Author Topic: TERMINATOR - DARK FATE  (Read 8478 times)

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
TERMINATOR - DARK FATE
« on: May 23, 2019, 02:06:34 PM »

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
Re: TERMINATOR - DARK FATE
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2019, 02:12:22 PM »
Not so sure about this.  I'd like to have faith that Cameron/Miller combo can do better than the last 3 Terms, but this trailer doesn't excite me.  The comments in the YT version I watched were priceless.

"Time Travel!!! 
I see this as a win"

Terminator fans: Terminator 5 doesn't really make much sense and the timeline is really confusing
Terminator 6: Hold my beer

The gender fluid vegan terminator is here to check your privilege
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2019, 02:15:24 PM »
Whta have me confused is this: If everything after T2 never happened (James Cameron's words) Then who is this Arnold we see in this trailer, because in T2 he died in that LAVA pool

Offline PetFish

« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2019, 02:18:03 PM »
Not so sure about this.  I'd like to have faith that Cameron/Miller combo can do better than the last 3 Terms, but this trailer doesn't excite me.  The comments in the YT version I watched were priceless.

Same here.  I want it to be awesome but it just looks like another The Force Awakens/A New Hope thing.  Only "time" will tell.  hehe

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2019, 02:31:20 PM »
Not so sure about this.  I'd like to have faith that Cameron/Miller combo can do better than the last 3 Terms, but this trailer doesn't excite me. 

Yeah....I'd love for this to be good but.....that trailer does nothing to show me this will be any different than the last handful of attempts to capture the magic of the first two films. We shall see but I have a hunch it'll fall short like the rest of them.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2019, 02:40:46 PM »
It looks like a bloody mashup of Term 2, 3, Salvation, and Genesis.
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2019, 02:40:47 PM »
I don't think I've seen a Terminator movie past T2.

I seemed obvious Sarah was the one coming out of the car toward the beginning. I genuinely did not anticipate the Arnold reveal however.

Those fight scenes are just.... ugh. Seeing Arnold and the T-1000 have a brief fight when they both close in on John at the mall was more intriguing and intense.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2019, 03:21:01 PM »
James Cameron doing this makes me wet a little, but this trailer doesn't make me all of the sudden think it's going to be a good movie.  I've stopped paying attention after the 4th one.

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2019, 03:23:26 PM »
James Cameron doing this makes me wet a little, but this trailer doesn't make me all of the sudden think it's going to be a good movie.  I've stopped paying attention after the 4th one.

Dude also raved about how amazing he thought Genesys was.

So all of this...ALL of it......trailer, Cameron, etc, I am taking with a huge grain of salt. I've been hurt before. Like 3 times or something.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2019, 03:49:07 PM »

Dude also raved about how amazing he thought Genesys was.

So all of this...ALL of it......trailer, Cameron, etc, I am taking with a huge grain of salt. I've been hurt before. Like 3 times or something.

Yea, I didn't see that one but I get what you mean for those who have.  I'm almost certainly not going to go to a movie theater to see this anyway, but maybe one if it got good reviews I'd want to eventually check it out. 

Offline CrimsonSunrise

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2019, 06:57:59 PM »
Trailer looks good!  Hopefully Cameron will breath life back into the franchise.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2019, 09:44:12 PM »
It looks like a bloody mashup of Term 2, 3, Salvation, and Genesis.

That's what I was thinking as well. Looks like a hot pile of shit honestly. T1 and T2 are two of my favorite movies ever made and I am so tired of seeing this franchise get royally violated over and over again. Just let it die already.

I'll pass

Offline faizoff

« Reply #12 on: May 24, 2019, 06:50:35 AM »
Cool thing I saw was that the Terminator himself posted this trailer on reddit with the title that the trailer doesn't give away the entire movie. lol. He ended up doing an Q&A and some of his replies were quite wholesome.

I might check it out depending on how the word of mouth is.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #13 on: May 24, 2019, 10:43:21 AM »
I saw the trailer.

I still don't want to watch, and will continue to pretend that the only Terminator films are the first two.

Just like there is only one Matrix film, one BTTF film, and 2 Jaws films.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #14 on: May 25, 2019, 02:22:02 AM »
Trailer didn't impress me but I'm still holding out hope this could be good because the people involved are good and I've seen them in interviews and it feels like Tim Miller "gets" it. Hopefully this movie delivers when we finally see it. I'm not too hyped about all the flipping around which makes it look like a superhero movie though. When Arnold and the T1000 fought each other it looked like two machines going at it. Arnold was big, slow and when he was pushed through walls, you felt it. The ninja flips after being hit looks a bit silly in comparison.

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #15 on: July 21, 2019, 07:19:16 PM »
We didn’t get an official trailer for Tim Miller’s upcoming Terminator: Dark Fate, but he did bring a behind-the-scenes featurette that showed off plenty of new footage and action a panel at Comic-Con on Thursday. The film hits theaters on November 1st.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-iTco6JgZ4o

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #16 on: July 22, 2019, 06:18:07 AM »

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #17 on: August 31, 2019, 04:36:18 PM »

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #18 on: August 31, 2019, 04:53:28 PM »
Ok ... THAT was cool. I think I'm down for this.

Offline PetFish

« Reply #19 on: September 02, 2019, 11:13:02 PM »
This guy, The Critical Drinker, does some hilarious reviews.

Dark Fate Teaser:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0EN4yJLkYLs
Dark Fate Trailer:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YMa-brr5wlg

His drunk Scottish (Irish?  I dunno) accent is what really makes these work.  He calls the new bad-guy Terminator an "Apple Genius".

Offline Volante99

« Reply #20 on: September 03, 2019, 07:53:48 PM »
This movie looks terrible. No one wanted it and it’s likely to flop.

The only and I mean ONLY way they could ever bring Terminator back is to go back to basics and make smaller budget horror/sci fi film. They need to Stop trying to make a shitty version of T2 and make something closer to T1 with a smaller scale, simple but GOOD story. The same thing did wonders for the Halloween franchise.

I’m also conflicted; I get that Arnold is probably the best aspect of the Terminator series but the idea of an aging Terminator is stupid and doesn’t even make sense in the original lore. Yes, he is living tissue but he also clearly states that he is operational for 120 years, so obviously he doesn’t age like
a regular human.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #21 on: September 04, 2019, 04:06:40 AM »
This movie looks terrible. No one wanted it and it’s likely to flop.

The only and I mean ONLY way they could ever bring Terminator back is to go back to basics and make smaller budget horror/sci fi film. They need to Stop trying to make a shitty version of T2 and make something closer to T1 with a smaller scale, simple but GOOD story. The same thing did wonders for the Halloween franchise.

I’m also conflicted; I get that Arnold is probably the best aspect of the Terminator series but the idea of an aging Terminator is stupid and doesn’t even make sense in the original lore. Yes, he is living tissue but he also clearly states that he is operational for 120 years, so obviously he doesn’t age like
a regular human.

I think that means he can look like the crypt keeper, but still carry out his mission.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #22 on: September 04, 2019, 05:30:47 AM »
Yeah it looks like shit.

I want nothing to do with this movie.

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #23 on: September 04, 2019, 09:13:11 AM »
I want nothing to do with this movie.

I'll probably give it a watch when it hits streaming and/or movie channels. But certainly will not go to the theater to see it.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline Volante99

« Reply #24 on: September 04, 2019, 04:55:09 PM »
Yeah I’m pretty much the biggest T1 and T2 fan of all time and I’m still like, meh. I don’t know who thought this was a good idea

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #25 on: October 24, 2019, 01:19:42 PM »
Just saw an early screening. Overall I feel pretty meh about it. I will save spoilers until its official release, but here are my spoiler free thoughts:

Quality wise, it's as bad or good as every other Post T2 sequel. Does it come anywhere near the quality or satisfaction of the first two? Absolutely not.

Dark Fate is serviceable at best, but ultimately generic and unnecessary. Story wise, this is all very familiar ground. We've been down this same old road multiple times at this point and its very tired material. 

The action was making me dizzy. Felt like I was watching a Transformers movie where everything was cranked up to 11 and was so over the top I could not suspend my disbelief at all what so ever. There is zero subtlety and zero suspense. Its like getting hit in the face with a fire hose for 2 hours.

Music means a lot to me and T2's music was truly excellent, and the musical cues and themes meshed so perfectly with the film. T1's music is dated, sure, but works well with the film. The music here is so utterly generic and just there.

Is it terrible? No, but its certainly not great and I would not recommend going to see this in the theater. When its available on streaming and if you are bored one night, its worth throwing on, but nothing worth going out of your way to see.

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #26 on: October 24, 2019, 01:38:45 PM »
Question.  Even if one's sole expectation is eye-candy on the big screen, is it worth it?  Before answering, I feel I must point out that - for that purpose - I loved Battleship, King Kong, and both Godzilla's.  On the flip side, I hated the Marky-Mark Transformers (although, the 4th does have a genius performance by Stanley Tucci).

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #27 on: October 24, 2019, 02:25:47 PM »
Stuff like Godzilla and battleship are huge, fun spectacles which I enjoy as well. Dark fate has its moments, but doesn't really reach those levels. Its is more like here's this car chase or here's this other chase. The eye candy is there in small doses sprinkled through out the film.

And honestly, maybe 40 mins of the movie is people standing around talking with zero eye candy.

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #28 on: October 24, 2019, 02:39:16 PM »
Stuff like Godzilla and battleship are huge, fun spectacles which I enjoy as well. Dark fate has its moments, but doesn't really reach those levels. Its is more like here's this car chase or here's this other chase. The eye candy is there in small doses sprinkled through out the film.

And honestly, maybe 40 mins of the movie is people standing around talking with zero eye candy.

Yeah... 2019 Linda Hamilton is a far cry from Brooklyn Decker or Brie Larsen in tank tops.  Gonna have to re-think seeing this.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #29 on: October 24, 2019, 02:48:38 PM »
That's not very promising, I had hopes given Cameron was involved.  Oh well, I wasn't likely to see it in theaters anyway so one day I'll eventually check it out because I'd still like to see it but expectations are much lower now.

Offline Samsara

• Queensrÿche Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Driving the nail into my head. Memory flows...
« Reply #30 on: October 24, 2019, 03:00:07 PM »
All I will say is -- Terminator: Salvation was the best Terminator film outside of the first two. And I believe they screwed things up by not continuing off of Salvation.

I'll see the new one, but in all honesty, I never found it necessary to have further sequels after T2.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensrÿche (1981-1997) - Out in May 2024!

www.roadstomadness.com

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #31 on: October 24, 2019, 03:08:15 PM »
All I will say is -- Terminator: Salvation was the best Terminator film outside of the first two. And I believe they screwed things up by not continuing off of Salvation.

Agreed.  Genisys was aired recently on TV, and I recorded.  I'm looking forward to reminding myself how much of a cluster fuck it was.  T3 was just a terrible way to try and get the franchise to Judgement Day.  Valiant effort; poor execution; awful cast.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #32 on: October 24, 2019, 03:13:32 PM »
I always enjoyed T3.  Sure not as good as the first two, but I did think it was a solid movie overall.  That has one of my favorite chase scenes too.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #33 on: October 24, 2019, 03:28:54 PM »
T3 I was very excited for, but forgot about it soon after seeing it.

Salvation was the one with the right idea after T2. Just set it in the future and do the future war. Seems like a no brainer if you want to do something fresh. And it definitely felt fresh, but really my one gripe is that it doesn't have a Terminator vibe or atmosphere. I see that future war as literally dark, and horrifying. Where everyone is on the verge of starvation and Plasma riffles are whats being used. But oh well.

Genesys is just a strait up guilty pleasure for me. I throw it on from time to time just for the hell of it. Its so dumb  :lol

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #34 on: October 24, 2019, 04:14:02 PM »
Jai Courtney ruined Genisys. Emilia Clarke wasn't a very good Sarah Connor either, but Jai was the furthest away from Kyle Reese one could be. Other than him, I didn't mind the movie. Unfortunately, he was in the majority of it. The kid from Salvation was a better Reese, but yeah...  :(