Author Topic: WTF, Chrome?  (Read 1783 times)

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
WTF, Chrome?
« on: May 09, 2019, 06:54:15 AM »
My default browser is Google Chrome, for reasons I won't go into.  Recently, however, they decided to change everything and make it all black.  Black screens, black menus with white text, black title bar with white text, etc.  What the fuck?

Yeah yeah yeah, black is so cool, everything being all black is cool, except I fucking hate it.  I've been through all the Settings I can find, and can't figure out how to change it back.  I can change the Theme, and all that does is make blank tabs a different color or have a picture or something.  It doesn't change the menus, bookmark bar, or anything else.

Does anyone know how to make Chrome "normal" again?

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
Re: WTF, Chrome?
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2019, 06:55:39 AM »
Huh, my chrome hasn't been doing any of that. And I just updated it too.

#blackchromematters
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2019, 06:58:14 AM »
"My default browser is Google Chrome, for reasons I won't go into"   

Chrome is far superior to anything else on the market. That's the only reason you need.   

Also, my Chrome hasn't done anything you've mentioned. Did you accidentally enable a night mode or something?

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2019, 07:02:26 AM »

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2019, 07:05:31 AM »
So if you check 'settings' in Chrome you should find an option for themes. Maybe look into that? I haven't had this happen to me but I'm guessing that's what happened.

My only beef with Chrome is the amount of RAM it uses. Holy hell. I get why it does, but jeez.
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2019, 07:06:11 AM »
Is this of any help Orb?
Seems you've got two ways to do it, and neither of them is just a simple setting in Chrome because Google much like Apple seem to think they know what's best and force shit upon the user. Second method seems pretty easy though. Hope you can get it sorted!
https://piunikaweb.com/2019/05/06/heres-how-you-can-disable-google-chrome-dark-mode-after-update-on-windows-10-mac-os/
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2019, 07:11:53 AM »
My default browser is Google Chrome, for reasons I won't go into.

That's like saying "My favorite band is Dream Theater, for reasons I won't go into".
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2019, 07:16:52 AM »
It is just like that.  Most of the time, when I mention Chrome, the next thing I hear is about how it sucks, Firefox is better, some other thing is better, and I end up explaining why I like Chrome better.  For a while I preemptively just explained why, but this time I chose to skip that part.  What I should've done is just ask how to fix it.  I still would've gotten the usual comments about how Chrome sucks, etc., but apparently this is no way to avoid that.

Is this of any help Orb?
Seems you've got two ways to do it, and neither of them is just a simple setting in Chrome because Google much like Apple seem to think they know what's best and force shit upon the user. Second method seems pretty easy though. Hope you can get it sorted!
https://piunikaweb.com/2019/05/06/heres-how-you-can-disable-google-chrome-dark-mode-after-update-on-windows-10-mac-os/

Yes!  Thank you!  For some reason, "Dark" is the default Windows app setting, which as far as I can tell, has never come into play before.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2019, 07:24:42 AM »
Mine is still white, but this is gonna make me try and switch it to the dark theme. Much easier on the eyes for me. I've been using the youtube dark theme for a while now.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2019, 07:25:55 AM »
Mine is still white, but this is gonna make me try and switch it to the dark theme. Much easier on the eyes for me. I've been using the youtube dark theme for a while now.

Same. Been using YouTube dark for many months now and every time I see the white background on another device I can't stand it. Think I'll give the dark theme on Chrome a shot too.
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2019, 07:56:27 AM »
It is just like that.  Most of the time, when I mention Chrome, the next thing I hear is about how it sucks, Firefox is better, some other thing is better, and I end up explaining why I like Chrome better.  For a while I preemptively just explained why, but this time I chose to skip that part.  What I should've done is just ask how to fix it.  I still would've gotten the usual comments about how Chrome sucks, etc., but apparently this is no way to avoid that.

Where are you hanging out that anyone still uses FF? XD

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #11 on: May 09, 2019, 08:23:04 AM »
Mac / Chrome user here.  No problems at all - other than (as Katt said) it's a goddamned memory hog.  Try having that and Spotify open at the same time!  I've resorted to using the Spotify Web Browser a lot to relive my memory issues.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #12 on: May 09, 2019, 08:30:16 AM »
Mac / Chrome user here.  No problems at all - other than (as Katt said) it's a goddamned memory hog.  Try having that and Spotify open at the same time!  I've resorted to using the Spotify Web Browser a lot to relive my memory issues.

I currently have 130 tabs open in Chrome, and it's fine for me. :lol (I swear I got it down as low as 80 a few days ago)
I have it set to save my tabs when I close the browser, although my PC has been on for a week or so now, so I haven't done that in a while. :blob:

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #13 on: May 09, 2019, 08:33:15 AM »
I currently have 130 tabs open in Chrome, and it's fine for me. :lol (I swear I got it down as low as 80 a few days ago)

WTF! I usually only ever have 3 or 4 open at once. How do you even know which tab is which with that many open?

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #14 on: May 09, 2019, 08:34:23 AM »

I have it set to save my tabs when I close the browser, although my PC has been on for a week or so now, so I haven't done that in a while. :blob:

Do you close Chrome when you render your videos or do you have another PC for that? I can guess that it takes A LOT of RAM to do.

And 130 tabs? I think having more than 8 is a lot :lol
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #15 on: May 09, 2019, 08:36:43 AM »

WTF! I usually only ever have 3 or 4 open at once. How do you even know which tab is which with that many open?

Cuz I can see the icons! Also it's split between three browser windows across two screens, so I know the approximate location of what I need.

Do you close Chrome when you render your videos or do you have another PC for that? I can guess that it takes A LOT of RAM to do.

I don't ever close the browser. If my PC is on, the browser is open. It's a necessity at all times. If I'm rendering, I need something to do! :lol

Offline dparrott

« Reply #16 on: May 09, 2019, 08:46:15 AM »
So if you check 'settings' in Chrome you should find an option for themes. Maybe look into that? I haven't had this happen to me but I'm guessing that's what happened.

My only beef with Chrome is the amount of RAM it uses. Holy hell. I get why it does, but jeez.

Firefox is worse with RAM I think. 
"I don't know nuttin about nuttin" - Marshawn Lynch

The very soul of what was once real music is now lost in a digital quagmire of emotionless sonic madness.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #17 on: May 09, 2019, 08:59:18 AM »

Firefox is worse with RAM I think.

It is, and that's the worst part about this!  :lol

Offline XJDenton

• What a shame
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #18 on: May 10, 2019, 02:09:42 PM »
It was, but Chrome is a notorious RAM hog nowadays.
"For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for nature cannot be fooled." - Richard Feynman

Offline CrimsonSunrise

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #19 on: May 10, 2019, 02:51:30 PM »
I love Chrome.  On my mac at home I have the dark theme, and at work the reg theme on multiple computers.  The thing I love about chrome is being able to go on any device, log into my chrome, and have all my bookmarks and passwords :)  I used to be an avid Firefox guy up until about 5 years ago or so.  Maybe FF has the same features now?