Author Topic: Your controversial opinions on movies and TV  (Read 29315 times)

Offline pg1067

Re: Your controversial opinions on movies and TV
« Reply #245 on: December 04, 2019, 01:52:42 PM »
I don't know that I'd go so far as to call it crappy (a term reserved for something like National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation), but I also don't get what all the fuss is about.
See now, I love Christmas Vacation. To each their own I guess.

I'd say it's been over watched by pretty much every one, but there's a reason why, because it's a fantastic christmas comedy.  I just hate watching it these days because of having seen it so much, it lost some of its charm on me.

It's another one that I'm sure I saw around the time it came out (I was 22) but I don't really recall it.  I bought it (in one of those $5 DVD bins) and watched it a couple years ago and thought it was one of the worst things I've ever seen.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #246 on: December 05, 2019, 05:54:55 AM »
Christmas Vacation is a classic and I agree it is so for a reason, some hilarious scenes in it. The sequel however is a dumpster fire that should never have been made, though luckily it doesn't leave much of a stain on the first one since few people have actually seen it.

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • welcome to the wasteland
« Reply #247 on: December 05, 2019, 06:57:06 AM »
But - and I'm sorry to bleed out here - is it any wonder that we're happy with "quid pro quo" alone, or a picture of someone standing in the same shot as Jeffrey Epstein as evidence of crimes?
Ohhhh, that's a spicy take! Personally, I doubt it; I just think we like to assume the worst in people. I assume the best but I'm usually wrong  ;)

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

type : mora : and delete the spaces for a surprise

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #248 on: December 20, 2019, 08:38:29 PM »
The 1951 film Scrooge is a horribly bland, soulless, dull film. I have no idea why it is held as the gold standard for A Christmas Carol adaptations. It's not even a mildly entertaining Christmas movie.

By contrast, the 1984 A Christmas Carol with George C. Scott imbues the story with life and, as this Scrooge would say, depth of feeling. Scott is magnificent as Scrooge, portraying him as a more cynical, shrewd, lonely, man instead of just a grumpy old miser. David Warner shines as the fragile and kind Cratchit. And each scene the spirits show to Scrooge are given time to play out and have the appropriate effect on him. The 1951 film feels like hopping from one stone to another just to get across the stream.

I don't like comparing films from different eras but I always see the 1951 film at the top of A Christmas Carol adaptation lists. And I have no idea why.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #249 on: December 21, 2019, 09:09:31 AM »
My grandfather would fight you in the driveway.   As far as he was concerned, there were no other ACC other than the '51 model.  "Alastair Sim.... he's the only one that should be playing that role!"  I've heard that line, or a variation, easily 50 times (my grandfather, with whom I was moderately close, passed when I was around 20.)

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #250 on: December 21, 2019, 11:18:11 AM »
I would accept that fight. I won't compare the men as actors, that's just not fair to most people if they are up against George C Scott. I do prefer the way Scott played his Scrooge as I outlined. In Christmas Present, they poke fun at him at Fred's party and he chuckles, appreciating the rib at his expense, but won't yet accept the joy in their Christmas celebration. Also it isn't fair to compare films across eras due to production values.

To me watching ACC 51 (it is really Scrooge, not ACC, but anyway) is like a group of filmmakers took DIckens' book, and said "Ok, let's shoot this" without breathing any life in to it. The book is very concise and doesn't let scenes play out the way ACC 84 does. Nor does it allow for much in the way of Scrooge reflecting and what he is taking away from each scene. ACC 51 is just a series of "scene in Christmas Past/Present/Future, cutaway to Scrooge looking saddened, next scene, rinse repeat."
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #251 on: December 25, 2019, 02:00:15 PM »
Not controversial, but continuing the conversation (I might be having with myself). Just watched the A Christmas Carol with Patrick Stewart. Found it enjoyable. Stewart is stellar as always and put his own stamp on Scrooge without deviating from the mythic-level character that he has become over the years. I really enjoyed Cratchit and his Wife. They felt like a couple who was deeply in love and barely scraping by. For as good as David Warner is at just about anything, he is almost too proper and refined in the 84 ACC. I totally got the feeling that this Cratchit is very low on the economic and social totem pole, and despite his horrible employment, lucky to have anything at all. I was a little disappointed in the spirits, especially a star like Joel Grey. I know they are pretty one-dimensional in the book, but they are so lifeless here.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #252 on: December 25, 2019, 02:30:04 PM »
I don't even celebrate Christmas, and even I know that Scrooged is the best version of that story. 

:corn
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline pg1067

« Reply #253 on: December 26, 2019, 06:56:23 PM »
My grandfather would fight you in the driveway.   As far as he was concerned, there were no other ACC other than the '51 model.  "Alastair Sim.... he's the only one that should be playing that role!"  I've heard that line, or a variation, easily 50 times (my grandfather, with whom I was moderately close, passed when I was around 20.)

My wife will join your grandfather (which means Chris would be in serious trouble).  She does, however, also like the Patrick Stewart version.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #254 on: December 26, 2019, 07:51:14 PM »
I actually feel strongly about this, so am happy to take on all comers.  :)

I need to give Scrooged another viewing. It has been many, many years.

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #255 on: December 26, 2019, 08:08:18 PM »
In prep for Picard coming out next year I started to watch Star Trek Discovery, it's not bad, I actually think it's pretty good. The pacing is a little bit weird but I think I can safely say that season 1 of discovery is the second best first season of any ST show.

Offline King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• I find your lack of filtered water disturbing
  • DTF.org Member
  • Together we can rule the ocean as father and son
« Reply #256 on: December 26, 2019, 10:16:15 PM »
In prep for Picard coming out next year I started to watch Star Trek Discovery, it's not bad, I actually think it's pretty good. The pacing is a little bit weird but I think I can safely say that season 1 of discovery is the second best first season of any ST show.
What's the best, in your opinion?
aka Puppies_On_Acid
I peed next to Ian Mosley and Mark Kelly
Derek Sherinian probably stands 10 feet away from the urinal, shoots from downtown, and announces loudly that he's making history.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #257 on: December 27, 2019, 06:42:08 AM »
Season 1 of DS9

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #258 on: December 27, 2019, 12:23:42 PM »
The love for the Character 'Rose' in The Last Jedi and The Rise of Skywalker is completely overblown. Very underwhelming character. I've seen things online where people are asking Disney to make a stand alone series with her on Disney +. Perhaps for sleep assistance...sure, but for entertainment and anything interesting there's no way to gleen that from that character.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #259 on: December 27, 2019, 12:25:55 PM »
The love for the Character 'Rose' in The Last Jedi and The Rise of Skywalker is completely overblown. Very underwhelming character. I've seen things online where people are asking Disney to make a stand alone series with her on Disney +. Perhaps for sleep assistance...sure, but for entertainment and anything interesting there's no way to gleen that from that character.
She was fine in The Last Jedi, but nothing to get too excited about. I barely even noticed that she was hardly in Rise of Skywalker.

Offline robbob

« Reply #260 on: December 27, 2019, 12:27:55 PM »
A little late to to this thread, but i'll offer my opinions. Most not too controversial.

A Christmas Story IS one of the best holiday movies ever, so many great scenes and lines.
Seinfeld is the best sitcom I've seen, no other sitcom has made me laugh out loud as much. It's amazing how they took everyday life situations that pretty much everyone has experienced and made them extremely funny.

Maybe slightly controversial:
Seth Rogen is not funny at all, I've never laughed at any one of his characters or lines. He just usually plays the stoner guy, or supposed "normal" guy. Way overrated.

Jim Carrey "was" a comedic genius, one of the best ever.

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #261 on: December 27, 2019, 12:59:32 PM »

I saw there was something trending about her yesterday on Twitter but outside of that I (luckily) haven't seen any overwhelming love. Maybe people are slightly attached because Disney needed to add a character that helps with the racial and gender boxes to "round out" their cast but I don't know how anyone could look passed how she ruined an incredibly crucial moment in TLJ. I'm glad there wasn't much of her in TROS especially because with the way the plot was any storyline with her would've been shoehorned.

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #262 on: December 27, 2019, 03:26:57 PM »
A little late to to this thread, but i'll offer my opinions. Most not too controversial.

Seth Rogen is not funny at all, I've never laughed at any one of his characters or lines. He just usually plays the stoner guy, or supposed "normal" guy. Way overrated.

I agree with you. I though Rogan was funny when I first saw him on the screen but after a few movies I didn't find him funny anymore. He just played the same guy over and over.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #263 on: December 27, 2019, 10:03:26 PM »
A Christmas Story IS one of the best holiday movies ever, so many great scenes and lines.

Not sure that is controversial, at least based on popular opinion. I watched it with my daughter a few days ago, having not seen it in probably 20 years. It was about like I remembered. Not really that funny or amusing, though witty at parts. She enjoyed it, which was all that mattered. Not a film I need to see again for another 20 years, certainly not something I need to add to the annual holiday film rotation.

Offline King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• I find your lack of filtered water disturbing
  • DTF.org Member
  • Together we can rule the ocean as father and son
« Reply #264 on: December 27, 2019, 11:20:05 PM »

I agree with you. I though Rogan was funny when I first saw him on the screen but after a few movies I didn't find him funny anymore. He just played the same guy over and over.
Here's my controversial take. He's also a bad actor. :corn
aka Puppies_On_Acid
I peed next to Ian Mosley and Mark Kelly
Derek Sherinian probably stands 10 feet away from the urinal, shoots from downtown, and announces loudly that he's making history.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #265 on: December 29, 2019, 09:22:57 AM »
Knocked Up was on last night; Bo-ring.  How novel; hipster hilarious stoner is really a good guy at heart!   Paul Rudd was okay (his quasi-hipster nerd cool thing wears thin very quickly for me) and Katherine Heigl is more annoying than hot, so...  :tdwn

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #266 on: December 29, 2019, 10:17:23 AM »
I find very little, if any, humor in that genre of "comedy."

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #267 on: December 30, 2019, 06:53:19 AM »
Knocked Up was on last night; Bo-ring.  How novel; hipster hilarious stoner is really a good guy at heart!   Paul Rudd was okay (his quasi-hipster nerd cool thing wears thin very quickly for me) and Katherine Heigl is more annoying than hot, so...  :tdwn

I watched it too and I agree although I like Paul Rudd a little more than you stated.

I never found katherine Heigl good in anything she has been in. When she joined the Suits cast I was like "really? You couldn't find anyone else?"

Offline Snow Dog

« Reply #268 on: January 02, 2020, 07:27:39 AM »

The bolded is the same issue I have with Will Ferrell.

Offline ZirconBlue

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #269 on: January 02, 2020, 02:14:11 PM »

I actually feel strongly about this, so am happy to take on all comers.  :)

I need to give Scrooged another viewing. It has been many, many years.

Personally, I don't find any version of ACC as enjoyable as the one with The Muppets.

Offline DTinTX

« Reply #270 on: January 02, 2020, 07:14:00 PM »
I really don't watch a lot of TV.  I hit the road to the office at 5AM and usually don't get home until after 6PM, and by the time I grab a bite to eat and knock down a couple of cold ones it's time to crash and do it all over again.  I do like watching "The Curse of Oak Island" and any of the car shows on MT channel like "Texas Metal" and "Bitch'n Rides"!  But what I find disturbing these days is the obvious political innuendos in just about every commercial I have to sit through.  Some are just flat out racist against white men.  Think GEICO and several other insurance ads.  If white men aren't being mocked in some way they're being completely dominated by a woman or some other person of color, and if that's not true then they're usually gay.  Also forget a white man white woman couple, it's mostly interracial, which is fine, but is it reality or is it the left ramming their anti-white agenda down our brains? 

Even more bizarre is some companies don't seem to care if they're targeting their main consumer.  Have you seen the Bud commercial where the hot blonde walks into the bar, beats every guy (white of course) at pool, darts and even arm wrestling?  If that's not a kick in the balls I don't know what is!  Call me a racist if you want, to Democrats I am by default, but it's just an observation.  Surely though I can't be the only one that has noticed this?             

Offline pg1067

« Reply #271 on: January 02, 2020, 10:31:50 PM »
But what I find disturbing these days is the obvious political innuendos in just about every commercial I have to sit through.  Some are just flat out racist against white men.  Think GEICO and several other insurance ads.  If white men aren't being mocked in some way they're being completely dominated by a woman or some other person of color, and if that's not true then they're usually gay.  Also forget a white man white woman couple, it's mostly interracial, which is fine, but is it reality or is it the left ramming their anti-white agenda down our brains? 

Even more bizarre is some companies don't seem to care if they're targeting their main consumer.  Have you seen the Bud commercial where the hot blonde walks into the bar, beats every guy (white of course) at pool, darts and even arm wrestling?  If that's not a kick in the balls I don't know what is!  Call me a racist if you want, to Democrats I am by default, but it's just an observation.  Surely though I can't be the only one that has noticed this?           

I don't even know where to begin with this, so I'm just going to say HUH? and surmise that you're finding something that isn't there at all just because you're looking for it.

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
« Reply #272 on: January 03, 2020, 08:16:44 AM »
lmao

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #273 on: January 03, 2020, 08:19:44 AM »
Yeah... no

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #274 on: January 03, 2020, 09:56:18 AM »
Perhaps I feel a need to weigh in because I too watch those two goobers on "The Curse Of Oak Island", but while we can debate the degree or significance (and the whiteness) of the comments, I don't think he is completely and utterly off base.   Commercials ARE a place to make political/identity politics statements for the companies putting them on, and have been for decades.

It's long been a trope of commercials that the hubby is a bumbling boob that wouldn't know how to wash a piece of clothing or clean a room to save his life, but thank god his smart and loving wife can save the day with "TIDE!  If it's got to be clean, it's got to be TIDE!"TM  Or how about that car commercial where the guy is slaving over wallboards and diagrams like Sherlock Holmes (the spot is called "The Detective") trying to buy a car, and his girl comes in and three clicks later on the cellphone and he has the car of his dreams! Silver!  Low miles! "Whoo, I'm beat!" she exclaims while he mutters, "let's do it your way then" sheepishly.  "CarGurus!"

At least where I live - some commercials are regional - it's a noticeable change.   More couples are mixed race and/or same-sex than not, at least at a rate well above the general population.  But I don't think it's "racist" or "discriminatory".  What's a better way to scream "HIP!" or "EDGY!" than the gay couple who can't wait to use their new Verizon system to access Disney+ to see the Mandalorian? Or the Latino family that's watched every Star Wars film at least twice? (Let's ignore the subtle message that the more TV/internet you use the better and happier you are, despite all evidence to the contrary!)

And "noticing something" isn't the same - nor should it be - as "being bothered by it" or "wanting to stop it".   We've been subtly programmed to notice these things by their absence; what's different about noticing them by their presence?

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #275 on: January 03, 2020, 10:16:24 AM »
The perfect solution? Replace all actors in commercials with Gary Busey. I'm still laughing at his Amazon Fire Stick commercial.
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #276 on: January 03, 2020, 10:18:44 AM »
The perfect solution? Replace all actors in commercials with Gary Busey. I'm still laughing at his Amazon Fire Stick commercial.

His best moment? On Impractical Jokers, when he comes into the store and throws water in Sal's face because Sal called him "Nick Nolte" by accident.  :)

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #277 on: January 03, 2020, 10:23:55 AM »

His best moment? On Impractical Jokers, when he comes into the store and throws water in Sal's face because Sal called him "Nick Nolte" by accident.  :)

Haha. I suggest you look into the show I'm With Busey. One season, very short lived, but I remember watching it when it premiered on Comedy Central and that's where I really fell in love with Busey.
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #278 on: January 03, 2020, 12:49:13 PM »
I really don't watch a lot of TV.  I hit the road to the office at 5AM and usually don't get home until after 6PM, and by the time I grab a bite to eat and knock down a couple of cold ones it's time to crash and do it all over again.  I do like watching "The Curse of Oak Island" and any of the car shows on MT channel like "Texas Metal" and "Bitch'n Rides"!  But what I find disturbing these days is the obvious political innuendos in just about every commercial I have to sit through.  Some are just flat out racist against white men.  Think GEICO and several other insurance ads.  If white men aren't being mocked in some way they're being completely dominated by a woman or some other person of color, and if that's not true then they're usually gay.  Also forget a white man white woman couple, it's mostly interracial, which is fine, but is it reality or is it the left ramming their anti-white agenda down our brains? 

We have an entire P/R subforum for this kind of post.  Let's keep it there, please.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline DTinTX

« Reply #279 on: January 03, 2020, 08:17:43 PM »
We have an entire P/R subforum for this kind of post.  Let's keep it there, please.
[/quote]

OK sorry about that, but I’m not able to post in the p/r forum, and I figured posting my controversial opinions on TV would be OK here.  I’d rather not have access to that either as I’m about 7 months sober of posting comments on political forums!  Trust me, you guys don’t want me in there anyway… lol.  If it’s OK though I’d like a chance to defend my comment…             
« Last Edit: January 03, 2020, 08:26:46 PM by DTinTX »