Author Topic: What DT's Distance Over Time 2019 Tour Setlist Should Have Been?  (Read 9873 times)

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
Re: What DT's Distance Over Time 2019 Tour Setlist Should Have Been?
« Reply #70 on: May 14, 2019, 11:52:07 AM »
But if they were to do some sort of anniversary tour for SDoIT,

Please, no.

I seriously don't understand all of the gushing for this album.
It's because people like it a lot.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline robbob

« Reply #71 on: May 14, 2019, 01:03:19 PM »
But if they were to do some sort of anniversary tour for SDoIT,

Please, no.

I seriously don't understand all of the gushing for this album.
It's because people like it a lot.

SDoIT is one of their best IMO, I consider it along with SFAM as my favorites.
But, would be way too long to do both disks in their entirety. I think featuring disk 1 at some point would be cool, all of those songs haven't been represented in their sets in a few years. Or do disk 1 and replace Disappear with a couple of tracks from disk 2.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #72 on: May 14, 2019, 01:24:14 PM »
I have not asked the band this, but I would be surprised if we see any other full album anniversary tours, other than perhaps I&W or SFAM if they keep doing this long enough that we get to a major landmark anniversary for either of those again.  I could maybe see a one-off or very small string of dates at most, and I doubt even that for most of their albums (I could maybe see that happening if they change their mind about filming The Astonishing, for example). 

As far as playing Six Degrees in its entirety, that's an interesting one.  I just don't see them taking up that much time in a set for one song.  I know for me personally, even though it's my favorite song, I wouldn't really be that excited about getting it in a live show.  We have great versions on live releases between Bucharest and Score, and it would just take up so much time in a set that I just wouldn't want it to take so much time away from other things.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Mojado Ilegal

« Reply #73 on: July 03, 2019, 07:49:54 AM »
[REDACTED]
« Last Edit: July 01, 2021, 02:24:56 PM by Mojado Ilegal »

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #74 on: July 03, 2019, 12:10:27 PM »
I think it would be a great idea to celebrate the 20th anniversary of SDoIT, yeah I know fans are probably tired of full album tours, with DT13' having 1/2 of Awake and a few songs from SFaM in its setlist, The Astonishing in its entirety, the 25th anniversary of I&W immediately after, and for the North American leg of this tour SFaM, but SDoIT hasn't had any of its songs played since 2012 with that being War Inside My Head, and The Test That Stumped Them All, let alone the entirety of the second disc with its final performance in 06', I think it's about time that DT performs anything from that album. Yeah they missed the chance to perform anything from WDaDU on this tour but with for the next tour they should consider celebrating SDoIT, although they sure as hell won't do both discs, probably best if they perform a few songs from the first album or do all of the second disc.

They played About to Crash in the 2015 european tour. Still, I agree SDOIT has been neglected live for quite a while.
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline Pettor

« Reply #75 on: July 03, 2019, 02:02:48 PM »
Big yes to SDOIT getting some love! I would like if they had something similar to Awake celebration where ~4 songs are played to celebrate.

Offline Mladen

« Reply #76 on: July 03, 2019, 02:04:21 PM »
As long as there are anniversary tours, other albums will be neglected. Again, it's time for a tour where albums are represented equally as much as possible.

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #77 on: July 03, 2019, 02:55:11 PM »
As long as there are anniversary tours, other albums will be neglected. Again, it's time for a tour where albums are represented equally as much as possible.
Agreed. With 14 albums in their catalog, and an emphasis placed on promoting their current album, it's all but guaranteed that at least a few albums won't be represented in a specific setlist, but it seems only fair that the neglecting of many albums should be minimized.
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #78 on: July 03, 2019, 03:58:11 PM »
I'm still awaiting my First Evening With...that has an unpredictable setlist. Went to 3 evening withs all with an album represented, while cool and all. Im ready for a full on DT show with an unknown set.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline The Curious Orange

• Lord of the Night
« Reply #79 on: July 15, 2019, 03:40:07 AM »
OK, here's what I would have done, I'm sure you'll all hate it:

Set 1:
Pale Blue Dot
Under A Glass Moon
Untethered Angel
Peruvian Skies
Fall Into The Light
Another Hand / The Killing Hand
Room 137
At Wit's End

Set 2:
The Glass Prison
Paralysed
Moment of Betrayal
Chosen (extended guitar solo)
As I Am
Home
The Dance of Eternity

Encore:
The Spirit Carries On
Pull Me Under
"And if love remains, though everything is lost,
We will pay the price, but we will not count the cost..."

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #80 on: July 15, 2019, 04:17:43 AM »

Set 1:
Pale Blue Dot
Under A Glass Moon
Untethered Angel
Peruvian Skies
Fall Into The Light
Room 137
At Wit's End

Set 2:
The Glass Prison
Paralysed
Moment of Betrayal
The Dance of Eternity
As I Am
Home
Pull Me Under

Encore:
The Spirit Carries On

With these changes, I would enjoy the set. It'd be nice to end on a soft note.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline pg1067

« Reply #81 on: July 15, 2019, 12:45:30 PM »

Set 1:
Pale Blue Dot
Under A Glass Moon
Untethered Angel
Peruvian Skies
Fall Into The Light
Room 137
At Wit's End

Set 2:
The Glass Prison
Paralysed
Moment of Betrayal
As I Am
Home
The Dance of Eternity

Encore:
The Spirit Carries On
Pull Me Under

I'd be tempted to leave before the encore.  And you've got Peruvian Skies too early for a bathroom break song.  Another Hand/Killing Hand would be the highlight of this.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline EPIC Outro

« Reply #82 on: July 16, 2019, 08:40:13 PM »

No DT song is a 'bathroom break' song.

Offline geeeemo

« Reply #83 on: July 16, 2019, 09:43:11 PM »

:metal

Offline Addy

« Reply #84 on: July 17, 2019, 04:36:40 AM »
[EDIT] Nevermind.

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #85 on: July 17, 2019, 06:19:46 AM »

:tup
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline pg1067

« Reply #86 on: July 17, 2019, 09:10:23 AM »

You've never heard New Millennium or Repentance or The Great Debate (in addition to Pervian Skies)?
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline EPIC Outro

« Reply #87 on: July 17, 2019, 03:04:54 PM »

You've never heard New Millennium or Repentance or The Great Debate (in addition to Pervian Skies)?

I saw them open with New Millennium and it was bad ass. Got to see a great live rendition of TGD around the same time and wouldn't trade that experience. I saw James and Geoff Tate sing Peruvian Skies together, which was really cool. Wouldn't have skipped any of them. Still haven't seen Repentance live, but then precious few of us have.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #88 on: July 17, 2019, 04:46:27 PM »

I saw them open with New Millennium and it was bad ass. Got to see a great live rendition of TGD around the same time and wouldn't trade that experience. I saw James and Geoff Tate sing Peruvian Skies together, which was really cool. Wouldn't have skipped any of them. Still haven't seen Repentance live, but then precious few of us have.

Fortunately, I've dodged that bullet.  Peruvian Skies is a little better than the others, but the others I mentioned are absolute bathroom break songs -- each being the worst song on its respective album (and, in the case of Repentance, probably the single worst song in DT's catalog).  And I was, of course, being facetious about you never having heard them.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #89 on: July 17, 2019, 04:50:13 PM »

"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline TexasFury

« Reply #90 on: July 24, 2019, 10:45:14 AM »
I wanted the entire album played. Viper King is the perfect encore, especially if they expand on it. The intro could be stretched a bit more and Verse 2 is too short.

Also, if you are going to play SFAM in entirety, you might as well start off with Metropolis Pt. 1 for context.

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #91 on: July 24, 2019, 09:48:53 PM »
I think S2N could be a really cool encore if they don’t mind playing a new song for that spot.

Offline Max Kuehnau

• Emotionless Brainiac
  • Doomed to be a man this world forgot
« Reply #92 on: July 25, 2019, 06:07:48 AM »
I think S2N could be a really cool encore if they don’t mind playing a new song for that spot.
better yet: At Wit's End (imagine James singing "Don't leave me now" and then the audience would do just that :D) S2N is far too reminiscent of FII to me (as is R137) and that's not a good thing.
"All my natural instincts are begging me to stop
But somehow I carry on, heading for the top
A physical absurdity, a tremendous mental game
Helping me understand exactly who I am"

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #93 on: July 25, 2019, 09:06:50 AM »
better yet: At Wit's End (imagine James singing "Don't leave me now" and then the audience would do just that :D) S2N is far too reminiscent of FII to me (as is R137) and that's not a good thing.

I want both songs on the set, definitely :biggrin: I just think S2N has more of the "concert closer" vibe than AWE, but they NEED to play both :P

Offline geeeemo

« Reply #94 on: July 25, 2019, 09:08:53 AM »

I want both songs on the set, definitely :biggrin: I just think S2N has more of the "concert closer" vibe than AWE, but they NEED to play both :P

yes to this

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #95 on: July 25, 2019, 09:10:17 AM »

At Wit's End as an encore?  That's an interesting thought.

Offline Max Kuehnau

• Emotionless Brainiac
« Reply #96 on: July 25, 2019, 09:34:07 AM »

Ok, so it doesn't make sense to you? (that's what happens when I try to be funny. Oh well. I do have humour. An ounce. (despite being born in Germany))

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #97 on: July 25, 2019, 09:57:45 AM »
Because of the fade-out, AWE could be a really interesting encore if they expand it and let JP do his thing. I think it's a better closer to a set than an encore, but it could work either way.
Vmadera has evolved into Lonk

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #98 on: July 25, 2019, 09:58:47 AM »
I don't care where in the set it is, just get it in the set.  But yea, I think it works well for a set closer

Offline Max Kuehnau

• Emotionless Brainiac
« Reply #99 on: July 25, 2019, 10:00:43 AM »
I don't care where in the set it is, just get it in the set.  But yea, I think it works well for a set closer
in case AWE were to be the set 1 closer, then PBD should be the encore (PBD is my favourite on the album and it shouldn't be sacrificed as it were, or left off)

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #100 on: July 25, 2019, 10:25:18 AM »

Ok, so it doesn't make sense to you?

I'm not saying it doesn't make sense.  I just said it is "interesting."

I do have humour. An ounce. (despite being born in Germany))

LIES!  I know several Germans, and they have assured me that humor is quite illegal in Germany.  [/attempted humor]

Offline Max Kuehnau

• Emotionless Brainiac
« Reply #101 on: July 25, 2019, 10:30:21 AM »
Because of the fade-out, AWE could be a really interesting encore if they expand it and let JP do his thing. I think it's a better closer to a set than an encore, but it could work either way.
that was part of my thought why AWE could work (and because I'd love to hear the section after the silence to be expanded and without that obscure effect, to be frank.)

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #102 on: July 25, 2019, 06:11:30 PM »
that was part of my thought why AWE could work (and because I'd love to hear the section after the silence to be expanded and without that obscure effect, to be frank.)

I thought you were Max :laugh:

:lol

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #103 on: July 25, 2019, 07:12:16 PM »
Plot twist!

Offline RaiseTheKnife

« Reply #104 on: July 25, 2019, 08:29:17 PM »
We can all agree that Pull Me Under needs not make an appearance in this second leg, let alone as the encore, correct?