Author Topic: Barry (HBO show)  (Read 6948 times)

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
Barry (HBO show)
« on: May 23, 2019, 04:21:39 PM »
Anyone else watching this?

I plowed through Season 1 this week already, which was easy since it was only 8 30-minute episodes.  Very entertaining, and has plenty of both drama and comedy.  I can't help but think that Bill Hader is totally channeling Michael C. Hall (think Dexter) with his acting and mannerisms, and even his love interest (who is super cute) almost had the same smile as Dexter's girlfriend/wife Rita. :lol  Anyway, good show that I would recommend.

Offline DTA

Re: Barry (HBO show)
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2019, 07:02:53 PM »
I like the hitman aspects of it but I get annoyed at Barry when he’s too meek or hesitant to go off on someone. Plus the acting class stuff really drags and I hate the Sally character. NoHo Hank is hilarious and makes the show imo.

Offline faizoff

« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2019, 07:03:29 PM »
I LOVE this show. The 2nd season finale was on the same day as the GOT finale. The 2nd season is even more of a trip and is probably one of the best seasons of any show I've watched. The comedy in it is pure genius.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2019, 08:03:59 PM »
I am going to work on Season 2 this weekend, but the funny stuff in Season 1 was really funny.  The bit where the guy told Barry not to kill his mark until DHL delivered a bullet to his associate or something was hysterical.

Offline faizoff

« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2019, 08:09:51 PM »
NoHo Hank is my favorite side character on the show, I'm so glad he's there. His comedy chops are absolutely hilarious.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2019, 08:20:56 PM »
I started this show and really enjoyed it. I watched the first 7 episodes in one shot, never got around to finale, and haven't revisited since  :-\

Offline axeman90210

• Official Minister of Awesome, and Veronica knows my name!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2019, 09:12:52 PM »
I watched most of season 1 roughly as it aired and was definitely enjoying it. Got busy and never finished season 1, but I'd like to go back and re-watch those episodes and then get fully caught up.
Photobucket sucks.

Offline Zoom E

« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2019, 01:46:21 PM »
There was one episode in season 2 with a freaky young girl that made me laugh out loud numerous times.

Great show, but I agree with DTA’s comment that the scenes with the theatre group are a bit of a drag.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2019, 01:58:06 PM »
Season 2 was great as well, and that episode with the freaky young girl was so over the top and cartoonish that it somehow worked, although I like the show better when it is telling the story without the occasional violent theatrics. 

That is awesome to see that Henry Winkler won the Emmy for Season 1.  A long time coming and well deserved. :tup :tup

Bring on Season 3. :hat

Offline faizoff

« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2019, 06:06:01 PM »
That episode with the girl is the funniest I have laughed on that show, it's so out of place yet fits so well. Its one of the best episodes for sure. Probably my favorite.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2019, 07:06:13 PM »
The bit where Hank got annoyed at the accordionist was great.  And then later when Hank was cuffed and being taken away on the bus, the accordionist started playing again, and Hank looked back and muttered, "oh, for fuck's sake, this fucking guy. Can someone please shut him up?" :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin

Note to self: do not eat food when watching a scene with Hank, because laughing hard is inevitable.

Offline faizoff

« Reply #11 on: May 28, 2019, 07:07:23 PM »
Hank is my favorite character on that show, just thinking of his expressions makes me laugh.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #12 on: May 28, 2019, 07:09:35 PM »
Haha, I know what you mean.

He is one of those characters that for whom they don't even have to write funny lines; he can make any line funny with his delivery and facial expressions.  Similar to when Frasier was on Cheers and they intentionally wrote him the unfunniest lines that they knew he would make funny with his delivery.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #13 on: May 28, 2019, 07:40:13 PM »
My boss recommended it last year, I watched the first episode and was very meh about it.  Didn't come back until I was bored in my hotel room in Atlanta and wanted to stream something so I figured I'd check it out again, ended up watching the whole season 1 over 3 days and really enjoyed it.  I didn't love it, but thought it was a really well rounded show.  Had enough comedy to be funny, enough drama to be serious, and tight story that all made sense in the end as well.  I've never been a big Bill Hader fan either, I don't love him here but he does this character well enough that he doesn't bother me. I plan on watching season 2 but haven't yet, honestly was just thinking I'd watch it the next time I have some downtime in a hotel like before.

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #14 on: July 06, 2019, 05:56:34 PM »
Watched both seasons in like 5 or 6 days. What a cool show....it's funny yet serious.....the characters are great....it's really well done. Can't wait til S3.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #15 on: October 10, 2019, 11:56:26 AM »
Finally watched season 2 while on my last business trip and must say I really enjoyed it.  Maybe more than season 1.

For one, NoHo Hank is one of my favorite characters in any recent TV show that I can recall.  He's hilarious and so vibrant.  My biggest complaint with the show is how he isn't featured more.  Every scene is gold with him.  Also, in the behind the scenes they mentioned how he adlibbed the lines during the scene where his guy got shot on the roof when they tried to kill Barry.  That scene was so good and knowing it was adlbbed on his end makes it even better. They had to dub the audio as they were all laughing in real time.

The last episode however was a real trip, I'm not sure where this is going.  I don't know why I just assumed this was the last season and expected closure, but where this left off leaves me hoping for another awesome season although I have no idea what's to happen next.

As for the episode with the ninja girl... WOW.  I was in denver and under the influence of some legal substances there and that episode was a real oddball.  I was laying in my hotel bed wondering wtf am I watching.  How is this fight between Barry and the guy still happening?  And this girl really is looking like a gargoyle on the roof!?  :rollin

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #16 on: April 25, 2022, 06:15:07 AM »
It's back!!!

Hader is great as always, and NoHo Hank is just money every time he is on screen.

My only beef is how short these seasons are.  Only eight episodes, all around the 30-minute mark?  Yeesh, that is not much.

Offline faizoff

« Reply #17 on: April 25, 2022, 07:41:32 AM »
Show didn't skip a beat! It also bums me out that each episode is just 30 mins, feels so short.

Offline Zoom E

« Reply #18 on: April 25, 2022, 09:22:00 PM »
Ooh, I had no idea there was a new season. Looking forward to watching it.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #19 on: April 26, 2022, 01:55:44 PM »
I enjoyed the first 2 seasons, the gf had not seen it though so we agreed to watch the first two season and then the 3rd.  Probably be a bit till I come back here though to not spoil myself as we need to finish another show first.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #20 on: April 26, 2022, 02:31:19 PM »
Solid first episode.....and I agree these episodes are way too short.

Offline Harmony

« Reply #21 on: April 26, 2022, 03:05:38 PM »
I absolutely adore Henry Winkler and so don't know why it took me so long, but I just started Season 1 last night and I got 4 episodes in.  It feels more like a grower than a shower and after reading the comments here, I'm going to keep going.
Just another member of Gaia's intramural baseball squad

Offline faizoff

« Reply #22 on: May 02, 2022, 01:58:23 PM »
This 2nd episode of season 3 was one amazing episode. It had so many emotional beats and nailed them all. Stellar direction, writing, acting, all round fantastic arc of several characters, to hit those high notes at just the 2nd episode in, I'm extremely surprised how well done it was.

Offline nick_z

« Reply #23 on: June 03, 2022, 09:19:52 AM »
The most recent episode (Ep.6) was so good.

I mean, eve just that chase scene  :biggrin: I know nothing about what makes good directing/filming etc., but that whole thing seemed genius to me. This show has a way to play with expectations (even in the way certain scenes are shot) that just works so well.

Not quite sure how they are going to wrap this season up with only two episodes left, but I can't wait to find out...

Offline faizoff

« Reply #24 on: June 03, 2022, 10:05:19 AM »
I think for season 3 so far, every single episode has been a masterclass of directing, acting, cinematography, writing, you name it. It's just unreal so far and am very curious how the last two episodes end.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #25 on: June 03, 2022, 10:28:59 AM »
I think for season 3 so far, every single episode has been a masterclass of directing, acting, cinematography, writing, you name it. It's just unreal so far and am very curious how the last two episodes end.

Agreed. This season has been great. I too am wondering how they're going to wrap the season up.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #26 on: June 04, 2022, 06:36:08 AM »
That highway chase scene on motorcycles in the most recent episode was so ridiculous.  And awesome.  So over the top.  :lol :lol

Offline faizoff

« Reply #27 on: June 06, 2022, 05:18:01 AM »
That highway chase scene on motorcycles in the most recent episode was so ridiculous.  And awesome.  So over the top.  :lol :lol

That chase was so well done, it had action, and comedy, was really well shot, and edited, and in the end wound up at a great spot. That's been the best part of this season, each episode has these moments where you have no idea what to expect in a given scene.

Episode 7 was no different, it was so breathtaking and extremely well done. Some amazing scenes and acting, each episode seems to be upping the previous one in all departments. I really can't wait for the finale and am already going to hate the long wait for the next season.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #28 on: June 06, 2022, 07:10:24 PM »
You and me both.

That episode last night was something else.  I can't wait to see how this season ends next week, but the wait for Season 4 will be excruciating.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #29 on: June 07, 2022, 08:58:37 AM »
Finally all caught up. My rewatch of the first two seasons really made me appreciate the show more.  Just some of the subtle jokes are so good and clever.  This season so far has also been really good, like the show didn't skip a beat at all after the years.  I really have grown a lot of respect for Hader for this show.  It does suck that it's so short though, but better to be short and on point than drawn out and losing the plot

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #30 on: June 07, 2022, 09:01:11 AM »
Sally's story arc this season has been wonderfully crafted and Sarah Goldberg's portrayal of Sally and the range of emotion she's went through has been incredible to watch.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #31 on: June 07, 2022, 05:53:14 PM »
Finally all caught up. My rewatch of the first two seasons really made me appreciate the show more.  Just some of the subtle jokes are so good and clever.  This season so far has also been really good, like the show didn't skip a beat at all after the years.  I really have grown a lot of respect for Hader for this show.  It does suck that it's so short though, but better to be short and on point than drawn out and losing the plot

Agreed.  Nearly every episode feels impactful.

Sally's story arc this season has been wonderfully crafted and Sarah Goldberg's portrayal of Sally and the range of emotion she's went through has been incredible to watch.

For sure!  It seems like the most chatter is about Hader, Henry Winkler and Anthony Carrigan, all of whom have been fantastic, but Sarah Goldberg has been tremendous as well, and I think Stephen Root is just a marvel to watch on screen.  I just love watching that guy act in anything.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #32 on: June 08, 2022, 08:19:16 AM »
I find Sally's character to be very unlikeable and always has been.  But I think that goes to her credit as an actress.  She has been incredible.  I also like the contrast of her trying so hard and wanting so bad to be an actress where Barry does so little and gets so rewarded. 

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #33 on: June 08, 2022, 08:57:04 AM »
I find Sally's character to be very unlikeable and always has been.  But I think that goes to her credit as an actress.  She has been incredible.  I also like the contrast of her trying so hard and wanting so bad to be an actress where Barry does so little and gets so rewarded.

I think that's the perfect dichotomy of characters as you mention. Not just from the 'acting' aspect of the show where she tries hard and Barry doesn't.....but as people as well. For all intents and purposes Barry is a 'good' guy that has chosen or been wrapped up in a really bad line of work. Whereas Sally is not a good person at all but tries to throw a persona out there of being a 'good' person

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #34 on: June 12, 2022, 08:45:22 PM »
Damn, what a fantastic ending to the season.  I cannot wait to see where they go next with this, as there are so many possibilities.  This is moving up my list of favorite shows ever.