Author Topic: Ted Lasso (Apple TV) Discussion Thread  (Read 5408 times)

Offline DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: Ted Lasso (Apple TV) Discussion Thread
« Reply #70 on: May 24, 2023, 09:58:25 AM »
‘Get on your bikes and ride!’ 😉 👍
...going along with Dragon Attack's Queen thread has been like taking a free class in Queen knowledge. Where else are you gonna find info like that?!

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #71 on: May 24, 2023, 08:19:33 PM »
I wasn't prepared for that episode.  That scene with Ted and his mom near the end...if that scene didn't get to you a little, you might be dead inside.

And yeah, the writing is on the wall.  Richmond will win next week and Ted will stun the team by telling them afterwards that he is quitting to go back to America. Beard will return as well, and Nate will be back in place as an assistant with Roy being the head coach.

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #72 on: May 24, 2023, 08:24:53 PM »
You think Roy huh? I say Nate as Head Coach with Roy as assistant still. Either way……it appears that they’ve set it up for that scenario…..Ted going out on top and Nate’s arc completed.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #73 on: May 24, 2023, 08:29:13 PM »
Yeah, Nate is more of a number 2 than a number 1.  Plus, with hints that the show could possibly go on or spin off without Sudeikis, Roy as the head coach is far more interesting and just makes more sense, not to mention that Roy is too much of an alpha to let Nate come back and leapfrog him.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #74 on: May 25, 2023, 07:12:56 AM »
Granted I haven't watched this season, but Roy "He's here, he's there, he's every-fucking-where" Kent is infinitely more interesting to me than Nate.  Nate's a little p----, IMO, and I'm not a huge "redemption" guy, so...

Offline soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #75 on: May 25, 2023, 09:32:37 AM »
Pretty good episode. I’m assuming this will be the last season with how that ended and what he most likely is going to tell Rebecca. I’ll wait to comment further after more have watched.

Was that the last episode in the season?  Or are there more coming (I'm waiting until they are all out).

Yeah....one more next week. But honestly, it's set up nice and neat to be a series finale. The way it ended, it very much appears like he's going to leave the club and go back home because of missing his son.....Nate is coming back to Richmond, so....he's the perfect candidate to take over as head coach....and, the team is set up if they win their last game then they win the whole league. so....what's to do after that?

European Cup.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #76 on: May 25, 2023, 10:08:36 AM »
Pretty good episode. I’m assuming this will be the last season with how that ended and what he most likely is going to tell Rebecca. I’ll wait to comment further after more have watched.

Was that the last episode in the season?  Or are there more coming (I'm waiting until they are all out).

Yeah....one more next week. But honestly, it's set up nice and neat to be a series finale. The way it ended, it very much appears like he's going to leave the club and go back home because of missing his son.....Nate is coming back to Richmond, so....he's the perfect candidate to take over as head coach....and, the team is set up if they win their last game then they win the whole league. so....what's to do after that?

European Cup.

I meant more story wise. IF they do indeed have Ted's team win it all....that's him achieving a goal and moving on. That's the 'perfect' ending. Sure, you can then try to jump leagues or whatever and try to go win that.....but as far as the show....there really isn't much left to explore.

If they do spinn off then maybe they dig more into Jamie and his dads relationship.....Rebecca moving forward and what not....but, Ted Lasso 'was' the reason for the show and is what makes the show. Maybe they make a spin off work but it doesn't sound appealing to me.

Offline XJDenton

• What a shame
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #77 on: May 25, 2023, 11:00:26 AM »
Roy and Nate move to America to coach American football.
"For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for nature cannot be fooled." - Richard Feynman

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #78 on: May 30, 2023, 11:19:55 PM »
A satisfying and mostly expected finale. I couldn't wait so I watched it when Apple put it up at 11pm. Didn't want spoilers.

A few moments when I had to try and man-up. They brought the feels a few times.
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Offline DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #79 on: May 31, 2023, 08:02:58 AM »
Forgot that the new one dropped last night, so a bit behind the game.  I posted this in my Queen discography yesterday.

Near the end of the penultimate 'Ted Lasso' episode was a song called 'Fought & Lost' by Sam Ryder.

Not played was the instrumental and an additional chorus.  The full version includes the unmistakable 'Red Special' and Brian on BVs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xtQBKRgmyVc

The single was released last week.

There were other 'Queen' bits through the show:  of Rebeccah's uncle having attended Ealing College with Freddie Mercury, of 'Fat Bottomed Girls' having been suggested years earlier as a Richmond fight song (though 'Don't Stop Me Now' would have made more sense), and then the playing of FBG as the team departs after their big win over Manchester City.  Made a fun episode even more enjoyable in this household.

Another tidbit that the wife came across:  supposedly Freddie was supposed to be listed as a past part owner of Richmond, but 'someone' (Mary Austin ?, Queen Productions ?) objected to the picture that was to be used, so Elton John ended up being the one.   :facepalm:
...going along with Dragon Attack's Queen thread has been like taking a free class in Queen knowledge. Where else are you gonna find info like that?!

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #80 on: May 31, 2023, 12:10:52 PM »
Nice episode to close out the series, usually not a fan of the 'happily ever after' type endings but the post script scenes they showed of how it all turned out made sense and worked.....good for those involved in producing the show to realize the story had run its course and they buttoned that thing up nicely. Certainly left some wiggle room for a future spin off or even future season maybe with a solid time jump....but....all in all pretty good series.

Offline chknptpie

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #81 on: May 31, 2023, 02:29:06 PM »
This show is a like a nice, warm hug.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #82 on: May 31, 2023, 07:14:30 PM »
Like much of the season, the finale seemed just a bit off, but there were still some really nice moments.

Overall, too many big moments this season happened off screen to where we had fill in the blanks, but sometimes we need to see those scenes for the outcome to really feel earned.  And far too often, it didn't. 

I will still call this an all-timer for me off the strength alone of the first two seasons, but this last season prevents it from being top tier. 

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #83 on: May 31, 2023, 08:53:35 PM »
I will still call this an all-timer for me off the strength alone of the first two seasons, but this last season prevents it from being top tier.

Agreed. Very good and fun show......Maybe two 16 episode seasons would have been the way to go with it....but, all in all it was a great series to watch.

And....nice call on Roy Kent being the next Coach  :tup I thought they'd go the Nate route but Roy makes just as much, if not more sense.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #84 on: June 01, 2023, 06:13:22 AM »

Agreed. Very good and fun show......Maybe two 16 episode seasons would have been the way to go with it....but, all in all it was a great series to watch.

And....nice call on Roy Kent being the next Coach  :tup I thought they'd go the Nate route but Roy makes just as much, if not more sense.

The way Nate's whole story was handled was just weird.  He quit Rupert's squad out of nowhere. And then in the finale, he is now working again for Richmond like nothing happened without even really talking to Ted first.  Very strange.  Considering how Nate's turn was a pivotal moment at the end of Season 2 (the reveal that he was the new coach of West Ham was literally the last shot of the season), for the turn back to be handled so carelessly and so many key moments glossed over and/or not even shown was a mark of how inconsistent the writing was this third season.

Again though, Seasons 1 and 2 were beyond amazing (so much that I bought a Ted Lasso hoodie!  :lol :biggrin:), so I still have much love for it as a whole.  I just found Season 3 to be a bit underwhelming.