Author Topic: What pissed you off today?  (Read 122371 times)

El Barto, WilliamMunny, King Postwhore and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: What pissed you off today?
« Reply #140 on: September 30, 2019, 07:12:37 PM »
It's troubling to me, though, because as a commercial attorney, it's my JOB to at least understand what the other side is thinking/doing, in order to find a set where we overlap and can come to agreement.   It's not a pleasant feeling to sense you've lost that skillset.

I don't think you would have lost that skillset, the world and the people in it are just becoming more selfish, stupid, slow witted and ignorant.  I truly feel our race is going backwards at the speed of light.  I can't imagine where the human race will be in 100-200 years.

The key word is "speed of light"; I think things move too fast now to really let the details sink in. I'm speaking mostly of America, but we have gotten really good at the BIG GESTURES - the crowdsourcing, the "[insert whoever] Strong" movements, etc. - but we're getting to be shit at the little day-to-day gestures.  I say this philosophically, not actually, but a part of me wonders if we don't sort of need a giant reset.  Be it climate change, a national/geographical reshuffling, or something similar.  Make us rely on ourselves, our intuition and our ability to relate rather than technology, arbitrary algorithms, and polling data.

That won't help me any, personally, but it may answer your concerns.

I've actually kinda thought this for a while.  We as a human race need something to make us strip back and get back to basics IMO.  Technology and social media IMO is getting out of control and is ruling peoples lives.  We've lost touch and I feel it alienates peoples identities in a way.  I feel we are becoming a pack of zombies in this day an age. 
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline 1upmushroom

« Reply #141 on: September 30, 2019, 09:24:10 PM »
Technology and social media IMO is getting out of control and is ruling peoples lives.

Because people are letting tech replace their brains. Forget advanced skills like decision making and critical thinking - it's destroying their ability to perform even the most fundamental tasks.  I've seen too many people who can't do basic math without a calculator or read a paper map when their GPS is down. Predictably, they don't see it as cause and effect, they just roll with it like helplessness is normal. Good luck surviving any kind of giant reset with that skillset.

« Last Edit: September 30, 2019, 09:32:11 PM by 1upmushroom »

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #142 on: October 01, 2019, 06:13:10 AM »
Technology and social media IMO is getting out of control and is ruling peoples lives.

Because people are letting tech replace their brains. Forget advanced skills like decision making and critical thinking - it's destroying their ability to perform even the most fundamental tasks.  I've seen too many people who can't do basic math without a calculator or read a paper map when their GPS is down. Predictably, they don't see it as cause and effect, they just roll with it like helplessness is normal. Good luck surviving any kind of giant reset with that skillset.

Agree 100%.  Watching kids these days try and use cash or read a clock is hilarious.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #143 on: October 01, 2019, 06:16:22 AM »
Or remember a phone number.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline ZirconBlue

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #144 on: October 04, 2019, 01:58:16 PM »
And why won't these kids stay off my lawn?!

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #145 on: October 23, 2019, 01:20:11 PM »
My doctors office.

I make an appointment for my yearly physical a few weeks ago and since then I've been getting non stop emails and text messages to confirm my appointment. I even got a call and text to make sure I was coming in at noon. I get there 10 minutes before and while I'm waiting after checking in I'm told the doctor is running 45 minutes behind. You mean to tell me all the time you spent to confirm I was coming you never thought to contact me to let me she was late?

Additionally they now gave me a sheet of paper at my check in of topics i was allowed to discuss with my doctor and if I asked or talked about anything separately I'd be billed for it. What the fuck.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #146 on: October 23, 2019, 03:01:12 PM »
Additionally they now gave me a sheet of paper at my check in of topics i was allowed to discuss with my doctor and if I asked or talked about anything separately I'd be billed for it. What the fuck.

That is fucked.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline 1upmushroom

« Reply #147 on: October 23, 2019, 08:39:15 PM »
You mean to tell me all the time you spent to confirm I was coming you never thought to contact me to let me she was late?

It's quite possible the email / text reminders / calls were sent automatically by a bot - once you make the appointment, no humans are involved except for a single action of triggering the auto-notifications once to run until your appointment date. As annoying as it is, I'm not surprised that they didn't let you know in advance, because that would mean an actual staff member would have to take that action.

And yes, billable time rule is fun. If this was a routine maintenance GP visit, it's classified differently for insurance purposes than a "specialty" issue. Your list of topics was most likely based on "general" vs "specialty" codes. It's nonsensical from the consumer POV, but very profitable.

Offline soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #148 on: October 24, 2019, 07:52:59 AM »
Brexit.   

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #149 on: October 30, 2019, 11:26:12 AM »
I've had it with these videos of kids doing things like the one I saw today.....a$$hole at DICKS sporting goods pulls a kayak down....gets in it and slides down the escalator into a clothing rack. In these 'viral' vids the articles refer to them as 'pranksters'. There's the ones of kids throwing milk gallons in stores and slipping....or knocking over displays....whatever it is....it's always some minor destructive stuff....they're laughing their butts off and posting it to social media and it's glorified.

It's nothing but disrespect and if I were they're parents I'd be ashamed. And, you can take this to the bank....if any of my three boys end up doing something like that they won't be able to sit for a week. Because at that point they'd just be flat out ignoring how they're being raised and an a$$ kicking is all they'd deserve.

/rant
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #150 on: October 30, 2019, 11:44:50 AM »
I like funny videos just as much as the next person, but there is a fine line between being funny and being an a-hole. I never understood kids that do that kind of stuff, with no regards that they are screwing someone up or the consequences to their actions.
Vmadera has evolved into Lonk

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #151 on: October 30, 2019, 11:49:14 AM »
Well, certainly the glorification of this stuff by social media isn't helping anyone.  I don't think anyone can claim it's a "cautionary tale".

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #152 on: October 30, 2019, 11:51:44 AM »
You're right, of course.  But I have to admit that, as I was typing this, I got distracted by the thought of riding down an escalator in a kayak and how awesome that would be.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #153 on: October 30, 2019, 11:54:35 AM »
I like funny videos just as much as the next person, but there is a fine line between being funny and being an a-hole. I never understood kids that do that kind of stuff, with no regards that they are screwing someone up or the consequences to their actions.

Same here. There's funny....then there's just being a D-Bag and destroying property and potentially hurting someone. imagine if a small child walked in front of the escalator suddenly? A senior citizen?

Quick search I actually found there are way too many d-bags out there doing crap like this. Must have been 15 vids of people kayaking down escalators. These two were the kings. If that was my son...well....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VA_47mw6GrE

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #154 on: October 30, 2019, 11:55:48 AM »
You're right, of course.  But I have to admit that, as I was typing this, I got distracted by the thought of riding down an escalator in a kayak and how awesome that would be.

true. and I had my fair share of questionable choices as a teenager.....I guess I'm more ticked at how glorified and encouraged it seems like it is these days with the social media aspect.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #155 on: October 30, 2019, 12:19:05 PM »
When someone has been bugging you to do work for them, but you've blown them off a bunch recently because they are really slow and difficult to work with and I don't have time to deal with it, so I finally carve out time to deal with this person and their issues and then 10 other poeple say they have more important things for me to focus on.  >:(  I just wish we hired more competent people so this simple task could go back to being simple and not be a huge waste of my time.

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #156 on: November 13, 2019, 11:38:43 AM »
The fact that we don't euthanize our elders.   

My 86 year old grandmother is in an assisted living facility (Connecticut) and deteriorating rapidly. Her husband died 17 years ago, her dog died 7 years ago, her house and assets were taken by the state 5 years ago to cover her medical costs, and now she's in hospice. She's been in this particular assisted living facility for a little more than 3 years now. She's miserable and is ready to go. She has been for a long time now. She been refusing food for two weeks now, purposefully trying to get her body to quit, and the nurses just keep hooking her up to more bags and prolonging her suffering. She's refusing to get out of bed. She's in huge amounts of pain, and she's just laying there with her eyes shut sobbing and whimpering. She's suffering to no end right now, and I find it infuriating that they're keeping her alive. We'll go to great lengths to make sure our fucking dogs go peacefully and in the best spirits we can, but we'll literally let a human being rot until their heart finally fails. 

It's bullshit. 

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #157 on: November 13, 2019, 11:40:16 AM »

My 86 year old grandmother is in an assisted living facility (Connecticut) and deteriorating rapidly. Her husband died 17 years ago, her dog died 7 years ago, her house and assets were taken by the state 5 years ago to cover her medical costs, and now she's in hospice. She's been in this particular assisted living facility for a little more than 3 years now. She's miserable and is ready to go. She has been for a long time now. She been refusing food for two weeks now, purposefully trying to get her body to quit, and the nurses just keep hooking her up to more bags and prolonging her suffering. She's refusing to get out of bed. She's in huge amounts of pain, and she's just laying there with her eyes shut sobbing and whimpering. She's suffering to no end right now, and I find it infuriating that they're keeping her alive. We'll go to great lengths to make sure our fucking dogs go peacefully and in the best spirits we can, but we'll literally let a human being rot until their heart finally fails. 

It's bullshit.

I can't argue with you.

I definitely don't agree with the "any quality life is automatically better than no life" is not a correct stance, especially if we're leaving it up to the person in question.

Obviously I would say assisted suicide, rather than euthanasia, but yea. I think if a person could choose the time and method of their own death, it could be a beautiful thing for a lot of people.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #158 on: November 13, 2019, 12:10:11 PM »

It's bullshit.

Chino, my heart goes out to you and your grandmother.

If it matters, I'm in full agreement.

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #159 on: November 13, 2019, 12:13:38 PM »
Dang!  No one who's lived a long life should ever have to suffer like that near the end.  That's just wrong.
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #160 on: November 13, 2019, 12:16:13 PM »

It's bullshit.

You took the words right off my fingers Bill.

Sorry your family has to endure such unnecessary pain and suffering, Brian.
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #161 on: November 13, 2019, 12:17:53 PM »
Having seen my grandparents wither away the last few years and finally get their peace almost a year ago, I totally agree.  I just don't understand this.  They are suffering and want to move on at that point and we won't let them.  It's not right IMO.  I've said it before and I'll say it again, life is not that precious to be treated like this. 

Also, sorry Chino, it's such a tough situation.  You didn't even talk about the financial burden (as the emotional is way more important) but these things come at a huge cost too. 

Both my grandparents got to a state where they couldn't talk or move at all, lost all memory, everything.  Just vegetables and yet cost my mom and her sister so much money and emotional burden to keep alive until their bodies gave up.  I think my parents don't agree with assisted suicide so they weren't arguing to get them into their next life, but the all around suffering during those years was definitely noticeable.  My Mom also lost touch with her Uncle due to all this (fighting over money and my grandpas wishes), and then he passed too so kind of a shitty way to end his life as well.   

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #162 on: November 13, 2019, 12:55:47 PM »

It's bullshit.

You took the words right off my fingers Bill.

Sorry your family has to endure such unnecessary pain and suffering, Brian.

With these fellas. I'm not a fan of any instance where your 'choice' is removed from an equation.

Really sorry to hear about this Brian.

(which is why I catch a ton of poo poo being a 'pro choice' Christian as far as abortions. I don't agree with it and would prefer them not to happen...but you can't take someones choice away. just hope it's an educated choice..that's all)

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #163 on: November 14, 2019, 09:43:40 AM »
I was up for almost 24 hours straight Monday into Tues. Worked Tues night with like 4 hours of sleep. Same last night. Left home at 930pm. Got home at nearly 9am.  I go to lay down and sleep.... And my landlords boyfriend is in the garage our unit is attached to cutting sheet metal? And hammering it. Seriously dude... You know I've been working nights. You physically watched me leave last night and come home this morning (doesn't have a normal job and spends most of his time in his "man cave / work shop" in the garage), and you're going to start this right as I get home?
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #164 on: November 14, 2019, 09:49:17 AM »
Trying to reschedule some 'traditional' days that we usually get together for Christmas with my family. My side usually meets up at my Grandfather's the Saturday before Christmas. Issue this year is I now have (2) kids playing hockey....and, we're in the thick of practices and games. That day in particular we have a game at 4:00pm and another one at 9:50pm

Rather than discuss options like adults my two brothers, mother and grandfather immediately get all worked up and bent out of shape about having to switch the day.....yadda yadda yadda.....I'm to the point of just not showing up period because they're all acting like four year olds.

Yeah....Christmas Season!  :tup

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #165 on: November 14, 2019, 10:25:14 AM »
Sometimes it's nice not to have to put up with that BS.  It sucks that mrs.jingle and I have toxic family members, and we don't speak, but the peace and quiet is nice sometimes. 

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #166 on: November 14, 2019, 10:30:14 AM »
Sometimes it's nice not to have to put up with that BS.  It sucks that mrs.jingle and I have toxic family members, and we don't speak, but the peace and quiet is nice sometimes.

I enjoy 'family time' and understand that any moments I create with my grandfather, mother.....brothers....can be precious. You just never know when the 'last' time you get to see or hug someone is.

That being said....the older I get.....the more and more I find myself just more concerned about my immediate family needs....me, my wife and boys. All other 'family' scenarios after that are secondary to me. Sounds kind of harsh but it's just true.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #167 on: November 14, 2019, 10:38:35 AM »
While it should be able to get resolved with a mature conversation, I see both sides of the coin.  If you have kids and you have stuff going on, that comes first of course, but it can be a bit oft-putting to others at times.  Case in point: in 2009, my grandma turned 100 and a big shindig was thrown for her.  There are 20 grandkids on that side of the family (I was the 17th born) and 19 of us were there.  One cousin, who rarely came to family events and has since passed, even came, but there was one cousin who didn't come because one of his kids had a soccer game, and I was like WTF?  This is Grandma's 100th and you are missing it because of a freaking soccer game??  There are some cool pics from the event as well, and it always looks a little strange to see that one pic of Grandma with 19 of her grandkids (with 1 missing). 

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #168 on: November 14, 2019, 10:52:42 AM »
While it should be able to get resolved with a mature conversation, I see both sides of the coin.  If you have kids and you have stuff going on, that comes first of course, but it can be a bit oft-putting to others at times.  Case in point: in 2009, my grandma turned 100 and a big shindig was thrown for her.  There are 20 grandkids on that side of the family (I was the 17th born) and 19 of us were there.  One cousin, who rarely came to family events and has since passed, even came, but there was one cousin who didn't come because one of his kids had a soccer game, and I was like WTF?  This is Grandma's 100th and you are missing it because of a freaking soccer game??  There are some cool pics from the event as well, and it always looks a little strange to see that one pic of Grandma with 19 of her grandkids (with 1 missing).

I get it...totally. Something like a 100th B-Day party I'd miss a game for sure. But when my wife and I mention (3) different days/options as to when we could reschedule without it affecting anything and the big push back is 'we always do it on this day'.....I start to get a bit peeved.

Since that post earlier it's been decided that we are going to get together 'early' on the 20th. Which is fine and dandy and all, but my one sons 4:10 game is 1 hour and 20 minutes away from my grandfathers (Kev...you'll know this...my grandpa lives in St. Clair and the game is at the Mills in Hazelwood) So....in order to get my son to his game on time (on time being the hour before according to team rules) I will have to leave at 2:00 that day. That's still gonna tick off some folks.

Anyway.....yipee!!!

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #169 on: November 14, 2019, 10:58:48 AM »

I get it...totally. Something like a 100th B-Day party I'd miss a game for sure. But when my wife and I mention (3) different days/options as to when we could reschedule without it affecting anything and the big push back is 'we always do it on this day'.....I start to get a bit peeved.

Since that post earlier it's been decided that we are going to get together 'early' on the 20th. Which is fine and dandy and all, but my one sons 4:10 game is 1 hour and 20 minutes away from my grandfathers (Kev...you'll know this...my grandpa lives in St. Clair and the game is at the Mills in Hazelwood) So....in order to get my son to his game on time (on time being the hour before according to team rules) I will have to leave at 2:00 that day. That's still gonna tick off some folks.

Anyway.....yipee!!!

Yowza, that is quite a haul for one day (factoring in the drive from home to your grandpa's and then home later).  Should be fun stuff, especially once you factor in the guilt trips that are surely headed your way. :lol

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #170 on: November 14, 2019, 11:04:43 AM »

Yowza, that is quite a haul for one day (factoring in the drive from home to your grandpa's and then home later).  Should be fun stuff, especially once you factor in the guilt trips that are surely headed your way. :lol
[/quote]

Already begun my man.....already begun.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #171 on: November 14, 2019, 07:07:28 PM »

Already begun my man.....already begun.

Well, if you really cared about your extended family, you'd find a way to work around their schedules...

:P :P

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #172 on: November 14, 2019, 07:11:44 PM »

Anyway.....yipee!!!

Gary, just asking, and totally not taking sides. I find this line of posts actually really interesting.

What would be the harm in your son skipping the game? Are you trying to instill that his team is depending on him, and that if commits to something he stick to it?

Is it possible for your wife to take him, and you stay behind with your other sons at the get together?
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #173 on: November 14, 2019, 07:29:17 PM »

It's bullshit.

I agree too Chino. I'm really sorry for the suffering she is enduring.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #174 on: November 14, 2019, 08:07:37 PM »

Anyway.....yipee!!!

Gary, just asking, and totally not taking sides. I find this line of posts actually really interesting.

What would be the harm in your son skipping the game? Are you trying to instill that his team is depending on him, and that if commits to something he stick to it?

Is it possible for your wife to take him, and you stay behind with your other sons at the get together?

No problem with the questions Tim. As far as skipping.....aside from it costing $900 a kid to play roughly 25-30 games (depending on tournament games played) which makes every game pretty ‘valuable’.....it is also the commitment to his team. It’s not really an option to skip as far as I’m concerned.

We’ve basically worked it out to where I’m just gonna leave early with him. The others will stay behind and we will meet up later.