Poll

What special releases/tours would you still like to see DT do (in addition to new music)?

An entirely acoustic album/tour.
27 (23.9%)
DT commissioned to do an entire movie score/soundtrack.
10 (8.8%)
Another entire album covered (Dark Side of the Moon, Master of Puppets, etc.)
10 (8.8%)
Making a movie or musical out of The Astonishing or another of their albums.
17 (15%)
Doing another package tour (ala DT/QR/FW in 2003, albeit with different bands).
12 (10.6%)
Other. (explain below)
16 (14.2%)
Kevin Moore.
21 (18.6%)

Total Members Voted: 81

Author Topic: DT Wish List Moving Forward - Special Projects/Tours You'd Still Like to See  (Read 3419 times)

Offline DoctorAction

• Everyday Glory
A book, a movie, a clothing line, a breakfast cereal, a tv show, a floor cleaner AND a dessert topping based on TA, please!!!
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.

Offline Setlist Scotty

An entirely acoustic album/tour:  I have zero desire to see them do a full on acoustic album. However, if they wanted to do a handful of special acoustic shows similar to what they did in Dec. 1998 (semi-acoustic reworkings, rarities, some covers all in a laid back manner), I would be game for that - especially if they did them as shows performed on the second night of a two night stand.

DT commissioned to do an entire movie score/soundtrack:  Many years ago, this idea had been brought up and the idea does have some appeal to me. I think it would depend on what sort of film they were doing the soundtrack for.

Another entire album covered: I've never had a problem with them covering another band's album, so I'd love to see them bring this back again. Plenty of albums that I'd love to see them do, altho as someone else commented, it's somewhat questionable if JL could pull off some of them. At the very least, along this line of reasoning, I'd love to see them record a series of covers as they did for BCaSL and include it in the special/deluxe edition of the album.

Making a movie or musical out of The Astonishing or another of their albums:  Maybe a movie, but not a musical. Low on my list of things I'd like to see them do.

Doing another package tour:  No thanks. I'd rather get the maximum amount of DT each time I go see them. 

Other: I'd like to see them do a "live" concept album. By that, I mean select a bunch of songs from throughout their catalog (enough for an Evening With show) that they weave together in such a way with minor alterations both lyrically and musically so that it is as if they are performing a concept album live. Kinda like what Cirque do Soleil did with the Beatles catalog for Love.

Another "other" idea, which once again I wouldn't mind seeing as a bonus CD for an upcoming album, rather than as a standalone release, would be for them to record in the studio older songs from their catalog that they've changed up and rewritten.

Other: The only other thing I can think of would be to have a tour where the setlist would in part be voted for by the fans. They could exclude songs that they can't/don't want to play live from the voting process to retain a bit of control.
On paper, that sounds like a cool idea. However, I'd fear that the setlist would end up simply consisting of their most popular songs, which I'd have no interest in (already have seen PMU, Metropolis, AIA, TSCO, etc. more than enough times).
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Online Dream Team

Movie soundtrack, for the simple reason that hopefully it would bring them more popularity and notoriety.

Offline Another_Won

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Attest to the mighty river.Let the truth be heard!
An entirely acoustic album/tour.

I'd welcome an acoustic show for the novelty of it, an album maybe would be overkill. The acoustic thing I'd prefer it more as a bonus disc for a studio album - a bonus EP with, say, 2-3 original acoustic songs, 2-3 acoustic versions of songs of the studio album, and 1-2 covers.

I voted for this but in a limited way like MirrorMask suggests.

Offline Aythesryche

• DT.net Veteran
A book, a movie, a clothing line, a breakfast cereal, a tv show, a floor cleaner AND a dessert topping based on TA, please!!!

Offline Madman Shepherd

I dont really have a strong desire for them to do anything different. I'd rather they resume doing regular shows with a good setlist, hopefully with a good mix of deep cuts.

So naturally I chose Kevin Moore

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
All I would really want to see is Train of Thought in its entirety. That album is a personal favorite, so I would definitely get tickets to see it, but besides that I would be cool with whatever they tried to do in the future.

Offline DoctorAction

• Everyday Glory

:lol :lol
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
Other: A D/T dominant, otherwise somewhat balanced setlist. Pretty much what I think they're probably heading for.
I wouldn't want somebody with 18 kids to mow my damn lawn, based on a longstanding bias I have against crazy fucks.

Offline DTA

I'd like to see them pull out A Vision on a tour and/or some other Majesty demo stuff. There's some solid material on that album.

Offline Schurftkut

the glass prison not as an encore is blasphemy

Offline romdrums

I'd like to see the band perform at Sweetwater's GearFest.  JR and MM have done clinics at GearFest in previous years, Jordan's doing another KeyFest next weekend, and JP has done a few clinics here as well.  The outdoor stage would be perfect, since it can fit about 1500 people.  Steve Vai is the headliner this year, so why not DT next year?
Though we live in trying times, we're the ones who have to try. -Neil Peart, 1952-2020.

There is a fundamental difference between filtered facts and firehosed opinions. -Stadler.

Offline gzarruk

I'd like to see them pull out A Vision on a tour and/or some other Majesty demo stuff. There's some solid material on that album.

Would love to see this happen! A Vision is a great, forgotten track, specially the 89' version.

I'd like to see the band perform at Sweetwater's GearFest.  JR and MM have done clinics at GearFest in previous years, Jordan's doing another KeyFest next weekend, and JP has done a few clinics here as well.  The outdoor stage would be perfect, since it can fit about 1500 people.  Steve Vai is the headliner this year, so why not DT next year?

JP just recorded a bunch of videos for Sweetwater, so I bet/hope they at least talked about something like that. It'd be really cool, and we could get some really nice pro-shot footage of that show.

Here are a few things I'd like them to do, but most likely won't happen:

- Re record WDADU with the current lineup and release it as a 30th anniversary special edition.

- Something like Spock's Beard did for their 20th anniversary, where they recorded a 20+ minute epic featuring all the current and previous members of the band. For DT, this will never happen because of MP's pride and because nobody wants DS near them ever again :lol

- Release a short EP with a different approach to songwriting. Not their usual "let's jam all together to see what we can come up with", but maybe let each member bring in a full song, and just record it.
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline emtee

I would LOVE a studio re-recorded version of WDaDU. Maybe as
a bonus disc for their next album.

And a remastered version of ADToE...one that sounds as good
as DoT.

Offline BeatriceNB

I think this is a bit outside of the topic, but, I would love DT to do some kind of Liquid Tension, but with Myung and Mangini. I feel LTE lacks a musical direction, and I'm not a fan of Portnoy. I had this idea while watching the jams from the drummer auditions, and noticed they have some kind of telepathy for improvs.

More on topic, I really hope DT pull off a Pink Floyd move, and release some recordings like tour bootlegs, video concerts, demos, maybe even the jams from the auditions (not only the Mangini one).

Offline pg1067

I would love DT to do some kind of Liquid Tension, but with Myung and Mangini.

What does "do some kind of Liquid Tension" mean?  "Liquid Tension" isn't a thing, and Liquid Tension Experiment was a collaboration between four specific people.  If you drop Portnoy and Levin and add Mangini and Myung, then that's just Dream Theater.  Are you saying you want DT to send Labrie packing for an album cycle so that they can do an instrumental album?
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline Setlist Scotty

Would love to see this happen! A Vision is a great, forgotten track, specially the 89' version.
Agreed! Sadly, I doubt that will ever happen - after JP decided it was best to drop DLPM (another rarity) due to lack of crowd reaction (not to mention TLF on the same tour, and TGD back in 2011), I think it's pretty safe to say such obscurities, though loved by us diehards, won't be pulled out again.

- Re record WDADU with the current lineup and release it as a 30th anniversary special edition.
I think that boat has already sailed, especially for it's 30th anniversary. It would be more realistic to at least see them re-record one or two tracks for some sort of future compilation.

- Something like Spock's Beard did for their 20th anniversary, where they recorded a 20+ minute epic featuring all the current and previous members of the band. For DT, this will never happen because of MP's pride and because nobody wants DS near them ever again :lol
That actually would be a cool idea, but your comments (in bold are wrong). I'd be willing to bet that MP would be game for this, but I doubt JL would want him involved. And regarding DS, while I didn't like his over reliance on using the Hammond Organ sound, I love what he brought to DT, and I'd love to see what he would contribute at this point - I know I'm not alone in feeling this way, although we are a minority. Good luck with getting KM to participate though!   ::)

- Release a short EP with a different approach to songwriting. Not their usual "let's jam all together to see what we can come up with", but maybe let each member bring in a full song, and just record it.
That's another cool idea, and probably the most realistic one of the bunch. Isn't that kinda what Yes did for their Fragile album? Whether released as an EP or as a bonus disc to another album, I think that would be unique and give some perspective on each band member's interest and personal style. Biggest issues I can see preventing that from happening are that DT already has a pretty established collaborative writing style that not only do they feel comfortable with, but is part of their identity. The other is that they'd probably be worried about the fans comparing each song and which is better than which, and therefore, who's the better/best songwriter.

And a remastered version of ADToE...one that sounds as good
as DoT.
That would probably require more than a remaster - more likely a remix, no?

I think this is a bit outside of the topic, but, I would love DT to do some kind of Liquid Tension, but with Myung and Mangini. I feel LTE lacks a musical direction, and I'm not a fan of Portnoy. I had this idea while watching the jams from the drummer auditions, and noticed they have some kind of telepathy for improvs.

More on topic, I really hope DT pull off a Pink Floyd move, and release some recordings like tour bootlegs, video concerts, demos, maybe even the jams from the auditions (not only the Mangini one).
I find your comments, particularly about not being a fan of MP quite ironic, because he's the one you can thank for ALL of those things you commented on! Who was responsible for LTE's existence in the first place? Besides the heads of Magna Carta, it was MP. Who was responsible for the improvs (whether standalone or within a song) included in DT's setlists? MP. Who was responsible for the official bootlegs of all sorts (demos, live, videos, etc.)? MP. Now that he's gone, all those things are too. Can't have your cake and eat it too!

Additionally, keep in mind that improvs by nature typically lack musical direction because the band members are reacting to one another spontaneously. So another irony of what you're saying is that you'd love to see something that you don't really like.  :P

I would love DT to do some kind of Liquid Tension, but with Myung and Mangini.
What does "do some kind of Liquid Tension" mean?  "Liquid Tension" isn't a thing, and Liquid Tension Experiment was a collaboration between four specific people.  If you drop Portnoy and Levin and add Mangini and Myung, then that's just Dream Theater.  Are you saying you want DT to send Labrie packing for an album cycle so that they can do an instrumental album?
I'm pretty sure she means that improvisational aspect to DT's music. When speaking about the improvs DT did within BtL and TLF, as well as the standalone ones on the ToT tour, MP referred to it as "pure LTE-land". I too would like to see them bring that back in the live setting, but due to the unpredictable nature of it and how JP wants everything to be controlled and consistent from show to show, I doubt it will happen.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2019, 02:20:04 AM by Setlist Scotty »
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline DTA

Agreed! Sadly, I doubt that will ever happen - after JP decided it was best to drop DLPM (another rarity) due to lack of crowd reaction (not to mention TLF on the same tour, and TGD back in 2011), I think it's pretty safe to say such obscurities, though loved by us diehards, won't be pulled out again.

True. I definitely think that was an error in JP's judgment and hopefully doesn't become a habit on future tours with replacing rare tracks with overplayed stuff or just avoiding them altogether.

Offline gzarruk

I think that boat has already sailed, especially for it's 30th anniversary. It would be more realistic to at least see them re-record one or two tracks for some sort of future compilation.

That actually would be a cool idea, but your comments (in bold are wrong). I'd be willing to bet that MP would be game for this, but I doubt JL would want him involved. And regarding DS, while I didn't like his over reliance on using the Hammond Organ sound, I love what he brought to DT, and I'd love to see what he would contribute at this point - I know I'm not alone in feeling this way, although we are a minority. Good luck with getting KM to participate though!   ::)

That's another cool idea, and probably the most realistic one of the bunch. Isn't that kinda what Yes did for their Fragile album? Whether released as an EP or as a bonus disc to another album, I think that would be unique and give some perspective on each band member's interest and personal style. Biggest issues I can see preventing that from happening are that DT already has a pretty established collaborative writing style that not only do they feel comfortable with, but is part of their identity. The other is that they'd probably be worried about the fans comparing each song and which is better than which, and therefore, who's the better/best songwriter.

Will do 3 answers in one, since I'm too lazy to properly quote each one:

- A future compilation might be cool if they do things like that, but since they already did one for everything between IAW and OVM, I don't know if a new one would just focus on the rest of the catalog (SC to D/T) or a full career retrospective with rare editions and such.

- Well, MP does seem more open now, but I think he still has issues with working with James and JM. Also, I don't think he's too happy with MM either, so I just don't see it happening, but I might be wrong on that.

About Derek, I was talking about all his DT bashing on the SOA promotional cycle, and he still, to this day, makes comments about other prog keyboardists sounding like cheese and how he has the best sounds and blah blah. We know the DT guys are aware of this (some fan asked Jordan about it on Facebook and he answered the post), so I don't really think the're eager to work with Derek again.

As for KM, well, that's right, but in my perfect scenario he could at least help with some lyric writing, as he did with Fates on a song from DIADL. A man can dream, right? :lol

- I'd love it if they just went with it and let each member bring in a fully written track (doubt James would, but he could write lyrics to all of them and I'd be pretty happy with that). Or maybe just release an EP with a few songs developed from ideas they've had through the years but never fit into the albums they were writing at the time. Just a fun release before making their next studio album.

True. I definitely think that was an error in JP's judgment and hopefully doesn't become a habit on future tours with replacing rare tracks with overplayed stuff or just avoiding them altogether.

That's why they've played AIA, PMU and TSCO a lot on the most recent tours :-\
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline BeatriceNB

(Quote goes here because I destroyed the format and I know nothing about formating here)

That's two unrelated things, in fact, I like the bootlegs, and I loved the jams on the I&W tour, and I was really hoping for extended versions of the SFAM songs on this tour. That's a completely different factor to me disliking his playing style sans WDADU, and I&W and Awake to a lesser extent. And it's not like the improvs. on Budokan 2004 or SFAM 2000 are worth noting, 'cause they aren't, IMO; amazing idea, bad execution.
The lack of musical direction is because I feel there's no red thread tying together the songs of LTE, it's "anything goes", but in a way I think doesn't work.

Also, having bootlegs isn't inherent to Mike Portnoy, or anything, and either way, it doesn't prevent me from wanting DT to release some unseen things in the future, when they stop making music (like Pink Floyd did, which, happens to be a band with 0 bootleg culture coming from their members).

And I don't find any relation between MP being a founding member of LTE to me wanting another similar band, I just mentioned LTE because they have a jam nature and pretty much everyone, if not everyone, has listened to them and knows them. I could have mentioned The Aristocrats, which is one of my favourite bands ever, but their style leans towards Rock (instrumental) with improvisations in the middle, that go even further in that aspect in their shows.
And while they fit the bill, their Rock-y nature could cause a misunderstood. 

«I'm pretty sure she means that improvisational aspect to DT's music. When speaking about the improvs DT did within BtL and TLF, as well as the standalone ones on the ToT tour, MP referred to it as "pure LTE-land". I too would like to see them bring that back in the live setting, but due to the unpredictable nature of it and how JP wants everything to be controlled and consistent from show to show, I doubt it will happen»

Kinda, I meant the improvisational aspect of LTE, case on point, the jam on When The Water Breaks. Or the solo section in the live versions of Acid Rain.

And I didn't say "Liquid Tension Experiment" just because I wanted to short it, for fun, I guess. And my point was a more improvisation friendly band, not just DT without LaBrie (I love his voice); although many fans joke about DT having really long instrumental passages, this isn't the case most of time. You could argue it's DT without LaBrie when it comes to the lineup, then it makes sense. But stylistically is not what I meant.

I may come across aggressive, but that's not my intention at all. Sorry if that seems to be case.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2019, 09:09:26 PM by BeatriceNB »

Offline Setlist Scotty

That's two unrelated things, in fact, I like the bootlegs,
<snip>
Also, having bootlegs isn't inherent to Mike Portnoy, or anything, and either way, it doesn't prevent me from wanting DT to release some unseen things in the future, when they stop making music (like Pink Floyd did, which, happens to be a band with 0 bootleg culture coming from their members).
I think your previous post made it very clear that you like bootlegs - I wasn't arguing that at all. The point I was making is that MP was really the only one in the band that was interested in producing that sort of thing. That's why there haven't been any further official bootleg releases since he left the band. And don't get me wrong, I'd love to see them produce some new bootlegs too - at the very least they could release bootlegs containing the demos for each of their MM-era albums, as well as a bootleg for each of the tours/setlists that haven't gotten an official release (from 2015, 2016 and 2017 - perhaps even from a few different shows in 2011 and 2012). But with a seeming lack of interest on the other guys' part, it ain't happening.

and I loved the jams on the I&W tour, and I was really hoping for extended versions of the SFAM songs on this tour.
Me too. That's one thing that disappointed me about them playing SFaM for the second set - they're pretty much playing the album as released instead of changing things to freshen it up and give us something a little different.

That's a completely different factor to me disliking his playing style sans WDADU, and I&W and Awake to a lesser extent.
So your dislike for MP is his playing style - that wasn't made clear in your initial post.

And it's not like the improvs. on Budokan 2004 or SFAM 2000 are worth noting, 'cause they aren't, IMO; amazing idea, bad execution.
The lack of musical direction is because I feel there's no red thread tying together the songs of LTE, it's "anything goes", but in a way I think doesn't work.
As I said in my previous post, band improvs by nature will lack musical direction. Sometimes it works amazingly well, and other times it will fall flat. That's the nature of the beast, and that would make sense as to why you're not a fan of at least some of LTE's songs (3 Minute Warning, Chewbacca, Liquid Dreams, etc)

So correct me if I'm wrong, but the impression I'm getting is that the "improv" you're referring to is basically extending a guitar or keyboard solo with JP or JR improvising within the extra space. That's definitely different from what your initial post implied, which is why it didn't make sense to me.

Offline BeatriceNB

Well, then we understood each other. Nice.

About the idea of extending solos/sections, that would be fun on the shows, again, like the I&W tour; but that's different. Honestly, now I'm lost, and LTE may be actually what I want, lol, but I just can't really get into them.

Offline Mebert78

• DTF.org Alumni
I picked "Kevin Moore."  One of my dreams is to see him and Petrucci reunite in some way and release a few songs together.  After all, it was their songwriting partnership that led to DT's early success and it's only right that they reconnect again one day.  The idea of them even just writing and releasing some simple acoustic instrumental tunes (along the lines of LTE's "Hourglass") would be awesome.   
An unofficial online community for fans of keyboardist Kevin Moore (ex-Dream Theater, Chroma Key, OSI):

Offline Samsara

• Queensr˙che Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Driving the nail into my head. Memory flows...
I picked "Kevin Moore."  One of my dreams is to see him and Petrucci reunite in some way and release a few songs together.  After all, it was their songwriting partnership that led to DT's early success and it's only right that they reconnect again one day.  The idea of them even just writing and releasing some simple acoustic instrumental tunes (along the lines of LTE's "Hourglass") would be awesome.

Amen. Maybe it'll happen one day. Fingers-crossed.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - Out in May 2024!

www.roadstomadness.com

Offline Ninjabait

• XBOX is a God to Me
  • PR permission
-Making a stage musical or movie out of The Astonishing with some of the fleshed out details of the novelization.
-Other: A Liquid Tension Experiment reunion album.
-An acoustic live album, similar to An Evening With Jordan Rudess & John Petrucci and that one Anathema did

In order of preference.