Author Topic: Your controversial opinions on movies and TV  (Read 29336 times)

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
Re: Your controversial opinions on movies and TV
« Reply #70 on: May 24, 2019, 11:30:32 PM »
Let's hear it for Wink Martindale and Bob Eubanks.  :clap:

70's hosts were legendary pigs. Obviously, Richard Dawson stands out with his creepy kissing of every woman on the show, kisses getting longer as the contestant got younger, but my personal favorite was Bob Barker. He had the 100$ pocket, that he'd reach pull out a c-note for the winning men, but the women had to "reach into that 100$ pocket..." for their reward. Even as a kid in the era I thought that shit was hella creepy.

Offline Ruba

« Reply #71 on: May 25, 2019, 09:24:29 AM »
Pulp Fiction is hot garbage.

I'm not sure we could be friends after all. :-\

Offline axeman90210

• Official Minister of Awesome, and Veronica knows my name!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #72 on: May 25, 2019, 07:08:45 PM »
Count me in the anti Big Bang Theory crowd. I always felt like people were giving it credit for being a "smart" comedy when it was really the same dumb humor you find in a hundred other comedies, just it was about smart topics.
Photobucket sucks.

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #73 on: May 25, 2019, 07:41:01 PM »
Count me in the anti Big Bang Theory crowd. I always felt like people were giving it credit for being a "smart" comedy when it was really the same dumb humor you find in a hundred other comedies, just it was about smart topics.

I LOVE TBBT since season 1 up until the last episode, I really like that kind of dumb humor. It entertained me greatly, in 2010 I was having a major break with my wife, and for some reason I became addicted to that show and I binwatched the first 5 seasons in like 2 weeks. I really like it, it's sad for me that they eneded it.

Online soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #74 on: May 28, 2019, 04:42:37 AM »
The single greatest comedy show if all time is Peep Show.

Offline TheCountOfMinnesota

« Reply #75 on: June 07, 2019, 12:42:29 PM »
Jim Carrey is a once-in-a-generation comedic talent and a criminally underrated dramatic actor.

Dumb & Dumber is a comedic masterpiece.  In fact, I'm skeptical of people who hate it; it's sort of an unofficial friendship litmus test with me.

Pee Wee's Big Adventure is a cinematic masterpiece in every sense of the term: cinematography, script, acting, etc.  It's Tim Burton's best film.  No comedy film from the 80's has aged better.
PBR me ASAP

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #76 on: June 07, 2019, 12:53:13 PM »
Jim Carrey is a once-in-a-generation comedic talent and a criminally underrated dramatic actor.

Dumb & Dumber is a comedic masterpiece.  In fact, I'm skeptical of people who hate it; it's sort of an unofficial friendship litmus test with me.

I LOVE classic Jim Carrey, Ace Ventura, Dumb & Dumber, and The Mask all in 1994 and maybe his three best movies (Actually I think Ace 2 is funnier but the original is a better story).

Offline TheCountOfMinnesota

« Reply #77 on: June 07, 2019, 01:10:11 PM »
Yeah, he was on top of the world in the mid 90's!  I still love him.
PBR me ASAP

Offline pg1067

« Reply #78 on: June 07, 2019, 01:23:25 PM »

I LOVE classic Jim Carrey, Ace Ventura, Dumb & Dumber, and The Mask all in 1994 and maybe his three best movies (Actually I think Ace 2 is funnier but the original is a better story).

He definitely was an A list guy in the mid-/late 90s.  I just looked at his filmography and was surprised how little he has worked in the last 15 years.

1994 was the year my (now) wife started living together, and we went to tons of movies in those first few years.  We loved The Mask at the time and even were fans of Batman Forever.  But Dumb and Dumber is one of the worst movies I ever spent time watching.  I'm sure I saw at least the first Ace Ventura, but I didn't like it and don't really remember it.  Also skipped The Cable Guy.  Liar Liar was ok.  The Truman Show was a little odd, but I recall liking it.  I think the only movies of his I've seen since then were Bruce Almighty and the two Seuss movies.  He has zero drawing power for me anymore.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #79 on: June 07, 2019, 02:09:41 PM »
90s Carrey is where it's at. Dumb & Dumber is an all time great comedy.
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #80 on: June 07, 2019, 02:28:21 PM »
How about I rank the Jim Carrey prime career movies (94-00) from best to least best

Ace Ventura 2
Ace Ventura
Dumb and Dumber
The Mask
Liar Liar
The Grinch
Man on the Moon
The Truman Show
Batman Forever
Me Myself and Irene
The Cable Guy

and I've never seen Simon Birch (I went off his wiki here https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jim_Carrey_filmography)

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #81 on: June 07, 2019, 02:29:48 PM »
I consider Man on the Moon a dramatic performance, despite the comedy, and even though I love his early comedic stuff, his dramatic stuff is better to me.

So I don't do rankings really, but I'd definitely put Man on the Moon and Truman Show above movies like Ace Venture and Dumb and Dumber, despite loving those too.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #82 on: June 07, 2019, 02:39:50 PM »
Truman Show is one of my favorites. GREAT movie.
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #83 on: June 07, 2019, 03:22:03 PM »
The Truman Show is definitely a great flick, while Dumb and Dumber is one of my favorite comedies ever.  Ace Ventura and Liar Liar are pretty great as well.  The rest is all mostly a miss for me.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #84 on: June 07, 2019, 03:48:45 PM »
I consider Man on the Moon a dramatic performance, despite the comedy, and even though I love his early comedic stuff, his dramatic stuff is better to me.

So I don't do rankings really, but I'd definitely put Man on the Moon and Truman Show above movies like Ace Venture and Dumb and Dumber, despite loving those too.

Yea hard to compare but I just judged on which ones I enjoy more, I'll watch any of those top movies on my list any day, but I'm not usually putting the Truman Show on although I thought it was a really solid movie.

Actually the only movie I didn't really like at all from that list is the Cable Guy, although it has it's moments like Medieval Times  :lol

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #85 on: June 07, 2019, 04:16:17 PM »

Ace Ventura 2 was better than the first. I have to go and rewatch it sometime.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #86 on: June 07, 2019, 05:14:54 PM »
Jim Carrey (the actor and his performances, I cannot speak about him personally) is the most annoying thing to hit the silver screen in the history of the color silver.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline pg1067

« Reply #87 on: June 10, 2019, 10:11:29 AM »
Jim Carrey (the actor and his performances, I cannot speak about him personally) is the most annoying thing to hit the silver screen in the history of the color silver.

If Chris Farley had never existed, I might agree with this.  Carrey at least had a few good movies before his schtick became tired.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #88 on: June 10, 2019, 10:45:49 AM »

If Chris Farley had never existed, I might agree with this.  Carrey at least had a few good movies before his schtick became tired.

:omg:

Chris Farley is a god damn national treasure.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #89 on: June 10, 2019, 12:18:57 PM »
Chris Farley had one schtick, one that wasn't particularly funny beyond a 3 minute sketch on SNL. And even that assessment is being generous.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #90 on: June 10, 2019, 12:28:06 PM »
Chris Farley had one schtick, one that wasn't particularly funny beyond a 3 minute sketch on SNL. And even that assessment is being generous.

I............you've broken my heart.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #91 on: June 10, 2019, 12:29:14 PM »

:omg:

Chris Farley is a god damn national treasure.

This is something we can agree on.  Ahd yea, he was kind of a one trick pony, but that trick was super funny and there was something about him that just made you like him IMO.  His death hurt a lot as a child since his movies were my favorites at that time.

It was always a huge debate for me too between these combo comedies from the mid 90s (and still is):

Ace Ventura/Dumb and Dummer vs.  Tommy Boy/Black Sheep vs. Billy Madison/Happy Gilmore

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #92 on: June 10, 2019, 12:39:06 PM »

Sorry Padme. The Dark Side beckons.

I just don't find this type of comedian appealing. I do not know how to characterize this "type" other than to say it's like the annoying kid in school that knew no one liked him but wanted to be popular so bad they resorted to trying to be funny to be liked, but the humor was so forced and over the top it was never actually funny.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #93 on: June 10, 2019, 01:09:58 PM »
That's a shame - in the documentary I Am Chris Farley they spent quite a bit of time going over his childhood and how he was kind of the life of the party and everyone around him loved him 'cause of his explosive personality. But - tastes!  :biggrin:

Offline pg1067

« Reply #94 on: June 10, 2019, 01:10:48 PM »

Indeed.  Farley was the absolute worst thing about one of the best periods in SNL's history.

Sorry Padme. The Dark Side beckons.

I just don't find this type of comedian appealing. I do not know how to characterize this "type" other than to say it's like the annoying kid in school that knew no one liked him but wanted to be popular so bad they resorted to trying to be funny to be liked, but the humor was so forced and over the top it was never actually funny.

:tup :tup :tup

Dumb humor can be fun when done correctly, but Farley's schtick of over-the-top be as dumb as possible in as loud and obnoxious a manner as possible was never funny.  Farley was very similar to Sam Kinison, whose entire schtick was just to scream and yell, but he wasn't funny either.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #95 on: June 10, 2019, 01:31:26 PM »
Just tastes, clearly that humor isn't for you guys while it's right up my ally. And I've also only heard positive things about Farley from a personal perspective, seems he was similar to Robin Williams sadly in terms of always feeling the need to entertain and becoming very lonely internally from it.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #96 on: June 10, 2019, 10:25:47 PM »
Black Sheep was a dud, but Tommy Boy is a classic that has held up extremely well.  Call Farley a one-trick pony, but it was one helluva trick.  I was never much of a SNL fan, so I can't speak to much of what he did there, but I have seen the Matt Foley and Chippendale's skits, both of which are a riot.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #97 on: June 18, 2019, 07:48:46 PM »

I agree.

Black Sheep was a dud, but Tommy Boy is a classic that has held up extremely well.  .

I saw Tommy Boy once, and I couldn't tell you the first thing about it, so it likely sucked too.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #98 on: June 18, 2019, 08:26:30 PM »
Never was  fan of anything Farley did. Sure I saw a few of his movies and on SNL but just didn't like him.

Same with Sandler.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #99 on: June 19, 2019, 05:35:51 AM »
Starting with Zook's post on page one, I replaced every mention of the word "best" with "my favorite".  Unless someone has seen every sitcom in the history of TV, they are unqualified to assess what is "best".  Similarly, if you haven't watched every episode of a TV show, you have no grounds to say that a show sucks.  That's like saying SFAM is a terrible album because Regression is boring.

Though, seeing as how this is the "opinion" thread, it's all good.

Controversial opinion of my own... Denny Crane is the greatest TV character ever.  Change my mind.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Snow Dog

« Reply #100 on: June 19, 2019, 06:54:31 PM »

Dumb humor can be fun when done correctly, but Farley's schtick of over-the-top be as dumb as possible in as loud and obnoxious a manner as possible was never funny.  Farley was very similar to Sam Kinison, whose entire schtick was just to scream and yell, but he wasn't funny either.

See, though, it was that loudness and outrageousness that made Farley’s brand of humor work for what it was for me. Take that away, and you get Will Ferrell, whose same single schtick of clueless stupidity is as funny as a litter of kittens with pancreatic cancer and Ebola. Others find him funny, I just don’t see it in him. Again, different tastes.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2019, 09:30:13 PM by Snow Dog »

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #101 on: June 19, 2019, 08:08:14 PM »

Controversial opinion of my own... Denny Crane is the greatest TV character ever.  Change my mind.

In order for me to change your mind, you'll have to tell me who the hell that is first.  :lol
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #102 on: June 19, 2019, 08:22:02 PM »
I had to look up Denny Crane myself but I rarely watch TV and haven't for years.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #103 on: June 19, 2019, 08:23:03 PM »
Tim.  Punch yourself in the nuts for not knowing.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline ThatOneGuy2112

« Reply #104 on: June 20, 2019, 12:00:54 AM »
Similarly, if you haven't watched every episode of a TV show, you have no grounds to say that a show sucks.  That's like saying SFAM is a terrible album because Regression is boring.

While I agree with much of what you said, I'm not sure I do with this. I think if someone has seen at least a sizable portion of a given TV show (more so if it's still currently airing), then they probably have a decent grasp on what it is they do and don't like about it and have good grounds to decide whether or not it's for them.