Author Topic: What pissed you off today?  (Read 119369 times)

Offline Skeever

Re: What pissed you off today?
« Reply #1960 on: May 22, 2023, 11:03:59 AM »
Thanks all, and yes you're all right, including those who reached out via PM. I really appreciate the support and I'll say first and foremost my son is doing very well, and is very happy aside from having to do everything with one hand for a little while while his blisters heal. We've got a follow-up with his pediatrician tomorrow. I left his status out of the original post because I saw it as more a message in the bottle to cast off my own angry feelings.

Had a good talk with the wife a little bit ago over our lunch breaks, and we're working on it. I am definitely aware of what everyone has said thus far, and we both just need some time to get passed what was a pretty horrifying event for all of us, made worse by how we both reacted to it. Unfortunately I think sometimes we wait until these big moments to address the little issues and discussions that should have being had all along, and if there's one thing my wife and I are both taking away from this, it's that we need to make more time to talk one on one, rather than just immediately retreating to our own little worlds for a bit once our son goes to bed.

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #1961 on: May 22, 2023, 09:22:17 PM »
Woke up sick. I have 10 hours today in a studio to record 5 songs on drums. This isn’t going to go well.

Dayum.  Sorry to hear that, Adami.  Hope you can bang you're way through it - literally and figuratively.

Knocked out the album feeling like crap. Not sure how. Came home and tested positive for Covid. Huzzah!
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #1962 on: May 23, 2023, 04:22:13 AM »
Ugh. Get some rest you. Hope you get better soon.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1963 on: May 23, 2023, 05:11:40 AM »
That Scenes from a Hat is hung up again by forgetful, inconsiderate, holier than thou, lazy, little shits. If y'all can't be bothered, don't fucking play. It's pretty simple.
"Religion poisons everything” — Christopher Hitchens

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1964 on: May 23, 2023, 05:31:53 AM »
Oops. I'm all of that. Lol. Picking now.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #1965 on: May 23, 2023, 06:10:38 AM »
Woke up sick. I have 10 hours today in a studio to record 5 songs on drums. This isn’t going to go well.

Dayum.  Sorry to hear that, Adami.  Hope you can bang you're way through it - literally and figuratively.

Knocked out the album feeling like crap. Not sure how. Came home and tested positive for Covid. Huzzah!
Glad you got it knocked out.  Get some rest!
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #1966 on: May 23, 2023, 07:54:39 AM »

Hope you're better soon. I wish that on no one, least of all a friend.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1967 on: May 23, 2023, 08:22:10 AM »
That sucks Adami, get well soon

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1968 on: June 27, 2023, 05:28:17 PM »
Been at work for 12  hours. Working late today because of some work I need to supervise but it was supposed to start at 6 and the contractor just now finally answered my call saying he's 20 mins away  :tdwn

Good thing is a I get to leave early tomorrow, so I'll have extra time before the DT show
Vmadera has evolved into Lonk

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #1969 on: July 05, 2023, 06:01:57 AM »
Renovations are coming to an end.  Our contractor is 98% done his shit - just a couple of small things to resolve, and mrs.jingle and I are working through a lot of other things to get the house back in working order (painting, some new barn doors; putting everything back where it belongs etc ...).  We hadn't been running our AC until we got the ducts cleaned, not wanting to re-circulate all the dust in the ducts.  So, that got done last week.  Turn the AC on, and it doesn't seem to be pumping much cold air.  Scheduled a service call yesterday, and yup... she's frozen shut.  The unit is original to the house (2004), so it's seen the end of it's life - it's also a model/type of AC that's been decommissioned since 2005, and completely out of manufacture since 2020.  Buddy check on the furnace too while he's at it - yup, that fucker is also original to the house, and bound to crap out at any time (it's also one of the lower end brands, apparently).

So, tack on a few grand more to the renovation tab.   :metal
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Glasser

« Reply #1970 on: July 05, 2023, 10:50:05 AM »
Renovations are coming to an end.  Our contractor is 98% done his shit - just a couple of small things to resolve, and mrs.jingle and I are working through a lot of other things to get the house back in working order (painting, some new barn doors; putting everything back where it belongs etc ...).  We hadn't been running our AC until we got the ducts cleaned, not wanting to re-circulate all the dust in the ducts.  So, that got done last week.  Turn the AC on, and it doesn't seem to be pumping much cold air.  Scheduled a service call yesterday, and yup... she's frozen shut.  The unit is original to the house (2004), so it's seen the end of it's life - it's also a model/type of AC that's been decommissioned since 2005, and completely out of manufacture since 2020.  Buddy check on the furnace too while he's at it - yup, that fucker is also original to the house, and bound to crap out at any time (it's also one of the lower end brands, apparently).

That totally blows. Sounds like The Money Pit with Tom Hanks. When it rains it pours.

Online gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #1971 on: July 05, 2023, 11:21:09 AM »

Ooof. Nothing like a good kick in the nuts on the way out the door.....

We are pretty much waiting our turn on replacing the AC/HVAC as well. We built in 2014....but there have been five neighbors (that we know of) who's systems have had to be replaced in the last few months. Turns out the builder of this subdivision was just an utter cheapskate and of course went with low end equipment. We've all learned a lot about him after the fact...but...it is what it is. So, we're just more or less waiting our turn...but we have a bit of heads up I suppose so have begun to budget/plan for it.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #1972 on: July 05, 2023, 11:37:16 AM »
As a person who unexpectedly dropped $15k on new furnace and AC earlier this year, I feel your pain.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1973 on: July 05, 2023, 04:59:38 PM »
Price tag is just under $12k. The good news is they’re getting installed tomorrow.
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1974 on: July 05, 2023, 05:08:40 PM »

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1975 on: July 05, 2023, 08:01:32 PM »
I’ve got bills coming out the wazoo!

Offline DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1976 on: July 05, 2023, 08:15:11 PM »
^
Not a pretty sight in many regards…..
...going along with Dragon Attack's Queen thread has been like taking a free class in Queen knowledge. Where else are you gonna find info like that?!

Online ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #1977 on: July 06, 2023, 11:54:15 AM »
Bill, 100% on.  AAA plus has saved me many times.

Indeed. My mom made sure I had AAA when I started driving and I've had it ever since. Love it.

Revisiting this and I am now a AAA Plus member. Got a deal in the mail and signed my wife and I up.
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Offline Harmony

« Reply #1978 on: July 10, 2023, 03:34:55 PM »
So I'm calmer now and this may be in the wrong thread...like maybe I'm just annoyed and no longer pissed but WTH.

2 days ago, our next door neighbors launched their fire pit.  The fire pit is literally 10 feet in from our shared fence.  And inside that part of the shared fence is about 20 feet from our bedroom.  So I'm out watering the deck when I notice plumes of smoke billowing from their new fire pit.  This was around 8 pm.  I'm literally gagging on the smoke and coughing it is that bad.  I grumble to myself but do not say anything.  When it comes time to hit the bed, around midnight, I open the windows like always to let the fresh air in.  Only now the fresh air feels like the 2nd hand smoke of about 300 packs of cigarettes.  My neighbor and his wife are out there, sitting around the campfire.  I close the window and turn on a box fan.

Fast forward to last night.  I've left the windows open as the temps were not horrible and by the time I've noticed they've lit the pit again, the inside of my house smells like a campfire.  What is worse, the neighbor's 18 year old daughter is having a party with about a half dozen girlfriends around the fire pit doing what teenage girls do.  I close up the windows and try to ignore it until bedtime.  They are still going strong at 11 pm.  It is a Sunday night.  I now have the beginnings of a migraine from the smoke.

They are loud but they could be louder.  I'm biting my tongue.  I don't want to be a Karen.  It is summertime but fuck, I need to work today.  I turn on the fans (plural) to high and hope to get to sleep.  I finally drift off around 1 am when I am awakened by the girls whooping and hollering literally right outside my bedroom.  I get up, I get dressed, I go out onto the deck and turn on the lights and say, "Hey neighbor!  I appreciate you all are having fun but it is after 1 am and some of us have to work tomorrow.  Could you move your party to a different spot so I can get some sleep?"  Sure, they say.  About a half hour later the fire pit is out and they are inside.  I open my window and finally get a few hours of sleep.

I wake up this morning with a full blown migraine, a sore throat, and burning eyes.  I call in sick because the medicine I need to take for my migraine is not going to work with driving.

I hate confrontation and like I said, I don't want to be a Karen.  I checked our city noise ordinance law and it says quiet time is from 10 pm to 7 am.  I walk over to the neighbor's house and speak to the young woman's mom.  I'm mostly focused on the smoke.  She seemed prepared to apologize more for the noise issue.  I let her know that I thought all in all the girls did a pretty decent job keeping the noise down but that the noise combined with 48 hours worth of fire pit smoke is making me physically ill.  We talked through it.  They cannot move the fire pit location as they had some device sunk into the ground there and then put a slab of concrete on top where the pit sits.  They even took out a tree last year to get ready for the pit (I knew about the tree but I didn't know of their plans for the pit).  I let her know that I understood that they are entitled to enjoy their back yard but also let her know that the smoke is really affecting my health and our ability to open our windows in our bedroom.  She said it would not be a nightly thing and TBH as fire danger season continues to ramp up, the fire pits will likely be banned soon anyway.  She invited me to text her if things got bad.

I feel like we both did well talking and listening to each other, so I guess I can't ask for more than that.  But damn you guys....with all that we know about the danger of inhalation of smoke and particulate matter I just cannot fathom subjecting my neighbors and my own children to that kind of smoke.  I read online that 1 hour of burning in a campfire is equivalent to inhaling 30 cigarettes.   :tdwn

Just another member of Gaia's intramural baseball squad

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1979 on: July 10, 2023, 04:29:50 PM »
As someone who gets some burns in on the fire pit... I don't do it that late and my pit is dead center of the yard (it's nothing fancy, I can move it), but I have no doubt that the smoke has likely gone into other's homes nearby.  No one has said anything.  I think the key is to not be excessive with it and keep it during day and early evening hours.

Sounds like you handled it fine other than maybe waiting a bit too long and suffering because of it, but I get it, you don't want to be "that" person, but it sounds like you were well within your rights to say something without being Karen.

Offline Harmony

« Reply #1980 on: July 10, 2023, 04:36:46 PM »
Thanks cram.  I was actually surprised at how hard it was for me to muster my courage to go over there and have the discussion.  You never know these days how things are going to go down.  I told her I didn't want to do anything to harm our neighborly good will and that seemed to help keep things going in a positive direction.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1981 on: July 10, 2023, 09:15:17 PM »
Harmony, I am awful at confrontations, and I am using that term very loosely to describe any conversation with a stranger at could go sideways. I am glad it went reasonably well for you.

When I was the board president of our HOA I tried to meet every homeowner or renter, just to introduce myself and let them know I was available should they have any questions or concerns. Happily there were so few issues I only had one unpleasant conversation with a homeowner in the span of 3 years. But I always dreaded the possibility.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #1982 on: July 11, 2023, 06:43:23 AM »
That's actually pretty impressive how you handled that.  I'm not sure I could have done that. 

Online ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #1983 on: July 11, 2023, 10:41:27 AM »
That's actually pretty impressive how you handled that.  I'm not sure I could have done that.

Would you say you would be 'TERRIFIED!'?  :biggrin:

I'm very anti-social for reasons I can't really understand. I don't know any of my neighbors. I was sitting on my couch last night and saw this huge tower of flames out my sliding door. Neighbors behind me started up a fire pit and muct have soaked it in lighter fluid or something. I though they were going to set their tree on fire. The flames were past their second floor windows.
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Offline Harmony

« Reply #1984 on: August 14, 2023, 03:58:21 PM »
Fucking pantry moths.  Just when you think you've finally gotten rid of them.   :censored

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1985 on: August 14, 2023, 04:23:08 PM »
On that theme, a fly getting in my truck today. You open every window and that little sucker won't leave.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1986 on: August 20, 2023, 07:11:33 AM »
So..I'm on vacation and we went out for dinner the other night. When the waitress came, I asked for a beer list. She pointed to a card on the table and said if I scam the square code thingy, I could access the list.
I was like, well, I want to be able to see the whole list, and again, she says that I'll see the whole list if I scan the thing. So I finally say, you don't have an actual printed beer list that I can hold and look at??
She says sure, let me get that for you..

What in the fucking fuck? I don't fucking scan any codes on my phone. That's fucked! Why the hell can't I just hold the beer menu with my hands so I can see it all clearly. Why would I want to squint my eyes to view it on my phone, having to try and enlarge the smaller print, viewing only a couple of choices at a time on a beer menu that had easily over 50 choices?

Fuck you and your codes!
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #1987 on: August 20, 2023, 07:14:26 AM »
*sigh*
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1988 on: August 20, 2023, 07:17:56 AM »
How to post "I'm old and crotchety as fuck" without saying "I'm old and crotchety as fuck".   :lol

You might as well post "what's with key fobs to start your car!?!?  I like to get my daily exercise by hand-cranking my engine".
"What's with tapping you're credit / debit card?  Those hand crank sliders with three copies for the receipt make way more sense!"

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1989 on: August 20, 2023, 07:25:35 AM »

You might as well post "what's with key fobs to start your car!?!?  I like to get my daily exercise by hand-cranking my engine".

That's funny. We've actually kind of talked about this, even on this trip. I drive a 2007 Kia Sedona with 310k miles on it. When we go on vacation, we are always in the new fangled cars that I have no clue WTF to do once I sit down.

I actually take issue with the big screens in newer cars. To change the channel, you have to find the spot on the screen to touch. How on earth is this a good idea. Back in my day lol I could reach down and feel the preset buttons without taking my eyes off the road.

Still, why would I have to squint my eyes onto a small screen when I can hold the list and take it all in at once?
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #1990 on: August 20, 2023, 07:26:06 AM »
So..I'm on vacation and we went out for dinner the other night. When the waitress came, I asked for a beer list. She pointed to a card on the table and said if I scam the square code thingy, I could access the list.
I was like, well, I want to be able to see the whole list, and again, she says that I'll see the whole list if I scan the thing. So I finally say, you don't have an actual printed beer list that I can hold and look at??
She says sure, let me get that for you..

What in the fucking fuck? I don't fucking scan any codes on my phone. That's fucked! Why the hell can't I just hold the beer menu with my hands so I can see it all clearly. Why would I want to squint my eyes to view it on my phone, having to try and enlarge the smaller print, viewing only a couple of choices at a time on a beer menu that had easily over 50 choices?

Fuck you and your codes!

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #1991 on: August 20, 2023, 07:27:06 AM »
On that theme, a fly getting in my truck today. You open every window and that little sucker won't leave.

And I will also add on: somehow there was a fly in my classroom on Friday. Teaching middle school kids math while a fly buzzes around is just wonderful and not at all distracting.

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1992 on: August 20, 2023, 07:27:42 AM »
No, I'm 30 and for once I agree with Tim. If I'm in a restaurant, give me a printed menu over a QR-code scan anytime. It's part of the experience for me. In fact I usually check the restaurant reviews before going and if they don't have a printed menu at all, I would choose another restaurant.

I also buy printed books instead of e-books so there's that.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #1993 on: August 20, 2023, 07:32:51 AM »
For sure. I just wanted to reply with that pic. I also would not want to have to scan to read a menu. I haven't eaten out in years but that just sounds like it defeats the purpose of eating out. I don't want to be on my phone while I am there.

Offline Metro

• DTF Resident Sloth
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • The Sloth Rules
« Reply #1994 on: August 20, 2023, 07:33:46 AM »
I gotta agree with TAC on the menu scanning bs.
Even more annoying is when they make you scan a code to see the regular menu and you place your order on your phone.
Even MORE annoying is when said restaurant has shit cell service and no public wifi, so the menu won’t even load.