a breather after moving a 400 pound armoire for her fat ass. On the plus side, she said something like, "Well, I have a human growing inside me" in that nagging voice pregnant women do to absolve themselves of any faults, and without missing a beat, my other friend, he blurts out, "Yeah well I have a lot more than one inside me but you don't see me complaining!"  :rollin
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline Max Kuehnau

• Emotionless Brainiac
  • Doomed to be a man this world forgot
« Reply #242 on: November 25, 2019, 03:23:15 PM »
Wasn't today, but over the weekend: me and my two best friends were moving furniture all weekend (one of 'em bought a nice house and we were moving stuff from the old place into the new). But his wife, who me and the other friend already just can't stand because she suuuucks, was making things worse trying to commandeer the operation and chastising two of us for taking a breather after moving a 400 pound armoire for her fat ass. On the plus side, she said something like, "Well, I have a human growing inside me" in that nagging voice pregnant women do to absolve themselves of any faults, and without missing a beat, my other friend, he blurts out, "Yeah well I have a lot more than one inside me but you don't see me complaining!"  :rollin
I literally imagined John Cleese saying that just now. Thanks for the entertainment.
"All my natural instincts are begging me to stop
But somehow I carry on, heading for the top
A physical absurdity, a tremendous mental game
Helping me understand exactly who I am"

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #243 on: November 25, 2019, 03:35:25 PM »
That is annoying, you'd think some dudes helping out a pregnant chick they aren't fans of would be more welcomed and thanked than that.  Hopefully your friend whos married to her expressed more thankfulness on behalf of her.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #244 on: November 25, 2019, 03:50:03 PM »
At least you could move it and didn't have to guard it on the street overnight.