Author Topic: TERMINATOR - DARK FATE  (Read 8465 times)

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
Re: TERMINATOR - DARK FATE
« Reply #35 on: October 24, 2019, 04:18:38 PM »
Genisys ruined genisys.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #36 on: October 24, 2019, 04:32:18 PM »
Genisys ruined genisys.

I liked the recreated scenes from T1, and Arnold is always great. I think Genisys is better than T3, and Salvation is better than both.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #37 on: October 24, 2019, 04:37:23 PM »
I'll have to go back and watch Salvation again.  I don't really have a good sense of what I thought of it.  But to me, although there is a pretty steep dropoff from T1 and T2 to any of the other films, I thought the TSCC show was fantastic.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #38 on: October 24, 2019, 04:44:12 PM »
I remember liking Salvation enough to get it on blu-ray but I hardly remember it at this point.  It definitely felt different and more fresh.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #39 on: October 24, 2019, 04:47:07 PM »
I rewatched Genisys the other night because it was on Netflix and holy crap was it a lot worse than I remembered from when I saw it in the cinema. Jai Courtney obviously way miscast as Kyle Reese and looked nothing like him, Emilia Clarke did not have that "badass female warrior" vibe that Linda Hamilton had at all and as for the T1000 it just seemed like a weird choice. Considering it was a small part and it's a shapeshifter, why didn't they try to get Robert Patrick for a cameo? Just seemed random to shove the T1000 into the movie and have it played by some asian guy who was still in a cop uniform because REFERENCE.

While I don't think the movie started off bad, I actually enjoyed the first 20-30 minutes or so and recreating the T1 stuff was kinda fun. However, once they introduce "we gotta time travel into the future again with a time machine built in 1984" element the whole movie just falls apart for me. I was kinda hyped initially when they were kinda Back to the Future 2-ing it in 1984 with an alternative timeline, but the whole "lets go to 2017" and what follows just becomes a hot mess. By the end of it you're not really clear on anything. :P

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #40 on: October 24, 2019, 04:53:51 PM »
I'll have to go back and watch Salvation again.  I don't really have a good sense of what I thought of it.  But to me, although there is a pretty steep dropoff from T1 and T2 to any of the other films, I thought the TSCC show was fantastic.

I was really bummed when that got cancelled.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #41 on: October 24, 2019, 05:54:56 PM »

This just reminded me that I never watched the show at all. I've heard a lot of good things, so I am gonna have to check it out.

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #42 on: October 24, 2019, 07:21:34 PM »

This just reminded me that I never watched the show at all. I've heard a lot of good things, so I am gonna have to check it out.

For some reason, I missed the start of S2, and then it never came back for 2nd round of repeat airings, so I never did see it.  :sadpanda:
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Volante99

« Reply #43 on: October 25, 2019, 02:39:36 AM »
Man, I love T1 and T2 and I’ve never seen TSCC. Terminator fans seems to love it but every clip I’ve seen on YouTube looks cheeesy, poorly acted, and super low budget...

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #44 on: October 25, 2019, 06:05:25 AM »
Watched Genesys last night... man that's bad. Along with everything mentioned above, the way they tackle the paradox's of time travel was bad.  Same with the way to shoe-horn in old-Arnie, and the Asian T1000, and upgrading Arnie to a T1000, and JK Simmons' character (he was good, reason for the character was dumb).

Just so bad.

Offline kaos2900

« Reply #45 on: October 25, 2019, 11:05:45 AM »
T3 was an enjoyable action flick. I really liked Salvation and it seemed the most "real" in the series. I seem to remember that Salvation was going to the be the start of a new trilogy?

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #46 on: October 25, 2019, 03:30:51 PM »
Yeah, not only was Salvation supposed to be the start of a trilogy, but Genesys was also supposed to be part of a trilogy as well. Oops  :lol

but anyway. I started watching TSCC and hot damn, its actually pretty damn good. I can't believe I slept on this show back in the day. I'll be the first one to admit I'm a huge T1 and T2 fanboy and the show its doing it for me big time. Yes, it does have the TV show feel to it in a lot of places, but I swear sometimes it feels like I'm watching a film. Very decent stuff. And Lena Headey does a fantastic job as Sarah conner.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #47 on: October 25, 2019, 03:39:38 PM »
Both seasons seem to have a focus in the beginning, start to meander in the middle, and wrap on strong.  Season 2 starts to feel like it is meandering a bit earlier, and feels like it has all kinds of disparate threads, and then the finale somehow wraps them all up and makes you realize they were all actually VERY important to the big picture. 

Allison from Palmdale...  :( :heart
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #48 on: October 30, 2019, 06:22:39 AM »
It's bland.  It's no way better than 'Rise of the Machines'.   Been a while since I saw 'Salvation' and I haven't seen 'Genisys' since it opened, but I'm pretty sure 'Dark Fate' is no better.   It's a very forgettable retread of the traditional Terminator formula (two come from the future - one killer, one protector) it follows all the same beats, but the action is surprising sparse and when it does arrive it's actually quite flat.  On the plus side Mackenzie Davis is very good.   However Linda Hamilton's return as Sarah sadly seems off (reminds me of Karen Allen reprising Marion in Crystal Skull).

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #49 on: November 01, 2019, 09:01:20 PM »
Ok, now that its officially out worldwide, here go my SPOILER related thoughts:

SPOILERS

They Murder john Connor right in the first 5 mins...

It looks to be shortly after T2. Sarah and John are chilling at a beach bar and a T-800 comes right up to them and shoots John Dead. This is where I checked out of the movie. No thanks. I want nothing to do with any of that. But I continued watching to see where it went.

Ok, on to the next dumb thing. Something so dumb, I didn't think it was possible. This same T-800 that just murdered this little kid in cold blood and that was designed solely to murder humans sees some lady getting slapped around by her man, so he randomly decides this is wrong, then saves her and then MARRIES her and raises the lady's kid, but the relationship is specifically described as "Non-physical" and he has a business where he hangs curtains in little girl's rooms... What in the mother fuck is going on  :rollin

Say what you will about T3, Salvation and Genysis, but they didn't do stuff this dumb. And keep in mind they mention that she doesn't know he's a terminator. Again, what the fuck  :lol

Boy, my husband doesn't breathe, doesn't eat, doesn't sleep, doesn't piss or shit, refuses to fuck me, kiss me or even touch me. Yeah, nothing goofy going on here and I'll just never question it and be cool with it...

So yeah, on top of the super strait forward rehash of same story for the 5th time, which was completely unnecessary and mediocre at best, they slather on that top layer of shit described above. As stated before, when its available on streaming. Sure, check it out. But don't bother going to a theater. Its really not worth it.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #50 on: November 02, 2019, 03:00:05 AM »
SPOILERS

Regarding John Connor I know some people will take that as a slap in the face on the franchise and a smear on T1 and T2, for me the point of that scene was to set up Sarah as a bitter old lady full of resentment and hate and it worked for this movie. Overall I'm still very torn on this decision because I don't like that they killed him off, yet I can see the purpose it served in the story so it's a bit of a mixed bag.

Regarding the T-800 I actually thought that element of the movie was the most interesting one by far and if that was the movie itself it would have been much more interesting to me. A terminator sent back from a future that was prevented, who carried out his mission (first time this really happens) and is then stranded in the past with no objective. Having a Terminator who had lived among humans for 20-30 years and having become more human over time was interesting and I kinda wish it had been explored more than just a few throwaway lines.

Overall to me the movie was like a 6.5 - maybe a weak 7 out of 10 and I would say it's the best since T2 mainly because the villain was actually quite good IMO and I enjoyed the protagonist sent back as well. The plot is a bit of a safe rehash of T1/T2 but it doesn't have the awkward comedy and made for TV-movie feel of T3, it didn't have the total disconnect of Salvation and it wasn't as terrible as Genisys. It's the least bad out of 4 sequels were ultimately none comes close to the first 2. :p

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #51 on: November 03, 2019, 07:44:40 AM »
I'm kinda between Zantera and Phoenix on the whole evolution of Carl.  There could've been a better way for the T-800 to learn humanity, but I'm totally fine with that thread... just the details of it were kinda 'out there'.  Also, anyone else notice that the dog didn't bark at him?

I liked Grace, and not too stuffed on the main plotline - it's been the same (except for Salvation)... 2 go back in time; one protector, one Terminator.  Why should this movie be any different?  The franchise has always done a shit job at addressing time travel and paradox's, and there were more than a few minor plot holes (eg, how did Sarah know to be on the bridge?  The time shockwave theory that Carl explained doesn't explain getting her to the bridge when she did)  Otherwise, it wasn't as bad as I was expecting.  Just another movie to showcase new CGI techniques.

6.5/10 seems about right. 

Cool thing was i saw it in a theater with full leather recliner chairs.  That was a comfortable experience.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #52 on: November 03, 2019, 08:20:59 AM »
Honestly, the concept of a T-800 moving toward humanization is actually pretty cool and interesting. And hell, I wouldn't have minded watching a strait up drama film of a machine finding its own purpose after achieving and finishing its pre-programmed purpose. But I would have liked to see the journey though, not just be told this is what happened.

At the very least, it would have been something different. And If a character study of the Joker can be compelling and successful with Zero batman in the movie, then perhaps terminator can do something similar as well.

And yeah, that dog definitely should have been barking  :lol

And besides the dog thing, Carl's likeness would probably still be on America's most wanted after all those cops got murdered in T1 and all the mayhem of T2, and him personally murdering a kid in broad daylight with witnesses, but whatever  :P
« Last Edit: November 03, 2019, 08:35:12 AM by Phoenix87x »

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #53 on: November 04, 2019, 02:50:59 AM »
I feel like that's an issue not just with Dark Fate but was also the case with Genisys and some of the other sequels where there's events that the characters describe that sounds far more interesting than the actual movie we got. In Dark Fate I would have been more interested to see a movie about the T-800 that carried out his mission and was now stuck in the past and see what happened to him. In Genisys there was a similar plot point where Arnold couldn't travel from 1984 to 2017 due to an open wound so he stayed behind and he had some comment how he worked in construction or whatever to pass the time. That sounded fun! In T3 we pick up where John Connor is half-crazy homeless guy and he said he's been living off the grid for years and that could also have made for an interesting character study movie.

If you think about it, what the Terminator movies have become isn't that far off from superhero movies. I remember that scene in Genisys when Arnold was thrown in the liquid metal tank and somehow he emerged as a T1000 instead of a T800 and that scene kinda felt like Captain America using Thor's hammer or something - a wink wink to the audience. Fan service and all that. If they can spend 400 million dollars on Dark Fate (~200 for the movie, ~200 for marketing) why can't they take a risk on a 'spin off' type movie in the same style as a Joker for example - a more simple and character driven story without giant explosions, for 1/4th the budget?

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #54 on: January 22, 2021, 10:04:58 AM »
Finally saw this the other night.  It was a good "I'm kinda bored tonight; maybe some mindless sci-fi/action" watch.  Had low expectations.  It met them.  It was fine.  Overall, it was a fun watch, but nothing that needs to be repeated.  Yeah, it had problems.  But everything after T2 does.  I thought Carl was the best part.  And the subtle humor of him having a draperies business hit the mark, IMO.  I'm also in the 6.5-7/10 camp, but I don't view that as overly negative either. 

Honestly, the concept of a T-800 moving toward humanization is actually pretty cool and interesting. And hell, I wouldn't have minded watching a strait up drama film of a machine finding its own purpose after achieving and finishing its pre-programmed purpose. But I would have liked to see the journey though, not just be told this is what happened.

You kinda get something similar in TSCC, and you get it from the points of view of different machines, which winds up being pretty cool. 

For some reason, I missed the start of S2, and then it never came back for 2nd round of repeat airings, so I never did see it.  :sadpanda:

Did you ever go back and remedy that?  You should.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #55 on: January 22, 2021, 10:45:43 AM »
I bought this film from the PS Store for £5 and have never gotten around to watching it. I will at some point.

Online faizoff

« Reply #56 on: January 22, 2021, 10:53:50 AM »
I have similar thoughts as bosk on Dark Fate. It was entertaining and I enjoyed it more than Genisys. It had some issues but I think story wise it was definitely better than the previous few movies.
I think Genisys started out quite well then fell apart, Salvation didn't really get a grip on what type of movie it was to be. It's been a while since I saw T3 but my memory from it was the actor playing John Connor was not up to par, everything else was alright.

I've been meaning to check out the show, just haven't gotten round to it.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #57 on: January 22, 2021, 11:00:48 AM »
Finally saw this the other night.  It was a good "I'm kinda bored tonight; maybe some mindless sci-fi/action" watch.  Had low expectations.  It met them.  It was fine.  Overall, it was a fun watch, but nothing that needs to be repeated.  Yeah, it had problems.  But everything after T2 does.  I thought Carl was the best part.  And the subtle humor of him having a draperies business hit the mark, IMO.  I'm also in the 6.5-7/10 camp, but I don't view that as overly negative either. 

You kinda get something similar in TSCC, and you get it from the points of view of different machines, which winds up being pretty cool. 

Did you ever go back and remedy that?  You should.

It’s one of several shows on my “to-watch” list. Went out and obtained a copy of the series, but have yet to watch.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #58 on: January 22, 2021, 11:20:02 AM »
If he can only see in infra red, then how can he tell the what the color of the drapes are in the little girls bedroom

Goin after those hard hitting questions  :lol

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #59 on: January 22, 2021, 11:28:46 AM »
I have a theory that James Cameron knows his two are the best and that he gets paid any time a new Terminator is made.

People will always say his two are the best and they keep getting worse.

He keeps saying nice things about the movies cause the money keeps coming in.

Cause that's what I would do. Never direct another Terminator movie and secretly laugh at how bad they are - and make your OG two look even better by comparison

whilst still getting that royalty.

---

Anyway - here is how I rate them. I'm expecting to not enjoy Dark Pate as much as Genisys - which i thought was the best since T2...

1. Judgement Day
2. The Terminator
3. Geni5y5
4. Rise Of The Machines ( should have been called Judgement Daytime. It's the same film. But in sunlight :P )
5. Dark Fate ( guessing )
6. Salvation ( just bad ).

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #60 on: January 22, 2021, 12:20:32 PM »
That's something Cameron would totally do  :lol

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #61 on: January 22, 2021, 12:50:20 PM »
I agree. But not really in a dickish way. He knows his first two are the best. The more films that get made only strengthen that position and he gets the royalties

for coming up with the characters and title etc.

I'd totally be like " yep - make as many as you want... " :)

If I was Jim Cameron - i'd never direct another Terminator movie again.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #62 on: January 23, 2021, 02:22:33 PM »
There's no way Salvation is the worst one. I mean it's not great, but it's the only sequel post T2 that actually tries to do something different. I think T3 is okay (but a far cry from T2 and kinda ruins the point of T2 for me), Salvation is a bit interesting but not very great, Genisys is terrible and Dark Fate aside from a few action sequences is just pretty dull imo.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #63 on: January 23, 2021, 03:14:51 PM »
Salvation is the only one I mildly like. If they would have stuck to all night time and purple lazers, then that like may have been love.

I respect Salvation because its the only one that tried something new. Every other one is the same plot with mild variations. Robot comes back from the future to take someone out. It gets old.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #64 on: January 23, 2021, 03:29:44 PM »
Salvation is the only one I mildly like. If they would have stuck to all night time and purple lazers, then that like may have been love.

I respect Salvation because its the only one that tried something new. Every other one is the same plot with mild variations. Robot comes back from the future to take someone out. It gets old.

While I definitely agree, another issue is they don't even try to change things up. They could do that same story but have it take place in Western times or something where you get a whole different scenery and if you do it in an earlier time period, the threat of the terminator itself is also enhanced. It was semi challenging to take out the terminator in 1984 and the T-1000 in 91 but the more modern you set it, the less dangerous a terminator feels.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #65 on: January 23, 2021, 04:26:02 PM »
That's a good point.

With time travel, there's so many limitless cool possibilities.

Offline PetFish

« Reply #66 on: January 23, 2021, 08:48:32 PM »
T3 is the absolute worst, I have many gripes, but it comes down to 2 specific moments for me:

1)  Arnold gets the keys out of the visor of the car cuz it's something he learned in T2... but that was a different Terminator.

2)  When they're in the RV:

John: "Don't you remember me?  Taking down Cyberdyne?  Hasta la vista, baby?"

Terminator:  "No, that was a different Terminator."

John:  "What, do you guys come off of an assembly line or something?"

*sigh* Come on.  There's no way John is *this* stupid and the fact that Terminator new before to look in the visor for the keys and says later in the movie he's a different Terminator is such stupid writing.

Positives:

- When Terminator Hulk-smashes the car instead of John.  I thought that was a really cool scene and somewhat of a nice dramatic moment.
- A combination solid/liquid Terminator seemed like the next logical evolution from Cyberdyne.
- I thought the "I killed you" revelation was pretty cool since Terminator explains just before that how his model was chosen due to an emotional attachment John had to it from the past.
- The "we need a new vehicle" running gag was un-intentionally funny but I liked it.
- Terminator's sacrifice to save John and Kate.

Other Gripes:

- The strip club scene.
- The new Terminator AI should be at least as crafty and "human" as the T-1000 but she seems to be more robotic and easier to spot but T-1000 had a much more advanced personality.
- How old are John and Kate?  Maybe 25?  Yet somehow they completely don't recognize each other even with the fact they made out in the basement less than 10 years earlier.
- John's weak-ass fake limp at the end.
- Sarah just being "dead" like she's nothing was a really lame way to say she's not in the movie.
- Nick Stahl is a terrible actor, even in Sin City.

If I have to rank them I'd go:

1) T2 (you can watch this without seeing T1, but it definitely works better if you have seen T1)
2) T1
3) Salvation
4) Genysis (I loved Emilia Clarke as Sarah but the actor playing John not so much, and if they're going to re-create early scenes why not do them exactly like they were instead of way off)
5) Dark Fate (probably, haven't seen it)
6) T3

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #67 on: January 24, 2021, 07:21:56 AM »
The T-800 is classic. Great villain. The T-1000 to me is on the same level. Made sense to go from sturdy clunky metal skeleton to slim, sleek liquid. Both of them are up there in terms of movie villains. But after that I think almost every model they have introduced has felt like a step backwards. Alright, the one in T3 (TX?) having the ability to control/take over other machines made some sense even if the use of it in the movie felt inconsistent. But liquid and solid felt like a step back from the T-1000. Salvation was pretty neat because it had some different looking robots and also the introduction of the classic Terminator at the end was pretty cool. Genisys and Dark Fate also just felt a bit 'meh' when it came to the new models.

It's a shame that having a new terminator model is about the only new creative choice they can come up with from movie to movie. I think there are ways to make a new Terminator movie and make it good but they gotta take some risks and don't do some things they love doing. As much as I love Arnold (one of my favorite people in the world) there's just no reason for him to appear anymore and they've done pretty much all they can. I think they should stay clear of focusing too much on Skynet and Judgment Day and just keep it more simple.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #68 on: January 24, 2021, 07:47:18 AM »
Well, Dark fate tanked so there probably won't be any more.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #69 on: January 24, 2021, 09:22:01 AM »
Well, Dark fate tanked so there probably won't be any more.

The same was said about Genisys though. Give it a few years and there will definitely be another one, though I think that one will be without Arnold or Linda Hamilton just by nature of the time passed.