Author Topic: The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel (Amazon)  (Read 3412 times)

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel (Amazon)
« on: December 05, 2017, 08:42:42 AM »
Anyone watching this?

Offline faizoff

Re: The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel (Amazon)
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2018, 08:58:21 PM »
Wife and I finished this show. Holy shit, this show is hilarious as hell. My wife is a huge Gilmore Girls fan so she wanted to check this out and I've been meaning to as well, seeing as the lead character had a role in House of Cards.

Very well written and the production value is through the roof. Acting is amazing by Rachel and the 50s setting is really well done.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2018, 05:59:15 AM »
I'm glad someone else gave this one a shot. I was genuinely surprised at how much I enjoyed this show. We've actually watched the first season twice now.

Offline ChuckSteak

« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2018, 01:47:22 PM »
It's a very good tv-series. Looking forward to season 2.

Offline Shooters1221

« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2018, 05:29:40 AM »
Great show! A ton of dialogue that's so quick that I had to re watch some of those scenes to catch it. Great music throughout too.

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2018, 08:17:32 AM »
I'm bored at work so after reading this thread I popped by Amazon and fired up the first episode. Holy shit!

"...and yes, there is shrimp in the eggrolls!" [screeches of horror as a bunch of yarmulke wearing men stand and sprint for the exit.]  :rollin
"Religion poisons everything” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2018, 12:46:38 PM »
God, there is some great acting in this show. Alex Borstein as Susie is hilarious! How did I not know about this show before?

Offline faizoff

« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2018, 01:05:32 PM »
I completely get the reaction, this show is downright hilarious and is along the lines of an R rated version of Gilmore Girls. All the characters are great and so well written. I like also how, at least to me, the story could easily have gone down a cliched path but instead kept me guessing where it was headed. Didn't feel like they took the safe route at all.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2018, 09:03:49 AM »
I ended up finishing season one that very same night I started watching. I'm going to watch it again with Mrs. P when she returns from Philly.

Offline ChuckSteak

« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2018, 09:06:56 AM »
And Rachel Brosnahan =

Offline CrimsonSunrise

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2018, 03:28:45 PM »
3 episodes in and LOVING it.  Love the era!

Offline Shooters1221

« Reply #11 on: December 05, 2018, 01:15:04 AM »
Just bumping now that season 2 is up. Hope it's as good as season 1.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #12 on: December 05, 2018, 12:59:20 PM »
Haven't started this one yet.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #13 on: December 05, 2018, 01:25:17 PM »
I know what I'm doing with my Friday night  :corn

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #14 on: December 07, 2018, 02:59:53 PM »
I watched the first episode of season two a couple of nights ago. Way too early to judge this season, but I wasn't blown away like I was with the first episode of season one. We'll see, I guess.

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #15 on: December 07, 2018, 03:10:32 PM »
Being that I am a huge Gilmore Girls fan, and of Amy Sherman-Palladino, this is on my radar. Need to get around to it eventually.
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Offline faizoff

« Reply #16 on: December 16, 2018, 04:47:38 PM »
Finished season two last night. I thought it was even more hilarious than the first one. Production values were through the roof, I loved how they utilized Tony Shalhoub this season. He was more or less background the first season but they really wrote him well this time round, I just wished they continued to use Midge's mom the same way. She was great in the first couple of episodes but then kinda dropped off.

Still an amazing season and great send off in the end with a nice setup for season three. I'm already craving for season three.

Offline DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #17 on: December 24, 2018, 07:26:15 PM »
Thanks to the recent bump of this thread, we started watching last week.  I'm chiming in without reading other posts, having now made it through five episodes, just to say 'thank you'.

It is deserving of the awards that it has won. 
...going along with Dragon Attack's Queen thread has been like taking a free class in Queen knowledge. Where else are you gonna find info like that?!

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #18 on: December 26, 2018, 06:28:51 AM »
We finished season 2 last night. Goddammit, I want season 3 right now!  :lol What a finale! So many changes in the wind.

*KINDA SPOILERY* But not really

That was a great second season! I think the writers and producers must have realized that Midge's brand of comedy would start to become too familiar to the viewer and were brilliant to make the show about so much more. Paris, vacation in the Catskills, and the telethon were awesome! Mrs. P says that she was most surprised (and pleased) by Joel's redemption story.

Once again, this is Alex Borstein and Rachel Brosnahan's show, but I agree that Tony Shalhoub really shined this season, and for a brief but glorious (too few) episodes, so did Marin Hinkle!

Okay, that was a lot of exclamation points. Sorry guys. I love this show.

Offline faizoff

« Reply #19 on: December 26, 2018, 06:43:26 AM »
Agreed on all points. I love how they expanded a lot of the characters this season. Joel's arc was great too, I'm glad they didn't just do the easy route and make him the cliched jerk.

Offline DTA

« Reply #20 on: January 14, 2019, 05:54:13 AM »
This was a good show. I liked it way more than I expected to. Susie is one of my favorite supporting characters in recent memory.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #21 on: January 03, 2020, 08:01:49 AM »
In the middle of season 2.  Hot damn I love this series.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #22 on: January 03, 2020, 08:20:46 AM »
Season 2 was fucking fantastic. One of the best seasons of any show I've watched in recent memory. Season 3 was really great as well!

Offline faizoff

« Reply #23 on: January 03, 2020, 10:50:05 AM »
Yup loved season 3 too, this show is a goldmine. Every episode was great, even though there weren't crazy stakes at play in season 3, it was very satisfying and hilarious as usual.

Offline DTA

« Reply #24 on: January 04, 2020, 06:43:53 AM »
Season 3 was excellent but I started to get really tired of the excessive singing segments from Shy every episode.

Offline faizoff

« Reply #25 on: May 06, 2023, 09:58:31 PM »
Show is coming to an end with season 5. The final season has some of the best everything so far. Episode 6 is probably my favorite episode in the entire series, so wonderfully structured and unveiled. I've enjoyed every single season of the show and love that the dynamics keep changing with every season. The comedy has been top notch from the main characters so far. Been a perfect final season so far.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #26 on: May 07, 2023, 05:35:29 AM »
mrs.jingle and I haven't had the time to load this one back up yet.  Looking forward to doing so.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #27 on: May 07, 2023, 07:45:49 AM »
I'm sad it's ending. What a well written  and well acted show.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #28 on: May 23, 2023, 07:35:21 AM »
I'm finally caught up on this show after taking a bit of a break. Season 4 was an absolute masterpiece. One of the best seasons of any show I've seen Season 5 has been solid too. Episode 8 seemed to tee us up for a gut punch.   

Did Abe kill himself?

Offline faizoff

« Reply #29 on: May 25, 2023, 09:06:44 PM »

Wonderful amazing and marvelous ending to a series and my favorite season of the show. The writing was top notch, jokes were plenty and all so well put together, it was one of the best entire final season of any show. It was typically heartwarming and a great sendoff, I loved the mix of different timelines with some incomplete stories where you could piece together the missing parts.

I'm finally caught up on this show after taking a bit of a break. Season 4 was an absolute masterpiece. One of the best seasons of any show I've seen Season 5 has been solid too. Episode 8 seemed to tee us up for a gut punch.   

Did Abe kill himself?
What makes you think this part? I got the impression he was self reflective and seeing his grand daughter's talents on the piano sparked that whole inner retrospection of was he holding his daughter back somehow. Unless you're referring to something else. I never got that feeling at any point.

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #30 on: May 27, 2023, 06:36:18 AM »
Wasn't Abe in the future wedding stuff? Am I misremembering that? When Midge is in Hawaii and wants Susie to cancel the wedding? Could've sworn both parents were there.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline faizoff

« Reply #31 on: May 27, 2023, 10:50:31 AM »
Yeah they both were there in that scene. In one of the flash forward scene Midge is vaguely referring to her mom's condition which I'm assuming was a Cancer diagnosis.

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #32 on: May 29, 2023, 06:45:50 PM »
I went back and rewatched. I had fallen asleep and missed a huge chunk of one of the episodes without realizing how much, and I got confused with the time hopping.

Anyways, i I just watched the last episode. I thought it was great.