Author Topic: Barry (HBO show)  (Read 7167 times)

Online nick_z

Re: Barry (HBO show)
« Reply #70 on: May 01, 2023, 07:52:36 AM »
Yep, generally agree...also, what happened with Gene was especially...dark...even for this show? I guess we'll find out.

Also, do you guys think the end of the episode was a genuine flash-forward, or some sort of a "dream" sequence?

Online gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #71 on: May 01, 2023, 08:31:21 AM »
Also, do you guys think the end of the episode was a genuine flash-forward, or some sort of a "dream" sequence?

I was wondering that as well. I can see it being totally legit…..although….the orientation/“how” that house looked was extremely odd. I get that if it were a legit fast forward that they’d have lived a secretive life but it just looked weird.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline contest_sanity

« Reply #72 on: May 01, 2023, 01:34:02 PM »
I believe it's a genuine flash-forward, as I was reading an interview with Bill Hader talking about how he wanted to end the show with an exploration of what it would be like if some of these characters finally got what they think they really wanted, in Barry's case that being a life with Sally -- though I assume if the last few episodes do indeed go that route, we're gonna see how even their "ideal" outcomes are supremely fucked up.

Such a great show!

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #73 on: May 01, 2023, 01:41:31 PM »
I believe it's a genuine flash-forward, as I was reading an interview with Bill Hader talking about how he wanted to end the show with an exploration of what it would be like if some of these characters finally got what they think they really wanted, in Barry's case that being a life with Sally -- though I assume if the last few episodes do indeed go that route, we're gonna see how even their "ideal" outcomes are supremely fucked up.

Such a great show!

Sally looked extremely disappointed and worn down so.....could be legit. She doesn't seem like a character that could ever really attain any type of happiness anyway.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #74 on: May 01, 2023, 05:17:49 PM »
Another home run of an episode. This show never fails to deliver.

I laughed out loud hard at the start when the cop cars came to a screeching halt in front of Gene's house and one ran into the other, resulting in a "Jesus fucking Christ, you guys" from one of the cops.  :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin

Online nick_z

« Reply #75 on: May 08, 2023, 10:16:21 AM »
Well, last night's episode was kinda weird, even for this show's standards  ;)

Online The Realm

« Reply #76 on: May 08, 2023, 04:10:34 PM »
Yeah, I agree. It was very weird. A couple of bits I liked but overall this episode was a big miss for me. I am all for a show going in an unexpected direction but this just felt really off to me and not true to the characters.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2023, 03:13:10 PM by The Realm »

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #77 on: May 08, 2023, 05:32:57 PM »
Strange episode, yes, but I suspect it will work a lot better once we see how it all plays out.

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #78 on: May 08, 2023, 09:36:38 PM »
Strange episode, yes, but I suspect it will work a lot better once we see how it all plays out.

Yeah…..I’m sure it’ll tie in nicely.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #79 on: May 09, 2023, 10:50:02 AM »
Caught up on the latest two episodes, the previous episode was fantastic.  Felt like so much happened and poor Noho Hank.

For the recent episode, I kept thinking for sure that was a dream, it just seemed so off, but I guess it really was the future.  Honestly felt extremely bored the entire episode with it.  I'm sure I'm missing the small things that would make it interesting, but I just felt like this dream/fast forward was so odd and uninteresting besides a few comedic moments.  After an awesome first 4 episodes to the final season, I'm worried this ending is going to suck now. Hope not.

Online faizoff

« Reply #80 on: May 14, 2023, 11:32:10 AM »
I'm a sucker for strange off-beat episodes and that last one didn't disappoint. Very interesting to see the time skip ahead and the whole episode had a Better Call Saul vibe with events set in the future. Looking forward to tonight's episode as well.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Online nick_z

« Reply #81 on: May 15, 2023, 11:39:18 AM »
Last night's episode was a little more in line with what you'd expect from the show, but maybe again falling a bit short of its usual brilliance. I feel, at the end of the day, this forward jump is not offering a particularly clever development of the story...it's just...well...8 years have passed and they've been in hiding? And now a movie is threatening that?

I did find Barry's scanning for a podcast that would justify what he wanted to do pretty funny, though  ;D

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #82 on: May 15, 2023, 07:26:30 PM »
That was Bill Burr on the last podcast playing the pastor who seemed to convince Barry that what he was doing was morally correct. I recognized his voice instantly.

Also, did anyone notice that Barry was clean shaven at the end when face to face with Mr. Moss?  He had a lot of facial hair before being captured, so I suspect the time line is fuzzy with that sequence at the end, unless Moss decided to shave Barry when he was out.  :lol :lol

Online nick_z

« Reply #83 on: May 16, 2023, 05:39:59 AM »

Also, did anyone notice that Barry was clean shaven at the end when face to face with Mr. Moss?  He had a lot of facial hair before being captured, so I suspect the time line is fuzzy with that sequence at the end, unless Moss decided to shave Barry when he was out.  :lol :lol

Yes! My wife and I both noticed it as the scene opened…I wouldn’t put it past Moss to have done that :lol

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #84 on: May 16, 2023, 06:22:33 AM »
I thought it was interesting as well that Sally's hallucination featured the voice of that guy at the diner from last week (the one she nearly strangled as they were kissing) and had the dialogue of the motorcycle guy she beat to death at the end of Season 3. 

As I do not think Barry himself survives the series, watch it be Sally who ends up killing him.

Online faizoff

« Reply #85 on: May 16, 2023, 06:56:22 AM »
That was Bill Burr on the last podcast playing the pastor who seemed to convince Barry that what he was doing was morally correct. I recognized his voice instantly.

Bill Burr's cameo was great, his voice is so recognizable and his podcast was hilarious. Hader needing validation from whichever pastor allowed him to kill was great lol.

I didn't notice the change in Hader's appearance in the end, I went back and watched and it is indeed two different appearances, possibly different timelines?
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #86 on: May 16, 2023, 08:08:44 AM »
Last night's episode was a little more in line with what you'd expect from the show, but maybe again falling a bit short of its usual brilliance. I feel, at the end of the day, this forward jump is not offering a particularly clever development of the story...it's just...well...8 years have passed and they've been in hiding? And now a movie is threatening that?

I did find Barry's scanning for a podcast that would justify what he wanted to do pretty funny, though  ;D

I mostly agree that this episode went right back into the Barry show we know.  I guess the 8 year gap is what they felt appropriate to finish the story.  I don't love it (you'd know it if you read how I felt after the previous episode) but I do think this episode helped rectify what I thought could be a shit ending.  I actually thought the episode was very strong considering the time jump.  I think the only thing I didn't like was how predictable that ending was, but it does make sense and it's tying things in together for the final episodes.

I thought it was interesting as well that Sally's hallucination featured the voice of that guy at the diner from last week (the one she nearly strangled as they were kissing) and had the dialogue of the motorcycle guy she beat to death at the end of Season 3. 

I didn't catch those but that makes a lot of sense.  I still find her story the most annoying of all, but it's well written and portrayed so I just have to attribute that to incredible team running this show.

Also  :lol at the podcast and the tattoos

Online The Realm

« Reply #87 on: May 16, 2023, 03:12:18 PM »
Really not so sure where this is all going after these last 2 episodes. It kind of feels like the show is just rushing to the end and the time jump still feels really jarring to me, especially in relation to Barry himself. Will reserve full judgement until the series is complete.

I kind of find it hard to believe that 8 years later, Mr. Moss is just waiting around for Barry to show up but I guess that is all he has in his life now.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #88 on: May 16, 2023, 03:21:10 PM »
Really not so sure where this is all going after these last 2 episodes. It kind of feels like the show is just rushing to the end and the time jump still feels really jarring to me, especially in relation to Barry himself. Will reserve full judgement until the series is complete.

I kind of find it hard to believe that 8 years later, Mr. Moss is just waiting around for Barry to show up but I guess that is all he has in his life now.

The argument could be made that Moss started watching Gene again once he heard he was back in town, but it could also be chalked up as being so absurd that it actually works, a plot device this show has down to science. 

Plus, we still don't know if it was Moss who grabbed Barry at the end (the ending shot of Moss and Barry face to face could have been from eight years earlier).

Online The Realm

« Reply #89 on: May 16, 2023, 04:07:25 PM »

The argument could be made that Moss started watching Gene again once he heard he was back in town, but it could also be chalked up as being so absurd that it actually works, a plot device this show has down to science. 

Plus, we still don't know if it was Moss who grabbed Barry at the end (the ending shot of Moss and Barry face to face could have been from eight years earlier).

OK, yeah I guess that is right. I probably didn't think of that, is probably best to just wait and see how it all plays out.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #90 on: May 17, 2023, 08:24:52 AM »
Mr. Moss waiting around makes a ton of sense to me considering he showed how hardcore he was about it previously although it's also true that he could have just showed back up with Cousinou returned which also makes a lot of sense.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #91 on: May 22, 2023, 06:06:24 AM »
I will have to re-watch last night's episode again.  Very interesting. That will suck hard if Gene ends up going down for something he didn't do, and the rocket scene with Hank and his cohort was classic Barry.  :lol :lol

And I cannot decide if Sarah Goldberg is more attractive as a blonde or with the dark hair (I think she is extremely attractive in general, as I am a sucker for a gorgeous smile).

Online faizoff

« Reply #92 on: May 22, 2023, 06:15:55 AM »
So the ending of last episode with Barry's inconsistent beard and clothes was a non-issue and something just lost in the continuity I suppose. I like the setup for the finale, should be good. Three shows having series finale next week (Barry, Succession & The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel), four if you count the mini-series Love & Death.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #93 on: May 22, 2023, 06:17:17 AM »
So the ending of last episode with Barry's inconsistent beard and clothes was a non-issue and something just lost in the continuity I suppose. 

True. That surprised me a little, but I won't dwell on it.

I am really gonna miss this show when it ends.  I just love everything about it.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #94 on: May 23, 2023, 10:04:43 AM »
Three shows having series finale next week (Barry, Succession & The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel), four if you count the mini-series Love & Death.

With the HBO shows coming to an end on Sunday, it's no surprise HBO is making sure people change to the new app before Sunday  :lol

Thought the episode was good and how it's all turning around to make it look like Cousinuea is kind of funny.  Of course I don't want him to pay the price for Barry's killings but it is great how it has been spun around to look like that including the Raven being a thing now  :lol

Online The Realm

« Reply #95 on: May 23, 2023, 03:23:02 PM »
Latest episode of Barry was great and a return to form. Looking forward to the finale.

Online faizoff

« Reply #96 on: May 23, 2023, 08:23:38 PM »

With the HBO shows coming to an end on Sunday, it's no surprise HBO is making sure people change to the new app before Sunday  :lol

This rebranding from HBO to HBO Max to Max is weird. Lot of content change I'm assuming too.

Offline DoctorAction

• Everyday Glory
« Reply #97 on: May 28, 2023, 04:12:28 PM »
Have watched all of this over the last month or so and it looks like tomorrow will be the last episode!

Have stayed away from this thread in fear of spoilerd but what a great show!

Again, for fear of spoilers, I've not googled it either. I wonder what the inspiration behind it is. I mainly feel it must be a love letter to acting. I love the crazy humour of it. Hank and Fuches have been consistently hilarious but the main affection in the show seems to be with Gene and Sally, for all their flaws.

Another thing that really stuck out as beautifully done was Hank and Cristobal. Very sweet.
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #98 on: May 28, 2023, 08:56:02 PM »
Wow indeed. Gotta digest this a bit….

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #99 on: May 28, 2023, 09:09:39 PM »
Wow.

Gene with the most horrible ending possible.

I need a re-watch and time to comprehend what I just saw.

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #100 on: May 28, 2023, 09:32:43 PM »
Wow.

Gene with the most horrible ending possible.

I need a re-watch and time to comprehend what I just saw.

Yeah. Gotta rewatch this episode for sure. And, rethink everything Gene’s character did and went through to contemplate if his arc was ‘deserved’

Online faizoff

« Reply #101 on: May 28, 2023, 11:15:29 PM »
Wow is right! lol Excellent wrapup to the show. Poor Gene got fucked every which way.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #102 on: May 29, 2023, 05:25:26 AM »
Anyone else catch the Breaking Bad moment with Fuches and Barry?  Fuches' nod to Barry like, "we're good now," was totally reminiscent of the one Walt gave to Jesse at the end of the last BB right before Jesse got in the El Camino and raced out of the compound.

Gene's desperation to be a star bit him in the butt. From his one-man show to falling for the fake agent's story and calling Barry a sympathetic character, he unwittingly sealed his own fate.

I also liked that Barry didn't get an epic death scene.  It was just boom you're dead.  That is all a cold-blooded killer like him deserved.

Offline axeman90210

• Official Minister of Awesome, and Veronica knows my name!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #103 on: May 29, 2023, 08:03:30 AM »
Overall a good finale. Stephen Root and Anthony Carrigan were masterful in that scene at the Nohobal offices. The little post script after Barry got shot was kind of an odd way to end the whole series though.
Photobucket sucks.

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #104 on: May 29, 2023, 08:05:36 AM »
Yea. Odd ending. Not sure how I feel about it after Barry died.
fanticide.bandcamp.com