Dream Theater > Dream Theater

Did you or anyone you know buy the version of DoT *without* Viper King?

(1/5) > >>

zappafrank2112:
In this day and age, bands always releasing cd versions that differ only by one or 2 bonus tracks perplexes me, especially if there's not too much difference in price.

Back in the day, when sales were split equally across vinyl, cassette, and cd, I could see why one of the versions might have a bonus track or two, probably to encourage purchase of that medium.  But in today's world, I don't understand the thought behind it.

I've never not bought the version of a cd that has bonus tracks (included DVD, that's another story), so I'm curious as to why someone would choose not to these days if both are available to them.

(I have noticed a trend where iTunes releases and the like sometimes come with unique bonus tracks, but I don't mess with that.)

Sebastián Pratesi:
The standard version without "Viper King" comes in a jewel case - a packaging format which many people (like yours truly) might prefer over digipaks.

Also, it seems some versions of the standard, 9-track CD includes a poster, which the deluxe CD version (at least the one I've bought) doesn't: https://www.discogs.com/Dream-Theater-Distance-Over-Time/release/13277666

It's also possible one might not be interested in "Viper King", and therefore would not care about the deluxe edition.

Deluxe versions are indeed weird. For instance: in 2011, Universal released new albums by Limp Bizkit and blink-182. Where I live, the Bizkit's album was only released without its bonus tracks, but blink's album was only released with theirs.

Dave_Manchester:
*raises hand*

Not a fan of the digipack format so I bought the standard edition. I like Viper King but it's not a satisfying closer to the album (Pale Blue Dot is) and I can listen to it on the band's Youtube channel whenever I want.

goo-goo:
Bought both.

Loggins:
I got mine from amazon and did not know there was another option. I would have paid more for the full monty. Viper King feels like the tenement funster to me.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version