Author Topic: Chernobyl (HBO show)  (Read 4690 times)

Online MirrorMask

Re: Chernobyl (HBO show)
« Reply #35 on: June 13, 2019, 04:42:38 AM »
Also the second episode was great. The "We need your permission to kill three men" scene was so intense. The Boris dude, the one who had to go with Jared Harris, was stubborn and a prick, but not a complete and unreasonable asshole, when the truth stared at him in the face he didn't look away, and he reluctantly realized that the other scientist was right.

If all the other three episodes are this good, I can see why the rating are through the (covered with graphite) roof.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Online Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #36 on: June 13, 2019, 04:48:06 AM »
Just wait til you get to the last episode. Chills.
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #37 on: June 13, 2019, 05:19:42 AM »
Just wait til you get to the last episode. Chills.

The last episode was so tense

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #38 on: June 13, 2019, 09:33:00 AM »
Yup, the ending was soooo good.  I couldn't believe they were able to make an ending to a known story so impactful

Offline faizoff

« Reply #39 on: June 13, 2019, 10:57:50 AM »
Binged this series and is as amazing as everyone mentioned. I love when you can take a real life event which pretty much everyone knows about and inject so much drama and characterization into it.

I've started listening to the podcast now and that is also fantastic.

Jared Harris is one of my favorite actors, he's great in all that I've watched so far. Mad Men, The Terror and of course this show display his amazing acting chops.
The final episode was a great end to the series, I was wondering how they would tie it up and man did they do a fantastic job of it.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #40 on: June 13, 2019, 11:41:08 AM »
I forgot there was a podcast! I’m going to go check it out right now. It’s rare that show gripped me the way this one did. I sat down to watch an episode and ended up watching all of them.

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #41 on: June 13, 2019, 03:05:21 PM »
Third episode gone. Holy shit the bodies of the victims....  :omg: an horror movie!!! maybe it was not an episode filled with continue tension like the previous ones, given that the immediate emergency was dealt with, but it's still gripping to follow.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #42 on: June 17, 2019, 02:53:14 PM »
And also the fourth was great. Definitively the slower so far, but the scene on the roof with 90 seconds of time for the soldiers to push graphite blocks off the roof was filled with tension. Impressive job episode after episode!

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #43 on: June 18, 2019, 03:11:19 PM »
Finished. I wonder how they would top it all since all the crisis of the explotion was gone.... and they delivered big time. The trial was so intense, and the explanation were actually clear. It was also a great choice to keep the actual build up to the explosion only until now, I remember thinking during the first episode that yes, we saw the panic in the control room but we didn't really see in full the disaster.... keeping it for the final episode now that we all got a basic understanding of the situation was very clever. Also the final captions were chilling, I can't believe it happened when I was a kid and that my nation was (even if scarcely) impacted, and that now life goes on as it didn't really happen.

A masterpiece of a mini series, through and through. It deserves to win all the awards there are to win for this!

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #44 on: June 18, 2019, 03:32:54 PM »
It was also a great choice to keep the actual build up to the explosion only until now, I remember thinking during the first episode that yes, we saw the panic in the control room but we didn't really see in full the disaster....

After I watched the first episode and we didn't see an explosion, I was kind of dissapointed.  But the show was soo good I overlooked it and figured "well, it's not really important I guess to see this" and then watching the final episode, it showed how important all those moments were leading up to the boom.  So well done.

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #45 on: June 22, 2019, 07:03:41 AM »
Honestly didn't notice the soundtrack that much when I saw the show but reading an article about the composer and how she made the music in an actual Nuclear Power Plant was pretty cool.

https://cdm.link/2019/05/chernobyl-score-hildur-gudnadottir/

"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #46 on: June 24, 2019, 06:16:40 AM »
Watched the first episode of this last night.

Good stuff.

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #47 on: July 03, 2019, 05:56:50 AM »
I got around to wrapping this up last night. I loved how this series ended. I thought the series as a whole was really great, but that last episode was damn near perfect.

I would love to see HBO do a similar mini series about the Titanic. I know we've had a few movies over the decades, but none really focused on the days and weeks that followed, or what was going on in the most dangerous parts of the ship leading up to and during the sinking. I initially thought this mini series was going to focus on the people around Chernobyl, but was very happy that it stuck primarily to the plant, its workers, and the rescue/repair effort. I think something very similar could be done for the Titanic.

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #48 on: July 03, 2019, 06:36:23 AM »
I got around to wrapping this up last night. I loved how this series ended. I thought the series as a whole was really great, but that last episode was damn near perfect.

"And that's how an RMBK reactor explodes". How to disagree, the finale was mindblowing and brought full circle the story.

The whole series actually was great and basically perfect. Only part I could do without (or with a significantly shorter screen time) was the dogs chase, but for the rest everything played out brilliantly. I'll probably rewatch it sometime down the line, I bet it will be even better upon a second viewing.

Offline kaos2900

« Reply #49 on: July 03, 2019, 09:21:00 AM »
Listening to the Podcast. Amazing show. The one thing I would have changed was having the main guy kill himself at the very beginning.

Offline XJDenton

• What a shame
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #50 on: July 03, 2019, 02:13:48 PM »
3.6/5.0.

Not great, not terrible.
"For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for nature cannot be fooled." - Richard Feynman

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #51 on: July 03, 2019, 02:15:56 PM »
3.6/5.0.

Not great, not terrible.

:metal

Offline XJDenton

• What a shame
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #52 on: July 03, 2019, 02:18:30 PM »
In seriousness though, this show was incredible. Some of the best atmosphere and pure dread in any show I have seen. Also contains one of my favourite lines:

"Every lie we tell incurs a debt to the truth. Sooner or later that debt is paid." - Legasov.
"For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for nature cannot be fooled." - Richard Feynman

Offline CrimsonSunrise

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #53 on: July 10, 2019, 09:05:56 AM »
Just watched the PBS special on "Building Chernobyl's Megatomb" on Netflix, done in 2017.  Really good documentary if you haven't seen it!  It documents the best conceived idea with regards to entombing and dismantling the reactor.   Well worth the watch!

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #54 on: July 10, 2019, 09:21:43 AM »
Just watched the PBS special on "Building Chernobyl's Megatomb" on Netflix, done in 2017.  Really good documentary if you haven't seen it!  It documents the best conceived idea with regards to entombing and dismantling the reactor.   Well worth the watch!

I second this. I remember watching it when it came out. It was a seriously ambitious project.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #55 on: July 10, 2019, 09:48:21 AM »
Watching the documentary now. Very fascinating and the ingenuity is admirable

Offline Harmony

« Reply #56 on: July 12, 2019, 12:36:38 PM »
Ok, convince me to try this show again.  Honestly I'm not a squeamish person in general.  I'm not a fan of slice and dice slasher films or anything, but blood and gore doesn't bother me much if it isn't terribly gratuitous.  But I watched episode one and it bothered me for days.  Just the pure horror of the meltdown and the fact that people's skin were literally sliding off.  I don't know.  I definitely got the heebie jeebies big time....and maybe that is the sign of a good show haha, I don't know.

I want to watch it for Jerod Harris alone.  That guy is phenomenal and is not in the first episode much though obviously must be one of the main characters. 

So tell me (I didn't read much of the thread for spoiler reasons), is episode 1 just a set up for the show and the ick factor will diminish as I continue or is episode 1 pretty much the entire feel of the series?
Just another member of Gaia's intramural baseball squad

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #57 on: July 12, 2019, 12:40:09 PM »
Ok, convince me to try this show again.  Honestly I'm not a squeamish person in general.  I'm not a fan of slice and dice slasher films or anything, but blood and gore doesn't bother me much if it isn't terribly gratuitous.  But I watched episode one and it bothered me for days.  Just the pure horror of the meltdown and the fact that people's skin were literally sliding off.  I don't know.  I definitely got the heebie jeebies big time....and maybe that is the sign of a good show haha, I don't know.

I want to watch it for Jerod Harris alone.  That guy is phenomenal and is not in the first episode much though obviously must be one of the main characters. 

So tell me (I didn't read much of the thread for spoiler reasons), is episode 1 just a set up for the show and the ick factor will diminish as I continue or is episode 1 pretty much the entire feel of the series?

It's really going to give the heebie jeebies the whole show but for different reasons each episode.  It's really not a very gorey show(to me), but it makes you feel like shit is really fucked up and hence that uneasy feeling, that stays.  Even in the end when it's kind of "over" you still feel that uneasiness just from the political standpoint of how things played out.  To me, that's what made it such an awesome show.  I couldn't recommend it more and it sounds like you want to so you just should.

Offline Harmony

« Reply #58 on: July 12, 2019, 12:59:28 PM »

It's really going to give the heebie jeebies the whole show but for different reasons each episode.  It's really not a very gorey show(to me), but it makes you feel like shit is really fucked up and hence that uneasy feeling, that stays.  Even in the end when it's kind of "over" you still feel that uneasiness just from the political standpoint of how things played out.  To me, that's what made it such an awesome show.  I couldn't recommend it more and it sounds like you want to so you just should.

LoL - this did not help me!   :lol

I'm kidding.  I just maybe need to be in the right mental frame for it.  Maybe while I'm on vacation in a week.... :laugh:
Just another member of Gaia's intramural baseball squad

Offline Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
« Reply #59 on: July 12, 2019, 01:26:12 PM »
The show is definitely designed to give you the heebie jeebies, but that's what made it so compelling.  Jared Harris absolutely owned the final episode and I was just riveted to the TV while watching it.

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #60 on: July 12, 2019, 02:23:05 PM »
The show is definitely designed to give you the heebie jeebies

The scene with the three guys and the flashlights had my heart pumping.