Author Topic: Did you or anyone you know buy the version of DoT *without* Viper King?  (Read 2392 times)

Offline zappafrank2112

In this day and age, bands always releasing cd versions that differ only by one or 2 bonus tracks perplexes me, especially if there's not too much difference in price.

Back in the day, when sales were split equally across vinyl, cassette, and cd, I could see why one of the versions might have a bonus track or two, probably to encourage purchase of that medium.  But in today's world, I don't understand the thought behind it.

I've never not bought the version of a cd that has bonus tracks (included DVD, that's another story), so I'm curious as to why someone would choose not to these days if both are available to them.

(I have noticed a trend where iTunes releases and the like sometimes come with unique bonus tracks, but I don't mess with that.)

Offline Sebastián Pratesi

The standard version without "Viper King" comes in a jewel case - a packaging format which many people (like yours truly) might prefer over digipaks.

Also, it seems some versions of the standard, 9-track CD includes a poster, which the deluxe CD version (at least the one I've bought) doesn't: https://www.discogs.com/Dream-Theater-Distance-Over-Time/release/13277666

It's also possible one might not be interested in "Viper King", and therefore would not care about the deluxe edition.

Deluxe versions are indeed weird. For instance: in 2011, Universal released new albums by Limp Bizkit and blink-182. Where I live, the Bizkit's album was only released without its bonus tracks, but blink's album was only released with theirs.

Offline Dave_Manchester

*raises hand*

Not a fan of the digipack format so I bought the standard edition. I like Viper King but it's not a satisfying closer to the album (Pale Blue Dot is) and I can listen to it on the band's Youtube channel whenever I want.

Offline goo-goo

Bought both.

Offline Loggins

• Rocks.
I got mine from amazon and did not know there was another option. I would have paid more for the full monty. Viper King feels like the tenement funster to me.

Online faizoff

I bought the standard edition that doesn't come with Viper King but when I ripped the CD the track was on there.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline PetFish

I can't afford crazy special editions these days so I bought the standard physical CD and then Viper King on its own through iTunes.

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
I find it more odd how Spotify has both versions of some albums, one regular and one with bonus tracks
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
I bought the standard edition that doesn't come with Viper King but when I ripped the CD the track was on there.

This was me
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline Trav86

I have the standard with a jewel case, and Viper King is on there. It’s not listed on the packaging, but it’s on the CD.
Can't we find the minds
to lead us closer to the heart?

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
I have the standard with a jewel case, and Viper King is on there. It’s not listed on the packaging, but it’s on the CD.

Me too. That almost seems to be the norm based on what I recall reading here(?)
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Online Lupton

Yep. Same for me. Got the regular jewel case and "Viper King" is on there. Was surprised the 1st time I listened to the CD. I had avoided all the threads here in the forum regarding the album, so the bonus track was unexpected.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand

What's the point of that? Another mistake?

Offline PetFish

Isn't there always some kind of mistake with just about every DT release?  I bet we can go back and list them, I know for sure the following:

Live Scenes (DVD) - Layer change problem
Suspended Animation - Curve split into 2 tracks
Live at Luna Park - Coming Soon, thanks to Over the Edge for the info
The Astonishing - delays in the special editions and broken statues (I think almost anything "special edition" has always been delayed)

I know there's lots more but these are just the ones off the top of my head.  I know there were DVD audio sync problems on more than one release as well.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni

It's hardly a mistake. Lots of albums do that. I have tons of albums with unlisted bonus tracks.
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.

Offline pg1067

I honestly don't understand the point of having two different versions of the album (one with VK and one without).  Never made any sense to me (the "special super deluxe" versions that have a bunch of swag and outdated media (i.e., vinyl) at least make some measure of sense for folks who like that stuff, but I just want the album).  It was a bit of a pain in the butt making sure that I got the version with VK.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2019, 03:19:37 PM by pg1067 »
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline Samsara

• Queensrÿche Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Memory flows...like a river.
I bought the CD without the bonus track. That's because I had the album digitally beforehand, and saw no need to re-buy a track that was an add on to the record that really has not much in common with the album proper, and is more of a b-side. But I'm not a DT-completist, so I didn't really feel compelled. That said, I ended up buying the clear vinyl at the show, which has it on there anyway.  :lol

For the record, had I not had the album digitally from the get-go, I WOULD have purchased the CD version with the bonus track.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensrÿche (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Pre-order now at www.roadstomadness.com!

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
I honestly don't understand the point of having two different versions of the album (one with VK and one without).  Never made any sense to me (the "special super deluxe" versions that have a bunch of swag and outdated media (i.e., vinyl) at least make some measure of sense for folks who like that stuff, but I just want the album).  It was a bit of a pain in the butt making sure that I got the version with VK.

Not sure what the reasoning in other countries is (besides $$$) but at least in Japan the exclusive bonus tracks are on their media to encourage people to buy them because CDs are (for a few reasons) really expensive over there

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
I wish I got the version without it
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline silentmac6

• DT in SH
In Shanghai CDs are very much a niche market with most people downloading from QQ Music or whatever. There used to be several CD/DVD shops that I knew of, but now there are only two (I'm sure there are more somewhere).
One shop did not have D/T, whilst the other only sold the jewel CD, and VK is not on this. A pity as I mentioned before, it is a great coda and fun song. Having said all this, in the land of "fake", I can't verify the authenticity of the product, although it is extremely professional looking, as it cost just 20 RMB. This seems to be about standard price for all CDs here.
I know perfect's not for real... I thought we might get closer

Offline fadetoblackdude7

I hate the idea of bonus tracks altogether, so I always buy the version without them if I can. Was disappointed that they put it on the standard jewel case version, after they advertised that you can buy it without the track. But, life goes on.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!

This was me

That's madness.