Author Topic: Your controversial opinions on movies and TV  (Read 29383 times)

Offline soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
Re: Your controversial opinions on movies and TV
« Reply #210 on: October 21, 2019, 02:23:54 AM »
Not overly controversial.  More a fact  ;D

More American's need to discover 'Peep Show'.   

Offline ThatOneGuy2112

« Reply #211 on: October 23, 2019, 02:19:23 PM »
Maybe I just have a really juvenile sense of humor, but I unironically think Scary Movie 3 is pretty funny and there's moments in it that leaves me in stitches.

It's the only movie in that franchise I can say that about, and maybe it has to do with how much fun it seems they had filming that movie.

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #212 on: October 23, 2019, 02:40:16 PM »
I havent seen scary movie 3 in a long, long time but from what I remember is was really really funny.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #213 on: October 23, 2019, 02:45:02 PM »
Maybe I just have a really juvenile sense of humor, but I unironically think Scary Movie 3 is pretty funny and there's moments in it that leaves me in stitches.

It's the only movie in that franchise I can say that about, and maybe it has to do with how much fun it seems they had filming that movie.

I finally found someone who shares my thoughts on Scary Movie 3! I'm with you that the rest of the franchise is kinda whatever for me. 1 and 2 are OK i guess, after 3 it gets worse and worse but Scary Movie 3 is like a hidden diamond among the spoof movies. I wouldn't put it as high as Naked Gun or Top Secret, or even Hot Shots, but there are scenes in Scary Movie 3 that still makes me laugh out loud and for whatever reason a majority of the gags work for me and the co-running storylines that blends mostly spoofing Signs with the Ring work really well together.

"The dogs are acting strangely", the scene in the basement when Charlie Sheen wants to board up the door, Leslie Nielsen as the president "crazy like a fox", the kid who takes damage all the time and the spoof on the ring tape. And i love the 2 black guys bantering. :D

Offline ThatOneGuy2112

« Reply #214 on: October 23, 2019, 03:46:30 PM »
Leslie Nielsen and Charlie Sheen definitely steal the show for me.

The scene where the sheriff's hat keeps getting bigger and bigger.  :lol

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
« Reply #215 on: October 26, 2019, 12:16:19 AM »
I think sitcoms in general are terribly unfunny and boring, I've watched plenty and have rarely laughed at any of them :natalieportman:

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #216 on: October 26, 2019, 02:00:12 AM »
I think sitcoms in general are terribly unfunny and boring, I've watched plenty and have rarely laughed at any of them :natalieportman:

Seinfeld though!

I can sort of see your point because I feel with a lot of sitcoms that I just casually watch if nothing else is on TV, it's rare that they make me chuckle and even more rare that I get a good laugh from it. I think at this point though, a lot of the scenarios have been done before and every time i see a 'newer' sitcom blatantly rip off an older one it just feels weird, like we're already out of ideas. For example in Scrubs there's an episode where the main character dates a girl and breaks up with her because she never laughs, she just says "thats funny" - something that also happens in an older episode of Seinfeld. There also seems to be a trend in the writing for many (not all) sitcoms where the characters have to go through finding the one (in many shows two of the main characters get together), you show the dating, the marriage, getting kids and so on, and usually they squeeze the same jokes out of these scenarios. I feel like the whole 'couple arguing over what to name their baby'-trope happens in every sitcom that has a character becoming a parent, heck they even did it twice on Friends!

There's a few sitcoms I really like (Seinfeld especially) but I can see your point because a lot of them do have kinda generic writing.

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #217 on: October 26, 2019, 02:32:24 AM »
Scrubs however was great because it showed actual progress in the carreers of the protagonists, while other sticoms strive to mantain the status quo as long as they can, often with unrealistic results. The guys in Scrubs changed tasks and had carrers and it was actually nice to follow through that.

I think there's also a matter of habit and liking the show - once a show wins you over, you're in for the ride, regardless of how much every single episode or every single joke is great or not. As long as the overall quality or enjoyment is still there, you keep watching, it's like being fan of a band - you don't stop listening to a band because a single song on an album is average.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #218 on: October 26, 2019, 05:32:51 AM »
Scrubs however was great because it showed actual progress in the carreers of the protagonists, while other sticoms strive to mantain the status quo as long as they can, often with unrealistic results. The guys in Scrubs changed tasks and had carrers and it was actually nice to follow through that.

I think there's also a matter of habit and liking the show - once a show wins you over, you're in for the ride, regardless of how much every single episode or every single joke is great or not. As long as the overall quality or enjoyment is still there, you keep watching, it's like being fan of a band - you don't stop listening to a band because a single song on an album is average.

Oh I didn't mean to sound negative towards Scrubs, I actually used to love that show a lot. (I say used to only because after my 3-4 rewatches I haven't seen it in years) but like you said it had many strengths and even now with all the sitcoms that have come out since, it still had a unique feel to it and the mix of comedy and serious moments worked pretty well.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #219 on: October 28, 2019, 08:29:35 AM »

It's like music, though.  After a while you start to see the patterns, you start to see the cliches and tropes, and for me it ruins it.  I'm over the sitcoms that simply set up obvious scenarios and pepper them with snarky, quippy zingers, with the obligatory wink (actual or metaphorical) at the audience.

I DVR a ton of shows, and I think "It's Always Sunny...", "Curb Your Enthusiasm" and "Archer" are the only sit-coms I record.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #220 on: October 28, 2019, 08:37:20 AM »
I DVR a ton of shows, and I think "It's Always Sunny...", "Curb Your Enthusiasm" and "Archer" are the only sit-coms I record.

Are you watching the new season of Always Sunny? The third episode, "Dee Day" had me in fits of laughter. Frank dressed as Martina Martinez dry heaving in the parking lot had me laughing harder than I've laughed in a few seasons.
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #221 on: October 28, 2019, 09:17:56 AM »

Are you watching the new season of Always Sunny? The third episode, "Dee Day" had me in fits of laughter. Frank dressed as Martina Martinez dry heaving in the parking lot had me laughing harder than I've laughed in a few seasons.

Not yet; I'm trying to burn off other stuff, and I've resumed watching Game Of Thrones.  I watched "Battle Of The Bastards" last night, in fact.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #222 on: October 28, 2019, 09:20:39 AM »

Not yet; I'm trying to burn off other stuff, and I've resumed watching Game Of Thrones.  I watched "Battle Of The Bastards" last night, in fact.

Ooh! Review! REVIEW!! That's one of my most favorite GoT episodes.
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #223 on: October 29, 2019, 07:38:54 AM »
That was an unbelievable episode.  My daughter said it was an epic show and she was right.   I was literally sitting on the edge of my seat - I mean that, I was leaning forward, wringing my hands - at the thought of Ramsey Bolton killing Jon Snow or either of Tormund and Davos (I like them both).  My heart broke a little when Davos found the carving he gave to Stannis' daughter.

I've changed 180 degrees on Sansa; I thought she was a weak character, and not deserving of the Stark name.  I thought all the Stark kids were sort of weak, in the same way that Ned was; "intellectually" isn't the right word, but certainly they were not master strategists.   She showed me wrong; her scene with Jon Snow is a game changer.   Angry at Jon Snow for falling for Ramsey's trap, he should know better (that's what I mean by "weak").   Scared that Baelish is going to exact a too-high price for saving the day and helping to restore Winterfell.

Online Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #224 on: October 29, 2019, 08:02:24 AM »
I love watching people watch stuff for the first time  :corn

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #225 on: October 29, 2019, 08:06:09 AM »
I love watching people watch stuff for the first time  :corn

Funny you say that; I had to negotiate to get to watch S6E9 without my daughter, the price being that I couldn't watch S6E10 without her, but the next day I called to renegotiate.  So I can watch the season finale, and up to S7E8 in the next season.  Between everything else we have going on, and barring a snow storm, that ought to put her home for the end of Season 7.  But she SO wants to be there when we watch it.   

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #226 on: December 03, 2019, 08:51:55 PM »
A Christmas Story is a crappy movie.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline New World Rushman

« Reply #227 on: December 04, 2019, 06:06:38 AM »
Reported

Offline lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #228 on: December 04, 2019, 06:17:48 AM »
I have honestly only seen this movie once a few years ago and I wasn't sure what the fuss was all about. It was just OK. I assume there's some nostalgia thing that I missed out on by not seeing it as a kid.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #229 on: December 04, 2019, 06:33:15 AM »
A Christmas story 2 is the real shit show imo

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #230 on: December 04, 2019, 07:33:40 AM »

Someone's hitting the egg nog early.  I love that movie, though, to be fair, it's less about the movie itself than the context around it; it was always a family favorite, and it's certainly one of my mom's favorite movies of all time.  This is a woman, mind you, that has a room in her condo that's dedicated to Santa Clause year round.   :)

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #231 on: December 04, 2019, 07:35:17 AM »
A Christmas Story rules. WTF?

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #232 on: December 04, 2019, 07:41:04 AM »
Thought triggered by the Tarantino thread:   Not a fan of Joe Pesci for the most part.  I think he's a good actor, and he's done some things that are good, but the "over the top", "hilarious" Pesci? I haven't seen that yet.

Also, the logical leaps in procedurals on TV.  I get it, it's an hour, so we can only do so much, but I do think it's a bigger issue than just sloppy TV.   You know the drill: a cop finds an unknown hair at the crime scene, they get a match (often communicated by the savvy, hipster tech, but that's another complaint), and WHAMMO! they're all "we found our killer!".  Wut?   Are you SURE it's not the creep in the plain white van from the Amazon Delivery service?  I'm watching "FBI" (don't be mad:  Missy Peregrym, Ebonee Noel and Alana de la Garza are all hot, and I'm a big fan of Jeremy Sisto) and they are BRUTAL with those logical leaps.   But - and I'm sorry to bleed out here - is it any wonder that we're happy with "quid pro quo" alone, or a picture of someone standing in the same shot as Jeffrey Epstein as evidence of crimes? 

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #233 on: December 04, 2019, 07:45:01 AM »
Thought triggered by the Tarantino thread:   Not a fan of Joe Pesci for the most part.  I think he's a good actor, and he's done some things that are good, but the "over the top", "hilarious" Pesci? I haven't seen that yet.

Ignoring the blood you've spilled on my brand new floor, did you know Pesci was a lounge singer before becoming an actor, and has actually released a few records?

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #234 on: December 04, 2019, 07:49:27 AM »

Ignoring the blood you've spilled on my brand new floor, did you know Pesci was a lounge singer before becoming an actor, and has actually released a few records?

I did not know that; although I did know about his associations with Frankie Valli and the Four Seasons (especially Tommy DeVito, who, I believe, worked for him in later years).

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #235 on: December 04, 2019, 07:56:13 AM »
Hah. That's funny, considering Pesci played Tommy DeSimone - name changed to DeVito for the film - in Goodfellas in '90.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #236 on: December 04, 2019, 08:11:03 AM »
Hah. That's funny, considering Pesci played Tommy DeSimone - name changed to DeVito for the film - in Goodfellas in '90.

That wasn't an accident, as I understand it.  It was an homage (at that time, DeVito was a little down on his luck, while Frankie Valli was still a marquee act).

Offline pg1067

« Reply #237 on: December 04, 2019, 10:34:12 AM »
I have honestly only seen this movie once a few years ago and I wasn't sure what the fuss was all about. It was just OK. I assume there's some nostalgia thing that I missed out on by not seeing it as a kid.

I can't say with certainty that I've ever seen it all the way through.  It came out when I was 16, so it should be right in my wheelhouse, but I don't think I saw it in the theater.  I don't know that I'd go so far as to call it crappy (a term reserved for something like National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation), but I also don't get what all the fuss is about.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #238 on: December 04, 2019, 10:38:57 AM »
Well, it's endlessly quotable. "Did you hear what he said?!:rollin

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #239 on: December 04, 2019, 10:45:52 AM »
"In the heat of battle my father wove a tapestry of obscenity that, as far as we know, is still hanging in space over Lake Michigan."
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #240 on: December 04, 2019, 10:48:16 AM »
"In the heat of battle my father wove a tapestry of obscenity that, as far as we know, is still hanging in space over Lake Michigan."

:lol :lol

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #241 on: December 04, 2019, 11:50:00 AM »
Controversial maybe... Joe Pesci's best performance was in Raging Bull. Ray Liotta should have won Pesci's Goodfellas Oscar.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #242 on: December 04, 2019, 11:53:28 AM »
Controversial maybe... Joe Pesci's best performance was in Raging Bull. Ray Liotta should have won Pesci's Goodfellas Oscar.
If it's controversial, we're both controversial, because I agree with both statements.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #243 on: December 04, 2019, 11:55:13 AM »
I don't know that I'd go so far as to call it crappy (a term reserved for something like National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation), but I also don't get what all the fuss is about.
See now, I love Christmas Vacation. To each their own I guess.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #244 on: December 04, 2019, 12:21:01 PM »
I don't know that I'd go so far as to call it crappy (a term reserved for something like National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation), but I also don't get what all the fuss is about.
See now, I love Christmas Vacation. To each their own I guess.

I'd say it's been over watched by pretty much every one, but there's a reason why, because it's a fantastic christmas comedy.  I just hate watching it these days because of having seen it so much, it lost some of its charm on me.