Author Topic: TERMINATOR - DARK FATE  (Read 8948 times)

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
Re: TERMINATOR - DARK FATE
« Reply #70 on: January 24, 2021, 10:35:46 AM »
1) T2 (you can watch this without seeing T1, but it definitely works better if you have seen T1)
2) T1
3) Salvation
4) Genysis (I loved Emilia Clarke as Sarah but the actor playing John not so much, and if they're going to re-create early scenes why not do them exactly like they were instead of way off)
5) Dark Fate (probably, haven't seen it)
6) T3

I think you pretty much nailed how I'd do it (and I have seen Dark Fate - it was pretty bad).  I very much liked Bale's portrayal as John Connor.  It's too bad it didn't do better, and we could've seen more of that direction for the franchise, instead of hitting 'reset' and going back to the same shit different smell.  Genysis and Dark Fate were at least better than T3.  That was just awful.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #71 on: January 24, 2021, 11:02:44 AM »
Shoulda been called Geni5y5 but never mind :D

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #72 on: January 24, 2021, 06:27:41 PM »
Well, Dark fate tanked so there probably won't be any more.

I was originally going to respond that all of the last however many Terminators bombed but they never learned. But I wanted to fact check that first.

Turns you, at least going back to Salvation, this one definitely did way worse. It looks like it made around half (I'm not getting exact here) of Genysis which was considerably higher than Salvation, which was still higher than Dark Fate.

fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #73 on: January 24, 2021, 06:36:52 PM »
Maybe it would have done better if they hadn't spoiled the twist in the goddamn trailer.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #74 on: January 24, 2021, 06:46:44 PM »
1) T2 (you can watch this without seeing T1, but it definitely works better if you have seen T1)
2) T1
3) Salvation
4) Genysis (I loved Emilia Clarke as Sarah but the actor playing John not so much, and if they're going to re-create early scenes why not do them exactly like they were instead of way off)
5) Dark Fate (probably, haven't seen it)
6) T3

I think you pretty much nailed how I'd do it (and I have seen Dark Fate - it was pretty bad).  I very much liked Bale's portrayal as John Connor.  It's too bad it didn't do better, and we could've seen more of that direction for the franchise, instead of hitting 'reset' and going back to the same shit different smell.  Genysis and Dark Fate were at least better than T3.  That was just awful.

My take:  I didn't hate any of them, but:
1.  T2:  Fantastic.
2.  T1:  Classic
3.  T3:  A MAJOR step down from the first two.  But all in all, not bad. 
-The rest:  I don't care to rank them.  They are all inferior, and they all make things unnecessarily confusing by retconning and/or ignoring something that came before.  But none of them are bad, and it's nice to get some decently-done Terminator nostalgia every now and then. 
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline PetFish

« Reply #75 on: January 25, 2021, 10:18:40 PM »

I thought Salvation was a really great "next step" in where they could go.  A totally new "human" Terminator who doesn't even realize he's a Terminator.

T3, DF, and G, all rely way too heavily on what's already been done that they may as well just be remakes with all the throwbacks and such.

I was excited to see an actual People v Cyberdyne future wars thing.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #76 on: January 26, 2021, 06:52:23 AM »
I was excited to see an actual People v Cyberdyne future wars thing.

Same.  And it was really well done, imo.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion