Author Topic: Where is the transition?  (Read 2338 times)

Offline John II

Where is the transition?
« on: May 16, 2019, 03:21:13 AM »
Hey guys, a bit of an ambitious first post, and I make no apologies for the clickbait title  :laugh:
Where do you think the transition is between a functioning member of society and a Dream Theater geek?
Personally I think recognizing all the songs in Instrumedley of Live at Budokan is where it is. I've noticed TDoE, Erotomania, Ytse Jam, a DT song I can't quite think of the title to, and Paradigm Shift. Which means I may not be a DT geek, but I'm definitely a music geek (and not a functioning member of society by any means).
Give me a chance though, I've only been listening to Dream Theater for about 5 months (and metal in general for 6 months.)

Offline TheCountOfNYC

Re: Where is the transition?
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2019, 05:27:15 AM »
Ytse Jam
Metropolis
Erotomania
A Change of Seasons
Hell’s Kitchen
The Dance of Eternity
Paradigm Shift
Universal Mind
People figured out that the white thing that comes out of cows' titties could be drunk, and the relation between sweet desires and women's bellies growing up for 9 months. It can't be THAT hard to figure out how a trumpet works.”

-MirrorMask

Offline Max Kuehnau

• Emotionless Brainiac
  • Doomed to be a man this world forgot
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2019, 05:37:36 AM »
Hey guys, a bit of an ambitious first post, and I make no apologies for the clickbait title  :laugh:
Where do you think the transition is between a functioning member of society and a Dream Theater geek?
Personally I think recognizing all the songs in Instrumedley of Live at Budokan is where it is. I've noticed TDoE, Erotomania, Ytse Jam, a DT song I can't quite think of the title to, and Paradigm Shift. Which means I may not be a DT geek, but I'm definitely a music geek (and not a functioning member of society by any means).
Give me a chance though, I've only been listening to Dream Theater for about 5 months (and metal in general for 6 months.)
you will make your way through all their albums eventually. Welcome. (and of course, you will turn into a DT geek in the process, I'm sure.)
"All my natural instincts are begging me to stop
But somehow I carry on, heading for the top
A physical absurdity, a tremendous mental game
Helping me understand exactly who I am"

Offline geeeemo

« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2019, 07:53:19 AM »
Been into DT 3 years now.  I think full DT geekdom for me was when I tried to turn the Walmart customer service girl onto Dream Theater :rollin

Offline Max Kuehnau

• Emotionless Brainiac
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2019, 07:53:47 AM »
Been into DT 3 years now.  I think full DT geekdom for me was when I tried to turn the Walmart customer service girl onto Dream Theater :rollin
that must have been comedic

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2019, 12:57:12 PM »
I'm a DT geek and a functioning member of society.  Yes, it is possible to be both.   :biggrin:
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline TheCountOfMinnesota

« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2019, 01:01:14 PM »
It sounds like we're discussing the difference between fandom and obsessive fandom.  For me, it comes down to something like this.

Fandom: buying all the albums, going to shows in your city, repping the merch, etc.

Obsessive fandom/geekdom: familiarizing yourself with the deep catalog, thinking about the band when you're not listening to them, traveling to shows/seeing multiple shows on a tour, spreading the gospel to your friends and family, worrying about conflict/drama within the band, spending time on DTF when you should really be working, etc.

Quick DT geekdom story of my own: I was at a party at a friend's house a few years ago when Amazon's Alexa was a new thing.  My friend was the earliest adoptor any of us knew, and he was explaining how it could "play anything you ask for" (staight up science fiction as far as we were concerned).  We all wanted to test it out, and someone in the room said, "hey Aaron, see if it knows any songs by that band you like so much".  So I say "Alexa, play a song by Dream Theater".  Alexa happily responds with "playing songs by Dream Theater" and proceeds to play... The Answer Lies Within.  After some confused/disappointed looks from around the room, I dejectedly gave a more specific instruction: "Alexa, play Pull Me Under by Dream Theater".   

PBR me ASAP

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2019, 01:28:31 PM »
I don't consider it "obsessive" fandom to be familiar with a band's catalog.  I would consider that a pretty normal thing for most fans of a given band. 
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline TheCountOfMinnesota

« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2019, 01:36:34 PM »
I should have clarified what I meant by 'deep catalog'.  I was thinking of unreleased tracks, b-sides, bootlegs, etc.
PBR me ASAP

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2019, 02:26:07 PM »
I still would not call it obsessive. Depending on your passion for music, you might want to listen to as much as you can from the band you love, including bootlegs, b-sides and what not.

Example, Dont remember the DVD, but there's a version of Surrounded in which Petrucci goes off improvising and even plays some Pink Floyd in the song section, which to me is amazing. I love the original, but also love this version of it.

To me, obsessive is when you cross the line between musical interest and personal life (Stalking!).
Vmadera has evolved into Lonk

Offline millahh

• Retired Pedantic Bastard
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • RIP Mark
« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2019, 02:42:14 PM »
Death.

It's not the end, only a transition.
Quote from: parallax
WHEN WILL YOU ADRESS MY MONKEY ARGUMENT???? NEVER???? THAT\' WHAT I FIGURED.:lol

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2019, 07:26:31 AM »
Death.

It's not the end, only a transition.
:metal
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Sebastián Pratesi

« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2019, 06:28:28 PM »
Example, Dont remember the DVD, but there's a version of Surrounded in which Petrucci goes off improvising and even plays some Pink Floyd in the song section, which to me is amazing. I love the original, but also love this version of it.
That's Chaos In Motion. JP plays the solo of "Mother".

Offline Max Kuehnau

• Emotionless Brainiac
« Reply #13 on: May 18, 2019, 06:37:19 AM »
That's Chaos In Motion. JP plays the solo of "Mother".
over the changes of Sugar Mice by Marillion (they launch into the chorus of the thing too. ("Daddy Took A Raincheck....") Makes sense too, they both are in the same key as most of Surrounded

Offline zappafrank2112

« Reply #14 on: May 18, 2019, 07:26:32 PM »
over the changes of Sugar Mice by Marillion (they launch into the chorus of the thing too. ("Daddy Took A Raincheck....") Makes sense too, they both are in the same key as most of Surrounded

They did the Sugar Mice snippet in Surrounded when I saw them on the Chaos in Motion tour, and I geeked out.  I wonder how many people in the audience recognized it.  I could imagine a lot of DT fans not actually knowing Marillion for one reason or another.

Offline Drinktheater

« Reply #15 on: June 20, 2019, 11:29:11 AM »
I don't consider it "obsessive" fandom to be familiar with a band's catalog.  I would consider that a pretty normal thing for most fans of a given band.

For me the realization that I am a Geek that can't function in society is when I started to think or believe that DTs lyrics is some sort of prophecy trying to communicate to me and tell me what will happen with my life.
And she listens openly

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #16 on: June 20, 2019, 11:35:37 AM »
OK, yeah, I think you've successfully identified where the line is.  :lol
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."