Author Topic: What pissed you off today?  (Read 124545 times)

ProfessorPeart and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline XJDenton

• What a shame
  • Global Moderator
Re: What pissed you off today?
« Reply #1365 on: November 08, 2022, 10:08:41 AM »
Well that's a shit. Need a hand?
"For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for nature cannot be fooled." - Richard Feynman

Offline MetalJunkie

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1366 on: November 08, 2022, 11:41:04 PM »
How do you mean?
Listen! Do you smell something?

Offline XJDenton

• What a shame
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1367 on: November 09, 2022, 04:00:38 AM »
How do you mean?

As in, do you need financial help?
"For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for nature cannot be fooled." - Richard Feynman

Offline MetalJunkie

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1368 on: November 09, 2022, 04:24:17 AM »
How do you mean?

As in, do you need financial help?
I don't even know what to say - the generosity in this has me floored. I've always prided myself in being able to support myself, and it's always been extremely hard for me to accept help and to answer "yes" to a question like that. But at this point, it's looking closer to yeah. Yeah, I might.

It's a shit situation. The mix of the finances combined with someone who I thought was a friend fucking me over and then ghosting me. I feel gutted.

I

Offline lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #1369 on: November 09, 2022, 08:14:30 AM »
We're working on a $5 million expansion at my work office which I get to manage. We are being held up by HVAC equipment. It was suppose to ship on Friday. Monday we get notice that it won't ship until January. I'm annoyed by the delay and we thankfully have a workaround. What I'm pissed about is that we were not inform until the day after it was supposed to ship that there would be a 2+ moth delay. The manufacturer had to have known this for weeks.

Offline XJDenton

• What a shame
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1370 on: November 09, 2022, 09:59:02 AM »
I don't even know what to say - the generosity in this has me floored. I've always prided myself in being able to support myself, and it's always been extremely hard for me to accept help and to answer "yes" to a question like that. But at this point, it's looking closer to yeah. Yeah, I might.

If it becomes a firm "yes", then shoot me a PM. I'll see what I can do.

Offline emtee

« Reply #1371 on: November 21, 2022, 06:16:51 AM »
I think today's piece about climate "activists" defacing or destroying historic and valuable works of art, is like the 4th or 5th time in a couple months. Their childish actions are impacting me in the opposite way they had hoped.

Offline XJDenton

• What a shame
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1372 on: November 21, 2022, 06:22:17 AM »
You are less likely to pay attention to a climate catastrophe that will probably result in millions of excess deaths because someone threw some paint on a glass covering of a painting?

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1373 on: November 21, 2022, 06:25:02 AM »
I think today's piece about climate "activists" defacing or destroying historic and valuable works of art, is like the 4th or 5th time in a couple months. Their childish actions are impacting me in the opposite way they had hoped.

The only events I've heard of, haven't damage any works of art. In fact, that was one of Stop Oil's goals. Do you have a link to an article where actual damage is done?
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Online ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #1374 on: December 11, 2022, 10:22:21 PM »
The downfall of the USPS continues. I had pre-ordered the new Threshold from Amazon and they kept pushing out the delivery date. I finally gave up on them early this week when they said the end of the month. I cancelled it and ordered it from Laser CD who had it in stock plus I picked up 2 other discs. Ken got it out to the USPS the next day like he always does. I watched my tracking for 5 days, nothing. Just said it was sitting in New Jersey. Finally tonight it arrived at a different post office but the state didn't make sense to me. Googled it and my package is now on the east coast of Puerto Rico! C'mon! I should have had it by now and who knows how long this will take now. Last I checked, Illinois was nowhere close to Puerto Rico.   >:(
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Offline Glasser

« Reply #1375 on: December 11, 2022, 10:46:06 PM »
The downfall of the USPS continues. I had pre-ordered the new Threshold from Amazon and they kept pushing out the delivery date. I finally gave up on them early this week when they said the end of the month. I cancelled it and ordered it from Laser CD who had it in stock plus I picked up 2 other discs. Ken got it out to the USPS the next day like he always does. I watched my tracking for 5 days, nothing. Just said it was sitting in New Jersey. Finally tonight it arrived at a different post office but the state didn't make sense to me. Googled it and my package is now on the east coast of Puerto Rico! C'mon! I should have had it by now and who knows how long this will take now. Last I checked, Illinois was nowhere close to Puerto Rico.   >:(

Yup! I ordered Alice Cooper "Hey Stoopid" from Amazon. When Amazon delivers I always get it in 2 days being I have Prime, but it was transferred to USPS in Connecticut and I'm in NY. Its been over a week and all it says is Running Late, now it says your package may be lost. Amazon will send another but its the point that USPS is AWFUL!  >:(

Offline MetalJunkie

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1376 on: December 28, 2022, 04:18:35 PM »
Just beat Lego Lord of the Rings on my day off today, and I was excited to 100% it. Loaded it up and GOD DAMN IT. Save files were wiped.

« Last Edit: December 29, 2022, 11:08:25 PM by MetalJunkie »

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #1377 on: January 09, 2023, 11:11:29 AM »
Got a letter from the IRS......should be all I need to say. Long story short......all the kerfuful of collecting unemployment, stimulus checks, child tax credits yadda yadda yadda during the summer of covid.....couple mis-entered numbers and boxes not checked results in us needing to cough up $4,600    >:( :censored :censored >:( :censored

Nice to know our government feels the need to come after me for that couple thousand as I sit and watch unfathomable levels of corruption just line the bank accounts of everyone in congress and these billionaires skate on paying anything. After an hour on the phone with an agent I 'get' that it's not like I don't owe this shit......I get it.....but the documents and paper work they provided us from that time period was confusing as all hell and I'm just pissed that this is coming out of nowhere....especially since we already had to pay last year for the first time ever and now this.

Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1378 on: January 09, 2023, 12:07:28 PM »
Got a letter from the IRS......should be all I need to say. Long story short......all the kerfuful of collecting unemployment, stimulus checks, child tax credits yadda yadda yadda during the summer of covid.....couple mis-entered numbers and boxes not checked results in us needing to cough up $4,600    >:( :censored :censored >:( :censored

Nice to know our government feels the need to come after me for that couple thousand as I sit and watch unfathomable levels of corruption just line the bank accounts of everyone in congress and these billionaires skate on paying anything. After an hour on the phone with an agent I 'get' that it's not like I don't owe this shit......I get it.....but the documents and paper work they provided us from that time period was confusing as all hell and I'm just pissed that this is coming out of nowhere....especially since we already had to pay last year for the first time ever and now this.

Oh man. That blows!
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #1379 on: January 09, 2023, 12:10:29 PM »

Oh man. That blows!

And sucks!
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1380 on: January 10, 2023, 05:27:41 AM »
Eh, you got the use of their money for a couple years. I'd call that a win.
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #1381 on: January 10, 2023, 05:38:23 AM »
Eh, you got the use of their money for a couple years. I'd call that a win.

Yeah, when the gov't (or my company) makes an error in my favour, then comes to collect, I try to think of it as an interest-free loan.

But it still sucks.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline XJDenton

• What a shame
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1382 on: January 10, 2023, 05:56:57 AM »
I assume the IRS can organise some kind of payment plan or is it all up-front cost? Because that ain't a small chunk of change to suddenly owe.

Offline emtee

« Reply #1383 on: January 10, 2023, 06:02:26 AM »
Bottom line - it's become far too complicated to do our taxes. If you were to give a semi-detailed return with multiple forms needed to 25 different CPA's, you would probably get 12 different results. And forget about using Free Tax USA or some other do it yourself software.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #1384 on: January 10, 2023, 06:11:20 AM »
I assume the IRS can organise some kind of payment plan or is it all up-front cost? Because that ain't a small chunk of change to suddenly owe.

You can do payment plans.  They're not the monsters that some (in politics and out) make them out to be.

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1385 on: January 10, 2023, 06:43:32 AM »
As someone who learned the hard way about paying taxes on investments you can set up payment plans and they are actually very flexible. As stads said they are reasonable and most people get into deep shit by ignoring the problem.

That said it does piss me off that we have to essentially guess what we owe at the end of the year when the IRS knows. I remember reading a story that California wanted to change the laws around that in which intuit lobbied against it but that's a discussion for another time and thread.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1386 on: January 10, 2023, 06:53:11 AM »
Bottom line - it's become far too complicated to do our taxes. If you were to give a semi-detailed return with multiple forms needed to 25 different CPA's, you would probably get 12 different results. And forget about using Free Tax USA or some other do it yourself software.

Well, DOING them is easy - Turbo Tax is basic - but OPTIMIZING them is difficult.   I've done my own taxes for the better part of three decades now, and even going through a divorce, having a rental property, having a personal business...

But this ought to be remembered when talking about taxes on the national level; I got a great kick out of the last six or seven years and the discussions about Trump's tax returns.  It's a joke how so many (supposedly smart) people don't have the first clue about a tax return (and I'm convinced, beyond a shadow of a doubt, that most of that discussion was NOT about Trump's financials, but rather about just being childish and tweaking someone that a significant plurality of Americans don't like and actively want to see fail).

I laughed out loud when Trump's first tax returns came out and the uproar started.  Someone wrote "it doesn't look like he donated his salary like he claimed!" and anyone who has even GLANCED at a tax return should know that it's far more complicated than that; it depends on a host of factors, not least of which who he donated to. I give modest donations each year (my mother-in-law used to work for a charity in our home town, so old clothes and furniture went there first) and you wouldn't necessarily know that just from the tax return.   

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1387 on: January 10, 2023, 06:59:29 AM »

You can do payment plans.  They're not the monsters that some (in politics and out) make them out to be.

Yep....there are payment plans. But as XJDenton says.....that was a nice little swift kick to the nuts out of nowhere!  :omg:

Bottom line - it's become far too complicated to do our taxes.

I've done ours for 17 years now and this was the first issue and honestly, it was my error. The paperwork they sent us was confusing and I just didn't give it the proper attention and 'assumed' I knew what I was doing. It F'n sucks but I'm over it now. Now just evaluating what method I want to use in paying this back.

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #1388 on: January 10, 2023, 08:59:13 AM »

Don't just assume what they're reporting is accurate. When I got one of those a couple of years ago I handed it off to a friend who's good with this sort of thing. He decided that they were in error and sent along a letter explaining it to them. I have no idea if he was actually right, or if they were content to just settle, but it went from about $1500 down to a buck-eighty or so. Even if they are right it's possible a convincing argument to the contrary might be enough for them to make it want to go away--what with them being so shorthanded and backlogged and whatnot.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #1389 on: January 10, 2023, 09:19:45 AM »

Don't just assume what they're reporting is accurate. When I got one of those a couple of years ago I handed it off to a friend who's good with this sort of thing. He decided that they were in error and sent along a letter explaining it to them. I have no idea if he was actually right, or if they were content to just settle, but it went from about $1500 down to a buck-eighty or so. Even if they are right it's possible a convincing argument to the contrary might be enough for them to make it want to go away--what with them being so shorthanded and backlogged and whatnot.
I was going to say this as well. Don't just assume the IRS is correct. Double check it and push back if they're not.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1390 on: January 10, 2023, 10:23:36 AM »

I was going to say this as well. Don't just assume the IRS is correct. Double check it and push back if they're not.

A good friend of mine passed his CPA's info along to me and I'm going to set up an appointment with her to review all of this just to be sure.....as you guys have stated.

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #1391 on: January 10, 2023, 12:32:19 PM »
I can name a lot of things that are wrong with this country. If a for'ner asked me I wouldn't know where to start. One of the things that best exemplifies why I hate this place, though, is leaf blowers. Fuck those things. If God were real and actually cared about us he'd make it so that every single one of them carried a 1 in 5 chance of a fatal electrocution every time it started up. Think about it. They exist simply to dump our own problems onto somebody else. They blow leaves into the street, where they'll eventually wind up as somebody else's problem. That way we don't actually have to rake them up. They're ridiculously loud and obnoxious. For 12 hours a day you can't walk outside without hearing one somewhere. They kick up massive amounts of dirt and dust. I think the only people who actually want them around are allergists and car wash owners. How many times a week do you drive through a cloud of dirt because of one of those things? It's a combination of entitlement. Seriously, fuck those things.

I'd say that the only thing good about them is that they'll probably render everybody who uses them deaf and unable to breathe a few years down the road, but I honestly doubt that the Mexicans wielding them actually want to be doing what they are. Shame to punish the people just trying to survive.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1392 on: January 10, 2023, 12:43:07 PM »
Can't say I've ever experienced such a dislike of leaf blowers, but the blowing of one leafs to another's property is pretty shitty.  I'm just happy I have one tree on my yard and it doesn't create much leafs at all so maybe that's why blowers aren't a big issue in my life.  I do have a blower though, I use it a couple times a year just to clear off my patio of whatever outdoor debris gets on it over the winter when I start to use my patio more when the weather turns nicer.

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #1393 on: January 10, 2023, 12:54:24 PM »
Can't say I've ever experienced such a dislike of leaf blowers, but the blowing of one leafs to another's property is pretty shitty.  I'm just happy I have one tree on my yard and it doesn't create much leafs at all so maybe that's why blowers aren't a big issue in my life.  I do have a blower though, I use it a couple times a year just to clear off my patio of whatever outdoor debris gets on it over the winter when I start to use my patio more when the weather turns nicer.
It probably has to do with the density of housing here. Seriously, between 0800 and 1700 there is a landscaping crew on every block. Half dealing with houses and the other half working for apartment complexes. They're absolutely ubiquitous.

Oh, and another reason I want them all dead: No matter what day I have off from work it seems that's the day the landscapers come to deal with my apartment. If they normally come on Wednesdays and I take Friday off, that's the day they have to do a makeup because it rained Wednesday. Right outside my fucking window.
E.F. Benson

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1394 on: January 10, 2023, 12:56:05 PM »
I get that.  I have staff members all the time asking me to get a leaf blower for the venues.  I say fuck that, we have dustpan and brooms on site.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1395 on: January 10, 2023, 02:33:40 PM »
I can name a lot of things that are wrong with this country. If a for'ner asked me I wouldn't know where to start. One of the things that best exemplifies why I hate this place, though, is leaf blowers. Fuck those things. If God were real and actually cared about us he'd make it so that every single one of them carried a 1 in 5 chance of a fatal electrocution every time it started up. Think about it. They exist simply to dump our own problems onto somebody else. They blow leaves into the street, where they'll eventually wind up as somebody else's problem. That way we don't actually have to rake them up. They're ridiculously loud and obnoxious. For 12 hours a day you can't walk outside without hearing one somewhere. They kick up massive amounts of dirt and dust. I think the only people who actually want them around are allergists and car wash owners. How many times a week do you drive through a cloud of dirt because of one of those things? It's a combination of entitlement. Seriously, fuck those things.

I'd say that the only thing good about them is that they'll probably render everybody who uses them deaf and unable to breathe a few years down the road, but I honestly doubt that the Mexicans wielding them actually want to be doing what they are. Shame to punish the people just trying to survive.

Funny thing?  The guy across the street from me at my old house used to use his to dry his car after he washed them; that was baffling to me. You're basically sand-blasting your car!

Ten acres, man.  I don't use mine very often, and when I do, I use it like Marc does (to clean patios and whatnot).   The best benefit to where I am is the stars - I have the best view of the planets; me and my two kids literally just stood in my driveway over break clouting the planets.   But second best is, I don't have to hear landscapers!  I don't share your hatred of leaf blowers, but I do share your hatred of landscapers. They are like ants or locusts that swarm a property and then move to the next one. 
« Last Edit: January 10, 2023, 02:41:06 PM by Stadler »

Online Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #1396 on: January 10, 2023, 05:53:39 PM »

This is what I have been saying in my head since moving into my apartment. I live by the office, so maintenance starts blowing the leaves first thing when they arrive to work at 7 in the morning.   >:(

And to add to this, the apartment complex has trees where there shouldn't be trees and now they are having issues with the roots going into the water pipes, which is what caused the sprinkler system to leak water. They had to call a company to dig right by my downstairs neighbors patio part where the tree was. There were quite a few of us wondering why they planted a tree there anyways.  :facepalm:
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline Glasser

« Reply #1397 on: January 10, 2023, 08:24:10 PM »
My fucking mother in law!  >:( :censored

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #1398 on: January 11, 2023, 12:53:42 PM »
Well, I've never been married so I kind of eliminated that problem. :lol
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #1399 on: January 11, 2023, 01:37:00 PM »
My fucking mother in law!  >:( :censored

The stories I could tell you....
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC