Poll

Which DT album do you think is best sounding?

WDADU
0 (0%)
Images and Words
6 (4.7%)
Awake
23 (18.1%)
FII
38 (29.9%)
Scenes from a Memory
4 (3.1%)
SDOIT
20 (15.7%)
Train of Thought
3 (2.4%)
Octavarium
3 (2.4%)
SC
2 (1.6%)
BC&SL
2 (1.6%)
ADTOE
3 (2.4%)
Dream Theater
0 (0%)
The Astonishing
9 (7.1%)
Distance over Time
14 (11%)

Total Members Voted: 126

Author Topic: Best sounding album?  (Read 4772 times)

Offline LKap13

Best sounding album?
« on: May 23, 2019, 08:11:30 AM »
Which DT album do you think is best sounding?

I actually enjoy the sound of Distance over Time over all the others. FII, SDOIT and I&W are top tier as well.

To me, the albums from SC to TA were odd sounding. I'm glad they finally got to a solid mix with DoT.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
Re: Best sounding album?
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2019, 11:09:07 AM »
Honestly I think Octavarium might be their best sounding album.
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline Ninjabait

• XBOX is a God to Me
  • PR permission
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2019, 11:17:05 AM »
Hard to pick one for certain, but I think ADToE, SDoIT, Octavarium, Scenes from a Memory, and The Astonishing are the best sounding DT albums. Might be just because I'm very used to the sound because I've listened to them so often. ToT, FII, and I&W all sound pretty good too.

I guess I'm voting for ADToE. I think it sounds slightly better than all the rest.

Offline H2

« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2019, 11:47:40 AM »
I'm really not a good judge of these things. Most of the albums sound pretty good, except for WDADU. I'm not exactly sure what people mean when they say something "sonically" sounds great, but I think I have a rough idea of what that means, and I would say SDOIT sounds the best sonically.

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2019, 11:58:58 AM »
Awake

Closely followed by Falling Into Infinity.
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2019, 01:12:00 PM »
Falling Into Infinity is the best sounding DT album.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Mladen

« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2019, 01:47:36 PM »
Awake

Closely followed by Falling Into Infinity.

Offline PetFish

« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2019, 01:59:54 PM »
I always see Awake as being one that people think is the best sounding but I find the bass, mostly the kick drums, to be extremely soft and muddy and although everything else is clear the low-end clogs it all up.

Online TheCountOfNYC

« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2019, 05:06:28 PM »
Even though it’s my least favorite Dream Theater album, sonically Falling Into Infinity is the best the band has ever sounded on record.
People figured out that the white thing that comes out of cows' titties could be drunk, and the relation between sweet desires and women's bellies growing up for 9 months. It can't be THAT hard to figure out how a trumpet works.”

-MirrorMask

Offline evilasiojr

« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2019, 05:22:01 PM »
I always see Awake as being one that people think is the best sounding but I find the bass, mostly the kick drums, to be extremely soft and muddy and although everything else is clear the low-end clogs it all up.

Yeah, feel the same about the bass!!

Voted for FII, great drum and bass sound, loud and clear, as well as the rest of the band.

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2019, 08:48:07 AM »
SDOIT

Offline lovethedrake

« Reply #11 on: May 24, 2019, 08:49:52 AM »
Tough call between FII and SDOIT with Awake a close 3rd but I think although FII is a middle of the pack album for me it is the best DT album from a sonics standpoint.

Offline LKap13

« Reply #12 on: May 24, 2019, 09:10:27 AM »
Out of curiosity, what sound quality issues do people have with the new album?

Offline JustDefyYou

« Reply #13 on: May 24, 2019, 09:13:12 AM »
FII for sure, here are my first impressions when thinking about each album

I&W- Dated but enjoyable sounding
Awake- Dated but not very enjoyable sounding
FII- Classic 90's production, sounds amazing
Scenes- Inconsistent mixing with some very bad over compressed snare in some songs (strange deja vu) while others are fine (DoE)
6DoIT- Well balanced and good sounding, still some distracting snare compression
ToT- Over compressed in a good way, killer heavy sound throughout
Octavarium- Dry, dry, dry... also turn up that Root of All Evil guitar solo
SC- Standard mid '00s sound, not bad (crazy loud bass drums in TDEN)
BC&SL- Who needs any bass frequencies anyway?
ADToE- Quiet drums (except for that super pingy ride), eq wise seems more like a mix rather than a master but still enjoyable
DT- I honestly have no clue what they were thinking, I can't listen to this album
TA- Inoffensive but unmemorable
DoT- Hey look all the frequencies are back! (can we turn down those hi hats please?)

Offline LKap13

« Reply #14 on: May 24, 2019, 09:16:16 AM »

Scenes- Inconsistent mixing with some very bad over compressed snare in some songs (strange deja vu) while others are fine (DoE)
6DoIT- Well balanced and good sounding, still some distracting snare compression
ADToE- Quiet drums (except for that super pingy ride), eq wise seems more like a mix rather than a master but still enjoyable
DT- I honestly have no clue what they were thinking, I can't listen to this album
DoT- Hey look all the frequencies are back! (can we turn down those hi hats please?)

Agree with a lot of this! Wonder if the "what were they thinking" moments resulted from JP taking on a bigger responsibility for the production. Do you have a background in Sound?

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #15 on: May 24, 2019, 09:16:41 AM »

My issues are slight, but the levels are too high to where you can get ear fatigue if you listen to too much of it at once (see; too hot and too loud).  Plus, there is very little dynamic range.

Offline LKap13

« Reply #16 on: May 24, 2019, 09:20:42 AM »

My issues are slight, but the levels are too high to where you can get ear fatigue if you listen to too much of it at once (see; too hot and too loud).  Plus, there is very little dynamic range.

Agree with the loudness, but I'm surprised to hear that about very little dynamic range. To my ears, the album feels very full, lots of highs and lows, and breathable at points. I'm not sure if "loudness" is mutually exclusive with having dynamic range, but that's how it feels for me.

Offline Volante99

« Reply #17 on: May 24, 2019, 09:22:18 AM »
-Awake (a bit dated but good for it’s time)
-FII (overall probably their best)
-The Astonishing (maybe a bit too “digital”, polished, but sonically good)

Offline JustDefyYou

« Reply #18 on: May 24, 2019, 09:29:01 AM »

Agree with a lot of this! Wonder if the "what were they thinking" moments resulted from JP taking on a bigger responsibility for the production. Do you have a background in Sound?

Not until recently when I started engineering and mixing for my band. I've also listened to all these albums so much that they're burned into my brain lol

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #19 on: May 24, 2019, 09:37:19 AM »

Agree with the loudness, but I'm surprised to hear that about very little dynamic range. To my ears, the album feels very full, lots of highs and lows, and breathable at points. I'm not sure if "loudness" is mutually exclusive with having dynamic range, but that's how it feels for me.

Check out the Blu-ray version; the difference is significant.  It breathes a lot more and still packs a tremendous punch.

Offline LKap13

« Reply #20 on: May 24, 2019, 09:38:11 AM »
It's weird, but to me it feels like sound production has been DT's weakest element since 2006. Like if you turn on an album from pretty much any other band in the genre (Haken, Opeth, Symphony X, Tool, Kamelot, you name it) all the frequencies, all the tones are there. And they're there equally, such that nothing is grating. But with DT since 2006, every album has its own idiosyncratic sound that is just different from what one would hope or expect. Does anyone else agree with this? And is there any explanation? Some things that come to mind are 1) DT puts a lot of different sounds/layers into their songs making the production more cumbersome; 2) they're not hiring professionals to do the producing; 3) they're going for that "special something" mix which in the end backfires. All this to say that I'm very pleased with how DoT came out

Offline Ruba

« Reply #21 on: May 25, 2019, 04:14:12 AM »
I think it's adorable that WDADU is an option.  :laugh:

Online Indiscipline

• Ponce
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Apply IMO --->
« Reply #22 on: May 25, 2019, 04:25:17 AM »
Falling into Infinity for the analog era, The Astonishing for the digital one.

Offline SuperTaco

• why do I still exist
  • doomed to fail
« Reply #23 on: May 25, 2019, 06:32:51 PM »
I think it's adorable that WDADU is an option.  :laugh:

I like that style of production, believe it or not :P Also, does anyone know of any albums from other bands that sound like WDADU?

FII wins the poll for me, followed closely by 8VM.
So fking tired of being an oversensitive naive moronic fkin bitch. I CANT STOP IT. I CANT CHANGE. IM STUCK. This world eats me alive. My purpose is simply to be what others shouldn't be. A shriveled fking beacon of sad energy. I have lost. I am lost.

Offline dparrott

« Reply #24 on: May 27, 2019, 02:22:46 PM »
FII is not my favorite album, haven't heard it in a while, but off the top I'd say SFAM.  I only listen in my car speakers, so my knowledge in this area is limited.
"I don't know nuttin about nuttin" - Marshawn Lynch

The very soul of what was once real music is now lost in a digital quagmire of emotionless sonic madness.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #25 on: May 28, 2019, 07:45:16 AM »
Also, does anyone know of any albums from other bands that sound like WDADU?
Thankfully, no.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline TheOutlawXanadu

• The Original Unseasoned Fan
  • DTF.com Member
  • The Original Unseasoned Fan
« Reply #26 on: May 28, 2019, 08:34:22 AM »
Honestly... Distance Over Time. I know that the mix is way hot, but it still sounds great to me.
:TOX: <-- My own emoticon!

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • welcome to the wasteland
« Reply #27 on: May 28, 2019, 08:54:01 AM »
I adore the sound of Awake, but I chose FII. Objectively, it might be the best one, it's satisfying in several ways, no matter what equipment you use to play the album, and it's for most ears.

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

type : mora : and delete the spaces for a surprise

Offline LKap13

« Reply #28 on: May 28, 2019, 06:13:19 PM »
Honestly... Distance Over Time. I know that the mix is way hot, but it still sounds great to me.

What's meant by the mix being too "hot"?

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #29 on: May 29, 2019, 12:14:33 AM »
The real answer is likely FII, but I voted I&W because I don't care what anyone says about the triggered snare, I LOVE the sound of this album.  I'll admit, it's probably not the best but I wanted to give it some love.

Offline EPIC Outro

« Reply #30 on: May 29, 2019, 08:45:35 AM »

I voted 6 Degrees.

And for the life of me, DT12 sounds fine to me ears.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #31 on: May 29, 2019, 09:42:08 AM »
I voted I&W because I don't care what anyone says about the triggered snare, I LOVE the sound of this album.

:tup :tup :tup
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #32 on: May 29, 2019, 11:42:15 AM »
Awake.
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline Shalev Amir

• Shmoolikipod
« Reply #33 on: May 30, 2019, 02:22:25 AM »
Very tough, anything between Awake and SDOIT is a great contender
Thought I'll go with SDOIT, then decided FII sounds better but I don't particularly like Hell's Kitchen sound so I took Scenes

Offline Ninjabait

• XBOX is a God to Me
  • PR permission
« Reply #34 on: May 30, 2019, 08:55:35 AM »

What's meant by the mix being too "hot"?

"Hot" here basically means that it's loud. If an instrument is hot in the mix, it means that that instrument is too loud relative to everything else. If the overall mix is hot, it means that everything is very loud and often very compressed.