Author Topic: How did you 1st learn about WDADU?  (Read 4246 times)

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
Re: How did you 1st learn about WDADU?
« Reply #35 on: May 13, 2019, 08:48:59 AM »
What a letdown.

Said no zappafrank2112 ever!!!
Yeah, we know.

Yeah, and I know lot of people here don't like the album, and that doesn't stop them from stating as such.

Deal with it, son.
People don't go out of their way to state it.  Only if it comes up (like a thread on that very subject).

Please don't call me son.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline SuperTaco

• why do I still exist
  • doomed to fail
« Reply #36 on: May 29, 2019, 08:20:15 PM »
When I first listened to WDADU, I had no idea that there was a different singer. It threw me for a bit of a loop and I put it down after the first song. Not long after that, I gave the whole album a try. It clicked and resonated with me intensely. It was a very organic experience, and a special one. This was almost 13 years ago. I still love the album very much today. It makes my heart feel alive.
So fking tired of being an oversensitive naive moronic fkin bitch. I CANT STOP IT. I CANT CHANGE. IM STUCK. This world eats me alive. My purpose is simply to be what others shouldn't be. A shriveled fking beacon of sad energy. I have lost. I am lost.

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #37 on: June 01, 2019, 01:16:44 PM »
When I first listened to WDADU, I had no idea that there was a different singer. It threw me for a bit of a loop and I put it down after the first song. Not long after that, I gave the whole album a try. It clicked and resonated with me intensely. It was a very organic experience, and a special one. This was almost 13 years ago. I still love the album very much today. It makes my heart feel alive.

That was my experience with Images And Words when I stumbled on it at a record show. Had no idea there was a different singer. Hell, I thought the band had broken up. I thought it was great to finally have new album after more than 2 years of radio silence.

Offline Lethean

« Reply #38 on: June 01, 2019, 05:52:29 PM »
I probably learned about WDADU from DT's website.  I knew there was a different singer and that people had mixed opinions on his voice.  I think it's a good album, but I definitely prefer DT with James.  I'd love to hear the ones I haven't heard live like The Killing Hand.

Offline romdrums

« Reply #39 on: June 03, 2019, 10:38:59 AM »
I think I discovered WDADU through Columbia House, though I'm not 100% sure.  No, I think I found it in a record store in Grand Rapids, MI a few months after I had picked up I&W.  I remember listening to it on a school bus trip to a marching band competition during my sophomore year of high school, so that would have been fall of 1992.  I remember getting it on cassette, and thinking they had a thing with putting all the really good stuff on side two.  Either way, I dug it a lot.  Charlie's singing wasn't the greatest, but the songs were pretty cool.  I don't listen to it much these days, but I think I'll put it on this afternoon.
Though we live in trying times, we're the ones who have to try. -Neil Peart, 1952-2020.

There is a fundamental difference between filtered facts and firehosed opinions. -Stadler.

Offline silentmac6

• DT in SH
« Reply #40 on: June 04, 2019, 02:07:02 AM »
I cannot exactly remember when I first got WDADU, it was in an old second hand store sometime in the late 90s I guess. I had known about it since I&W and seeing a MP/JLB interview at that time, but to me it was the holy grail as I couldn't believe it was available in UK. Unfortunately the production and (at that time) Charlie's vocals were a disappointment to me, but it was good as a completist acquisition. In 2002 at the same time as SDOIT, WDADU was rereleased as a remaster, so I bought it again hoping for a better sound... not much improvement there, but I learned appreciate it more. Although I consider WDADU DT's lowest ranking album, it has its charm and some good songs, just not their best.
I know perfect's not for real... I thought we might get closer

Offline metrojam

« Reply #41 on: June 19, 2019, 11:05:00 AM »
Some time in 1989 I was lucky to hear AFIL and OAMT on the BBC Friday Rock Show hosted by Tommy Vance (i think) and I was half paying attention to the music until these 2 songs came on which blew me away. I went to my local independent record shop who had the album on Vinyl and the rest is history!

EXACTLY the same as myself :) It was of course the late, great, Thomas the Vance who hosted that unmissable Friday night essential listening show and I also remember MP being a guest on the show either just before or just after Images was released and some songs from that being played. I will never forget TV talking about one particular track (i think it was Under A Glass Moon, but it could have been a few others) when he said to Mike that it sounded like the band threw everything, including the kitchen sink, into that song!! :)
30 years ago!!!!.....that seems unbelievable!

Offline silentmac6

• DT in SH
« Reply #42 on: June 20, 2019, 04:28:13 AM »
I also remember MP being a guest on the show either just before or just after Images was released and some songs from that being played. I will never forget TV talking about one particular track (i think it was Under A Glass Moon, but it could have been a few others) when he said to Mike that it sounded like the band threw everything, including the kitchen sink, into that song!! :)

I remember listening to that particular show also (in spring '93 - I was in the bath at the time ;D). I already had I&W by then and it had quickly become one of my all time favourites. The song TV raved about was Metropolis 1, to which he exclaimed "Oooofff", praising the technical expertise.
I know perfect's not for real... I thought we might get closer

Offline metrojam

« Reply #43 on: June 21, 2019, 07:41:58 AM »
I also remember MP being a guest on the show either just before or just after Images was released and some songs from that being played. I will never forget TV talking about one particular track (i think it was Under A Glass Moon, but it could have been a few others) when he said to Mike that it sounded like the band threw everything, including the kitchen sink, into that song!! :)

I remember listening to that particular show also (in spring '93 - I was in the bath at the time ;D). I already had I&W by then and it had quickly become one of my all time favourites. The song TV raved about was Metropolis 1, to which he exclaimed "Oooofff", praising the technical expertise.

Thank you for refreshing my memories :)