Author Topic: I don't get a thing about Led Zeppelin's "Immigrant Song"  (Read 2891 times)

Online RoeDent

• 2006 Time Magazine Person of the Year
Re: I don't get a thing about Led Zeppelin's "Immigrant Song"
« Reply #35 on: May 12, 2019, 11:26:22 AM »
What I don't get is why people feed in to this troll.  I rarely go into his click-bait threads, and the odd time I do, he's rarely even participating in the discussion he created.  To me, that's the definition of a troll.

This. He's had at least one temp-ban so far. (I'm sure it's actually two, but I can't confirm that.) Just waiting for the next slip-up...

He's certainly a good troll, I'll give him that. Doing enough to diminish the experience of visiting this forum, and yet just about staying within the rules.

Offline NoseofNicko

« Reply #36 on: May 12, 2019, 11:52:04 AM »
He’s not a troll he’s just a strange guy. I dont think he means any harm.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2019, 11:58:58 AM by NoseofNicko »

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #37 on: May 12, 2019, 11:58:53 AM »
Honestly, there's nothing about this thread that's trollish. It has actually spurred some discussion. For everyone calling him a troll, how many threads have you started to spur some music discussion?
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
« Reply #38 on: May 12, 2019, 12:06:46 PM »
the specific problem is that he almost never participates in his own threads. sure, they're discussion, but he's not contributing to it. he just starts it then vanishes

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #39 on: May 12, 2019, 12:09:40 PM »
the specific problem is that he almost never participates in his own threads. sure, they're discussion, but he's not contributing to it. he just starts it then vanishes

Well, that I agree with, and have mentioned that in the past.

Still, I come hear to talk about music, and many of these threads provide an opportunity to do so.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #40 on: May 12, 2019, 12:46:14 PM »
I've listened to the Immigrant Song many many times.  It's a super kick ass tune.

Offline Rattlehead

« Reply #41 on: May 12, 2019, 01:15:26 PM »
Honestly, there's nothing about this thread that's trollish. It has actually spurred some discussion. For everyone calling him a troll, how many threads have you started to spur some music discussion?

I've never considered him a troll, I actually get a kick out of some of his threads and the random topics he comes up with  :lol

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #42 on: May 12, 2019, 09:55:38 PM »
Same here, but I do find it interesting that he rarely contributes to the conversations he starts, and I can see how that can be annoying to some.  Why ask a question if you're not interested in the answer?  Why start a discussion if you have no intention of participating in it?

Offline jammindude

« Reply #43 on: May 12, 2019, 10:23:26 PM »
Count me in as a supporter in general.   

"I never learned anything from a man who agreed with me." is a famous quote that I think has some application here.
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Online Indiscipline

• Ponce
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Apply IMO --->
« Reply #44 on: May 13, 2019, 09:59:13 AM »
Incredible rythmic aggression (it was 1970 for perspective's sake), perfect banging fast riff, great wailing, arguably a game-changer for rock speed and brutality at the time (with its spiritual twin Speed King). These are the reasons Immigrant Song is "great" in my opinion, plus it's one of those tunes you forever remember the first time you heard it.

About WildRanger: I don't believe him to be a troll (or maybe my idea of what a troll makes is a bit off). He asks questions and I've always read him like someone interested in some kind of intriguing opinion-data collection inside a sort of elusive great unified theory of rock music. The fact he rarely argues the answers to his questions doesn't annoy me in the slightest. On the opposite, it may very well be a hint of a honest need for opinions vs a provocative need to dispute them.

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #45 on: May 13, 2019, 10:23:04 AM »
The sing has great imagery. It's as close to heavy metal as Zeppelin got, especially in their early days. Plus it stands out as the true rocker on the album that it's on.

This... and

Question, why does a song have to have "diverse elements" and "changes" to be considered great? Sabbath wrote Paranoid in minutes and it's one of their most fun songs. Paul McCartney wrote Yesterday pretty quickly, it's barebones and yet it's arguably one of the greatest songs ever written.

Less is almost always more.

This.

Led Zeppelin is, in my humble opinion, the second greatest rock band of all time, and I've found the more you pick it apart, the less it impacts.  It's a visceral thing, and this song is probably the epitome of that.  (It also is the contextual source of the phrase "The Hammer of the Gods", which has stuck with Zeppelin ever since, including as the title of the infamous biography of the band). 

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #46 on: May 13, 2019, 10:39:08 AM »
Not all trolls need to be mean/malicious.  He's a cute little troll, but a troll none-the-less

That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline pg1067

« Reply #47 on: May 13, 2019, 10:44:52 AM »
As a Zeppelin fan I could never understand why is "Immigrant Song" one of the most popular, revered and iconic Zep tunes.

1) Its length is only 2:26.
2) It has no guitar solo.
3) It's basically one, same guitar riff/melody throughout the whole song, it lacks any musical changes and diverse elements.

From a musical perspective what makes that song so special or great?
Your subjective views and arguments?

No guitar solo isn't an issue.  For me, Page really isn't great soloist.  The other two points are both valid, but the short length of the song balances out that it's really a single-riff song.  That single riff is really (even though it's just the root and the octave played in rhythm), it's a powerhouse song, and the vocals are soaring.  It also stands in rather stark contrast to what is otherwise a rather forgettable album.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2019, 03:24:46 PM by pg1067 »
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #48 on: May 13, 2019, 02:53:46 PM »
On a scale from one to ten, this song kicks ass.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline CrimsonSunrise

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #49 on: May 18, 2019, 01:58:32 PM »
On a scale from one to ten, this song kicks ass.
:lol  sooo...is that an 11?

When I first started listening to Zep in the mid 70's the Immigrant song, along with Heartbreaker were a couple of the best riffs I'd ever heard! I hear the Immigrant song and can just visualize epic Viking battles.   :metal :metal :metal

Offline ChuckSteak

« Reply #50 on: May 19, 2019, 01:14:49 PM »
Greatness doesn't depend on song length or guitar solo. You have begin to think that a song to be good has to have certain qualities... then you are only moving in circles. What I don't get is whenever you feel something controversial, you make a thread.