Author Topic: Are you passionate about any other progressive metal bands?  (Read 2886 times)

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: Are you passionate about any other progressive metal bands?
« Reply #35 on: May 15, 2019, 10:36:33 AM »
Threshold (not really a bad album in their discography)

oh puppies  :biggrin:
Hey just because you're wrong, doesn't mean we have to deprive other people of good music :jamaritard:

I absolutely love me some Threshold, but they definitely have some clunker albums. I can’t stand Wounded Land for most songs, and I think I’ve spun Extinct Instinct in its entirety once and haven’t again in 15 years. Much of For the Journey is pretty subpar, as is about half of Critical Mass and Clone. The rest, however, is prog metal riffing goodness.

I can only speak on Legends of the Shires but damn that is a great album, any recommendations for the next album to get into? I'd prefer to stick to the current singer too since I'll be seeing them this fall and want to continue sticking with the same singer, for now.

Offline Snow Dog

« Reply #36 on: May 15, 2019, 11:04:05 AM »

Hey just because you're wrong, doesn't mean we have to deprive other people of good music :jamaritard:

I absolutely love me some Threshold, but they definitely have some clunker albums. I can’t stand Wounded Land for most songs, and I think I’ve spun Extinct Instinct in its entirety once and haven’t again in 15 years. Much of For the Journey is pretty subpar, as is about half of Critical Mass and Clone. The rest, however, is prog metal riffing goodness.

I can only speak on Legends of the Shires but damn that is a great album, any recommendations for the next album to get into? I'd prefer to stick to the current singer too since I'll be seeing them this fall and want to continue sticking with the same singer, for now.

The only other album of theirs with Glynn is Psychedelicatessen. My other favorites are Hypothetical, Subsurface, and Dead Reckoning, all of which feature Andrew “Mac” McDermott on vocals (and my favorite of the three singers they’ve had). Hypothetical is what hooked me on them, and there’s not a bad track on Dead Reckoning. Subsurface has a little filler, but is still very excellent.

As to the original topic, I also second Evergrey, Vanden Plas and Pain of Salvation, although PoS really is a flavor all of their own. Not sure if I’ve seen Seventh Wonder mentioned as it’s debatable whether they’re actually metal, but they’re still at least excellent prog hard rock.

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #37 on: May 15, 2019, 11:15:53 AM »
most bands labeled "prog" or "progressive" I honestly don't care for so much for to me, they often sound like they have a cooking recipe for music. And/or overt borrowing (copying) of other bands/artists style, or a at least 1 specific sound from another band.

I find bands who I hear more emphasis on songwriting, melody, song arrangement, or that have an appealing/surprising/unusual element (non-traditional instruments, use of vocal arrangements and styles, using field recordings, etc) are more my taste.

That being said, instead of listing bands, I'll just link an Entry I posted in my blog a number of years ago about my favorite Prog Metal albums from the 2000's

http://allmediareviews.blogspot.com/2014/07/a-list-of-progressive-metal-albums-2000.html

« Last Edit: May 15, 2019, 03:11:45 PM by SoundscapeMN »

Offline krands85

« Reply #38 on: May 15, 2019, 11:22:06 AM »
Riverside (their first 2 albums and their 4th album are amazing)
More than any other, I would say THIS! They might be veering more towards prog rock with their more recent albums, but their earlier albums are more metal, and their fourth album (Anno Domini High Definition) in particular is metal and killer with no filler!
Damn, this is great  :metal I've often seen Riverside mentioned on here over the years, but never really checked them out properly. I thought I'd listened to one of their albums a while back and wasn't that impressed, but maybe I was remembering another band, because my Last.fm account says I've only ever given them 1 play.
Whoaaaahh, ohhh, ohhhhh. Whoaaaahh, ohhhhh, ohhhhhh. Waaah, ahhh, haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaowwwwww

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #39 on: May 15, 2019, 04:21:22 PM »
I actually prefer This Mortal Coil.

I knew you'd come with that, but I don't think it's the best place to start truthfully.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Online pg1067

« Reply #40 on: May 15, 2019, 04:22:48 PM »
I actually prefer This Mortal Coil.

Their cover of Love to Love is incredible!
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
« Reply #41 on: May 15, 2019, 04:29:33 PM »
Really passionate about One Direction, the most cutting edge progressive metal band

Offline Lethean

« Reply #42 on: May 15, 2019, 04:54:34 PM »

The only other album of theirs with Glynn is Psychedelicatessen. My other favorites are Hypothetical, Subsurface, and Dead Reckoning, all of which feature Andrew “Mac” McDermott on vocals (and my favorite of the three singers they’ve had). Hypothetical is what hooked me on them, and there’s not a bad track on Dead Reckoning. Subsurface has a little filler, but is still very excellent.

Cramx - I know you wanted to stick with the same singer, but as Snowdog says, he's only on one other album.  If you want to be familiar with the material they're likely to play live (besides Legends of the Shires), go with the 3 Mac albums that Snowdog mentioned.  That should have you pretty well covered unless they radically change their setlist, and I don't think they will.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #43 on: May 15, 2019, 07:07:25 PM »
Oh nice, I didn't do any research on the history to know that, but makes sense so thanks for the recommendation.  I watched the video PPUSA posted of Threshold doing an older song and thought it was pretty cool.  I actually shared the Shires album with my friend who is now absolutely loving it, maybe more than me actually so I'm sure him and I will dig more into this band regardless of singer.

Offline Samsara

• Queensrÿche Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Driving the nail into my head. Memory flows...
« Reply #44 on: May 16, 2019, 09:46:27 AM »
Fates Warning, and lately, Lost Domain. But for me, I don't really think about genre. I'm passionate about a whole host of bands. Most of which have progressive tendencies, but not all.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensrÿche (1981-1997) - Out in May 2024!

www.roadstomadness.com

Offline Nachtmerrie

« Reply #45 on: May 16, 2019, 01:28:20 PM »
For me it started with Dream Theater and the search for other prog metal bands. Over the last few years I'm more into other metal bands that have some kind of progressive element in their music.

Haken, Redemption and Evergrey would be my favorites of the bands mentioned while Need is also great more traditional Progmetal

Bands that haven't been mentioned which aren't DT-like progmetal but might fit your tastes.
Soen
The Ocean (start with their last album)
Tesseract
Mastodon (Crack the Skye, Emperor of Sand)
Ne Obliviscaris

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #46 on: May 16, 2019, 02:27:06 PM »
Not really. I quite like Seventh Wonder, love Myrath, Symphony X are usually great. Not a huge fan of much else. They tend not to have the songs like DT do. 

Offline ShadowWalker

« Reply #47 on: May 17, 2019, 08:18:50 AM »
Coheed and Cambria is the band I have been most passionate about a decade now (since their music clicked after seeing them live in the summer of 2009 opening for Heaven & Hell). Have seen them at least once a year starting in 2011 (with the exception of tickets I had to give up last year due to the passing of my father). My second show of this year will be in two weeks when their tour with Mastodon rolls into Baltimore...

Online Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #48 on: May 17, 2019, 08:23:17 AM »
Haken. I think I'm more interested in them than DT nowadays, although DoT evened it out somewhat.
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline JLa

« Reply #49 on: May 17, 2019, 08:44:25 AM »
Not that into the whole prog metal thing, really. With one exception: Opeth (their metal albums, that is). Other than that I like a song here and an album there, but I don't follow any particular band.

The latest album from Soen, "Lotus", is fantastic. Give it a spin if you come across it.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2019, 01:13:56 PM by JLa »

Offline TheCountOfMinnesota

« Reply #50 on: May 22, 2019, 04:18:26 PM »
Hey all, just wanted to circle back and thank you again for the recommendations!  I've checked out some of the bands so far, such as Voyager, Caligula's Horse and Redemption and I've enjoyed them.  In fact, I owe a huge debt of gratitude for the Redemption recommendations.  Where has that band been all my life??  I'm loving Snowfall on Judgment Day.  The song Love Kills Us All =  :flame::omg:

This exercise reminded me of an old prog metal band I discovered back in 2000 or so called Andromeda.  They released a few albums, then disappeared I believe.  Their main songwriter was an incredible young guitar virtuoso and I think they were from Sweden.  The album I have is 'Extension of the Wish' and I think they'd be worth checking out.
PBR me ASAP

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #51 on: May 22, 2019, 04:19:38 PM »
Extension Of The Wish is amazing. The rest of their catalog..not so much.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #52 on: May 22, 2019, 05:37:21 PM »
Extension Of The Wish is amazing. The rest of their catalog..not so much.

Agreed.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Ninjabait

• XBOX is a God to Me
  • PR permission
« Reply #53 on: May 22, 2019, 07:26:49 PM »
most bands labeled "prog" or "progressive" I honestly don't care for so much for to me, they often sound like they have a cooking recipe for music. And/or overt borrowing (copying) of other bands/artists style, or a at least 1 specific sound from another band.

I find bands who I hear more emphasis on songwriting, melody, song arrangement, or that have an appealing/surprising/unusual element (non-traditional instruments, use of vocal arrangements and styles, using field recordings, etc) are more my taste.

I agree with this. I've been disappointed by most of the prog/progressive rock/metal bands and I've found them to be mostly regressive than anything. A lot of them sound like bland DT/Rush/Genesis/Tool/Opeth/Symphony X/Meshuggah/Porcupine Tree clones without any real individual voice or sense of "progress".

That said, some bands I'm kinda passionate about:

Metal:
Ne Obliviscaris (Progressive Death Metal/Melodic Death Metal)
Diablo Swing Orchestra (Avant-Garde Metal: combines metal with more traditional jazz genres like Samba, Swing, and classical)
Dream Theater (duh)
Dir en Grey (Avant-Garde Metal: uses the visual kei style and takes the possibilities of metal vocals (clean and otherwise) to the utmost extreme)
Haken (Progressive Metal: takes more influence from more "untapped wells" in progressive metal music like Gentle Giant, glitchop, dubstep, etc.)
Ayreon (Progressive Metal: still one of the most interesting artists out there I think, AAL is a certified musical genius)
Gojira (idk, Groove Metal? has a unique sense of rhythm)
Meshuggah (Djent: even with all the new stuff coming out, they are still the most unique sounding)

Rock:
The Dear Hunter (Progressive Symphonic Rock: a totally unique band. Combines showtunes and film music/modern VGM-esque elements with indie rock)
iamthemorning (Chamber Prog: Honestly, closer to classical music than to rock. Fantastic, one of the best bands out there)
Muse (Alternative Rock: one of the few big modern rock bands that have maintained a hard experimental edge. The 2nd Law and Simulation Theory are extremely diverse and original sounding)

Older artists include Incubus, Pink Floyd, and Yes.

Electronic:
Juno Reactor (Psytrance/Goa Trance: total wildcards. They're mostly Psy/Goa Trance, but they bring in a lot of elements of film scores, indian classical, and spaghetti westerns, among other things)
Infected Mushroom ("Psytrance": mostly their own thing. Definitely electronic, but with a lot of metal influences. Doesn't sound like anything else out there atm)
Submotion Orchestra (Downtempo/Soul/Dubstep/Noir Jazz: I'm not sure what genre these guys are. They are fantastic)

Pop:
Billie Eilish (the style of her production is totally unique, with original bass sounds, arrangements, and vocal production. Also just a good songwriter)
Carly Rae Jepsen (the DARLING of the pop scene atm; has used the sense of nostalgia to actually reflect upon and enhance the meaning of her songs. Buy E-MO-TION on iTunes)
Lorde (another indie pop darling, revolutionized the pop industry a few years ago with Pure Heroine. Melodrama was a great successor and featured many unique combinations of more acoustic instrumentation and trap pop elements)

I'm also love Taylor Swift's music to death, but she's mostly passed on the mantle of progressive sound to other artists imo. Even so, ...ready for it? is surprisingly aggressive for a pop song. CHVRCHES is the same situation. As far as older artists go, I'm gonna include ABBA too.

Rap:
Kendrick Lamar (honestly, have you HEARD To Pimp a Butterfly? No? Go listen to it)
Chance the Rapper (has an innovative incorporation of gospel music into rap)

Jazz:
Snarky Puppy (Jazz Fusion; A really unique sounding fusion of big band jazz, funk, gospel, math rock, and pop)

Classical:
Honestly most of the music I've heard in modern Classical has not been that interesting.

Other:
Moulettes (A Folk band from the UK; brings in more progressive rock and chamber elements. Very unique sounding)
Heilung (Some weird pagan thing, honestly pretty awesome)

Offline WildRanger

« Reply #54 on: May 24, 2019, 01:00:16 PM »
Mostly Opeth. And to a lesser extent: Symphony X, Pain of Salvation, Enslaved and Voivod.