Poll

Do you consider any of these albums to be "perfect"?

WDADU
2 (0.6%)
Images & Words
74 (22.4%)
Awake
42 (12.7%)
FII
6 (1.8%)
SFAM
61 (18.5%)
SDOIT
40 (12.1%)
ToT
12 (3.6%)
Octavarium
16 (4.8%)
Systematic Chaos
5 (1.5%)
BC&SL
3 (0.9%)
ADTOE
17 (5.2%)
Dream Theater
9 (2.7%)
The Astonishing
17 (5.2%)
Distance over Time
26 (7.9%)

Total Members Voted: 110

Author Topic: "Perfect" albums?  (Read 4799 times)

Offline LKap13

"Perfect" albums?
« on: May 21, 2019, 07:05:13 PM »
Do you consider any of these albums to be "perfect"?

Edit - having trouble figuring out how to allow selection of multiple options

Offline Herrick

• Hello Mangs
Re: "Perfect" albums?
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2019, 07:31:21 PM »
Perfect as in I like/love every track? Probably Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence even though it isn't my favorite album.
DISPLAY thy Breasts, My Julia!

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2019, 07:58:13 PM »
They wrote a couple of masterpiece albums before Mangini joined the band.  After he joined, they wrote three perfect albums.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline 54_diplomats

« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2019, 08:02:21 PM »
I&W, Awake and SFAM are perfect imo. I want to include 6DOIT but it falls a bit short.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2019, 08:02:44 PM »
They wrote a couple of masterpiece albums before Mangini joined the band.  After he joined, they wrote three perfect albums.

The Astonishing Disc 1 and The Astonishing Disc 2... and what was the other one?
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Volante99

« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2019, 08:45:20 PM »
Images and Awake. Great albums from start to finish.

SFaM comes close but Through Her Eyes with those dated 90s Spice Girls drums take it down a notch.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2019, 10:25:44 PM by Volante99 »

Offline Ninjabait

• XBOX is a God to Me
  • PR permission
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2019, 08:58:38 PM »
I'd say Scenes from a Memory, SDoIT, Octavarium, ADToE, and The Astonishing are the only albums they've done that are 10/10 or close to it.

Offline Herrick

• Hello Mangs
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2019, 09:38:17 PM »
Images and Awake. Great album from start to finish.

SFaM comes close but Through Her Eyes with those dated 90s Spice Girls drums take it down a notch.

For me it's the "Ooooh yeah! Whoooo-oohhh!!! Yeah!" part in Through Her Eyes.
DISPLAY thy Breasts, My Julia!

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2019, 01:00:49 AM »
Images and Words, Awake and Scenes from a Memory
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2019, 03:55:12 AM »
Images and words
Train of thought
Scenes from a memory

Offline krands85

« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2019, 04:26:39 AM »
I&W is about as close as you could get to perfect I think. Even then, lots of people would still have issues with the drums and 'dated' sound (though they don't bother me).

Scenes isn't too far off as well - despite it being only my number 4 album - but I don't think it has the real standout, killer tracks of other albums. I find it more of a 'greater than the sum of its parts' album.

If you were going more for which albums are really consistent without any weak tracks/tracks I don't like, then I'd also probably say: Train of Thought, Distance Over Time and Awake.
Whoaaaahh, ohhh, ohhhhh. Whoaaaahh, ohhhhh, ohhhhhh. Waaah, ahhh, haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaowwwwww

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #11 on: May 22, 2019, 04:49:18 AM »
I only consider I&W to be perfect, as in I really like/love every track. I have no problem with the dated production or the drums.
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline Max Kuehnau

• Emotionless Brainiac
  • Doomed to be a man this world forgot
« Reply #12 on: May 22, 2019, 04:57:07 AM »
Aside from my (personal) nagging problem of pathos in DT's music (pathos is absolutely unnecessary in any kind of music IMHO), the only ones close to perfection are DT12 and ADTOE IMHO. (MM could have played more notes on both of these though. The man shouldn't be restrained.) These two are the only ones I listen to regularly.
"All my natural instincts are begging me to stop
But somehow I carry on, heading for the top
A physical absurdity, a tremendous mental game
Helping me understand exactly who I am"

Online Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
« Reply #13 on: May 22, 2019, 06:15:51 AM »
Images & Words and Awake.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #14 on: May 22, 2019, 07:20:51 AM »
Images and Six Degrees, personally.
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline Shalev Amir

• Shmoolikipod
« Reply #15 on: May 22, 2019, 08:00:17 AM »
I&W, Awake, SFAM and SDOIT don't have any bad songs. ToT is flawless as well but it's too one-sided for me to call it perfect. 8VM is the opposite for me, perfect with one bad song SS...

Offline Peter Mc

« Reply #16 on: May 22, 2019, 08:06:35 AM »
Only Images and Words for me, not one song I don’t love and nothing even within those songs that I don’t love, I love every single second of every single song. Scenes comes close but there are some instrumental sections within the songs that I don’t love.  To be honest the new album is pretty solid in that there’s nothing on there I would skip and nothing instrumentally that drags songs down, it’s all really good. Not sure I absolutely love everything though, some of it is just really good rather than masterpiece level like I&W.

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #17 on: May 22, 2019, 08:36:19 AM »
Perfect doesn't exist, but some of their albums come pretty close.
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline LKap13

« Reply #18 on: May 22, 2019, 09:11:25 AM »
Only Images and Words for me, not one song I don’t love and nothing even within those songs that I don’t love, I love every single second of every single song. Scenes comes close but there are some instrumental sections within the songs that I don’t love.  To be honest the new album is pretty solid in that there’s nothing on there I would skip and nothing instrumentally that drags songs down, it’s all really good. Not sure I absolutely love everything though, some of it is just really good rather than masterpiece level like I&W.

Agree with all this

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #19 on: May 22, 2019, 09:17:08 AM »
Awake is their one perfect album.

I would say Scenes if it wasn't for The Dance of Eternity.

Not sure how anyone can say 6DOIT when it has that unnecessarily long fadeout at the end of the titular suite.

I&W is pretty damn close, but while the triggered snare is part of its charm, it can grate just a tad if it hits me on the wrong day.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #20 on: May 22, 2019, 10:18:33 AM »
I know I'm on an island by myself with this one, but only UAGM prevents I&W from being "perfect" for me.

Other songs that prevent they albums they're on from being "perfect":

Awake:  Innocence Faded, The Mirror and Lie

FII:  New Millennium is the biggest stinker on this album, but none of the other songs would make for a "perfect" album.  However, You Not Me, Hollow Years, Hell's Kitchen, Anna Lee and Trial of Tears would have made a pretty good EP.

SDOIT:  The Great Debate and Disappear

TOT:  Honor Thy Father and This Dying Soul

8VA:  I Walk Beside You and the continuum intro to the title track

SC:  Repentance is the biggest stinker on this album, but none of the other songs would make for a "perfect" album except Constant Motion

BC&SL:  ANTR, AROP and TBOT

ADTOE:  OTBOA, LNF, BITS, Outcry, BAI and BTS would make for a "perfect" album.  The rest has the feel of "filler" for me.

DOT:  Still to early to decide.

The albums not mentioned don't have any major stinkers but simply aren't good enough to be considered "perfect" (and TA is in a category all to itself).
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline Mladen

« Reply #21 on: May 22, 2019, 10:52:49 AM »
SFAM and I&W are the only two albums that qualify for consideration in my opinion.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #22 on: May 22, 2019, 12:10:25 PM »
I know I'm on an island by myself with this one, but only UAGM prevents I&W from being "perfect" for me.

This belongs in the controversial opinions thread, STAT!!
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.

Offline LKap13

« Reply #23 on: May 22, 2019, 12:15:51 PM »
Nice turnout for Distance over Time. I like it!

Offline pg1067

« Reply #24 on: May 22, 2019, 01:03:24 PM »

It's probably in there somewhere.  I don't know why, but I've just never really liked it (although I do like that thing that JP did a couple times with the whammy bar during his solo).  It has always felt like such a lull sandwiched in between Metropolis and WFS/LTL.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline Lethean

« Reply #25 on: May 22, 2019, 02:16:02 PM »

It's probably in there somewhere.  I don't know why, but I've just never really liked it (although I do like that thing that JP did a couple times with the whammy bar during his solo).  It has always felt like such a lull sandwiched in between Metropolis and WFS/LTL.

Under a Glass Moon is  :metal :hefdaddy

(So are the other songs you mentioned - I could see it getting overlooked at first, but....)

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #26 on: May 22, 2019, 02:58:22 PM »
Awake is their one perfect album.
This.

I&W is pretty damn close, but while the triggered snare is part of its charm, it can grate just a tad if it hits me on the wrong day.
Also this.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Evai

« Reply #27 on: May 22, 2019, 04:42:23 PM »
Astonishing is the only one I voted for :)
Jordan took Moore's boring, pedestrian parts and elevated them considerably to take them from barely palatable to stellar.

Offline silentmac6

• DT in SH
« Reply #28 on: May 23, 2019, 05:09:29 AM »
I'm not sure that DT have ever made a perfect album. Even Awake, or I&W, have a track or two that are good as opposed to great (TM, Lie, AD, WfS). This of course is also represented in the rest of the DT catalogue. However I voted for Awake predictably.
I know perfect's not for real... I thought we might get closer

Offline CrimsonSunrise

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #29 on: May 23, 2019, 05:40:00 AM »
I&W
Awake
6DOIT

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #30 on: May 23, 2019, 08:19:25 AM »
I just don't understand the votes for I&W. 
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Max Kuehnau

• Emotionless Brainiac
  • Doomed to be a man this world forgot
« Reply #31 on: May 23, 2019, 08:21:30 AM »
me either, but I think it's because I/W is an accessible (and therefore easily digestible) record. It seems to be human nature to gravitate towards that aspect of music.
"All my natural instincts are begging me to stop
But somehow I carry on, heading for the top
A physical absurdity, a tremendous mental game
Helping me understand exactly who I am"

Offline LKap13

« Reply #32 on: May 23, 2019, 08:38:15 AM »
me either, but I think it's because I/W is an accessible (and therefore easily digestible) record. It seems to be human nature to gravitate towards that aspect of music.

I have to disagree with this. I&W has amazing staying power. In my experience, music that's "easily digestible" and accessible gets old after a few listens.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #33 on: May 23, 2019, 08:46:05 AM »
I get "accessible."  But when an album has only 4 good songs, I'm not sure how you can consider it "perfect" no matter how accessible those songs are.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #34 on: May 23, 2019, 08:51:10 AM »
I get "accessible."  But when an album has only 4 good songs, I'm not sure how you can consider it "perfect" no matter how accessible those songs are.

Only 4 good songs on I&W?! Bosk, you are high as a kite!