Author Topic: Your controversial opinions on movies and TV  (Read 29356 times)

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
Re: Your controversial opinions on movies and TV
« Reply #105 on: June 20, 2019, 06:26:52 AM »
Similarly, if you haven't watched every episode of a TV show, you have no grounds to say that a show sucks.  That's like saying SFAM is a terrible album because Regression is boring.

While I agree with much of what you said, I'm not sure I do with this. I think if someone has seen at least a sizable portion of a given TV show (more so if it's still currently airing), then they probably have a decent grasp on what it is they do and don't like about it and have good grounds to decide whether or not it's for them.

Thats like giving up on Cheers or Seinfeld or Star Trek TNG after Season 1.

@ Tim.  As a Bostonian, you should go to the penalty box and feel shame.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #106 on: June 20, 2019, 06:39:49 AM »
I only got through 3 episodes of Barry and that was enough to inform me the show indeed sucks
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #107 on: June 20, 2019, 07:38:12 AM »
I only got through 3 episodes of Barry and that was enough to inform me the show indeed sucks

And that's totally fine.  I've got countless shows I could say the same for.  But people then can't make the proclamation that the entire show sucks.  What you saw sucks (not picking on you specifically here MJ).
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #108 on: June 20, 2019, 07:45:23 AM »

And that's totally fine.  I've got countless shows I could say the same for.  But people then can't make the proclamation that the entire show sucks.  What you saw sucks (not picking on you specifically here MJ).

Nah, I get what you're saying. I often just say something sucks as shorthand for "I didn't like it/what I saw of it" or "I have seen enough to know that unless this changes this isn't for me." I may not know what happens later on but I've usually got the gist of the show before I call it a day (although leaving stuff unfinished normally bothers me, so I have to really dislike it to tap out).
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #109 on: June 20, 2019, 08:48:03 AM »
Tim.  Punch yourself in the nuts for not knowing.

I had to also look up who that was.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #110 on: June 20, 2019, 07:13:51 PM »

I had to also look up who that was.

Nice, so I can punch you in the nuts too! :lol
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #111 on: June 20, 2019, 07:20:58 PM »

Controversial opinion of my own... Denny Crane is the greatest TV character ever.  Change my mind.

In order for me to change your mind, you'll have to tell me who the hell that is first.  :lol

@ Tim.  As a Bostonian, you should go to the penalty box and feel shame.

So I did google Denny Crane..

Boston fucking Legal?? Really? Who fucking watched that? I mean, that was on even when I did watch TV and I would never go near such suckage. WTF? Denny Crane..
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #112 on: June 20, 2019, 07:24:18 PM »
Tim, I didn't watch it but I knew it and it was up there for shows rating. 
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #113 on: June 20, 2019, 07:28:22 PM »
I remember the show. Never watched it.

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #114 on: June 21, 2019, 08:20:57 AM »

And yet you know it sucks?  You're incorrigible sometimes.  Go Google that.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #115 on: June 21, 2019, 10:18:55 AM »

And yet you know it sucks?  You're incorrigible sometimes.  Go Google that.

:lol

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #116 on: July 19, 2019, 02:04:14 PM »
Here's one:  Idris Elba isn't that great an actor.  I mean, he isn't bad by any stretch.  I have nothing against him whatsoever.  But I'm not sure why he seems to be so fawned over.  I haven't seen him in anything where I stopped and said to myself "wow!  That is a brilliant bit of acting!"
!
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline pg1067

« Reply #117 on: July 19, 2019, 02:08:49 PM »
Here's one:  Idris Elba isn't that great an actor.  I mean, he isn't bad by any stretch.  I have nothing against him whatsoever.  But I'm not sure why he seems to be so fawned over.  I haven't seen him in anything where I stopped and said to myself "wow!  That is a brilliant bit of acting!"
!

As far as I can tell, other than a handful of superhero movies and a couple cartoon voice roles, I've never seen anything he's done.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #118 on: July 19, 2019, 02:13:31 PM »
Must. Watch. Luther.
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline krands85

« Reply #119 on: July 19, 2019, 02:34:08 PM »
And The Wire.
Whoaaaahh, ohhh, ohhhhh. Whoaaaahh, ohhhhh, ohhhhhh. Waaah, ahhh, haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaowwwwww

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #120 on: July 20, 2019, 04:32:48 AM »
Must. Watch. Luther.

Strongly advised, yes! but every starter has to know that Season 1 is the weakest. So if you like the characters but not the episodes themselves, hold on, it only gets better and better.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #121 on: July 20, 2019, 08:24:44 AM »
!

I agree. I think he's incredibly handsome which lends to his popularity, but I haven't seen any films where his acting has blown me away like other actors have. I will say he was one of the best parts of that god awful Dark Tower film adaptation. In that case he took a garbage script and did his best with it.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #122 on: October 06, 2019, 09:21:37 AM »
Not sure if this is a controversial opinion about movies, or music... but Let It Go is the best song from any Disney movie ever.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #123 on: October 06, 2019, 09:58:27 AM »
Not sure if this is a controversial opinion about movies, or music... but Let It Go is the best song from any Disney movie ever.

Well, if Nightwish had wrote it, it would have been a smash it in the veins of Nemo or Dark Chest of Wonders.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
« Reply #124 on: October 06, 2019, 10:00:19 AM »
bosk, have you seen The Wire or Luther? He's great in both. Unfortunately he seems to get (or choose?) roles that aren't that great, in movies at least.

Offline lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #125 on: October 06, 2019, 10:53:37 AM »
That is a good one. I wasn't a huge fan of Frozen in general though. I think I'd put A Whole New World at the top of the list. Circle of Life is up there too.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #126 on: October 06, 2019, 11:10:46 AM »
My 2 year old has been going around singing (as best she can) Let It Go because they have been listening to it at day care. My older kid and I decided we might as well play the CD for her, which we own. I was surprising moved when it played, I hadn't heard it in years. Not often you get the theme of "Fuck all y'all" in a Disney song.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • welcome to the wasteland
« Reply #127 on: October 07, 2019, 08:58:42 AM »
Not often you get the theme of "Fuck all y'all" in a Disney song.
:lol

Conspiracy theory level opinion: the "golden age of TV" is a way to make otherwise intelligent people too interested in their TV screens.

Okay, that's probably not true, but it's still what goes through my head when I hear endless TV show talk from my friends. Really, is the new HBO drama THAT riveting? I will watch an adaptation of a book series I like, or I'll re-watch something that's relaxing and funny to me, like Gilmore Girls. Keeping up with TV shows, seasons-worth of content at a time, starting new ones timely to avoid spoilers, it all sounds so stressful, and with TV shows tackling such big themes and featuring so much violence and disturbing content, it seems like it would stress me out if it were my hobby. Don't have Netflix, can't make me get it. HBO is also gone forever unless the Long Night GoT prequel is good and answers some of my questions.

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

type : mora : and delete the spaces for a surprise

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #128 on: October 07, 2019, 09:08:16 AM »
bosk, have you seen The Wire or Luther? He's great in both. Unfortunately he seems to get (or choose?) roles that aren't that great, in movies at least.

No, I haven't.  But I'll take your word for it that he's great in those.   I just haven't been overly wowed by anything I have seen him in.  Again, not saying he's been bad, or even average.  He's been pretty solid.  Just not great

I agree on Let It Go.  Solid song.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #129 on: October 07, 2019, 09:21:49 AM »
The best Disney song is Randy Newman's "You Got A Friend In Me" :)

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #130 on: October 07, 2019, 09:26:51 AM »
Yeah, that one is up there too.  Honestly, Disney has been knocking it out of the park in the music department since forever. 

Offline soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #131 on: October 07, 2019, 09:30:42 AM »
Must. Watch. Luther.

Strongly advised, yes! but every starter has to know that Season 1 is the weakest. So if you like the characters but not the episodes themselves, hold on, it only gets better and better.

Never ever seen this opinion anywhere, most consider series 1 the best. 
But this is the controversial thread, so maybe your opinion is correct in that context!

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #132 on: October 07, 2019, 01:40:46 PM »

No, I haven't.  But I'll take your word for it that he's great in those.   I just haven't been overly wowed by anything I have seen him in.  Again, not saying he's been bad, or even average.  He's been pretty solid.  Just not great
IMO, Elba is SO good in The Wire and Luther that I would argue that if you haven't seen them, you haven't seen HIM yet.

Controversial opnion?  Terriers was ahead of its time and never should have been canceled.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline ZirconBlue

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #133 on: October 07, 2019, 03:04:25 PM »

Boston fucking Legal?? Really? Who fucking watched that? I mean, that was on even when I did watch TV and I would never go near such suckage. WTF? Denny Crane..

Boston Legal was a fantastic show.  James Spader at his Spaderist and Shatner dialing it up to 11 as Denny Crane.  Add Rene Auberjonois and Candice Bergen (and Betty White!) in recurring roles and it was awesome.

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #134 on: October 08, 2019, 01:19:08 PM »

Boston Legal was a fantastic show.  James Spader at his Spaderist and Shatner dialing it up to 11 as Denny Crane.  Add Rene Auberjonois and Candice Bergen (and Betty White!) in recurring roles and it was awesome.

^This. Betty White murdered her timid-serial-killer-boyfriend with a freaking frying pan, for crying out loud. It doesn't get better than that!  :lol
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #135 on: October 08, 2019, 01:28:18 PM »
Controversial opinion of my own... Denny Crane is the greatest TV character ever.  Change my mind.

So... I came in at the mocking of Tim, which isn't all that unusual (that didn't come out right), so I thought I'd scroll back.  Okay, making fun of Tim for not knowing something pop culture. Still not that unusual (still not coming out right).   But then I scroll back to this horse hockey. 

Chad, did someone tamper with your beer?   

In a genre that has Leroy Jethro Gibbs (my personal favorite), "Sudden" Sam Malone, Major Frank Burns, Archie Bunker, Raymond "Red" Reddington, Don Draper, George Costanza, Arthur "Fonzie" Fonzarelli, Tony Soprano, Tyrion Lanister, Walter White, Jack Bauer, Thomas Magnum, you're going with Denny Crane? 

He's not even the best LAWYER character.   Not with Jack McCoy, Saul Goodman, Barry Zuckerkorn, and Richard Fish on the docket (so to speak).  :)

He's not even the best SHATNER character, though that's not saying much (not a Shatner fan, sorry, though James Tiberius Kirk was the man.)

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #136 on: October 08, 2019, 01:41:55 PM »

So... I came in at the mocking of Tim, which isn't all that unusual (that didn't come out right), so I thought I'd scroll back.  Okay, making fun of Tim for not knowing something pop culture. Still not that unusual (still not coming out right).   But then I scroll back to this horse hockey. 

Chad, did someone tamper with your beer?   

In a genre that has Leroy Jethro Gibbs (my personal favorite), "Sudden" Sam Malone, Major Frank Burns, Archie Bunker, Raymond "Red" Reddington, Don Draper, George Costanza, Arthur "Fonzie" Fonzarelli, Tony Soprano, Tyrion Lanister, Walter White, Jack Bauer, Thomas Magnum, you're going with Denny Crane? 

He's not even the best LAWYER character.   Not with Jack McCoy, Saul Goodman, Barry Zuckerkorn, and Richard Fish on the docket (so to speak).  :)

He's not even the best SHATNER character, though that's not saying much (not a Shatner fan, sorry, though James Tiberius Kirk was the man.)

Bolded everyone that I don't know! :lol

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #137 on: October 08, 2019, 02:00:47 PM »
You've never seen M*A*S*H?

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #138 on: October 08, 2019, 02:03:02 PM »
You don't know who Walter White is? Why am I not surprised. Good grief, Charlie Brown. :rollin

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #139 on: October 08, 2019, 02:05:31 PM »
You've never seen M*A*S*H?

I never watched MASH. I may have seen an episode or two when I was younger at my grandparents house. Even in reruns, I just never found it funny. I know Jamie Farr played a crazy guy or something like that.

You don't know who Walter White is? Why am I not surprised. Good grief, Charlie Brown. :rollin

Hey, I know who Charlie Brown is!