Author Topic: How did you 1st learn about WDADU?  (Read 4193 times)

Offline zappafrank2112

How did you 1st learn about WDADU?
« on: May 02, 2019, 10:07:03 AM »
I'm a fan from back when Pull Me Under debuted on MTV, and was immediately mesmerized by the band, but knew nothing about them and didn't see anything in the zines of the time.

I ask about WDADU specifically b/c back when I got into them, that album was almost like a secret not many people knew about unless they'd been familiar with the band on I guess a local level.

There was a pretty small new/used CD store near me and sometime in I guess mid '93 or so, I was perusing the used cd's when all of a sudden I saw a cd by Dream Theater, but it wasn't Images and Words!  I looked at the liners and everyone was there except James Labrie!  I immediately bought it and as I've made clear other places (heh), I adored the album from the get-to.

Suddenly the notes in the I&W liners about "other singers" and a prior tour made sense!

I point to mid '93 as when I found it b/c I got the Live at the Marquee import (was at another music store and BOOM, there it was) soon after it was released, and I already knew AFiL and The Killing Hand on it.

I know the album has been budget re-released over time, and the original Mechanic Records version is available via Ebay at decent prices, but I have a small sense of hipster-ish pride knowing I came across it on my own, in its original form, back in the day and before the band took off.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
Re: How did you 1st learn about WDADU?
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2019, 10:18:57 AM »
I went to Google and looked for a list of their albums.
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2019, 10:20:25 AM »
I was walking through the CD store and saw it. Eventually, I bought it. This was around 2003

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2019, 10:31:46 AM »
After I became a DT fan.  :justjen
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline DTA

« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2019, 10:32:15 AM »
The first DT album I ever heard was Once In A Livetime and Ytsejam was on it. I thought I&W was their first album when I first got into them but once I discovered that this song wasn’t on Awake, Images, or FII I knew there had to be another album I missed. I loved WDADU from the first moment I heard it and still think it has a vibe unlike all their other albums (though DT12 comes a bit closer than others to recapturing it).

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2019, 11:01:13 AM »
I first heard about DT in 1992 thanks to PMU on the radio and a friend who lent me I&W. From there I was a fan, though at that time I knew nothing about them beyond what was in the CD liner notes, which is to say not much beyond their names and what instruments they played.

I either found out about WD&DU via the internet, or by one of their DVD commentary tracks, either of which would have been much, much later. Which is so weird to think about now… being a big fan of a band and completely unaware of an album in their discography.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2019, 11:05:41 AM »
I remember finding out about it in the first half of the '90s at some point.  I ran into some guys that were talking about Dream Theater, and they mentioned that there was an album before Images.  I remember eventually seeing a copy somewhere a bit later on.  But although I enjoyed I&W, I was only really a casual fan, and I wasn't interested in hearing the band with a different singer.  I'm guessing it was around the time of Six Degrees that I ended up picking it up.  I didn't listen to it much at all, but wanted it for completeness, as I was fully into the band from SFAM on and was going back and getting the back catalog.  The last three pieces I needed to fill that in were WDADU, LatM, and OIALT.  I believe WDADU was the first of those that I got. 

I didn't really become familiar with the WDADU songs until much later, for the most part.  I liked the versions of The Killing Hand and A Fortune in Lies from LatM.  And I was vaguely familiar with Ytsejam from OIALT, but didn't really care for it.  WDADRU was what really got me familiar with the songs.  And thanks for the reminder.  I think I'll listen to that now.  :D
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2019, 11:10:53 AM »
I either found out about WD&DU via the internet, or by one of their DVD commentary tracks, either of which would have been much, much later. Which is so weird to think about now… being a big fan of a band and completely unaware of an album in their discography.

Well, in fairness, unless you were a fan club member or had lucked into discovering them during the WDADU cycle, it wouldn't have been very easy to find out back then.  It's really not that uncommon a thing.

Back in the day, before Y&T got picked up by A&M Records and released Earthshaker in 1980 with the "Y&T" name, they had released two albums under "Yesterday & Today" on a small label (London Records).  It was kind of a similar situation, where only the die hards or those who were along for the ride since the beginning knew about those first two albums, since they were out of print almost immediately and almost impossible to find.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2019, 11:14:18 AM »
I liked the versions of The Killing Hand and A Fortune in Lies from LatM.

I forgot about LatM. I knew it existed, I think my friend who lent me I&W had it, but I never bothered to check it out. Not sure why in retrospect.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2019, 11:20:39 AM »
Yeah, I got it relatively late myself (around the SDOIT or TOT cycle--I'm guessing the latter).  I got the U.S. version first, and then hunted for quite awhile before I found the Japanese version with Another Day instead of Surrounded so that I could hear the transition from Another Day to Another Hand/The Killing Hand.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2019, 11:24:14 AM »
I first heard about DT sometime in the spring of 1989 -- must have been shortly after WDADU was released.  Queensryche was still riding high with Operation: Mindcrime, and I saw a little snippet on MTV about "bands you might also like if you like Queensryche."  They mentioned Fates Warning and Dream Theater, and I think the third was Crimson Glory.  I went out to look for albums by these bands.

The first one I found was No Exit by Fates Warning.  I immediately bought it, and FW has been one of my favorite bands since then.

I saw some Crimson Glory CDs but never bought one.  I think the singer's stage name and the fact that he wore a mask turned me off.

Unfortunately, I never found anything by DT.  I didn't know they had only released one album at that point, and I'm guessing that the original release of WDADU may not have been available at all in Southern California.  I kept checking for a while but probably had forgotten about it after a couple years

Fast forward to 1992, and "Pull Me Under" broke on a local radio station, and I went out and bought I&W.  I remembered having heard about DT a few years earlier, and I saw DT four times between November 1992 and June 1993.  They played OAMOT, YJ, TKH, AFIL and SS.  I don't recall specifically when I bought WDADU, but I assume it worked its way into local record stores in late 1992 or 1993 and that I had bought it before the end of 1993.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #11 on: May 02, 2019, 11:24:41 AM »
I was introduced to the band by my cousin, he did all the work of discovering DT. At some point he mentioned the first album which had another singer while he thought Images and Words was their first. I was a slow learner, took me like 4 months to realize The Mirror, stuck at the end of a cassette tape he made for me (feeling old yet?) was awesome, that song started the avalanche effect that made me a DT fan back in 1999.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline zappafrank2112

« Reply #12 on: May 02, 2019, 11:25:27 AM »
Oh, and then the Images and Words Live in Tokyo VHS was another thing I picked up right when it dropped.  I'd already seen the vids for PMU and Take the Time (which came out after I already had I&W), but was like, "oh wow, there's a video for Another Day."

And then of course To Live Forever is on the VHS, so I consider it a part of my initial fandom.  And then how surprising it was to hear The Mirror for the 1st time and recognize the intro as that little bit they played (Puppies on Acid) before Take the Time.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #13 on: May 02, 2019, 11:32:49 AM »
Oh, and then the Images and Words Live in Tokyo VHS was another thing I picked up right when it dropped.  I'd already seen the vids for PMU and Take the Time (which came out after I already had I&W), but was like, "oh wow, there's a video for Another Day."

And then of course To Live Forever is on the VHS, so I consider it a part of my initial fandom.  And then how surprising it was to hear The Mirror for the 1st time and recognize the intro as that little bit they played (Puppies on Acid) before Take the Time.

My experience with the LIT VHS was similar to yours.  They played TLF at the June 1993 show I saw.  As I've posted elsewhere, I assumed it was an incomplete song that might show up on the album that became Awake.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline MarkFitDT

« Reply #14 on: May 02, 2019, 11:48:22 AM »
Some time in 1989 I was lucky to hear AFIL and OAMT on the BBC Friday Rock Show hosted by Tommy Vance (i think) and I was half paying attention to the music until these 2 songs came on which blew me away. I went to my local independent record shop who had the album on Vinyl and the rest is history!

Offline DoctorAction

• Everyday Glory
« Reply #15 on: May 02, 2019, 12:27:58 PM »
A buddy at school had it and played it a bit. Also introduced me to Mindcrime. QR stuck straight away but I wasn't taken with WDADU. Years later was looking for something new and stumbled over the recently released SFAM on Amazon and remembered that guy from school.
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.

Offline efx

« Reply #16 on: May 02, 2019, 12:38:39 PM »
I actually didn't hear it until after I discovered them through I&W in 1992 but looking back at it I had read about them (JM & JP specifically) in an interview in Guitar Player magazine back in 89 when it had just come out.

Offline 54_diplomats

« Reply #17 on: May 02, 2019, 07:56:11 PM »
Google lol. For years I saw it as the icky first album with a bad singer since that was the impression I got from it from most fans. I decided to listen to it one day and I loved it, I think it's very underrated.

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #18 on: May 02, 2019, 08:02:45 PM »
I just went backwards from SFAM once I discovered DT. Once I got to WDADU I went "Oh ok so I&W is as far back as I needed to go" heh, not really; I loved Ytse Jam but couldn't get into any other songs.
I wouldn't want somebody with 18 kids to mow my damn lawn, based on a longstanding bias I have against crazy fucks.

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #19 on: May 05, 2019, 04:02:17 PM »
I'm a fan from back when Pull Me Under debuted on MTV, and was immediately mesmerized by the band, but knew nothing about them and didn't see anything in the zines of the time.

I ask about WDADU specifically b/c back when I got into them, that album was almost like a secret not many people knew about unless they'd been familiar with the band on I guess a local level.

There was a pretty small new/used CD store near me and sometime in I guess mid '93 or so, I was perusing the used cd's when all of a sudden I saw a cd by Dream Theater, but it wasn't Images and Words!  I looked at the liners and everyone was there except James Labrie!  I immediately bought it and as I've made clear other places (heh), I adored the album from the get-to.

Suddenly the notes in the I&W liners about "other singers" and a prior tour made sense!

I point to mid '93 as when I found it b/c I got the Live at the Marquee import (was at another music store and BOOM, there it was) soon after it was released, and I already knew AFiL and The Killing Hand on it.

I know the album has been budget re-released over time, and the original Mechanic Records version is available via Ebay at decent prices, but I have a small sense of hipster-ish pride knowing I came across it on my own, in its original form, back in the day and before the band took off.

The Spirit Of Rush Fanzine Number 8 from the spring/summer 1989.

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #20 on: May 05, 2019, 04:28:47 PM »
Went to a DT concert on a whim in 2000 with some friends. Liked what I heard but too much prog noodling. Still bought SFAM afterwards and slowly got into the band. When 6DOIT was coming out, my friend had a bootleg of it before it was released and we listened to it. I asked how he got it and he says he can get lots of stuff like the super hard to find first album that doesn't have James LaBrie. But he warned me, the vocalist was terrible. We listened and I agreed, which was stupid and closed minded because now I love Charlie.

After the WDADRU concert and the bootleg release, I was really getting into the history of DT and how cool of a story it was. I loved that they brought back Charlie and I wanted to give him another chance. I think I got the official bootleg before the album. So later I finally found a copy of WDADU (never took my friend up on his bragging of getting rare stuff. I prefer the ethical way). His voice was a bit of a shock. I didn't listen to Rush at the time but it sounded like them to my ears but I really dug what I heard. Despite the rough sound, I fell in love with the album and had that and WDADRU on a solid rotation.  Soon got the WDADU demos from Ytsejam.

Followed Charlie online and bought all of his solo band stuff, which I gotta admit, am bummed that it didn't turn into something bigger. I especially love Part 3 of the trilogy. In fact, I think it's much better than The Astonishing  :biggrin:

Made conversation with a guy at a concert in Milwaukee in 2007 and asked his opinion on Charlie and he said that's what made him like DT to begin with when he read a review that compared him to Geddy Lee, he bought the album within a few weeks of it's release.

I kind of have hipster-ish pride knowing a met someone that was a DT fan from the beginning because they are so few and far between.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #21 on: May 05, 2019, 06:55:24 PM »
Back in 1989, I was in college in Rhode Island, and I did the Heavy Metal Show on Sunday nights at our college radio station. One night during the show, I came across a new album in the bin by a band called Dream Theater. I thought that was a great name for a band. When Dream And Day Unite. That's a cool title too. I thought the front cover was um..a little queer, and the band pic on the back was worse..

During a song on the show, I dropped the needle on it "in cue", which in DJ talk, is the mode you use to line up the beginning of the next song. Unfortunately, the sound "in cue" doesn't give you the full sound. Kind of like only hearing one stereo speaker. Anyway, the keyboards really dominated the sound, and the singer sounded a little tinny. I put the album back in the bin, and completely forgot about it.

Flash forward to late 1993. By this time, I "discovered" Dream Theater at Iron Maiden's 1992 concert at The Ritz (I took my avatar pic the day of the show), had seen DT 5 times, and also owned Live At the Marquee. I understood they had a "first" album with a different singer. I ended up ordering it on import. (I used to use Worldwide CD out of Chicago). When WDADU was delivered, I opened it and ...OMG..I immediately recognized (cue the Psycho theme) the cover. HOLY SHIT, THIS was the album I sampled 4 years earlier!
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online SwedishGoose

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #22 on: May 06, 2019, 12:30:46 AM »
Was watching Headbanger's Ball on MTV late one night when Pull Me Under was played.
Either I or my friend phoned (as we used to do when something noteworthy came up).
He had When Dream and Day Unite. He had found it via a vinyl of various artist.

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #23 on: May 06, 2019, 11:05:49 PM »
As I mentioned in Rob Webster's podcast for WDaDU (pronounced "wuh-dah-doo") - https://www.robdwebster.com/dreamtheater/2019/2/2/full-circle-when-dream-and-day-unite - I discovered them when reading the album reviews in an issue of RIP! magazine back in the summer of 1989. What grabbed my attention was the fact that the review stated they were influenced by Rush, which I never saw mentioned in any other album reviews. So I had to check this Dream Theater band out. Been a fan ever since.

As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #24 on: May 07, 2019, 10:11:58 AM »
I became a fan with Pull Me Under, so once I had Images & Words, I got I&W Live in Tokyo and LATM as soon as they came out.  They both had songs I didn't know, and I eventually learned that most of them were from a previous album (maybe from a magazine interview?), so I went on the hunt. 

I finally found a copy of WDADU in a record store when I was on vacation in 1994, a few months before Awake was released.

What a letdown.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline zappafrank2112

« Reply #25 on: May 08, 2019, 10:49:27 AM »
What a letdown.

Said no zappafrank2112 ever!!!

Offline Max Kuehnau

• Emotionless Brainiac
  • Doomed to be a man this world forgot
« Reply #26 on: May 08, 2019, 10:56:52 AM »
I became a fan with Pull Me Under, so once I had Images & Words, I got I&W Live in Tokyo and LATM as soon as they came out.  They both had songs I didn't know, and I eventually learned that most of them were from a previous album (maybe from a magazine interview?), so I went on the hunt. 

I finally found a copy of WDADU in a record store when I was on vacation in 1994, a few months before Awake was released.

What a letdown.
was finding WDADU so late a letdown for you or the album itself?
"All my natural instincts are begging me to stop
But somehow I carry on, heading for the top
A physical absurdity, a tremendous mental game
Helping me understand exactly who I am"

Offline Grizz

« Reply #27 on: May 08, 2019, 10:58:05 AM »
I didn't get into the band until about 2008. By then Wikipedia was a thing so I was made aware of an album existing before Images & Words. My Dad generally regarded the DT canon to begin at I&W, though, because he couldn't stand Dominici's voice. I think he used to have the WDADU CD but got rid of it at some point. He kept around later, live renditions (mostly from Live At The Marquee) of The Killing Hand, A Fortune In Lies, and Ytse Jam. I probably listened to WDADU on Youtube or something a few times, but honestly I don't pay it much mind. I don't understand how an album's production quality can be so awful, honestly.
"I raised the baby, I changed the baby's diapers.  Whenever the baby had projectile diarrhea, I was there in the line of fire.  I even got a little in my mouth!  I sacrificed so much for my baby.  Now my baby hates me and thinks Mike Mangini is its real father!"

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #28 on: May 08, 2019, 02:52:10 PM »

What a letdown.
Definitely the album itself.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #29 on: May 08, 2019, 02:52:34 PM »

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #30 on: May 08, 2019, 03:39:14 PM »

What a letdown.
By that, do you mean primarily the production and Charlie's voice, or the songs as well?
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #31 on: May 09, 2019, 10:38:23 AM »

What a letdown.
By that, do you mean primarily the production and Charlie's voice, or the songs as well?
Primarily the production and Charlie's voice.

But there is also an amateurish feel to some of the songs.  The band just isn't quite there yet.

Offline JLa

« Reply #32 on: May 12, 2019, 02:06:52 PM »
Must have been 2002-ish. I only had a few DT albums and was looking to expand the collection. I found WDADU in a record store and it was much cheaper than the others. Perfect! :lol

From my first listen I remember I was a little put off by the vocals (I didn't know about Charlie!!), and I fell asleep some time after The Killing Hand  :blush

Cool album though! It sounds like it was recorded inside a bucket, but it is what it is. A Fortune in Lies, Ytsejam, The Killing Hand and Only a Matter of Time, what's not to like? From a bunch of teenagers? Hell yeah.

Offline Metal_Bandicoot

« Reply #33 on: May 12, 2019, 03:39:09 PM »
Wikipedia. I can’t exactly remember how I chose what order to listen to DT’s catalog, but I do remember choosing WDADU last knowing JLB wasn’t the vocalist. The most I’ve heard from the album before hand were the live versions with JLB. Oh man, it was really rough listening to to the album the first time! I really did not dig the vocals and the production was not very good. I believe I gave it two listens before saying f*** this album!  :lol

I one day matured and gave it a second chance. I actually really like it a lot now! It’s not bad for the time and budget, and CD’s vocals fit the songs pretty well. JLB would still have done a far better job though.

Offline zappafrank2112

« Reply #34 on: May 12, 2019, 04:46:22 PM »
What a letdown.

Said no zappafrank2112 ever!!!
Yeah, we know.

Yeah, and I know lot of people here don't like the album, and that doesn't stop them from stating as such.

Deal with it, son.