Poll

2019 Tour - Who do you think was the MVP at your show?

James LaBrie
7 (16.7%)
John Myung
2 (4.8%)
John Petrucci
13 (31%)
Jordan Rudess
1 (2.4%)
Mike Mangini
11 (26.2%)
Can't decide - The whole band was equally awesome
8 (19%)

Total Members Voted: 42

Voting closed: May 25, 2019, 08:14:40 PM

Author Topic: 2019 Tour - Who do you think was the MVP at your show?  (Read 928 times)

Offline DT1138

2019 Tour - Who do you think was the MVP at your show?
« on: May 18, 2019, 08:14:40 PM »
Now that the 2019 Tour is well underway, for those of you that saw a show (or more) I was wondering who you thought was the "MVP" of the show you saw.

There's no wrong answer here and this is just for fun, but sample criteria in your decision making might be something like...

- They stole the show in some way
- They really engaged the crowd and got them roaring, etc
- Their overall playing was incredible in some way
- They did a blistering solo that just blew you away
- This person was very open and talkative with you at a meet and greet and you learned something fun or exciting

Etc, Etc, Etc...

For example, at the Chicago show, while I felt everyone did a great job, I personally felt Mike Mangini stole the show.  He almost lost a stick at one point but recovered (and made a silly face that clearly indicated he was relieved that he didn't drop it), he was really smiling and into it overall, his playing was really on point, and at the end of the show I was totally convinced all those "robotic" claims about him were pure BS.  A close second would be James LeBrie because he also was really into it and he took an audience member's pirate hat and wore it for a bit, which made the crowd go nuts.

Please vote and tell us why - Thanks!

Offline goo-goo

Re: 2019 Tour - Who do you think was the MVP at your show?
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2019, 07:23:01 AM »
I think James was superb at the Austin show.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2019, 08:17:41 AM »
Can't decide.  Sometimes when I see them, one member impresses the most.  This time, I'm not sure.  JP is always a top choice, JLB sounded the best in awhile so he was really good, and I love watching MM so it's kind of hard to pick between those three for me.

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2019, 09:13:01 AM »
In the first set, I would have to say Myung. Often times in concert, bass doesn't come through well in the venue, but he had some serious chunk at the show I saw. He really filled the heavy stuff out nicely.   

In the second set, I'm going to go with Manhini. Solid performance all around, and the way he beats the piss out of his snare made the final moments of Finally Free really awesome. 

Online Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2019, 10:08:44 AM »
Can't decide as the entire band was on FIRE!

I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2019, 01:27:52 PM »
Mangini
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Samsara

• Queensr˙che Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Memory flows...like a river.
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2019, 01:29:06 PM »
At my particular show, it was Petrucci. The man was sick as a dog, and he didn't miss a note and was as engaging as could be on stage. The whole show was outstanding, but he earned his paycheck that night for sure.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Pre-order now at www.roadstomadness.com!