Not much of a fan, but like some of it
2 (9.5%)
Do not like it at all
1 (4.8%)
Never heard it
11 (52.4%)

Total Members Voted: 21

Voting closes: February 20, 2025, 10:30:42 AM

Author Topic: How great is the Tom Petty album "Wildflowers"?  (Read 1756 times)

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
How great is the Tom Petty album "Wildflowers"?
« on: May 11, 2019, 11:30:42 AM »
For me, option 1 all the way.  A damn fine record from start to finish, the best Petty ever did, and one that always sounds fresh and great every time I spin it.

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: How great is the Tom Petty album "Wildflowers"?
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2019, 11:33:08 AM »
Love it, one of his very best. I went with option #1.

Wildflowers, You Don't Know How It Feels, It's Good To Be King, Only A Broken Heart, Crawling Back To You etc. All top songs there.
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2019, 07:20:41 PM »
Love it, one of his very best. I went with option #1.

Wildflowers, You Don't Know How It Feels, It's Good To Be King, Only A Broken Heart, Crawling Back To You etc. All top songs there.

:tup :tup

I'd put A Higher Place in that top tier as well.  The mood and atmosphere of Crawling Back to You is incredible.

Offline SystematicThought

• DTF.org Member
  • Carpe Diem-2020
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2019, 07:22:14 PM »
More of a Full Moon Fever guy. But I have a lot of childhood memories attached to it, so it may be nostalgia speaking.
God have mercy on a man
Who doubts what he's sure of.
-Bruce Springsteen

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2019, 07:24:27 PM »
More of a Full Moon Fever guy. But I have a lot of childhood memories attached to it, so it may be nostalgia speaking.

That's a good album, too, but I feel that Wildflowers has better (and more) deep cuts than Full Moon Fever.  Runnin' Down a Dream and A Face in the Crowd are two of my favorite Petty songs, that said.  :coolio

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2019, 08:03:43 PM »
My #1 Petty album. Rick Rubin's production was stellar.   
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2019, 08:06:02 PM »
It's weird that Kev goofs on Thin Lizzy. I have always found Phil Lynott and Tom Petty kindred spirits.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2019, 08:10:16 PM »
Tell me more Tim! 
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2019, 08:19:07 PM »
They are both storytellers, have a distinct delivery that you either get or you don't, and each have formidable songbooks.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2019, 08:21:02 PM »
I would have never thought that but it seems so obvious! 

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2019, 08:24:36 PM »
I have always felt that. Always. It's why I have enormous respect for Tom Petty even though I don't really listen to him.

Plus they both had drug influenced deaths.

Online ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #11 on: May 11, 2019, 08:39:01 PM »
I love "Wildflowers". I was listening to the Broken Record podcast a few weeks ago and Rick Rubin said that Petty had enough material for a double album but culled it down to a single album. Rick still has the tracks but isn't going to release them obviously with respect to TP.

Tom Petty sits with Mark Knopfler as one of the best song writers out there IMO. While Dire Straits had more complex song arrangements, at the heart of it both Mark and Tom were amazing storytellers.

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #12 on: May 13, 2019, 10:02:16 AM »
I'm so indifferent to Tom Petty.  I like the earlier, janglier stuff, but once he became part of the Traveling Wilbury's it all became pretty bland to me.   

What I like from Tom Petty I really like, and what I don't I kind of don't pay much attention to.   

Offline pg1067

« Reply #13 on: May 13, 2019, 10:46:32 AM »
Never heard it and, after looking at the track list on Wikipedia, I don't think I've ever heard any song from it.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #14 on: May 13, 2019, 10:51:00 AM »
Never heard it and, after looking at the track list on Wikipedia, I don't think I've ever heard any song from it.

Were you buried alive for a year?  You Don't Know How It Feels was on radio, MTV for heavy rotation.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #15 on: May 13, 2019, 10:56:39 AM »
Songs from Wildflowers and Full Moon Fever were on the radio a ton at the time, and I thought they were great. But as with his earlier material, there was enough on the radio that I liked and heard often enough I never cared to or bothered to buy anything of his. I liked the hits but not enough to delve any deeper or call myself a true fan.

That's a good album, too, but I feel that Wildflowers has better (and more) deep cuts than Full Moon Fever.  Runnin' Down a Dream...

Runnin' Down a Dream was on the radio all the time here.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline pg1067

« Reply #16 on: May 13, 2019, 10:58:01 AM »

Were you buried alive for a year?  You Don't Know How It Feels was on radio, MTV for heavy rotation.

It's possible that I've heard it, but the name doesn't ring any bells.  According to Wikipedia, the album came out in November 1994.  By that time, I wasn't watching MTV because it never played anything I wanted to hear (I think the last thing I watched on MTV was the Boston season of The Real World, and that was a complete aberration and the only season of that show I watched).  And I definitely was not listening to any radio station that would have played Tom Petty.

P.S.  I youtubed it and shut it down after about 10 seconds of the whiny harmonica intro.  I'm fairly confident that, if heard that back in the day on MTV/VH1 or on the radio, I'd have quickly changed the station.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #17 on: May 13, 2019, 12:46:25 PM »
That I do get.  Not your style but you couldn't avoid that song back then.  They even has a neutered version of the song with the lyrics changed.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #18 on: May 13, 2019, 02:40:59 PM »
*shrugs* it was OK.

I always liked Petty's hits, and never cared for any deep cuts I ever heard. 
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #19 on: May 13, 2019, 02:42:21 PM »
Yeah that song and Free Falling and Learning to Fly had to be on the radio once an hour it seemed.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #20 on: May 13, 2019, 02:49:48 PM »
Speaking of Free Falling, at work I hear some lame ass cover version of it all the time. It's sung really slow and the whole thing is puke inducing. Has anyone else heard this before? No idea who it is, but it fucking blows! Talk about killing a song. Whoever is singing sucks.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #21 on: May 13, 2019, 03:31:58 PM »
Speaking of Free Falling, at work I hear some lame ass cover version of it all the time. It's sung really slow and the whole thing is puke inducing. Has anyone else heard this before? No idea who it is, but it fucking blows! Talk about killing a song. Whoever is singing sucks.

Aside from live covers (by, e.g., Kesha, Coldplay and Fleetwood Mac), Wikipedia lists studio covers by the likes of Matthew Sweet/Susanna Hoffs, Katey Sagal, Tony Hadley (apparently a member of Spandau Ballet) and Stevie Nicks.

BTW, I was still watching MTV when Free Fallin' came out.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #22 on: May 13, 2019, 03:42:33 PM »
Wow! from those options, Kesha, Coldplay, Katey Segal, and Stevie Nicks could all fall under "Whoever is singing sucks."

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #23 on: May 14, 2019, 07:44:42 AM »
Katey Sagal (Mrs. Peg Bundy, Ms. Gemma Teller Morrow) sang backup on Gene Simmons' first solo album. 

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #24 on: May 14, 2019, 09:05:36 AM »

:lol :lol :lol

Online Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #25 on: May 14, 2019, 03:41:33 PM »
As a wee lad, I was a huge Full Moon Fever fan. I bought Wildflowers on cassette thinking it was going to be just as great, but I was very disappointed. I tried listening to it again some odd years ago, but aside from the singles, my opinion was the same.

Online ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #26 on: May 15, 2019, 09:31:58 AM »

Is it the John Mayer cover?

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #27 on: May 15, 2019, 10:08:32 AM »
I’m not sure. All I know is it’s awful.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #28 on: May 15, 2019, 10:33:28 AM »
Free Fallin' was never a song I liked that much.   It was played to death, so I know it well, but I have never gone out of my way to listen to it.  Probably my least favorite of the videos MTV played of his in the 80's.

Offline HOF

« Reply #29 on: June 02, 2020, 11:47:26 PM »
I came here to point out how great It’s Good to be King is. The piano and strings on the outro wreck me every time.

I do think of Wildflowers as a great album. It’s not one I seek out to listen to really, but when bits of it turn up on shuffle I always enjoy it. It has a stretch of songs in the middle of it that is pretty much filler, but there are still at least 10 great songs on it. It’s the only thing I own by Tom Petty, and might always be as I’ve never really been interested in his music otherwise.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #30 on: June 03, 2020, 12:05:39 AM »

I don't know.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Fritzinger

« Reply #31 on: June 03, 2020, 05:14:45 AM »
I always played the well-known Tom Petty songs in a cover band and I haaaated playing them. Mostly 4 chords, 4/4 mid tempo... and anooother repetition of the chorus... "learning to fly!" - and now everybody! - "learning to flyyyyhyyyy".. ugh, I almost fell asleep. That's why I never even listened to one Tom Petty album. Maybe if you say Wildflowers is so good, I should check it out though.
any rock can be made to roll

Offline Indiscipline

• Ponce
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Apply IMO --->
« Reply #32 on: June 03, 2020, 07:28:48 AM »
EDIT: nevermind

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #33 on: June 03, 2020, 03:51:46 PM »
I came here to point out how great It’s Good to be King is. The piano and strings on the outro wreck me every time.

I do think of Wildflowers as a great album. It’s not one I seek out to listen to really, but when bits of it turn up on shuffle I always enjoy it. It has a stretch of songs in the middle of it that is pretty much filler, but there are still at least 10 great songs on it. It’s the only thing I own by Tom Petty, and might always be as I’ve never really been interested in his music otherwise.

Quality bump. :tup :tup

I don't know.

Listen and find out, and then report back, please.  :biggrin:

Online ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #34 on: June 03, 2020, 04:45:10 PM »
I was listening to Broken Record Podcast a while back and Rick Rubin mentioned that Tom had a whole other record to go with Wildflowers but they ended up  cutting it down to one disc. He ended up playing a song for the other host off mic and just hearing the hosts reaction made me really wish we got to hear that second disk of music.