Poll

Which are your favorites of these 5-album runs? (VOTE FOR 3)

Metallica: Kill 'Em All, Ride the Lightning, Master of Puppets, ...And Justice for All and Metallica
Led Zeppelin: Led Zeppelin, Led Zeppelin II, Led Zeppelin III, Led Zeppelin IV and Houses of the Holy
Yes: The Yes Album, Fragile, Close to the Edge, Tales from Topographic Oceans and Relayer
Porcupine Tree: Stupid Dream, Lightbulb Sun, In Absentia, Deadwing and Fear of a Black Planet
Opeth: Still Life, Blackwater Park, Deliverance, Damnation and Ghost Reveries
Iron Maiden: The Number of the Beast, Piece of Mind, Powerslave, Somewhere in Time and Seventh Son of a Seventh Son
Pink Floyd: Dark Side of the Moon, Wish You Were Here, Animals, The Wall and The Final Cut
Rush: 2112, A Farewell to Kings, Hemispheres, Permanent Waves and Moving Pictures
Queensryche: The Warning, Rage for Order, Operation: Mindcrime, Empire and Promised Land
Neal Morse: Testimony, One, ?, Sola Scriptura and Lifeline
Haken: Aquarius, Visions, The Mountain, Affinity and Vector
Black Sabbath: Black Sabbath, Paranoid, Master of Reality, Volume 4 and Sabbath Bloody Sabbath
Ayreon: Into the Electric Castle, The Dream Sequencer, Flight of the Migrator, The Human Equation and 01011001
Genesis: Nursery Cryme, Foxtrot, Selling England by the Pound, The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway and A Trick of the Tail
The Beatles: Rubber Soul, Revolver, Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band, Magical Mystery Tour and The Beatles

Voting closes: February 04, 2025, 04:49:45 PM

Author Topic: Favorites of these 5-album runs  (Read 4337 times)

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Re: Favorites of these 5-album runs
« Reply #70 on: May 09, 2019, 10:16:46 AM »
I don’t know how anyone Rush fan doesn’t have Hemispheres in their Top 5.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #71 on: May 09, 2019, 04:00:50 PM »

I don't know how any Rush fan doesn't have Power Windows in their top 3.

Not challenging you, just curious (since Hemispheres is in my top ten all time for any band, and both albums are easily in my Rush Top 5, along with Moving Pictures, Signals, and... probably Presto, though I reserve the right to change that), but what is your Rush Top Five?

Top 4 is easily Power Windows, Permanent Waves, Moving Pictures and 2112, and Hemispheres usually fights it out with Counterparts for 5th place, with CP usually getting the nod.  Clockwork Angels could have been top 5 had it not sounded so muddy; I still love it and would put it 7th or 8th.

Offline King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• I find your lack of filtered water disturbing
  • DTF.org Member
  • Together we can rule the ocean as father and son
« Reply #72 on: May 09, 2019, 05:14:42 PM »

Not challenging you, just curious (since Hemispheres is in my top ten all time for any band, and both albums are easily in my Rush Top 5, along with Moving Pictures, Signals, and... probably Presto, though I reserve the right to change that), but what is your Rush Top Five?

Top 4 is easily Power Windows, Permanent Waves, Moving Pictures and 2112, and Hemispheres usually fights it out with Counterparts for 5th place, with CP usually getting the nod.  Clockwork Angels could have been top 5 had it not sounded so muddy; I still love it and would put it 7th or 8th.
I've always wondered why Clockwork Angels sounded so bad. Especially after they corrected the issue going from Vapor Trails to Snakes and Arrows. Perhaps it just needs a remix/remaster...
aka Puppies_On_Acid
I peed next to Ian Mosley and Mark Kelly
Derek Sherinian probably stands 10 feet away from the urinal, shoots from downtown, and announces loudly that he's making history.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #73 on: May 10, 2019, 12:51:30 PM »
Those 5 Rush albums are easily my top 5 of theirs, but that is generally speaking the only "era" of theirs I fully enjoy. But in my collection that collection of 5 albums (consecutive or not) rivals any other collection of 5 albums by any other artist.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #74 on: May 10, 2019, 01:04:50 PM »

I've always wondered why Clockwork Angels sounded so bad. Especially after they corrected the issue going from Vapor Trails to Snakes and Arrows. Perhaps it just needs a remix/remaster...

I wouldn't say the issue was totally corrected going from VT to S&A.  Granted, the latter wasn't the loud mess that the original Vapor Trails was, but Snakes & Arrows sounds too dry and lifeless at times.  I will actually take the muddy sound of Clockwork Angels over the dryness of S&A, although the songwriting being much better on CA tilts my bias a bit.  I do like S&A, just not as much as I did at first.

Offline WildRanger

« Reply #75 on: May 10, 2019, 04:16:57 PM »

I wouldn't say the issue was totally corrected going from VT to S&A.  Granted, the latter wasn't the loud mess that the original Vapor Trails was, but Snakes & Arrows sounds too dry and lifeless at times.  I will actually take the muddy sound of Clockwork Angels over the dryness of S&A, although the songwriting being much better on CA tilts my bias a bit.  I do like S&A, just not as much as I did at first.

Geddy's voice and vocal melodies on Rush albums from the 21st century(esp. Clockwork Angels) are very weak to me.

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #76 on: May 11, 2019, 06:21:32 PM »
No Rush for me...

Queensryche Floyd and Yes

With your username and picture being what they are, would you briefly explain why no Rush for you?

And bosk, Rush doesn't belong on this list?????

Sure. I'm not even sure those are my favorite Rush albums. 

I love early Floyd and Yes but  many of the songs I love by those bands fall within that period.  No way I'm limiting myself to just those Rush albums with the catalog they've amassed.

Offline cygnusx1jg

« Reply #77 on: May 12, 2019, 03:21:22 PM »
No Rush for me...

With your username and picture being what they are, would you briefly explain why no Rush for you?

I love early Floyd and Yes but  many of the songs I love by those bands fall within that period.  No way I'm limiting myself to just those Rush albums with the catalog they've amassed.

I must have misunderstood the thread. I was comparing those five Rush albums against the other choices listed, not other Rush albums.
Hope is what remains to be seen. Now we must tend our garden.

Offline Polarbear

« Reply #78 on: May 13, 2019, 03:02:30 AM »
Porcupine Tree, QR and Floyd out of these choices.

But really:
Rush - Permanent Waves - Moving Pictures - Signals - Grace Under Pressure - Power Windows *Mic drop

It's more like in my bottom 5.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #79 on: May 13, 2019, 10:50:13 AM »

Well...side 2 is abysmal, and side 1 is only really saved by Marathon and (to a lesser extent) Manhattan Project.  At the time of its release, the only reason it wasn't Rush's worst album is because GUP existed.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #80 on: May 13, 2019, 01:54:19 PM »

Well...side 2 is abysmal, and side 1 is only really saved by Marathon and (to a lesser extent) Manhattan Project.  At the time of its release, the only reason it wasn't Rush's worst album is because GUP existed.

The ONLY song I liked when it came out was territories. And I'm sorry, had I never experienced Marathon live with the graphics, I'd still think it blows.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #81 on: May 13, 2019, 01:59:07 PM »

The ONLY song I liked when it came out was territories. And I'm sorry, had I never experienced Marathon live with the graphics, I'd still think it blows.

Marathon is like, top 5 Rush songs. I'm shook.
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #82 on: May 13, 2019, 02:00:24 PM »
I'm being a little facetious. A little. I do not understand the gaga over it.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #83 on: May 13, 2019, 03:34:41 PM »

Marathon is like, top 5 Rush songs. I'm shook.

I'm being a little facetious. A little. I do not understand the gaga over it.

I really like Marathon, but I wouldn't call it top-25, much less top-5.  For me, it is a song that benefits greatly by being on an album of vastly inferior material.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #84 on: May 14, 2019, 01:08:51 PM »
I listed Rush, Led Zeppelin, and The Beatles......although, being a nit picky person, there was not an official Beatle 'Magical Mystery Tour' LP release (until the '87 CD).  So, if you start with 'Help' or 'Rubber Soul', they would still rate as 'tops' for a five album run.

And consider that their non album singles in that era were.... We Can Work It Out/Day Tripper, Paperback Writer/Rain, Strawberry Fields/Pennylane, Hello Goodbye/I Am The Walrus, All You Need Is Love/Baby, You're A Rich Man, Lady Madonna, Hey Jude/Revolution'

Then again, my favorite five album run is Queen:  II, Sheer Heart Attack, A Night At The Opera, A Day At The Races, News Of The World.

Don't get much better than that.
...going along with Dragon Attack's Queen thread has been like taking a free class in Queen knowledge. Where else are you gonna find info like that?!

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #85 on: May 19, 2019, 12:35:58 PM »
No Rush for me...

I must have misunderstood the thread. I was comparing those five Rush albums against the other choices listed, not other Rush albums.

Maybe that was the point, but even then Rush wouldn't have made my list.  Rush is never an album band to me, they are a career band.  That list of albums by Queensryche, Floyd and Yes are probably better that those Rush albums on that list.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #86 on: May 23, 2019, 04:27:44 PM »

Maybe that was the point, but even then Rush wouldn't have made my list. Rush is never an album band to me, they are a career band. That list of albums by Queensryche, Floyd and Yes are probably better that those Rush albums on that list.

I get what you mean.  As much as people slobber over the 1976-1981 run, and for good reason, if Rush had called it quits after Moving Pictures, they wouldn't be my favorite band off of the strength of those first eight albums.  Hell, they wouldn't even my top 5.