Author Topic: DREAM THEATER "POSSIBLY" Recording Show On 'SFAM' 20th-Anniversary Tour  (Read 10410 times)

Offline goo-goo

Totally unexpected if it happens. I added "POSSIBLY" in the thread title since JP says something about later deciding in the tour.

On whether DREAM THEATER will record a show from their current "Scenes" tour for future release:

John: "Yeah. We will eventually and we're talking about where to do that. We have a long world tour ahead of us. There's going to be a lot of locations. Toronto would have been really cool, but we'll [decide] that later in the tour for sure."

http://www.blabbermouth.net/news/dream-theater-to-record-show-on-scenes-from-a-memory-20th-anniversary-tour-for-future-release/

Offline Samsara

• Queensrÿche Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Driving the nail into my head. Memory flows...
It'll be cool to have it professionally filmed and documented. I'm not sure how lucrative such a project would be nowadays though, given how some device-captured footage is so high in quality and on YouTube and the like. We'd all likely buy it, but probably wouldn't hold a candle financially, sales-wise, to the original Live Scenes release.

Then again, given the popularity of so many new formats, having it on 4K, and also on vinyl would be something new, and I could see that garnering a lot of interest. Regardless, I'm all over it.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensrÿche (1981-1997) - Out in May 2024!

www.roadstomadness.com

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
I'll honestly be pissed if they do this after not doing one for The Astonishing. We already have a live/filmed version of this album. If they are to ever film another live show, I'd rather it be a normal set list made up of a ton of songs we've never seen filmed before.

Offline goo-goo

The new animations were cool. I would prefer a live recording of The Astonishing and/or the Distance Over Time full album...

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
I wouldn't be pissed but otherwise feel as Chino does.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder

This.  We already have a live DVD with the entire Scenes - do we really need another?  Sure, I don't have to buy it, and odds are that I wouldn't, but when you consider the other recent tours they have skipped releasing a live DVD from (with the cop-out that they don't make money on them anymore), this would be really disappointing.

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
How many live versions of TSCO do we already have? 3? 4?

Offline OpenYourEyes311

I'd buy it. I'd rather buy one from this tour that doesn't include Scenes in full. More songs that don't have a release. Hell, the last live release, BTFW, had four tracks from Scenes. Then they skipped the 30th Anniversary tour, The Astonishing tour, and the Images tour. I'd rather some Ytsejam-type Official Bootleg releases of those before a Live Scenes 2.

But again, I'd buy it.
I don't want MP playing with DT unless they were making a drummer change. If they let MM go and bring back MP, then fine, but no guest appearance please.
WELP.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
(with the cop-out that they don't make money on them anymore),

I am not sure not making money on a venture constitutes a "cop out."
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
I will certainly buy it, but I would much rather have had blu-ray releases of The Astonishing and the Images, Words, & Beyond tours.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Architeuthis

This is great news!  Sure, I'd like a normal varied set list featuring more songs from d/t but I'd still be happy to have the new presentation of Scenes.  At least we will also be getting ITPOE part 1.  :metal
 They are past due for a good live release and I'll buy it regardless of the set list..It's freakin Dream Theater man!!!
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
I'd buy it mostly for set 1 on blu-ray with the SFAM stuff as a super awesome bonus.  I really enjoyed the show, but we have the album on DVD.  It's not a must where as the set 1 stuff would be nice to have on blu-ray.  Also, thinking about how there was no TA release makes this kind of sad, but understandable from a consumer standpoint although I think if they just filmed a show on the next leg where SFAM isn't played, that would be even better. 

Offline Architeuthis

I think if they just filmed a show on the next leg where SFAM isn't played, that would be even better.
This would be cool too!  Perhaps have some bonus footage from the large festival shows included.  :coolio
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline Setlist Scotty

This.  We already have a live DVD with the entire Scenes - do we really need another?
Amen! Add me to the list that would rather have a live release from one of the other tours.
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
(with the cop-out that they don't make money on them anymore),

I am not sure not making money on a venture constitutes a "cop out."

Other artists, who are less successful, in the same genre (prog rock or prog metal) release live DVD's and do just fine with making money (I can't believe they'd release if they didn't).  Neal Morse, who doesn't draw as well as DT, releases them all the time and apparently does just fine.  I am sure DT has higher production costs due to the venues they play, but if you jam pack a release with enough extra stuff that is enticing to potential buyers, many will buy it, even nowadays.

Offline CrimsonSunrise

• DTF.org Alumni
Yeah not really a big deal for me seeing we already have Live Scenes.  I wish they would have done the I&W's and beyond tour :(

Offline Pettor

From pure marketing perspective I think recording PBD in HD-quality and release it for free on YouTube would be fantastic. Live at Budokan etc. gave them tons of fans just by showing extreme musical talent. They should keep showing off a bit and PBD is perfect for that :)

Offline devieira73

• Boldly go where no brazilian has gone before...
Personally, from DT, I would love to buy an official live release (audio and DVD/BD) from every tour :metal
"one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind." (RIP Neil Armstrong)

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
I agree with the sentiment of this not being as exciting as maybe an Astonishing live release.

Either way, I'll get it and I'll probably love it. More excited of having songs like ANTR and PBD in their live versions than SFAM again. I hope they bring out more Distance Over Time material out so they can play and record a vast amount of songs just like in the ADTOE tour. That was a pretty ambitious and cool release; it's a shame the audio mix wasn't that great.
Quote from: TioJorge
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
Quote from: hefdaddy42
The Darklord is amazing

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
No doubt I'll buy it. Especially for ANTR.

What would be awesome is if they included the SFAM animations separately as a bonus.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline Another_Won

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Attest to the mighty river.Let the truth be heard!
No doubt I'll buy it. Especially for ANTR.

What would be awesome is if they included the SFAM animations separately as a bonus.
Good idea!  the SFAM animations are PERFECT for a bonus.

Offline gzarruk

It’d be cool and I’d buy it, but I’d take a D/T focused live album instead of few songs + all of SFAM again.
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline PetFish

I see a lot of spoiled brats up in the heezy here.  :P

Honestly, yes, The Astonishing would have been my choice, and at least hopefully we'll get the entire D/T tracks on the release, even if some are from other shows during the tour.

But, the best part of this news, is that we'll get a Mangini version of the full SFaM (with proper editing (ie no seizure-inducing noob VFX) and also in HD), and *that* is something worth looking forward to.

Offline Setlist Scotty

But, the best part of this news, is that we'll get a Mangini version of the full SFaM (with proper editing (ie no seizure-inducing noob VFX) and also in HD), and *that* is something worth looking forward to.
Not a big video fan, so the video itself is not all that exciting to me, but live audio, yes. Had DT altered the songs more (like they did on the IWaB tour) instead of playing them so closely to the album versions, I'd be more interested in another full SFaM live release. But as it stands, no.
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline Max Kuehnau

• Emotionless Brainiac
  • Doomed to be a man this world forgot
Not a big video fan, so the video itself is not all that exciting to me, but live audio, yes. Had DT altered the songs more (like they did on the IWaB tour) instead of playing them so closely to the album versions, I'd be more interested in another full SFaM live release. But as it stands, no.
I agree. My favourite versions of Met2 pieces are on BT4W, so I can easily do without another live version of them. (especially when they're not on the same level as BT4W.)
"All my natural instincts are begging me to stop
But somehow I carry on, heading for the top
A physical absurdity, a tremendous mental game
Helping me understand exactly who I am"

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni

Fatal Tragedy had a little extra drum part to give time for Jordan to get his Keytar, you don't want that on blu-ray?!  :biggrin:

Offline Peter Mc

Goes without saying that I’d buy this but, like everyone else, if I had to choose, I’d rather have had The Astonishing or I&W tours. Ideally I’d have one for each.

Offline Lethean

I say bring it on. :)  Yes, I too would love a dvd from The Astonishing tour.  I would absolutely love it and I think it's sad that there isn't one.  But there isn't really a choice here.  I doubt that DT decided not to do a dvd for The Astonishing because they thought they might want to do one for SFAM in a couple years...  there's no reason they couldn't have done one for both, or all 3 include I&W if they really wanted to.  Perhaps they were just uninterested in the idea of a live video at the time for various reasons - the mixed response to TA, the lack of overall DVD sales, etc.  But now, for some reason, they're considering it again.  I'll take that as a positive sign and hope they go for it.

Offline nattmorker

I say bring it on. :)  Yes, I too would love a dvd from The Astonishing tour.  I would absolutely love it and I think it's sad that there isn't one.  But there isn't really a choice here.  I doubt that DT decided not to do a dvd for The Astonishing because they thought they might want to do one for SFAM in a couple years...  there's no reason they couldn't have done one for both, or all 3 include I&W if they really wanted to.  Perhaps they were just uninterested in the idea of a live video at the time for various reasons - the mixed response to TA, the lack of overall DVD sales, etc.  But now, for some reason, they're considering it again.  I'll take that as a positive sign and hope they go for it.

Totally this! I hope they do it! It's been some time since the last DVD.

Offline SystematicThought

• DTF.org Member
  • Carpe Diem-2020
I never really understood why JP was so adamant that The Astonishing would never get a Blu-Ray/CD release. It was their most ambitious tour to date. That stage set-up with the street lamps and banners, animations, and vibe of that tour and the attitude was that if you couldn't make it to a show, then you would never see it live? If anything, you would think the band would want a momento like that from the tour (although they probably have something)
God have mercy on a man
Who doubts what he's sure of.
-Bruce Springsteen

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
I never really understood why JP was so adamant that The Astonishing would never get a Blu-Ray/CD release. It was their most ambitious tour to date. That stage set-up with the street lamps and banners, animations, and vibe of that tour and the attitude was that if you couldn't make it to a show, then you would never see it live? If anything, you would think the band would want a momento like that from the tour (although they probably have something)

I really don't know if they do.  They had camera's rolling for the one show where they filmed for the music video Our New World, but is there any indication they recorded anything else besides soundboard for other shows or anything beyond some video shots for the music video?   I think it's unfortunate that it might have been a "see it live or never see it" type of thing, but if its true it makes me super happy to have seen it twice, once from the front row (and that is still my favorite DT concert)  :metal

Offline fadetoblackdude7

I’d totally welcome this. Everyone has been playing spot on this tour, especially James. Yes, we already have Scenes live on video, but 20 years is a long gap, and with better technology such as high def, it would be a completely different experience. The stage design and setlist are superb as well, and it would be great to see the first set on video. Bring that shit on!

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
I'd buy this in a heart beat.
I wouldn't want somebody with 18 kids to mow my damn lawn, based on a longstanding bias I have against crazy fucks.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus

You have it a bit wrong.  They DID plan on recording it.  Remember--the second leg was supposed to be PRIMARILY markets that they hadn't played on the first leg.  They were considering filming a show late in the second leg.  But then it was mis-booked and they were slated to play a bunch of places they had already hit on the first leg, which impacted attendance and caused them to change up the set list a bit.  They were still considering doing a one-off in a certain city to film it after the tour wrapped.  But they didn't due to a combination of being too busy with other things that had come up (primarily, the I&WaB tour), and not being confident there was a sufficient demand for it to justify renting that huge TA touring rig again for one show and a film crew, they just decided to pass and move on.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline goo-goo

If they can play a city with back to back shows and film both nights, it can be done. Luna Park was filmed over two nights.

1st night - The Astonishing
2nd night - SFAM with d/t

Wishful thinking though.