Author Topic: What pissed you off today?  (Read 124568 times)

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: What pissed you off today?
« Reply #1120 on: May 26, 2022, 06:30:08 PM »
I'd rather deal with a dog then a whiny ass kid. Leave both at home and don't bring them to restaurants.

This too.  Crying fucking kids and the parents not doing anything.  Shut your fucking punk ass kid up for fucks sake.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1121 on: May 26, 2022, 06:32:09 PM »
I get that some "need" emotional support animals, but it feels like it is out of control where people take their dogs everywhere now. 

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1122 on: May 26, 2022, 06:32:43 PM »
I'd rather deal with a dog then a whiny ass kid. Leave both at home and don't bring them to restaurants.

I gather kids aren’t in the cards with you and Mrs Reaper anytime soon? :lol

No :lol. I've never had the desire or drive to have kids, actually ruined a previous relationship because my gf at the time wanted kids, 3, and I wanted zero.

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1123 on: May 26, 2022, 06:33:38 PM »

This too.  Crying fucking kids and the parents not doing anything.  Shut your fucking punk ass kid up for fucks sake.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1124 on: May 26, 2022, 07:04:31 PM »

I gather kids aren’t in the cards with you and Mrs Reaper anytime soon? :lol

No :lol. I've never had the desire or drive to have kids, actually ruined a previous relationship because my gf at the time wanted kids, 3, and I wanted zero.

That would be a tough situation.  I haven't had that issue thankfully and due to recent events, my view on not having children won't change anytime soon.

Kind of funny that she knew specifically how many she wanted.  That may be normal but I find that amusing.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1125 on: May 26, 2022, 07:09:02 PM »
A crying kid in public is tough for a parent. They know it's a hassle for everyone around them. A lot of times, you just need to take the kid outside to calm him down.
While I do think that parents with crying children deserve a bit of patience from those around them, it's an extremely fine line between that, and pissing everyone off.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1126 on: May 26, 2022, 07:13:36 PM »
A crying kid in public is tough for a parent. They know it's a hassle for everyone around them. A lot of times, you just need to take the kid outside to calm him down.
While I do think that parents with crying children deserve a bit of patience from those around them, it's an extremely fine line between that, and pissing everyone off.

I do think that all the time, I know sometimes it would be impossible to deal with as a parent, I'm just being a prick.  Sometimes though, for some questionable looking parents it seems they don't care and don't have any consideration for how it pisses other people off and just let the kid carry on.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1127 on: May 26, 2022, 07:15:49 PM »

I do think that all the time, I know sometimes it would be impossible to deal with as a parent, I'm just being a prick.  Sometimes though, for some questionable looking parents it seems they don't care and don't have any consideration for how it pisses other people off and just let the kid carry on.

Yeah, that happens for sure.

And no worries being a prick. I can relate. :lol

I've accumulated a list of gripes on this vacation. My family has been rolling their eyes all week.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• I find your lack of filtered water disturbing
  • DTF.org Member
  • Together we can rule the ocean as father and son
« Reply #1128 on: May 26, 2022, 07:26:41 PM »
Talking about dogs, a few years ago I was standing at a street corner waiting for my SO. As she is approaching I noticed her point at my feet with a shocked face, I looked down and a tiny little freaking dog was peeing on my shoes!

Did you at least punt the dog across the street?  :lol

Actually it's not really the dogs fault, it's the dogs owners fault.....did you punt the dogs owner across the street?  :corn
aka Puppies_On_Acid
I peed next to Ian Mosley and Mark Kelly
Derek Sherinian probably stands 10 feet away from the urinal, shoots from downtown, and announces loudly that he's making history.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1129 on: May 26, 2022, 07:28:36 PM »

Yeah, that happens for sure.

And no worries being a prick. I can relate. :lol

I've accumulated a list of gripes on this vacation. My family has been rolling their eyes all week.

You should've vacationed in Florida, you could've shared your gripes over some drinks :lol

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #1130 on: May 27, 2022, 07:10:47 AM »

I'm with you on all counts, but some parents don't do that.  They tuck their heads down and seemingly ignore it.  Look, I love a meal out with my fam as much - more than - the next guy, but if my kid is crying, that is MY problem not the public's problem.  If my meal gets interrupted, well, so friggin' what.  I can afford to miss a meal or two (pats belly).

I think that's really my issue with most of these topics.  Most of them are UNDERSTANDABLE, but they are still a ME problem, not a PUBLIC problem.   We've seemingly morphed into this state where the expectation is that all of us - as a group - HAVE to bear the individual burden. And I'm saying, NO.

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1131 on: May 27, 2022, 07:40:01 AM »
Unrealistic expectations and deadlines set by leadership at work after being advised by all the SMEs it was too aggressive of a timeline, and then being told "clear your Memorial Day weekend plans including Memorial Day".

Offline lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #1132 on: May 27, 2022, 08:05:37 AM »
On dogs:

We have an empty lot across the road from us. A woman from down the street appears to walk her dog down there in order to let it take a crap and then doesn't clean up after it. I haven't actually seen the dog taking a dump since it's long grass, but she lets it off the leash into the property. It's not my land (though I kind of want to buy it if its ever for sale), but I really want to say something to her next time I see it. I don't want the whole lot to reek of dog crap.

My general observation about dog owners is that they're terrible rule followers. Dogs must be on leash: "my dog is trained and can stay next to me". No dogs allowed on beach: "there aren't any kids swimming right now, I can let me dog play in the water". And so on.

My biggest beef was when my kids were little and scared of dogs. A big dog off leash will come up to us and my kids will try to hide behind me. I get a defensive posture ready to protect them from the unknown dog. Annoyed dog owner: "My dog is so friendly and loves kids" Well... I don't freaking know your dog and they've ever met my kids. Forgive me for preparing for a less than perfect introduction when we didn't ask for it..

On kids:

Kinds having a tantrum is difficult as a parent. Thankfully we haven't had too many full blown tantrums on public over the years. It is absolutely imperative as a parent to never give in to a tantrum. Your child absolutely cannot win in that situation or you're reinforcing awful behavior. Sometimes that means flat out ignoring them. Now, in a restaurant or something where people are paying money for a nice experience, I would carry my child outside until they calm down. In the aisle of the grocery store, I'm probably just leaving them there. Again, I've never had a complete meltdown in public, but there have certainly been some mini tantrums. If my child wants to whine and roll around on the floor while I patiently wait, I'll let that happen.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2022, 08:11:45 AM by lordxizor »

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1133 on: May 27, 2022, 08:09:09 AM »
You wont smell anything from a dog shitting in that overgrown lot. At the end of the week if you put all that dog's shit in a bucket, and then bucketed all the shit from the squirrels, rabbits, mice, birds, coyotes, foxes, opossums, feral cats, etc that also use that lot... the quantity of dog shit would pale in comparison.   

Not saying she's right to let her dog do that, but you won't have to worry about the smell.

Offline lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #1134 on: May 27, 2022, 08:12:48 AM »
You wont smell anything from a dog shitting in that overgrown lot. At the end of the week if you put all that dog's shit in a bucket, and then bucketed all the shit from the squirrels, rabbits, mice, birds, coyotes, foxes, opossums, feral cats, etc that also use that lot... the quantity of dog shit would pale in comparison.   

Not saying she's right to let her dog do that, but you won't have to worry about the smell.
That's probably true.

Offline Harmony

« Reply #1135 on: May 27, 2022, 09:37:01 AM »
I've just got to chime in on the tantrum issue.  Like with many parents, out of control behavior/crying/tantrums was a huge challenge for me.  I was never allowed to behave that way as a child and would've likely been spanked/smacked across the face as a result.  And because of that form of discipline (the word 'discipline' actually means 'to teach' BTW) I was never taught how to manage my big emotions....something I still struggle with as adult.  Something I'd wager more than just a few of us here have difficulty with after reading the parenting/advice thread.  And to be clear, I don't blame my parents.  They learned it from their parents and back and back and back.  Blame is a dead end street when it comes to parenting.

So as parents we spend a lot of time teaching our children basic skills - crawling, walking, eating with utensils, using the toilet, using words, sleeping in a bed.  And yet the thought of taking time to teach children how to manage their big emotions (remember their brains are lacking the prefrontal cortex where higher functioning, impulse control, the notion of consequences for actions resides) by forcing them to do it on their own.  Put the kid in time out.  Ignore them when they act out.  Shun them when they act up.  In some cases dole out corporal punishment.  It doesn't make sense to me that we expect toddlers to have their emotional all figured out and how to handle them when they crop up - which is like every 2 seconds, right?  It takes a lot of time and effort and parents are fucking tired.  I get it, I've been there.  But I postulate that it is every bit as important to teach your toddler how to handle their big emotions as it is to teach them how to use the toilet (another thing that takes a lot of time and effort) and is worth every single second of time you put into it.

Now I'm expecting people will think I believe we should just let tantruming children run amok in restaurants and not step in.  This is not at all what I'm suggesting.  I'm suggesting that removing the child from the public place to preserve peace for others is just the first step.  The second step is helping the child calm down and letting the child know that you understand that big emotion they are experiencing and that you are there to help them figure out a better way to manage it than screaming like a banshee in a restaurant.  And being prepared to do this about a hundred times.  You have to be willing to "be with" your child in their emotions.  You meet them where they are at and help them until they can manage on their own.  In this process they learn they can trust you to help them cope with problems down the line and they won't be shunned away.  It gives you the opportunity to teach them that the world won't stop every time they have a big emotion but you as their parent will be there with them when they feel out of control.

I was talking to one of my kids the other day about how it is important to look at parenting with a long-term lens.  The goal is to form functioning adults in a world full of landmines.  We are here to set our children up for success and part of that is to teach them the skills they need to navigate their emotions - and to ask for help when they struggle with this.  So while it is easier to send a kid to their room for a time out in the moment, if the long term goal is to teach that kid how to behave better, they aren't going to learn that alone up in their room.  And just maybe alone up in their room, they are going to turn to an outside source to learn from, like social media.
Just another member of Gaia's intramural baseball squad

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #1136 on: May 27, 2022, 12:56:30 PM »
Kinds having a tantrum is difficult as a parent. Thankfully we haven't had too many full blown tantrums on public over the years. It is absolutely imperative as a parent to never give in to a tantrum. Your child absolutely cannot win in that situation or you're reinforcing awful behavior. Sometimes that means flat out ignoring them. Now, in a restaurant or something where people are paying money for a nice experience, I would carry my child outside until they calm down. In the aisle of the grocery store, I'm probably just leaving them there. Again, I've never had a complete meltdown in public, but there have certainly been some mini tantrums. If my child wants to whine and roll around on the floor while I patiently wait, I'll let that happen.

Reminds me of this video - boss level parenting
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1137 on: May 27, 2022, 12:56:42 PM »
Great post, Harmony
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1138 on: May 28, 2022, 07:36:45 AM »
I've just got to chime in on the tantrum issue.  Like with many parents, out of control behavior/crying/tantrums was a huge challenge for me.  I was never allowed to behave that way as a child and would've likely been spanked/smacked across the face as a result.  And because of that form of discipline (the word 'discipline' actually means 'to teach' BTW) I was never taught how to manage my big emotions....something I still struggle with as adult.  Something I'd wager more than just a few of us here have difficulty with after reading the parenting/advice thread.  And to be clear, I don't blame my parents.  They learned it from their parents and back and back and back.  Blame is a dead end street when it comes to parenting.

So as parents we spend a lot of time teaching our children basic skills - crawling, walking, eating with utensils, using the toilet, using words, sleeping in a bed.  And yet the thought of taking time to teach children how to manage their big emotions (remember their brains are lacking the prefrontal cortex where higher functioning, impulse control, the notion of consequences for actions resides) by forcing them to do it on their own.  Put the kid in time out.  Ignore them when they act out.  Shun them when they act up.  In some cases dole out corporal punishment.  It doesn't make sense to me that we expect toddlers to have their emotional all figured out and how to handle them when they crop up - which is like every 2 seconds, right?  It takes a lot of time and effort and parents are fucking tired.  I get it, I've been there.  But I postulate that it is every bit as important to teach your toddler how to handle their big emotions as it is to teach them how to use the toilet (another thing that takes a lot of time and effort) and is worth every single second of time you put into it.

Now I'm expecting people will think I believe we should just let tantruming children run amok in restaurants and not step in.  This is not at all what I'm suggesting.  I'm suggesting that removing the child from the public place to preserve peace for others is just the first step.  The second step is helping the child calm down and letting the child know that you understand that big emotion they are experiencing and that you are there to help them figure out a better way to manage it than screaming like a banshee in a restaurant.  And being prepared to do this about a hundred times.  You have to be willing to "be with" your child in their emotions.  You meet them where they are at and help them until they can manage on their own.  In this process they learn they can trust you to help them cope with problems down the line and they won't be shunned away.  It gives you the opportunity to teach them that the world won't stop every time they have a big emotion but you as their parent will be there with them when they feel out of control.

I was talking to one of my kids the other day about how it is important to look at parenting with a long-term lens.  The goal is to form functioning adults in a world full of landmines.  We are here to set our children up for success and part of that is to teach them the skills they need to navigate their emotions - and to ask for help when they struggle with this.  So while it is easier to send a kid to their room for a time out in the moment, if the long term goal is to teach that kid how to behave better, they aren't going to learn that alone up in their room.  And just maybe alone up in their room, they are going to turn to an outside source to learn from, like social media.

This is gold.   That prefrontal cortex you mentioned doesn't fully develop until about the age of 25; well past the date that we as parents traditionally have kept "input".  I'm far from perfect, but I've tried, through divorces, remarriages, moving, etc. to not look at each moment as a moment, but as a part of a bigger arc.   Not easy, not always possible, but it's a goal.

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #1139 on: May 28, 2022, 11:04:36 AM »
Shitty ass drivers. My route was decent yesterday except for the horrible drivers I dealt with all day.

One example: I'm in a residential neighborhood. Looking for a street (well it was actually a narrow alley). I'm going slow. No cars around minus one a block or so back. I find it. Right turn. Blinker is on. I cut it wide from the middle of the street because tight squeeze and large van. This bitch in a Mercedes SUV decides to pass me. On the right. AS I'M TURNING. I wound up slamming on the brake and we missed each other by a few inches. But... Really? Why? Literally no one else around us. Plenty of room to go around me on my left side. Or.. ya know... Just wait 3 seconds. I really wish I had hit her. The vans have cameras, facing in and out. I would have been 100 percent in the right.

I also can't even count the number of times I was cut off by people yesterday. I really think there should be some form of testing and licensing needed to be allowed to drive a car...

My (tiny 3lb dog) is way more well behaved in public places than kids. She chills in her backpack and most of the time you wouldn't even know she was there.
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #1140 on: June 01, 2022, 11:25:51 AM »
Yeah, I can definitely have a more intelligent conversation with a dog.
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline Skeever

« Reply #1141 on: June 06, 2022, 05:25:59 AM »

I would flip this and say that if you can handle kids out in public then you should be the one that gets asked to stay at home

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • welcome to the wasteland
« Reply #1142 on: June 12, 2022, 01:52:26 PM »
The tendency to shove people out of the hospital as soon as possible and do no followup after a procedure pissed me off on Tuesday and then again today.

My husband decided to have his (non-dangerous, just annoying) umbilical hernia operated on Tuesday and just about as soon as he could physically stand, they sent him home. Felt extremely sick and tired up to the evening and I'm guessing sleep apnea kicked in and he stopped breathing while napping and woke up hyperventilating with blue lips, then had a panic attack and we ended up in the ER. Love how my training from my family's various hospital adventures over the past 12 years kicked in and I packed a bag and put on his shoes and jacket using just one hand while on the line with them, silver linings :lol Everything was fine, it was just the shock from the surgery and tiredness and getting off meds. If he had been in the hospital for literally three more hours, they would have caught it.

So now his recovery started off on the wrong foot and since they're not doing any controls or checkups because nothing went wrong during the surgery itself, we have to go to the emergency doctor every time something's feeling kinda off just in case, which happened again today. I understand it's not a great use of hospital resources to let otherwise healthy young men take up beds for longer than they were designed to and have checkups with the surgeon who did his surgery, but now we've taken up the ambulance line twice for half an hour and ten minutes respectively, the ambulance car once, the emergency doctor's time once and now his doctor has to go over everything that happened and maybe order some more detailed tests that they didn't do in the ER.

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

type : mora : and delete the spaces for a surprise

Offline Glasser

« Reply #1143 on: June 12, 2022, 03:03:50 PM »
The tendency to shove people out of the hospital as soon as possible and do no followup after a procedure pissed me off on Tuesday and then again today.

My husband decided to have his (non-dangerous, just annoying) umbilical hernia operated on Tuesday and just about as soon as he could physically stand, they sent him home. Felt extremely sick and tired up to the evening and I'm guessing sleep apnea kicked in and he stopped breathing while napping and woke up hyperventilating with blue lips, then had a panic attack and we ended up in the ER. Love how my training from my family's various hospital adventures over the past 12 years kicked in and I packed a bag and put on his shoes and jacket using just one hand while on the line with them, silver linings :lol Everything was fine, it was just the shock from the surgery and tiredness and getting off meds. If he had been in the hospital for literally three more hours, they would have caught it.

So now his recovery started off on the wrong foot and since they're not doing any controls or checkups because nothing went wrong during the surgery itself, we have to go to the emergency doctor every time something's feeling kinda off just in case, which happened again today. I understand it's not a great use of hospital resources to let otherwise healthy young men take up beds for longer than they were designed to and have checkups with the surgeon who did his surgery, but now we've taken up the ambulance line twice for half an hour and ten minutes respectively, the ambulance car once, the emergency doctor's time once and now his doctor has to go over everything that happened and maybe order some more detailed tests that they didn't do in the ER.

That’s awful to hear and completely unacceptable! The health care system is struggling. I’m so sorry you and your husband are going through this. My thoughts and prayers are with you both.

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #1144 on: June 12, 2022, 03:14:58 PM »
Not today but yesterday.

My route I was put on at work. It felt like someone took a list of zones and just threw darts at it to peice together my route. All over the place on a day and the largest I've had in weeks... On a day wehre it was hitting 100°. Not fun.

I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #1145 on: June 12, 2022, 08:30:37 PM »

Such a huge pet peeve of mine. Insurance cost over the payers health. We pay all this money to get less care that we should get. 
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #1146 on: June 12, 2022, 08:57:03 PM »
ER's have become a joke to me. My biggest pet peeve in this arena is when we call our primary doctors office about an issue and their response is go to the ER. We go to the ER and then they literally do absolutely nothing beside monitor you. Maybe you'll get some pain relief or an IV. They will run no tests, discharge you once you are somewhat comfortable and tell you to.............wait for it.........................follow up with your doctor.

In my case, my co-pay to see my doctor is $10. The co-pay for the ER is $250.
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • welcome to the wasteland
« Reply #1147 on: June 13, 2022, 04:45:07 AM »
That’s awful to hear and completely unacceptable! The health care system is struggling. I’m so sorry you and your husband are going through this. My thoughts and prayers are with you both.
Thanks pal. This is the Norwegian health care system, so we pay more in taxes up front and less after we use the services, but it seems health care systems everywhere have some annoying traits no matter how much they're struggling or not.

ER's have become a joke to me. My biggest pet peeve in this arena is when we call our primary doctors office about an issue and their response is go to the ER. We go to the ER and then they literally do absolutely nothing beside monitor you. Maybe you'll get some pain relief or an IV. They will run no tests, discharge you once you are somewhat comfortable and tell you to.............wait for it.........................follow up with your doctor.

In my case, my co-pay to see my doctor is $10. The co-pay for the ER is $250.
I hear you and this sounds so so annoying. I understand that, from their perspective, everything that's literally not a life or death situation can be dealt with at home, but they really forget that to an average person, everything that's slightly out of normal is pretty scary to deal with and if you have to take 15 more minutes to explain why you're just monitoring them and why no tests are required sometimes, you should do that. If there's not enough staff, that is a serious problem, this isn't the grocery store and you shouldn't have the same staffing practices as a grocery store. I'm not squeamish and I've dealt with a lot - I've found my mom passed out on the floor several times when I was 19 and had to call the ER, to start with - but I did get a little spooked when it seemed like I actually had to convince them to send the ambulance for a guy who's passed out in his sleep going off anesthesia. It was a calm Tuesday night, I don't know if we could have scheduled a health crisis for a more convenient time :lol
« Last Edit: June 13, 2022, 04:53:39 AM by MoraWintersoul »

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

type : mora : and delete the spaces for a surprise

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1148 on: June 13, 2022, 04:48:01 AM »

I suppose one thing to be grateful for is a hospital system where you only experience a 30 and 10 minute wait of any kind.

But otherwise, yeah... the practice of medicine has devolved - for a variety of reasons, and it's such a shame as it hurts all of us - and it's happening everywhere

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1149 on: June 13, 2022, 08:28:59 AM »

I would flip this and say that if you can handle kids out in public then you should be the one that gets asked to stay at home

I can handle kids in public, what I don't like is parents who choose to do nothing about their kids when they are throwing a tantrum. I get thinga happen but if you're gonna just sit there and eat your bread sticks while your child acts like an asshole then I have a problem with that.

Offline Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
« Reply #1150 on: June 13, 2022, 08:46:13 AM »
I can handle kids in public, what I don't like is parents who choose to do nothing about their kids when they are throwing a tantrum. I get thinga happen but if you're gonna just sit there and eat your bread sticks while your child acts like an asshole then I have a problem with that.

I don't know if you have kids or don't - but one thing I learned after my kids were born is that non-parents don't understand the experiences of parents and shouldn't always make assumptions that they're not doing their job right.  . 

But having been there, sometimes there isn't much you can do.  I've been in both positions - I've walked through shopping malls with my daughter over my shoulder as she screamed and I headed back towards where we parked doing my best to remove her from the situation and having to endure the embarrassment of every single person in that mall staring at me.  I've taken my tired, tantrum-throwing kid out of the restaurant to let them cool down for 20 minutes, at the expense of the dinner that *I* paid for getting cold....all so some other families can enjoy *their* dinners in peace.

Other times, you just have to ride it out.  Every situation is different, and sometimes the usual distractions or a walk outside won't get the kids to calm down.  But to expect that us parents keep our kids at home at times, that's not realistic.  Kids are kids and sometimes their behavior isn't the greatest, but it's also how they learn, by being in public, making mistakes and being corrected. 

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1151 on: June 13, 2022, 09:03:48 AM »
No I don't have kids. I think it's a case by case bases; if it's burger king and kids are throwing a fit I don't really care but if it a nicer place then yes I will be pissed off. I'm not saying kids should stay at home but if you have a problematic children then maybe get a sitter. I too don't want my dinner ruined because your kids are having an issue. (I'm not directing any of this at you by the way, just expressing my beliefs).

Kids will be kids and I never blame them, I judge the parents. A little off topic but I've noticed, at least in my city, that there are a lot of young parents who have children but don't want to give up their lifestyle because of kids. I've seen countless mom's and dad's at breweries double fisiting beers while having their kid in a babybjorn.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1152 on: June 13, 2022, 09:18:33 AM »

I don't know if you have kids or don't - but one thing I learned after my kids were born is that non-parents don't understand the experiences of parents and shouldn't always make assumptions that they're not doing their job right.  . 

But having been there, sometimes there isn't much you can do.  I've been in both positions - I've walked through shopping malls with my daughter over my shoulder as she screamed and I headed back towards where we parked doing my best to remove her from the situation and having to endure the embarrassment of every single person in that mall staring at me.  I've taken my tired, tantrum-throwing kid out of the restaurant to let them cool down for 20 minutes, at the expense of the dinner that *I* paid for getting cold....all so some other families can enjoy *their* dinners in peace.

Other times, you just have to ride it out.  Every situation is different, and sometimes the usual distractions or a walk outside won't get the kids to calm down.  But to expect that us parents keep our kids at home at times, that's not realistic.  Kids are kids and sometimes their behavior isn't the greatest, but it's also how they learn, by being in public, making mistakes and being corrected.

As a parent to one, step parent to three and grandfather to two, I see both sides, and both sides have merit.  I've been there too (I remember one time my daughter didn't want to get in the carseat, and basically "planked" herself and screamed.  I was looking around the parking lot like an axe murderer imagining everyone was watching and judging me.

But there are nuances to all of this; yes, this is how they learn, but do they need to learn in that particular seat, in that particular restaurant?  I don't know the answer to that.  Yes, I paid for that meal, but do I have a RIGHT to it in that moment?  I don't know the answer to that.  And that works for both me as the parent, and me as the un-kidded fellow patron.  I think it's all how you handle it.  Yeah, I DO judge the parent that just sits there and seemingly ignores it going on.  If there is nothing to be done to stop the screaming, then I DO feel it's my obligation to endure the screaming in the parking lot, as opposed to at the table in Outback.

Don't take this as disagreeing, since I don't: it takes a village, and it takes compassion and awareness and understanding by all involved, including the parents and the other patrons.  All I'm saying is "tie goes the runner", and in this case, the patrons are the runner.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1153 on: June 13, 2022, 09:24:11 AM »
I think it's fair to be annoyed af at the kid screaming and parent doing nothing but also accepting that "kids will be kids".  It's just a shitty situation all around when a kid is having a moment in public.  I'd imagine we were all that kid once before and many here have also been that parent.  It sucks, it's annoying, and sometimes I do wish the parents would do more, but I accept, sometimes, it's just part of life.  I get more annoyed when, such as at the airport last week, when I child is running around and getting in everyone's way with the parent not doing anything.  I think such a situation for one, isn't safe, and two, can actually be resolved by a parent who cares to resolve it. 

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1154 on: June 13, 2022, 09:28:27 AM »
I think it's fair to be annoyed af at the kid screaming and parent doing nothing but also accepting that "kids will be kids".  It's just a shitty situation all around when a kid is having a moment in public.  I'd imagine we were all that kid once before and many here have also been that parent.  It sucks, it's annoying, and sometimes I do wish the parents would do more, but I accept, sometimes, it's just part of life.  I get more annoyed when, such as at the airport last week, when I child is running around and getting in everyone's way with the parent not doing anything.  I think such a situation for one, isn't safe, and two, can actually be resolved by a parent who cares to resolve it.

That's a fair point; there's a difference between that uncontrollable tantrum and simple misbehavior.   Speaking of airports, what bugs me is the waiting for baggage and watching the kids sitting and crawling and playing on the baggage carousel. The signs are there for a reason, and there' NO excuse whatsoever that that kid has to have his/her fingers in the baggage track.  I almost - ALMOST! - wish some kid would lose a finger to teach these asshole parents a lesson. That's not about difficult circumstances, even after a long flight. That's about lazy parenting.