Author Topic: Mangini for MusicRadar: I play like a Bruce Lee punch  (Read 1328 times)

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • welcome to the wasteland
Mangini for MusicRadar: I play like a Bruce Lee punch
« on: June 04, 2019, 08:49:20 AM »
Searched everywhere for this interview and couldn't find it, I figured it deserved a discussion thread.

Some quotes I found interesting:

“Here we go! The cymbals! I went to an extreme to make it so the cymbals would be louder and more clear in the final mix. That stuff is out of my hands, it’s always been out of my hands, so I was trying to do everything possible to make it so that they were as clean as could be because there is so much leakage from my kit. "

"I was asked to tune down the snare drum on the Dream Theater self-titled album. I couldn’t even play it, I didn’t like it at all, but I did it. I was lambasted for it too. Lambasted, hated, called out, ridiculed, unfairly called unbelievable names. I never once went online and said, ‘Stop calling me those names.’ I found it to be a challenge, that’s all I ever said about it. I enjoyed that I was challenged, I don’t diss it in any way. I have nothing negative to say about it. Yes, I said I didn’t like it on a personal level, but what I mean is I didn’t necessarily like having to re-do how I played because the drum head was looser."

"What I mean by that is I feel like I’m the same guy as when I’m home by myself but when I’m out in a studio recording a record, I feel like people are coming into my home saying, ‘Stop having fun. Whoa, what are you doing? Why do you need that?’

My response is, ‘Why is it your business what I need? Or, ‘Well, you need ‘x’ amount of drums to do this’. Actually, no, I don’t. I choose to span the range of the keyboard or guitar instruments on the drums so I can match it."

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

type : mora : and delete the spaces for a surprise

Online Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
Re: Mangini for MusicRadar: I play like a Bruce Lee punch
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2019, 10:07:24 AM »
Those are great words of understanding Mangini as a drummer. Like any musician you have to make compromises and he had to for the awful Drum snare on the Self-titled. Glad to know he didnt enjoy the sound, yet was accepting of that challenge of having to adapt to that sound and change your technique, which in turn makes you as a person and Drummer evolve.

Its good to know, Mangini likes a challenge and isn't set in ways as a drummer, it seems he enjoys trying new things and would likely get bored if he stuck to what he knows.

Also, him talking about the people that come in saying "Why you doing that? Stop having fun and play it this way. "

I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2019, 10:50:57 AM »
I think this interview was discussed in another thread somewhere.

Mangini is just a class act, he answers in a very honest but respectful way. Glad he's in DT.
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2019, 06:09:03 PM »
I have seen that interview, it's the one where he says his snare hits distort the overheads.

Maybe this belongs in Controversial, but it isn't it a sign of a good drummer to be able to adjust your playing so you get a good sound on the record?
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline Rob24

« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2019, 05:09:54 AM »
Also, I don't think he reacts as classy as some say. His answers sound very defensive and insecure to me.

Offline nikatapi

« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2019, 06:23:23 AM »
Well given the criticism he has got i don't blame him. Even though some people just can't get over MP leaving the band, the sound of almost all the albums post MP (apart from DoT) has not been kind to him, and his creative input just wasn't on the level he would like.

You can feel (and hear) that DoT is much closer to realizing MM's potential with the band, while doing him justice in the sonic department.

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2019, 09:02:39 AM »
I have seen that interview, it's the one where he says his snare hits distort the overheads.

Maybe this belongs in Controversial, but it isn't it a sign of a good drummer to be able to adjust your playing so you get a good sound on the record?

I've heard MM say that comment a couple times and it doesn't make sense to me. There are plenty of drummers who play extremely hard, and distorting the snare in the overheads isn't an issue. That seems like something a professional audio engineer should be able to easily remedy.