Author Topic: DT Albums Tier List  (Read 4415 times)

Online Buddyhunter1

• Professional Mellotron Spotter
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
DT Albums Tier List
« on: May 10, 2019, 06:23:46 PM »
From the band's twitter / facebook:
So we hear these 'tier lists' are all the rage right now... Visit the link and reply to this tweet with your list!
https://tiermaker.com/create/dream-theater-albums-19064

Thought it might be fun to share ours here, even though we had a rankings thread recently.

Here's mine.

BUDDYHUNTER | Debut Demo Out Now! FREE DOWNLOAD: https://buddyhunter.bandcamp.com/
RYM: https://rateyourmusic.com/~buddyhunter1

Offline CharlesPL

Re: DT Albums Tier List
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2019, 08:26:08 PM »

Offline Ninjabait

• XBOX is a God to Me
  • PR permission
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2019, 08:48:50 PM »

A Change of Seasons is C because it really only has one song on it, Liquid Tension Experiments 1+2 are B tier.

Offline zappafrank2112

« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2019, 09:30:40 PM »
So glad this is confined to a thread.

Everyone over on the DT reddit is making one and adding it as a main post, so it's all you see and have to scroll through dozens of them

Offline lovethedrake

« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2019, 09:50:38 PM »
I cant seem to load mine here so Ill say my tiers:

S - SFAM, I&W, SDOIT

A- Awake

B- DOT, FII

C- TOT, TA

D- BC&SL, DT, WDADU

E- Octavarium, SC, ADTOE

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2019, 10:00:16 PM »
Is "S" a new grade I've never heard of?
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline Ninjabait

• XBOX is a God to Me
  • PR permission
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2019, 10:16:33 PM »
Is "S" a new grade I've never heard of?

Yeah, it comes from competitive video gaming. S-tier is basically the top, god-tier stuff. The kind of characters and stuff that tend to dominate metagames and such because they're so good. If it helps, think of it like an A+ or a 5/5 or 10/10.

Offline Sebastián Pratesi

« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2019, 12:52:17 AM »
Yeah, it comes from competitive video gaming. S-tier is basically the top, god-tier stuff. The kind of characters and stuff that tend to dominate metagames and such because they're so good. If it helps, think of it like an A+ or a 5/5 or 10/10.
Thanks! I had the same doubt.

Also: why does that ranking/grading system not include "E"? (Where I live, we don't grade with letters.)

Offline krands85

« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2019, 05:43:01 AM »
Something like this I guess:
Whoaaaahh, ohhh, ohhhhh. Whoaaaahh, ohhhhh, ohhhhhh. Waaah, ahhh, haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaowwwwww

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2019, 07:38:01 AM »
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2019, 07:42:51 AM »
Thanks! I had the same doubt.

Also: why does that ranking/grading system not include "E"? (Where I live, we don't grade with letters.)

That's just how it is over in the USA, at least. We don't use S in academic grading, but we do skip E. A D is like barely passing, F means you failed. In terms of numbers, a D is usually in the 60-70% range, anything below that is F.
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #11 on: May 11, 2019, 08:32:15 AM »
I can't figure out how to save it..
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline robwebster

« Reply #12 on: May 11, 2019, 08:52:27 AM »

Kerpow!

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #13 on: May 11, 2019, 10:02:47 AM »
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Max Kuehnau

• Emotionless Brainiac
  • Doomed to be a man this world forgot
« Reply #14 on: May 11, 2019, 10:09:57 AM »
mine doesn't load either, so you'll have to make do with it written down (my criteria of choice is the technical level and precise execution of the drumming on them, and of course personal taste as well. Had it been songwriting, the list would have been somewhat different. This will be a controversial one.)

S: ADTOE, DT12

D: TA, D/T (thanks PBD, otherwise it would have been an F)

F: everything else

I may make another one based on the songwriting.
"All my natural instincts are begging me to stop
But somehow I carry on, heading for the top
A physical absurdity, a tremendous mental game
Helping me understand exactly who I am"

Offline Sebastián Pratesi

« Reply #15 on: May 11, 2019, 12:42:10 PM »
That's just how it is over in the USA, at least. We don't use S in academic grading, but we do skip E. A D is like barely passing, F means you failed. In terms of numbers, a D is usually in the 60-70% range, anything below that is F.
Thanks! :) This reminds me of that cool scene in Arrested Development:

George-Michael: Will this go toward my grade?
Donnie: (Chuckles.) We don’t have grades here. A student either learns and gets an “L,” or they fluctuate in their learning.
George-Michael: What do we get for that?
Donnie: An “F.”

https://arresteddevelopment.fandom.com/wiki/Transcript_of_S.O.B.s

Offline Max Kuehnau

• Emotionless Brainiac
  • Doomed to be a man this world forgot
« Reply #16 on: May 11, 2019, 12:52:34 PM »
So great. I fell about laughing when that one came up (thanks for recommending it to me mate)
"All my natural instincts are begging me to stop
But somehow I carry on, heading for the top
A physical absurdity, a tremendous mental game
Helping me understand exactly who I am"

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #17 on: May 11, 2019, 02:15:54 PM »

S rank I worship
A Rank I love
B Rank I enjoy a lot

The F ranked albums are there because I've never made it through a full listen more than once, and never have any interest in listening to

Offline Snow Dog

« Reply #18 on: May 11, 2019, 05:38:15 PM »

Here’s mine. I obviously favor the earlier material as they started to slip from ToT onward. D/T was a very refreshing return to form. SDOIT would be top tier if not for Disc 2. And I’ve listened to TA, but only the first half of Disc 1, and what I heard didn’t really draw me back to try again. I can’t give it a fair shake on a less than full listen.

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #19 on: May 11, 2019, 05:48:50 PM »

S -   When Dream And Day Unite, Six Degrees, Octavarium

A- Images And Words, Awake, Falling Into Infinity, The Astonishing

B-   Scenes From A Memory, Black Clouds, A Dramatic Turn Of Events, Dream Theater, Distance Over Time

C-  Train Of Thought

D-

E- Systematic Chaos

Offline jammindude

« Reply #20 on: May 11, 2019, 10:20:39 PM »
Too lazy to post a pic.

S - Octavarium, SFAM, IAW

A - Awake, DT, SDOIT, D/T

B - TOT, ADTOE

C - TA, FII, WDADU

D -

F - BCSL, SC

Note - albums within the grades are listed from strongest to weakest.
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Online Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #21 on: May 12, 2019, 03:49:02 AM »
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Online Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #22 on: May 12, 2019, 11:49:37 AM »
This is how I enjoy each album. I have songs I enjoy in each album, and this reflects the amount.

Tiers S and A I like the entire albums, Tier S is my favorites tier.

I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #23 on: May 12, 2019, 01:56:00 PM »
I wouldn't want somebody with 18 kids to mow my damn lawn, based on a longstanding bias I have against crazy fucks.

Offline JLa

« Reply #24 on: May 12, 2019, 02:15:01 PM »

Offline BeardedGentlemanHistorian

« Reply #25 on: May 12, 2019, 04:46:24 PM »

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #26 on: May 12, 2019, 05:51:15 PM »
Nobody noticed the DT12 artwork is wrong? :lol
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline ThatOneGuy2112

« Reply #27 on: May 12, 2019, 10:19:42 PM »
Seen a lot of these tier lists going around lately. So why not

EDIT: url on Imgur won't load image here for some reason so I'll just type it out:

S: SFAM, I&W, 6DOIT

A: Awake, 8V

B: ToT, FII

C: D/T, ADTOE, DT12, SC

D: BC&SL, WDADU

F: TA
« Last Edit: May 12, 2019, 10:27:25 PM by ThatOneGuy2112 »

Offline TheCountOfNYC

« Reply #28 on: May 13, 2019, 12:54:34 AM »
I’m having trouble posting the picture of my tier list so I’ll just type it out.

S: Scenes From a Memory, Octavarium, Images and Words
A: Distance Over Time, A Dramatic Turn of Events
B: Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence, Awake, Train of Thought
C: The Astonishing, Black Clouds & Silver Linings, Dream Theater
D: When Dream and Day Unite, Systematic Chaos, Falling Into Infinity
F: N/A
People figured out that the white thing that comes out of cows' titties could be drunk, and the relation between sweet desires and women's bellies growing up for 9 months. It can't be THAT hard to figure out how a trumpet works.”

-MirrorMask

Offline nattmorker

« Reply #29 on: May 13, 2019, 09:50:15 AM »
Mine:

Offline pg1067

« Reply #30 on: May 13, 2019, 10:02:27 AM »
Adding the "S" level makes no sense to me because it makes "A" not mean what it usually means.  My only hesitation with these rankings is I haven't really settled on where DOT ranks yet.  It's a little like grading a sports team's draft only a few weeks into the first season after the draft.

TOP TIER:  I&W, SFAM, SDOIT

SECOND TIER:  Awake

THIRD TIER:  TOT, 8VA, ADTOE, DT12, DOT

FOURTH TIER:  BC&SL, WDADU, FII

FIFTH TIER:  SC, TA
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline 54_diplomats

« Reply #31 on: May 13, 2019, 07:58:39 PM »
S: Awake, I&W, SFAM
A: TOT, 6DOIT, FII, 8VM
B: ADTOE, WDADU
C: DT12, SC
D: DoT
F: Astonishing, BC&SL

Surprising amount of love for WDADU on here. Was expecting almost every list to put it in F tier.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #32 on: May 13, 2019, 08:13:15 PM »
Surprising amount of love for WDADU on here. Was expecting almost every list to put it in F tier.

I rank it quite high for the songs. I don't really consider Charlie and the production.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #33 on: May 13, 2019, 08:29:58 PM »

Offline H2

« Reply #34 on: May 14, 2019, 11:22:18 AM »

My understanding for how a tier list like this is supposed to work is (i) that there is a minimal qualitative difference between albums within a given tier, (ii) that there is a substantive qualitative difference between albums across tiers, and (iii) that belonging to a low tier != being a bad album (i.e., the albums are ranked relatively to each other, not relatively to the albums of other artists).

My justification for my tier list:

SFAM are IAW are both magnum opuses of two different sides of DT (the "classic" side and the "epic" side). These albums are untouchable, IMO. Regarding SFAM, sure, you can nitpick that the individual songs like "Through My Words" on SFAM aren't necessarily mindblowing on their own, but this is SFAM we're talking about. It's a concept album that's meant to be listened to as a whole. "Through My Words" understood in context balances the bridge between "Strange Deja Vu and Fatal Tragedy" very well. The whole thing is a ride.

Regarding IAW, this is classic DT with delightful melodies, riffage, funky proggyness, soaring and crisp vocals, great lyrics, balanced songwriting. The only flaw I can think of is the production value (especially the triggered snare), but even this has become endearing over time.

SDOIT is amazing as well but does suffer from a handful of elements that hold it back, particularly a few less-than-stellar songs and questionable songwriting. As a whole it is incredible despite its imperfections. I think the same can be said of Awake, SC, and TA.

TOT and Octavarium are sister albums, I feel, one showcasing DT at their heaviest, the other at their proggiest. But there are some real flaws holding both of these albums back. TOT has these long and frankly kind of stale instrumental sections and Octavarium has a set of really average songs. They are mostly pretty good albums though.

BCASL and FII have songs which are hit-or-miss, which is why I can't rank them among DT's better albums. I don't think any song on BCASL is bad per se, and as a whole I do like the album quite a bit, but the quality between and within its songs is inconsistent. For example, you have AROP, which is really unimpressionable, standing next to ANTR and TCOT. Or you have ANTR with its awful outro verse. FII is more obviously bad in the same respect, though it does have its stellar moments.

D/T, ADTOE, and DT12, the three albums which represent "new DT's" approach to songwriting, are honestly just kind of dull in the songwriting department. There are great moments but I never feel like I want to listen to them out of anything but fan obligation. D/T is fresh and interesting and better than the other two, but I could see it feeling just as stale as them in a few years. 

WDADU is honestly their one truly bad album, which can be overlooked, as they were just finding themselves. I can understand why DT fans find the album interesting as a curiosity, but there's no doubt it's a bad album. There are some sweet moments, but on the whole the production quality, Dominici's weak vocals, and hit-or-miss songwriting make me confident it belongs in F tier.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2019, 11:50:25 AM by H2 »