Author Topic: Musical interest roll call  (Read 3622 times)

Offline dparrott

Re: Musical interest roll call
« Reply #70 on: May 18, 2019, 04:27:10 PM »
R&B

Always been hella confused by what R&B actually is. It may just be my modern bias, but R&B and Pop are mostly indistinguishable and it seems like black artists get the R&B label and white artists are labeled as Pop. If that's the case, can't we just merge them into one? Segregating music based on the race of the artist is so...1950.

"Blue Eyed Soul" is more or less a subgenre of R&B (or "Soul").

It's basically R&B done by White musicians. Hall & Oates, Michael McDonald, George Michael, Robert Palmer, Mayer Hawthorne, Amy Winehouse, etc

Michael Jackson is pop, Luther Vandross is R&B. 

Robert Palmer is R&B?  Not from what I've heard. 
"I don't know nuttin about nuttin" - Marshawn Lynch

The very soul of what was once real music is now lost in a digital quagmire of emotionless sonic madness.

Online SoundscapeMN

« Reply #71 on: May 18, 2019, 05:56:32 PM »
R&B

Always been hella confused by what R&B actually is. It may just be my modern bias, but R&B and Pop are mostly indistinguishable and it seems like black artists get the R&B label and white artists are labeled as Pop. If that's the case, can't we just merge them into one? Segregating music based on the race of the artist is so...1950.

"Blue Eyed Soul" is more or less a subgenre of R&B (or "Soul").

It's basically R&B done by White musicians. Hall & Oates, Michael McDonald, George Michael, Robert Palmer, Mayer Hawthorne, Amy Winehouse, etc

Michael Jackson is pop, Luther Vandross is R&B. 

Robert Palmer is R&B?  Not from what I've heard.

look up Robert Palmer on rateyourmusic and Wikipedia and Blue-Eyed Soul is 1 of the tags he's given.

Coming from my wife whose a huge Robert Palmer fan,

"most people don't know his solo work outside of hits like Simply Irresistible and Addicted to Love, but especially his early solo work he was more or less trying to be like Joe Cocker and Bryan Ferry.

His cover of "I Didn't Mean to turn You on" was originally written by Jimmy Jam and Terry Lewis and the original version from Cherelle charted on the R&B Chart"

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #72 on: May 19, 2019, 04:05:32 AM »
-What is your favorite band?

Iron Maiden

-What are some of your all-time favorite albums?

Bruce Dickinson - Chemical Wedding
Iron Maiden - Powerslave
Iron Maiden - The X Factor
Queensryche - Operation Mindcrime
Tool - Aenima
Allen/Lande - The Battle
Judas Priest - Jugulator
Judas Priest - Painkiller
WASP - The Crimson Idol
King Diamond - Abigail
Dream Theater - Awake
Dream Theater - Images and Words
Primal Fear - Delivering the Black
Trivium - Ascendancy

-What is your favorite genre/subgenre?  Which do you "identify" with most closely?

Straight up hard rock and heavy metal, but I feel I indentify with a few closely.  Some growls are becoming a staple for me lately.  Can't go wrong with some prog metal too.

-What was your musical journey in life like?

Started playing the guitar when I was about 12.  Was learning some Metallica, Green Day, Offspring, Nirvana etc. and was liking that kind of rock stuff.  I was about 14 or so and saw Aces High (Iron Maiden) on late night music TV and it changed my life forever.  I've been made of metal ever since.

-What kind of music was playing in your household when you were growing up?

Rock radio.

-What albums do you consider "classic" as part of your musical identity?

Quite a few of the ones listed above in my fav albums.  Although I think it's time for a top 50 v2.  Although I'd name more of the classic Maiden albums aswell as some Sabbath and some more Priest.  As a guitarist, add some Satch and Malmsteen.

-How do you feel about the following genres/subgenres?

Classic rock
Nah, appreciate it, but not big on much.

Modern rock
Pass.

Classic prog
I like Rush but that's about it.  Don't have the attention span for a lot of it and it's not heavy enough for me.

Modern prog
More acceptable, but I'm pretty picky on a lot of stuff.  Again, a lot of it lacks the heavieness.

Prog metal
Big tick.

power metal
All day long.

Classic metal
For the most part, a big fan, although a lot of staple bands I don't find appealing.

Hair metal
Can be hit or miss, but Winger.

Grunge
Yeah, was a fan as a kid but not so much anymore.

Thrash metal
Again, can be hit or miss but the bands I like, I like.

Nu metal
Loved Korn as a kid but that's about it.

Death and/or black metal
Fuck yeah.

pop
Nah.

jazz
Like some fusion but not something I listen to.

classical
Appreicate, but don't listen to.

rap/hip-hop
Fuck no.  Can't even really appreciate it to be honest.

R&B
Nope.

punk
Like Green Day and Offspring as a kid, but that's about it.

« Last Edit: May 19, 2019, 04:10:39 AM by wolfking »
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #73 on: May 19, 2019, 01:08:34 PM »
Not sure whether this is an idea that will catch on or quickly die on the vine, but I had the thought of posting this because of the old political/religious subform thread, which is basically a survey for people to post what their basic positions are on some key issues.

So, to get this going, here are some ideas for issues to discuss.  Feel free to answer some or all, or to add additional ones:

-What is your favorite band?

Rush

-What are some of your all-time favorite albums?

Marillion -- Misplaced Chilhood is Numero Uno

-What is your favorite genre/subgenre?  Which do you "identify" with most closely?

Fusion

-What was your musical journey in life like?

Neverending

-What kind of music was playing in your household when you were growing up?

It wasn't good.

-What albums do you consider "classic" as part of your musical identity?

Too Many

-How do you feel about the following genres/subgenres?

There's good and bad in every genre although the percentages of each are not the same.