Poll

Do you consider any of these albums to be "perfect"?

WDADU
2 (0.6%)
Images & Words
74 (22.4%)
Awake
42 (12.7%)
FII
6 (1.8%)
SFAM
61 (18.5%)
SDOIT
40 (12.1%)
ToT
12 (3.6%)
Octavarium
16 (4.8%)
Systematic Chaos
5 (1.5%)
BC&SL
3 (0.9%)
ADTOE
17 (5.2%)
Dream Theater
9 (2.7%)
The Astonishing
17 (5.2%)
Distance over Time
26 (7.9%)

Total Members Voted: 110

Author Topic: "Perfect" albums?  (Read 4740 times)

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
Re: "Perfect" albums?
« Reply #35 on: May 23, 2019, 09:12:14 AM »
Well, they're great songs--either top 10 or close to it, every one of them.  But still.  We're talking about perfect albums, not albums with half perfect songs and half forgettable songs.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #36 on: May 23, 2019, 09:17:15 AM »
Yeah, I'd like to buy some pot off you now, if that's cool. You clearly have the good stuff.  :lol
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline H2

« Reply #37 on: May 23, 2019, 12:00:43 PM »
"Perfect" literally means flawless, and every album has something improve upon. DT fans, although seemingly quick to criticize the band and point out flaws, are actually really into the band and want to see a great thing become better. And every album has some sort of valid complaint to lodge against it. I'd argue that SFAM, IAW and SDOIT are closest to being perfect but even they have at least some sort of flaw. Quick examples: SFAM has that overly long and anticlimactic final section of FF; IAW has that triggered snare; SDOIT has a few unnecessary and forgettable instrumental sections on Disc 1.

Offline LKap13

« Reply #38 on: May 23, 2019, 02:51:47 PM »
Distance over time in 5th place. Very impressive

Offline CrimsonSunrise

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #39 on: May 23, 2019, 06:34:58 PM »
I just don't understand the votes for I&W.
There's not a bad or even mediocre song on the album.  I don't normally forward through any tracks.  For me that's perfect  :tup

Offline lovethedrake

« Reply #40 on: May 24, 2019, 08:55:13 AM »
Pull Me Under - Awesome
Another Day - Awesome
Take the Time-  Amazing
Surrounded - Awesome
Metropolis - out of this world incredibly amazing
Under a Glass Moon - Awesome
Waits For Sleep - Awesome
Learning to Live - out of this world incredibly amazing

Hopefully that helps clarify the amount of votes that I&W is getting  ;)

Offline Rob24

« Reply #41 on: May 24, 2019, 05:02:52 PM »
"Perfect" literally means flawless, and every album has something improve upon. DT fans, although seemingly quick to criticize the band and point out flaws, are actually really into the band and want to see a great thing become better. And every album has some sort of valid complaint to lodge against it. I'd argue that SFAM, IAW and SDOIT are closest to being perfect but even they have at least some sort of flaw. Quick examples: SFAM has that overly long and anticlimactic final section of FF; IAW has that triggered snare; SDOIT has a few unnecessary and forgettable instrumental sections on Disc 1.

You say every album has something to improve upon, but I think this is a matter of perspective, and I find yours fairly bleak. What you call flaws, to me, is a reminder that this is piece of music is made by human beings. Your statement would make sense in a scientific or technological context, when saying that a certain goal can always be reached more efficiently, but I don't find that fitting at all in the terrain of art. The goal is for you to be moved, which requires an open heart. Setting some kind of imaginary bar that no one can reach is an effective way to starve oneself of satisfying cultural experiences.

Offline H2

« Reply #42 on: May 24, 2019, 07:15:15 PM »

You say every album has something to improve upon, but I think this is a matter of perspective, and I find yours fairly bleak. What you call flaws, to me, is a reminder that this is piece of music is made by human beings. Your statement would make sense in a scientific or technological context, when saying that a certain goal can always be reached more efficiently, but I don't find that fitting at all in the terrain of art. The goal is for you to be moved, which requires an open heart. Setting some kind of imaginary bar that no one can reach is an effective way to starve oneself of satisfying cultural experiences.
I would definitely say I enjoy and am deeply moved by DT's music, even apart from the albums I mentioned. To me, the question "Which albums are perfect?" suggests an objective means of measuring the perfection of a piece of art, whereas "Which albums deeply move you?" has a purely subjective answer. Now you might point that I am assuming that there are objective ways to measure art, and you would be right. You probably disagree (per your statement "I don't find [my statement] fitting at all in the terrain of art"). I'm guessing we probably a philosophical disagreement over the nature of art.

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #43 on: May 24, 2019, 09:33:32 PM »
Every album has amazing songs, some reaching flawless levels.  As it stands, I think only 3 are perfect from front to back.  To me, that means that there isn't a single moment where it loses momentum or feels a bit off. For instance, I&W is nearly perfect but Wait For Sleep isn't that great of a song.  I don't mind that it's slow, it's just a bit off.

On the flip side, A Dramatic Turn of Events is perfect. There are some songs which I don't dig as much as others, Far From Heaven and On the Backs of Angels being two examples, but there is nothing about those songs that make the album less perfect or kill the momentum. Even Far From Heaven "fits."

Distance Over Time is incredibly consistent and the songs are mostly A+ quality.

Thankfully I'm not alone but I'm certainly in the minority, but I think Systematic Chaos is also perfect.

Those are the only three. 

6DOIT Disc 1 is flawless. Disc 2 isn't.

ToT would be perfect without Honor Thy Father.

Those are just a few examples.

Offline RoeDent

• 2006 Time Magazine Person of the Year
« Reply #44 on: May 25, 2019, 02:21:20 AM »
Everything apart from WDADU, FII, ToT, SC, BC&SL and DT12. And even then, some of those are pretty close. Regardless, nothing should be changed from any of them. They are the way they are, for better or worse.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #45 on: May 26, 2019, 04:54:45 PM »
The only album I consider to be "perfect" is IAW.   Octavarium is my absolute favorite in spite of the one minor flub in TALW.   The concept of the entire piece of art tends to elevate even that song to seem better than it really is.    SFAM is also extremely close, but THE and the first half of Home kinda bring it down for me.   (I know that seems like heresy to some, but ya...I've never much cared for the first half of Home)
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline Lethean

« Reply #46 on: May 27, 2019, 03:25:59 AM »
I think Through Her Eyes is beautiful, and makes the album even better than it would have been without it.

I voted for quite a few albums.  But I don't take things like the snare sound into consideration.  Just how much I like each song on the album. 

Offline dparrott

« Reply #47 on: May 28, 2019, 10:27:44 PM »
THE is "OK" for me, a nice break among the insanity.  I'd say I&W.  Every other album has at least one song I'm not crazy about. 
"I don't know nuttin about nuttin" - Marshawn Lynch

The very soul of what was once real music is now lost in a digital quagmire of emotionless sonic madness.

Offline NotePad

« Reply #48 on: June 06, 2019, 07:56:03 AM »
Awake is their one and only perfect album. 
I love 6DoIT but what stops it from being perfect is a common case for the band: they don't know how much is too much. 

Offline 425

« Reply #49 on: June 08, 2019, 12:13:53 AM »
I would say only Images and Words and Scenes from a Memory are definitely perfect. A Dramatic Turn of Events is right on the line, and whether it is or not more or less depends on how I'm feeling about This is the Life on a given day. Same situation with Train of Thought depending on how I feel about Honor Thy Father. In the poll, I've given them both the benefit of the doubt.

A couple that come close, but fall short: Awake is perfect through The Mirror, but Lie and Lifting Shadows off a Dream are enough of a step down to miss out. And Dream Theater is one of their most consistent albums, but the quality level is not high enough to enter perfect territory, not because of a standout weak song, but because most of the songs (TEI, TLG, EM, BTV, STR, AFTR) are in that good-not-great range.

All the others have songs or elements that clearly detract from the experience enough to easily rule them out of contention:
WDADU: SS, LFAGA
FII: BMS, JLMB
SDOIT: Disappear and the ending of Misunderstood
8VM: NE
SC: Forsaken mainly, but only ITPOE and TMOLS really rise high enough
BCSL: AROP, Wither
TA: Like DT12 doesn't really rise high enough on average, plus the album is really too long.

Have only listened to DOT once.
And if spirit's a sign,
Then it's only a matter of time

Offline krands85

« Reply #50 on: June 08, 2019, 05:19:30 AM »
I would say only Images and Words and Scenes from a Memory are definitely perfect. A Dramatic Turn of Events is right on the line, and whether it is or not more or less depends on how I'm feeling about This is the Life on a given day. Same situation with Train of Thought depending on how I feel about Honor Thy Father. In the poll, I've given them both the benefit of the doubt.
Those are my top 4 DT albums  :tup :coolio
Whoaaaahh, ohhh, ohhhhh. Whoaaaahh, ohhhhh, ohhhhhh. Waaah, ahhh, haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaowwwwww

Offline Tick

• It's time to make a change
  • DTF.org Member
  • Just another tricky day for you
« Reply #51 on: June 08, 2019, 06:23:41 AM »
I'm as big a DT fan boi as there is but I'm not quite sure I can call any album "perfect"
Perhaps SFAM or Six Degrees...
Yup. Tick is dead on.  She's not your type.  Move on.   Tick is Obi Wan Kenobi

Offline jammindude

« Reply #52 on: June 08, 2019, 08:55:44 AM »
I like 425's idea of listing some things that keep an album from "perfection"....because even the amazing albums have that one moment that doesn't quite "click" to make an album absolutely perfect. 

WDADU:  Mostly it's the production here.  OAMOT is the only song that doesn't click with me.
IAW: this is the perfect DT album
Awake: Lie is the only skip track....unfortunately, it's permanently attached to The Mirror, which is the 2nd greatest song on the album.
FII: You Not Me and Lines in the Sand
SFAM: Through Her Eyes and the 1st half of Home
SDOIT: TGD, Disappear
ToT: No real "weaknesses" per se.  It's solid front to back.  Just nothing standout as jaw-droppingly amazing either.  This is DT's "solid offensive line" album.   It's all-pro, but you don't even think about it when it's doing its job. 
8V:  The lyrics of TALW.  SOOOOOO cheesy.   Every line sounds like it was pulled from a fortune cookie.  I mean, literally.   Buy Chinese for the entire crew, put ALL the fortunes together because it was a slow lyric day in the studio, and BAM!   Fortunately, the strength of the concept elevates the entire piece. 
SC:  Too many to mention.  Basically, most of the album.  ITPOE Part 1 and TDEN are the only songs I go back to.  The rest of the album is almost unlistenably bad. 
BCSL: AROP, Wither, and TBOT
ADTOE: OTBOA hasn't aged well for me.  The similarities to PMU detract from it a bit.  It's still OK.  TITL and FFH are just a'ight. 
DT: Surrender to Reason.   I want to love it, because it's JM's first contribution in so long, but the final result just didn't click for me.
TA:  Still love the ambition of the project, but there are too many "half ideas" floating around. I actually wish it would have been fleshed out to 3 discs and had some of those 1 or 2 minute ideas turn into complete songs. 
D/T: Still digesting it...but it's climbing the charts.  But Out of Reach is definitely a clunker.  Really puts a pretty drastic flaw in an otherwise near perfect album.   
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline pg1067

« Reply #53 on: June 10, 2019, 10:08:35 AM »
I like 425's idea of listing some things that keep an album from "perfection"

That approach started about 2-3 weeks ago in the middle of page 1 of the thread.   ;)
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline 425

« Reply #54 on: June 11, 2019, 11:00:12 AM »
Yeah, I'll fully cop to having taken that idea from you! :lol
And if spirit's a sign,
Then it's only a matter of time

Offline CharlesPL

« Reply #55 on: June 11, 2019, 11:15:53 AM »
IaW, Awake, SFAM, SDoIT

Offline Trav86

« Reply #56 on: June 13, 2019, 05:44:12 PM »
Images and Words
A Dramatic Turn of Events
Can't we find the minds
to lead us closer to the heart?

Offline Lethean

« Reply #57 on: June 15, 2019, 11:09:31 AM »
I like 425's idea of listing some things that keep an album from "perfection"....because even the amazing albums have that one moment that doesn't quite "click" to make an album absolutely perfect.   

This'll be a much shorter list for me. :)

WDADU - the vocals - I don't hate them, but they are what keeps me from listening to the album more
Falling into Infinity - You Not Me and Just Let Me Breathe; again, I don't hate or even really dislike these, but they're kind of meh for me
Train of Thought - the rap in Honor Thy Father
Octavarium - Never Enough and Panic Attack  (Panic Attack is cool... but not something I really love)
Systematic Chaos - Constant Motion, "dark master" lyrics, some of the vocals on TDEN (live it's better though)
Black Clouds - MP's vocals in A Nightmare to Remember and some of the backing ones elsewhere

And that's it for me - I'm good with all the other albums.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #58 on: June 20, 2019, 12:00:42 PM »
Systematic Chaos - Constant Motion, "dark master" lyrics, some of the vocals on TDEN (live it's better though)
Black Clouds - MP's vocals in A Nightmare to Remember and some of the backing ones elsewhere

Thanks for the reminder about some of the things I love most about these two albums.  Time for a listen!  :biggrin:
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline SwedishGoose

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #59 on: June 20, 2019, 04:33:13 PM »
Images & Words
Awake
Scenes from a Memory
Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence
The Astonishing