Author Topic: Alan Parsons (Project)  (Read 700 times)

Offline T-ski

Alan Parsons (Project)
« on: April 30, 2019, 01:10:18 PM »
Alan Parsons released a new album last week and it could quite possibly be his swansong.  I grew up a huge Alan Parson Project fan throughout the 80's but have not heard much of anything he's done over the last 25+ years, however this new track is classic Parsons and the only thing missing is Eric Woolfson singing on it......

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qImCjQ4K988
Is all that we see or seem, but a dream within a dream?

Offline stargazer18

Re: Alan Parsons (Project)
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2019, 06:03:58 PM »
I've heard the Alan Parsons Project referred to as "alternative" music for the 70's. I get why there may not be that many fans on this forum but like you I was turned on to his music in the early 80's as well by hits such as Time and Games People Play. I own most his albums, including all of his newer output as a solo artist starting in the early 90's after he and Woolfson parted ways.

He's done four solo albums up to this recent album: Try Anything Once (1993), On Air (1996), The Time Machine (1999) and A Valid Path (2004). Try Anything Once is excellent front to back, the other three have some good stuff and some okay stuff. Like his music with the Project, there's a lot of variety on his solo albums including some great instrumental tracks.

I'll have to check this new album out - thanks for posting!

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2019, 04:19:49 PM »
Have Try Anything One and On Air. Nothing since then.

Have everything through Gaudi plus a few live albums.

Great stuff.

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2019, 11:22:15 AM »
he has a video for "I Can't Get There From Here" from his new album "The Secret"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ciptb2f8Awo

the song I'm just kind of meh about,  but I am thankful for seeing the video per it shows clips from the upcoming John Francis Daley film "5-25-77" which oddly was released to a Special private Convention Star Wars anniversary screening in 2007, then came out to limited showings in 2017 (festivals I think).

And now finally in 2019 is going to be released in a more wide distribution.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2019, 11:43:13 AM »
I followed The Alan Parsons Project through the 70's and into the 80's (well, 1980 anyway) but not really since then.  He very quickly went from experimental and even prog in his own way, to pop, though a very high-quality brand of pop, in just a few albums.  Always sounds amazing of course; it just wasn't grabbing me anymore once I was fully immersed in "real prog".

I went on a binge a few years back and downloaded everything he had out there, and listened to it all.  Yep, still great stuff, sounds awesome, just not my thing anymore I guess.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2020, 08:21:04 AM »
BUMP...

Guess what's next on my list of vinyl that I'm ripping to FLAC?   A couple of years ago, a friend of mine was moving and sold me his small record collection for cheap.  Among the loot was every APP album up through Gaudi, and they are all in near mint condition.   

I've had my own copy of I, Robot for a long time, and I always really liked it.  I remembered hearing Breakdown on the radio when I was a kid, and that is still one of my favorites.   But I've never heard most of the rest of it.   So going through this as I digitize it should be fun.
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline emtee

« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2020, 09:18:32 AM »
Love them. Long periods go by--multiple years where I don't spin an album but when I do, it's like seeing an old friend.