General > Movies and TV

Your controversial opinions on movies and TV

(1/59) > >>

bosk1:
Why don't we have this thread?  ???  Well, now we do!

Here's the thought that prompted this.  And maybe this actually isn't very "controversial," but...  I don't want to know a whole lot about the real lives of most TV/film actors and actresses.  Why?  Well, two issues, really.  And there is often a great deal of overlap between the two.  First, I find that I frequently find the views of a LOT of actors and actresses to be naive, ill-informed, and sometimes even just outright repugant and off-putting.  Second, many of them, if they got into acting and became celebrities at a very young age, have lived a very different, insulted life than the vast majority of people.  Or even if they got into it a bit later in life, they have lived that life for long enough that they don't really remember or identify with what it means to live a "regular life" in the "real world."  They are out of touch and don't appreciate how things actually work in the "real world."  They are idealists without understanding why their ideals are often completely misplaced.  I would be content if they would just shut up and not pontificate about real-world issues.  I would be content to not know what they really think about...well, just about anything.  Because once I find out, I tend to lose a lot of respect for them.  I would rather just appreciate their work onscreen.  /rant

KevShmev:
I'll start:

Most classic westerns from the 60's and 70's are boring.  A friend once talked me into watching The Outlaw Josey Wales and I was never so bored.

The Wire isn't all that like many insist.

Jack Nicholson is more great personality than great actor.

MirrorMask:
2001 - A Space Odyssey is utterly boring.

Yes, it was technologically groundbreaking for the time, it would be silly to deny it. It would be even sillier to deny that it was influential for the entire sci-fi genre (it basically invented sci-fi) as much as the Beatles were influential for today's music.

But the actual story itself as portrayed in the movie? I couldn't wait for it to end. I watched it to experience such a classic and influential movie but I will never, ever watch it again, not even some little bits here and there.

The Walrus:
Pulp Fiction is hot garbage. Kill Bill (both parts, but specifically part 2) is Tarantino's best film.

pg1067:

--- Quote from: bosk1 on May 17, 2019, 10:57:25 AM ---Here's the thought that prompted this.  And maybe this actually isn't very "controversial," but...  I don't want to know a whole lot about the real lives of most TV/film actors and actresses.

--- End quote ---

I don't know if it's controversial either, but I agree both that I don't care much about the personal lives of celebrities, and that I don't care in the slightest what celebrities think about issues that are outside the purview of their profession.  I don't really care what Russell Crowe thinks is the best way to prepare for a role, but that's at least something within his area of expertise, but I really don't give a rip what he thinks about stuff outside of his purview.

My (possibly) controversial opinions:

1. The Cosby Show sucked.
2. Quentin Tarantino hasn't done anything worth a damn (I've disliked everything he's done that I've seen and don't give a rip about stuff I haven't seen).

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version