Poll

Who were your favorite characters from Game of Thrones?  (VOTE FOR 5)

Ned Stark
Catelyn Stark
Rob Stark
Sansa Stark
Arya Stark
Bran Stark
Tywin Lannister
Cersei Lannister
Jaime Lannister
Tyrion Lannister
Daenerys Targaryen
Jon Snow
Theon Greyjoy
Sandor "The Hound" Clegane
Petyr "Littlefinger" Baelish
Robert Baratheon
Samwell Tarly
Bronn
Lord Varys
Jorah Mormont
Olenna Tyrell
Margaery Tyrell
Stannis Baratheon
Davos Seaworth
Brienne of Tarth
Tormund Giantsbane
Hot Pie
Ghost
The Night King

Voting closes: March 04, 2025, 05:44:32 PM

Author Topic: Who were your favorite characters from Game of Thrones?  (Read 4129 times)

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
Vote for 5.

Apologies if I left one of your favorites off, but I thought these were good choices.

Anybody who would have voted for Ramsay or Joffrey, please seek help. :P

I am going with:

Olenna Tyrell
Tywin Lannister
Tyrion Lannister
Jorah Mormont
The Hound

Daenerys and Arya just missed the cut.

Online DTA

Re: Who were your favorite characters from Game of Thrones?
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2019, 06:56:54 PM »
Ned Stark
Tywin Lannister
The Hound
Olenna Tyrell
Davos Seaworth (the coolest guy in the entire series)

Offline CrimsonSunrise

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2019, 07:00:29 PM »
First thoughts, not overthinking it

Arya Stark
Jaime Lannister
Tyrion Lannister
Daenerys Targaryen
Jon Snow

Offline krands85

« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2019, 07:10:24 PM »
Vote for 5.

Apologies if I left one of your favorites off, but I thought these were good choices.

Anybody who would have voted for Ramsay or Joffrey, please seek help. :P

I am going with:

Olenna Tyrell
Tywin Lannister
Tyrion Lannister
Jorah Mormont
The Hound

Daenerys and Arya just missed the cut.
I'd find it hard to narrow it down to 5. The Wire is the only other show I can think of with this many great characters. I think yours is a pretty good list though, with Davos, Ned and Tormund honourable mentions. A few other good ones not on the list - Oberyn Martell, Beric Dondarrion, Jeor Mormont and Hodor.
Whoaaaahh, ohhh, ohhhhh. Whoaaaahh, ohhhhh, ohhhhhh. Waaah, ahhh, haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaowwwwww

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2019, 09:03:33 PM »
I went with my gut reaction because I love so many of these characters, so much.

Ned Stark
Cersei Lannister
Tyrion Lannister
Theon Greyjoy
Sandor Clegane

Ned for his pure nobility and honor and the wisdom he imparted on his children, and sheer love for his family, including Jon. Cersei for her intelligence, ruthlessness, cunning, and overall complexity; I believe she is my single favorite character in the series. Tyrion for his likability and how he's risen up against everything life has thrown at him, and how he always just wanted to do the right thing by the end. Theon for an absolutely amazing redemption arc from arguably the lowest any character has ever been. Sandor for his cynical but realistic and human take on the world, his disdain for knighthood and all that, how he protects the Stark girls, and some of the funniest (if not intentionally funny) lines in the show.
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2019, 12:08:19 AM »
Arya (her overall story arc is my favourite of the show)
Tywin
Tyrion
The Hound
Olenna

Davos just misses the cut.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2019, 02:38:15 AM »
I have a soft spot in my heart for cripples, bastards, and broken things.

Well, not literally, but my top three has always been, in alphabetical order:

Arya, the little tough girl who wouldn't be intimidated by anyone and learnt to grow more cunning and ruthless whenever the world threw adversities at her;

Dany, the young girl brutalized by her brother that needed advice on how to pleasure a man, and that got three motherf'kin dragons starting her quest to reclaim her family's legacy;

Tyrion, the man shunned and despised by everyone that was more intelligent, more witty and more suited for ruling that almost everyone else.

The additional two votes I gave them to Olenna, the awesome sassy queen of thorns who didn't take shit from anyone, and Davos, a good honest man who represented the average westerosi full of common sense.

Honorable mentions to that magnificent asshole of Tywin, to Sandor "King of Chikens" Clegane, poor nerd Samwell, Jon (basically the hero) and Jaimie post hand chopping.

And sorry Kattelox, but I don't think Cersei was intelligent at all. She knew how to play the game, yes. But she was petty, vindicative to the border of psychosis (for all the justifications for Dany's turn, is it justified to abort your own child, and letting your brother knock you up instead, because the drunk king on the wedding night called out another's name? and hold on to a lifelong hatred for that?), needlessly arrogant to everyone (how about some diplomacy rather than insulting everyone who talks to you, even Margaery?), and utterly incapable of taming Joffrey. Tywin doesn't consider her intelligent and sorry, I'll trust Tywin's judgement. I wouldn't really call intelligent allying yourself with a bunch of religious fanatics just to spite a younger and more beautiful woman while these fanatics count among their ranks the cousin with whom you commited incest and planned regicide.

She is a great character, I realize that, and Lena Headey was more than fantastic in the role. I understand her nuances and I don't find strange or weird at all that people might be fascinated by her. But sorry, I hate Cersei with a passion and I enjoyed her walk of shame just as much as I enjoyed watching Joffrey choke to death.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2019, 04:27:38 AM »
Hey that's totally fair. There are a hundred reasons to despise Cersei. That's partially why I like her.   :lol
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.

Online Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2019, 04:30:30 AM »
Tyrion Lannister
Daenerys Targaryen
Jon Snow
Margaery Tyrell
The Night King
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2019, 04:39:48 AM »
Hey that's totally fair. There are a hundred reasons to despise Cersei. That's partially why I like her.   :lol

Yeah, that's in the end what's so good about her: that you can despise her, and yet realize why people can be fascinated by her  :coolio
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2019, 04:51:25 AM »
I'm sure she's different in the books, and I'm under no illusions that Cersei just got plain lucky in some circumstances (most obviously being that Robert got killed and Ned got captured before her incestuous secrets could be made public knowledge), but I dunno - at least from the show, I think she played the game fairly well. Not perfectly obviously, and perhaps 'intelligent' is the wrong word, maybe I should just stick with 'cunning.' Or scheming. Either way, I love her, I love that primal lust for vengeance she has in her character and I think Lena Headey's acting is a huge reason I love the character so much. Those condescending, laughing smirks she gives particularly in the early seasons, oh man. Just a fascinating character from start to finish in my opinion.

I wish Tywin had lived longer.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #11 on: May 24, 2019, 04:54:21 AM »
oberyn martell
tywin lannister

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #12 on: May 24, 2019, 05:05:30 AM »
Either way, I love her, I love that primal lust for vengeance she has in her character and I think Lena Headey's acting is a huge reason I love the character so much. Those condescending, laughing smirks she gives particularly in the early seasons, oh man.

Oh yeah, the way her mouth phyisically posed, with the lower lip being a bit forward and exposing the teeth in a contained but seething utter disgust for anyone that was facing her.... absolutely brilliant. Lena was beyond fantastic, she created a hateful character for the ages.

And when I was doing my rewatch of season 2 I forgot how glorious was her attitude during the battle of Blackwater. Everyone fighting for their lives, the women scared in the Red Keep, and Cersei was drunk out of her skull trolling Sansa about using what's between a woman's legs and Illian Payne being there to kill them all if needed. It was fantastic and unintended comic relief  :lol

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #13 on: May 24, 2019, 07:23:28 AM »
In no particular order:

Ned Stark
Tyrion Lannister
Jon Snow
Tywin Lannister
Davos Seaworth

"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #14 on: May 24, 2019, 09:03:33 AM »
I'm sure she's different in the books, and I'm under no illusions that Cersei just got plain lucky in some circumstances (most obviously being that Robert got killed and Ned got captured before her incestuous secrets could be made public knowledge), but I dunno - at least from the show, I think she played the game fairly well. Not perfectly obviously, and perhaps 'intelligent' is the wrong word, maybe I should just stick with 'cunning.' Or scheming. Either way, I love her, I love that primal lust for vengeance she has in her character and I think Lena Headey's acting is a huge reason I love the character so much. Those condescending, laughing smirks she gives particularly in the early seasons, oh man. Just a fascinating character from start to finish in my opinion.

That wasn't luck so much as it was stupidity on Ned's part for warning her what he was going to do. 

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #15 on: May 24, 2019, 09:58:25 AM »

That wasn't luck so much as it was stupidity on Ned's part for warning her what he was going to do.

That's true, but when I said lucky, I was thinking specifically of Robert being mortally wounded in the hunt, since even though she allegedly orchestrated it in order to put Joffrey on the throne, there's really no way she could be sure he'd be fatally injured... Of course I haven't reached this part in the book yet so I don't know if there's more proof that she did it than is in the show, but I should be getting there tomorrow.

Kinda surprised I'm the only vote for Cersei so far!

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #16 on: May 24, 2019, 01:20:42 PM »
Tyrion
Davos
Varys
Sam
Bronn

Honorable mention to Olenna
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Offline ZirconBlue

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #17 on: May 24, 2019, 01:33:54 PM »
No Dolorous Edd?

Offline pg1067

« Reply #18 on: May 24, 2019, 03:46:46 PM »
Arya, Tyrion and Jon Snow were the three I selected immediately.  The others I chose were Cersei and Olenna Tyrell, but I really could have picked 4-5 others.

I literally had to google who "Hot Pie" was.   :lol
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #19 on: May 24, 2019, 07:21:22 PM »
Arya, Tyrion, Night King, Davos, and Pod, who is missing from the list.

Offline Mladen

« Reply #20 on: May 25, 2019, 03:26:22 AM »
Ned Stark
Tyrion Lannister
Samwell Tarly
Arya Stark

The fifth one was a coin toss between Sandor "The Hound" Clegane and Petyr "Littlefinger" Baelish, but I went with the former. I was also considering Stannis Baratheon. I think Master Aemon would have gotten my fifth vote if he were in the poll.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #21 on: June 03, 2019, 12:33:19 PM »
Davos Seaworth having the 3rd most votes is not something I saw coming.

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #22 on: June 03, 2019, 12:35:24 PM »
I'm more surprised at Daenerys getting only four votes.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #23 on: June 03, 2019, 12:41:51 PM »

She just missed the cut for me.  I do wonder if she would have gotten more votes before this final season.

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #24 on: June 03, 2019, 12:43:31 PM »
Her turn was so sudden and, to quote Emilia Clarke, "came out of f'kin nowhere" that I didn't even take it into consideration in my judgement of her. And well, probably a tragic, coherent and sympathetic fall from grace could have made me like her even more.

Online chknptpie

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #25 on: June 03, 2019, 04:25:30 PM »
I feel Lady Mormont was sadly missing from this list.

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #26 on: June 04, 2019, 09:04:52 AM »
Stannis, Ned, Tywin, Tyrion &Olenna

Honorable mention to the High Sparrow and Olly. Never got the hate

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #27 on: June 04, 2019, 09:13:20 AM »
Honorable mention to the High Sparrow and Olly. Never got the hate

Jonathan Pryce's charisma was the saving grace of the High Sparrow, the character itself was just a fanatical and hypocrite asshole. They consider everyone equal before the gods, but "casually" they target the noblity and the powerful.

Olly's story was more tragic, since he was a little scared kid, orphaned by the wildlings, who knew no better and fell in with the wrong crowd. He's a Joffrey or a Draco Malfoy, young and raised with wrong ideas. And Olly was probably the least asshole of the three but he killed Ygritte AND Jon so screw him  ;D

Online Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
« Reply #28 on: June 04, 2019, 09:36:10 AM »

I started disliking her in season 7, when she reached Westeros.  That's really when her turn started and it only ramped up quickly to a climax in the final season.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #29 on: June 04, 2019, 10:07:30 AM »
Olly sucked and I'm glad he died the way he did.  :lol

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #30 on: June 04, 2019, 01:30:05 PM »

I started disliking her in season 7, when she reached Westeros.  That's really when her turn started and it only ramped up quickly to a climax in the final season.

I don't know, she did have that former slave killed who had killed a former master, and that was back in, what, season 3 or 4?  So hard to remember sometimes. :lol :lol

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #31 on: June 04, 2019, 01:59:27 PM »
Jon
Tyrion
Bronn
The Hound
Davos

Would have voted Joffrey, sure he was evil but damn he was entertaining to watch.  It was like a love/hate moment when he died.  You know an actor did a good job when they draw such strong negative emotions out of you and he did that.  Absolutely loved him and would have picked him in this list.  Not sure why he wasn't an option and the Night King is.

Offline Ninjabait

• XBOX is a God to Me
  • PR permission
« Reply #32 on: June 04, 2019, 03:16:06 PM »
I only ever bothered to watch the first two seasons, but the characters I remember liking quite a bit were Tyrion, Arya, and Sam. Most of the characters were just such awful people, as far as I can remember.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #33 on: June 04, 2019, 03:25:02 PM »
I only ever bothered to watch the first two seasons, but the characters I remember liking quite a bit were Tyrion, Arya, and Sam. Most of the characters were just such awful people, as far as I can remember.

That's why my wife tapped out sometime toward the end of season 3 or during season 4.  She even wrote lyrics for the theme song:  "Mean people doing mean things to mean people."
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #34 on: June 04, 2019, 03:26:54 PM »
Would have voted Joffrey, sure he was evil but damn he was entertaining to watch.  It was like a love/hate moment when he died.  You know an actor did a good job when they draw such strong negative emotions out of you and he did that.

I remember with each season ending I thought "damn, Joffrey's still alive, not fair". I just couldn't stand the little prick and every episode he didn't die was a wasted episode for me. I guess this is also a compliment in a way (and Jack Gleeson deserves all the praise he can get), but I really, REALLY wanted to see the annoying fucker dead ASAP  :lol I guess that was the entire point for many hehe!